Paradise

Suit & Tie
Chapter 1
 
Paradise


“This could be paradise”

-Coldplay, Mylo Xyloto





 

They say as a butler, your client could either lead you to the gates of paradise or your shortcut to hell.   Furthermore, the second most important reminder is that among genders, butlers often prefer a male Lee than a female one.   Among the reasons why having a female is such a pain is their excessive focus on vanity.   It is such a nightmare for any male butler to spend hours in salons and shopping malls, not to mention, the extravagant demands.   These words are what Jiyong grew up hearing from the adults serving in the Lee Mansion.   


At present, the eight year old has just became an official butler and the small bundle being held in arms of Mr. Lee’s wife is what holds his gaze for the past few minutes ever since the high-profile couple arrived.    The small family now settled in the grand living room as the servants get their things ready upstairs.


“Please let it be a boy.” Jiyong’s thoughts repeated ever since nine months ago and with fingers crossed behind his back he steps forward as soon as Mr. Lee beckons for him to come close.   His father who is standing next to the Lee’s gives him a supportive smile.  

  
“Have you been doing your studies well?” Mr. Lee asks as he places a hand on his small shoulders, looking down at him. 


“Yes sir,” he replies with all politeness, standing up straight like he was trained.


Mr. Lee smiles and compliments his father for keeping him well disciplined before looking back down at the young boy.


“Jiyong, as of today you are now a butler,” he states clearly and precisely as Jiyong replies politely yet again.


“And I am giving you a very important obligation,” Mr. Lee then carefully carries the new born in his arms, giving his child a bright smile as the baby slowly moves and wakes up.


“Kwon Jiyong from now on, you will take care of my daughter, Lee Chaerin,” he said, facing Jiyong and slowly introducing him to the little angel for the first time, her little eyes opening to see him for the first time. 


“You are to be her most loyal companion and friend unless I say otherwise,” he orders as Jiyong looks at the baby with amazement.   Being the youngest in the family, he has never seen a real baby in his life before, he almost forgot to reply.


“Yes sir,” he says before a realization suddenly breaks in his mind.  His world stops as his eyes widen at the pink band around the baby’s little wrist.


“A… girl”







#







The young Kwon sits silently on a chair of their home as he waits for his mother to prepare the food.    Still being a minor, he still stays at home with his mother in an apartment building owned by none other than the Lee’s, just twenty minutes away from the mansion and ten minutes away from his school.   


“Having problems at the mansion?” his mother’s voice gently cuts his thoughts short as he shakes his head, looking down.


“Then why the long face? You’ve been like that ever since your father brought you home,” she asks worriedly, placing the food on the table and sitting across from him. 


“Omma, I don’t want to be a butler anymore,” he says as his mother stops and looks at him in surprise.


“And why is it that you suddenly changed your mind?  You’ve always said that you wanted to work in the mansion like your appa,” his mother asked, remembering how her son had always mentioned of how beautiful the Lee Mansion was and the frequent nagging of how much he wanted to go visit the place his parents work at,  the very reason Mr. Lee took notice of him.


Jiyong’s silence made his mother stand up and walk over to his side to bend down and talk to him.  Her son had always been cheerful and active that the uncommon behaviour that he is currently showing brings her worry.


“The Lee’s are kind and help us in everything we needed.   Did they scold you?” his mother presses on, thinking of the possible reasons why her son suddenly opposes to be the one thing he had always wanted.


“Because Lee Chaerin is a girl,” he blurts out, looking back at his mother with a crestfallen look.   This however, in contrast to his down mood only made his mother laugh heartedly.     


“Aigoo, this child.”




Butler's Note 


God can you just grant my wish just once.  Can you please please turn Lee Chaerin into a boy?  I promise  not to steal bottled milk in front of Mrs. Shim’s house again.   I will be a really really good boy from now on.


-Jiyong








#







I was woken up by my nana Hye Mi into a bright morning and like usual i found it so hard to wake up.   Nana Hye Mi says that I should wake up early to take a bath and eat my meals on time that way I can be a healthy little girl.   Besides, my teacher Jung In is coming to teach me new lessons today.   But it’s just so hard!  Why can’t I sleep more?  Why do I have to eat those funny looking vitamins?   Why?  I just can’t understand adults.


Oh by the way, my name is Lee Chaerin.  I am six years old this year.  I love to sleep and play with -- 


“Jingyo!” I break in to a really fast run towards my favorite oppa.   His name is Kwon Jiyong but I couldn’t pronounce ‘Jiyong’ before so, I ended up calling him ‘Jingyo’.    I also think it’s cute!   


“Little princess Chaerin, please do not run or you’ll bruise your knees again,” I hear him say, catching me while I immediately hug him tight.   I giggle as I hear him call me by my nickname.   


