Side Story 2: First Love

When the Playboy Married the Nerd

 Listen to (Kiss the Rain by Yiruma): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCSe66pWNmc

Jaejoong’s POV:

            It was another hard day at school. So much homework to follow through, so many pages to read in one day. Of course, my parents could hire the best tutor available but I had always liked to do things myself. Achieve things on my own. And getting through high school was one of those things.

            But whenever things did get tough my only sanctuary was the park down my street. It wasn’t anything special and there wasn’t even a playground therefore, not many kids came. Unless they wanted to see the swans and ducks that occasionally came by during the spring and summer. The pond was fairly big. Big enough for maybe about 15 people or so. So it wouldn’t necessarily be called a pond but I’ve always called it that. A wooden bench overlooks the pond. This was what I called my perfect getaway. And I thought that I had it all to myself, whenever I wanted.

            Until one day, SHE came.

            I remember it as one of the toughest days of my life and as I walked up the pathway to the park I saw a small, lonely figure sitting on the bench overlooking the pond. This was my first time actually seeing someone there besides myself, so it was a very big shock. I took quiet steps towards her, and she seemed to have noticed my presence because she turned around.

            And at that precise moment, I knew that she was special.

            “Hello,” she greeted with a smile.

            At first I was too shocked at her beauty to even speak but somehow I managed a, “Hi.”

            “So do you come here often?” she asked as our eyes met.

            I nodded. “Yeah, actually, I do. Are you new around here?”

            She shook her head. “I live a few neighborhoods down. I was riding my bike around the area when I found this place. It’s very quiet and peaceful.”

            “Oh, well, what school do you go to?” I questioned.

            “SM High.”

            *Oh…so she doesn’t go to my school*

            “What school do you go to?” she asked.

            “Seoul High.”

            She nodded, as if she was accepting this fact, and went back to staring at the little white ducks floating up against the pond water.

            “So are you going to come here more often?” I asked, taking a seat beside her.

            “I don’t know.” She turned to me. “Will you be here?”

            I nodded. “Yeah, I’m always here.”

            She smiled. “Then sure, I’ll come here everyday.”

            “Promise?” I stuck out my pinky.

            “Promise.”

            And that was how it all started. With just one simple “Hello”. And soon afterwards everyday after school I saw her. We’d talk about whatever was troubling us. Whether it was school or parents. I really loved her. And never even thought about asking her what her name was because it never came up in our conversations. And I was always too absorbed in them to even bother asking. I thought that I’d have a whole lifetime with her. And to be honest, I wasn’t the coolest or slickest guy back then so it was nice to finally feel special.

            I should’ve enjoyed it while it lasted because after three weeks of this routine, HE found out. Hyun Joong must’ve been pissed about me beating his soccer team in PE. But that was only because coach chose us both to be captains and I chose Junsu first. But despite that, he followed me home after school. But instead of going home I went straight to the park, where I found the girl hunched over, reading a textbook. That was how Hyun Joong found out who she was and what she had to do with me. He probably even remembered to ask for her name too.

            But on one particular day, he decided to show himself. He reached the park before I did after school and lured her to the edge of the pond. As I was coming up the path I saw him, with my own eyes, pushing her into the pond. I stood there for about thirty seconds, trying to configure what just happened, before realizing that she couldn’t swim. I jumped into the pond and pulled her out of there but by then Hyun Joong had already fled.

            She wouldn’t wake up. So I called 911 and they came and took her away. And that was the last time that I ever saw her. It was pathetic of me to never even know her name, let alone ask for it. If I knew her name then I could’ve tracked her down somehow and apologize for not saving her sooner. And the next day, when I came to the park to find no one sitting there, it hurt me so badly. I could’ve saved her in time. I could’ve been aware that Hyun Joong was hot on my trail. But of course I didn’t know that he was THAT jealous to almost commit murder. I underestimated him.

That freshman year, after she was gone, I was newly introduced to beer, clubs, and sleeping with girls which totally changed my lifestyle before my eyes. And I learned to never say sorry and to never apologize to anyone.

I never knew what happened to her. Maybe she died, or she was so scared of coming back that she left the town. But I was always hoping to come to the park to see her sitting there, looking at the ducks and swans. And just like that, I stopped going there. I could’ve forgotten about her completely if ______ hadn’t come barging into my life. That’s why I was so surprised when she took off her glasses. Because she resembled her so much. But I had always denied the fact that _____ was my first love. Wouldn’t she recognize me as well? But she did tell me that she had amnesia somewhere in her life. But it’d be too much of a coincidence if she was my first love and if she knew about it then wouldn’t things change between us? Wouldn’t my image of her change completely?

            Or maybe…

            It already has. 

Listen to (River Flows in You by Yiruma):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhN7SG-H-3k&feature=related

_______’s POV:

            I remember my parents told me that I had amnesia when I was in freshman year. They told me that I had almost drowned and luckily, a boy was there to save me before I died. They had always wanted to find him and thank him for rescuing me and calling the ambulance. And because of the major shock that I had when I was pushed into the water, I had a loss of memory. And I don’t remember much about him, but I distinctly remember a boy. THAT boy. The one that saved me. It’s only bits and pieces but I remember meeting a boy after school everyday and we would talk. I don’t remember what about but I do remember that he was my first love. He was the first one to make me feel butterflies in my stomach and to make me feel a certain way. I’ve never thought about this until now, when I was flipping through some old photos of my family and came across one when I was a few years younger.

            My parents told me that when I was younger I was very girly and never wore my glasses because it never matched anything I wore. But after my loss of memory I didn’t care about looks and status and wore my glasses all the time. They say that my look changed and in a few years my memory will be back before I know it.

            I haven’t really given much thought to this at all, at least, not until meeting Jaejoong. Thinking back, my story and his story seemed to match perfectly, like a jigsaw puzzle. But when I thought of the possibility that Jaejoong could be my first love and I could be his, I quickly push it out of my mind. That is impossible…

            Is it?