I like playing with Jingyo oppa and sometimes I pretend that I am the princess and he is my knight just like in those fairy tale books.   I’d also love to have my own castle someday!  There, I can sleep and play all day long with Jingyo oppa.


As usual, he carries me up while giving a light smile to nana Hye Mi who always looks so worried whenever I would run.  Actually, everyone looks so scared whenever I run.   I don’t know why but I think it’s because of that time when I tripped and cried so hard.   My knee had blood and the little toy figurine I was holding broke into tiny pieces.   I didn’t cry because of the pain though… uhm maybe a bit.   I cried mostly because my toy got broken.   It was my favorite teddy bear figurine!


Anyway, Appa got mad when he found out.   Again, I don’t understand adults.   I was hurt and my toy is gone but appa is still mad.   He was angry at me, all of my nanas and even at Jingyo oppa.   I really didn’t mean to trip and fall.   It just happened.     Maybe if I become fourteen years old like Jingyo oppa I wouldn’t trip whenever I run.   He never trips.    


Speaking of Jingyo oppa, he is a very strong oppa.   He can carry me for hours and even while running… since I always trip.  I think he said one time that it is like eck—, ecks— er-- cise?  


I don’t know.  Maybe when I get bigger I can pronounce that word well.   


We head down the house where the eating place is.   Nana Hye Mi says all the food is being kept at that safe place so the ants and the rats won’t steal our food.  I sometimes pity the ants and the rats.  How will they eat if they can’t get food from us?  Will they die from hunger?


I feel sad.


Maybe I should hide some cookies again and leave it outside for the ants and rats.   I don’t think they are bad.   They just don’t have money to buy food.


I hope I don’t get caught. 


Jingyo oppa reaches the eating place quickly.   I would be tired if I go by myself, to be honest.   He then puts me on a chair, higher than the rest so I can reach the table and eat better.   If I sat on the chair that appa and omma sits you could only see my head.   They say that someday I will grow bigger and then finally I can sit on those chairs just like-- 


“I want Jingyo!” I suddenly cry out as nana Shin Young tries to feed me.  She’s the one who feeds me when Jingyo oppa is not around.   They say that he goes to a place called school.   It is where all the other children go to study.   I really want to know what school looks like but I think it’s so far that’s why teacher Jung In comes here instead since she is an adult.  She can travel to far places and not fall down. 


I can’t wait to grow up and travel too!


“Okay little princess, open your mouth wide,” Jingyo oppa gently tells me, holding up my teddy bear spoon filled with food.    


I open my mouth wide and ate.


“She only eats that easily when it comes to you, Jiyong-ah,” nana Shin Young says from behind.   “She only always looks for you,” she adds.   


Yup, I want Jingyo oppa to feed me because he makes stories while he feeds me.   He says that all the food are my friends and they live in my stomach.   They all need to go home so I have to open my mouth and let them all in.   I think it’s true though.    


“Little princess, you should eat even if I’m not around or I will be sad.  The food will cry too,” he pats my head and I smile at him, nodding eagerly.  


“Promise?” he asks, holding his right hand up.


“Promise!” I say, grinning and following suit before being fed again.


I will finish all my food from now on.  I don’t want my friends to be sad.  I don’t want Jingyo oppa to be sad.







#







“Jingyo, I want to be a butterfly.  I want to have wings,” I suddenly say, standing up and flapping my arms around.  Butterflies are just so beautiful.   They have very colourful wings and they love flowers like me.


“You’ll be the cutest butterfly then,” Jingyo oppa says.   He has been helping me color the butterfly picture in my new colouring book.   I should tell you, Jingyo oppa is good at anything except colouring.   He just puts any color on anything.   One time he coloured the little chickens violet.   Teacher Jung In told me that little chickens have a yellow colour.  I told oppa that but he said that they were special little chickens from outer space.   


Jingyo oppa is really strange sometimes.


“But I can’t fly.  I don’t have wings yet,” I reply, showing him my wingless back.   


He looks at me for a while.  He seems to be thinking.  Could oppa know where to get me wings?  


“Then for now, Jingyo will be your wings,” he brightens up, standing and turning around for me to climb up on his back.  He secures me by placing his arms behind his back and around me, making sure I won’t fall.   I guess he doesn’t want appa to be mad at everyone again.


“Flap your arms, little princess,” I instantly do as he says, moving my arms up and down several times.


“Fly!” he shouts, suddenly running around as I squeal in delight.   We even ran around the very long hallways of our house.   Jingyo oppa can really run fast and even jump high too.   I could feel the wind on my face and I won’t be tired too.   


It is really fun!


We play around for the whole day only stopping when teacher Jung In comes or when we eat lunch and finally after dinner he would remind me to brush my teeth before putting me to bed.  This is actually my favorite part of the day.  Oppa always tells me bedtime stories especially when appa and omma are not around.  He would make really good stories that sometimes I even dream about it.   Oppa should be a story teller.   He doesn’t even need to read me those fairy tale books anymore.   


“What will happen to the butterfly princess then?” I ask worriedly after finding out that the little princess gets lost in the woods because she lost her precious necklace.  


“A dragon suddenly appears!” Jingyo oppa suddenly says with sudden big hand gestures imitating a big dragon.   It scared me so much that I shrieked out of fright.   I thought the bad dragon really appeared in front of me.   The way oppa’s face looked like when he said ‘dragon’ made me think that he looked like one.   Oppa can be scary too, I guess.


Sometimes, I think that those bad monsters in fairy tales come out of the book at night just like nana Hye Mi says.  She said that they come out when little children don’t sleep early.   


However, it only made it harder for me to sleep.    I would cry thinking that they would come and take me away to some scary place.   Jingyo oppa had to put on a protective spell around my room after that.   He did a funny dance around my bed that I stopped crying and ended up laughing.   


I slept better after that.


“But then not to fear, her brave knight Jingyo appears and fights off the big dragon, saving the princess,” Oppa continues on as I breathe out in relief knowing that the princess is not alone anymore.


“He fights off the dragon using his sword but the dragon is also strong and wouldn’t be defeated easily,” my face was filled by worry and fear at that part.  I had my blanket near my face as I kept praying to God that the brave knight will be safe.   Jingyo oppa was now waving a ruler in the air as he acts out the scene until a final move brings the dragon down.


I was already jumping up and down the bed as the story ended.  Jingyo oppa had to hold me down and tuck me back in.   


“Goodnight butterfly princess,” he says, dimming the glow of the teddy bear lamps at both sides of my bed.  


“Jingyo, if ever I get lost you’ll save me, right?” I ask as he sat by my bed side.  


The mere thought of me getting lost in that scary forest and encountering a scarier monster made me feel so scared.  I’m so scared of the scary thought that I didn’t know how many times I’ve said the word ‘scared’.    


“Of course I will,”


“Promise?”


“Yes my princess, I promise,”



Jingyo oppa is going to that far place called school tomorrow.   I’m going to miss him again.


He’s just the best oppa in the world.







#







“Jiyong, you must be tired.  You’ve been taking care of Chaerin the whole day.  Go home and take a rest now, you still have school tomorrow,” the oldest nanny of the Lee’s, Jung So Yee, said warmly.  She has a very motherly aura in her with years of experience working for the Lee’s.   She was the one who teaches and takes care of all the employees working for the Lee household.


“Yes, Mrs. Jung.  Thank you,” Jiyong replies.  He had just gotten out of the youngest Lee’s bedroom after she finally slept.   He was tired from the whole day of playing and keeping a careful eye on the six year old but somehow, it wasn’t really that bad since the charming little girl wasn’t a spoiled brat, a usually common trait among rich youngsters.   Sometimes, he just forgets that the little Chaerin will be the heir to the multi-billion dollar corporation.  


He also knows that when that time comes his duties are going to be heavier.  A president of a corporation is a job that requires so much time.   His own father went through the hardest and most stressful times of his career when Chaerin’s father inherited the much coveted position.   


Thinking of school tomorrow, it was a good thing that he had already done his homework yesterday.   Not that he was bragging but his grades were excellent.   It made him even worthy to be entitled to serve the heir of the Lee Corporation.   He wasn’t bad at sports either since he was just recruited to be part of the soccer team by the coach himself.   


Tiredly, he sat down inside one of the cars of the Lee’s where he will be driven home by the friendly driver, Park Jang gun.    This had always been his routine every week-end and by now he is very much used to it.   When he reaches 18 he will then soon live in the Lee mansion to follow Lee Chaerin’s every move.   By then, Chaerin would be twelve and he just hopes that the only thing that would change in the little sweetheart is her physical appearance.   


But for now, he can only do what he has always done, wait.





 

 

 


 

Butler's Note 


I need new stories to tell to Chaerin. I guess I should add aliens to the story so I can teach her about the stars.  By the way, if my classmates find out about me dancing like Psy to cheer her up, my cool image is going down the drain.  I must never tell anyone about it.   I just hope Chaerin doesn’t tell anyone about it either.   Thinking of her growing up is making my head ache.  

-Jiyong


P.S. God, if you can hear me.  Please don’t turn Chaerin in to a spoiled brat.  Look, I’ve been a good boy. You know that You owe me. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A.N. Chapter 1 for you.