I Would Do Anything For You

Suit & Tie

Chapter 11

 

I Would Do Anything For You

 

Every day is a battle I face
Strange life I live, but it's what you've decided
I give it all into your hands
Do what you will with me
And I'll, I'll smile when you speak
Remember those times I was hoping for something?
And shaking my head from all that I have done
But you never left me…

…Give it up for you
I would give it up for you
I'd give it up for you
I'd do anything for you

 

Ooooh la love, I've fallen in love
and it's better this time than ever before
Ooooh la love, I've fallen in love
and it's better this time than I've ever known

 

…I have fallen in love

 

-Foster The People; Torches



 

 

 

 

 

 

I stretch my arms lightly, twisting a bit as I feel something ticklish on my cheek.  Strange, it would go away for a while but then it would come back a little later but this time it has that moist sensation.

 

 

Meow.

 

 

My eyes immediately open as I look at a little kitten sitting leisurely on my chest, looking at me expectantly.  This Siberian kitten has apparently been rubbing its fur on my face and giving quick on my cheek.   I know I should be screaming in disgust, being the neat-freak that I am but one look at those cute little eyes, that adorable yawn it just did and the way it wobbles and stumbles down on to my neck, bumping ever so lightly on my cheek, makes me smile instead. 

 

 

“Morning Hee-roo,” I say softly before taking him gently and cradling him in my arms.

 

 

“How did Jingyo even find such cuteness?” I mumble to myself before getting down the bed, making it a point to thank him. 

 

 

I immediately rush to the bathroom to wash my face and fix my hair.  I even brushed Hee-roo’s soft fur which I learned from Google, that one time when I had to research like crazy on how I need to take care of my baby cat.   Once that was done I picked up Hee-roo and headed out the door.  I have to be extra careful though not to bump in to either appa or omma since none of them know that I’ve been keeping a cat since last night. 

 

 

 But then again, am I not legal enough to take care of a pet?  

 

 

I reached Jingyo’s room, wondering if he was feeling better or if he drank his secret stash of alcohol and drowned in all his sorrow last night.   He seemed fine when I bade him ‘goodnight’ and hugged him before going to sleep.   But then knowing that heartbreaks don’t last just for a night I half expected him to be lying on the floor with a dozen or so bottles of alcohol.   Jingyo’s stash of alcohol by the way has got me in awe.   He has everything!  And it seems that all he needed is a mini-bar to place them on. 

 

 

 I think I just figured out what to give him for his 26th birthday on August. 

 

 

It was way too early right now and I’m pretty sure everybody was still asleep since even the house help and all employees have partied happily till’ midnight.   I clearly remember nana Hye Mi dancing crazily to PSY’s songs last night and rapping to this really popular, record breaking, chart topping single, ‘Nappeun Gizibe’.   It’s a very good song and all our house employees have been putting their hands up in the air, singing it loudly in those slightly drunk voices.   

 

 

To the world, please buy that single.  The singer of that song is very very very pretty, y and talented too.

 

 

Last night was really fun!

 

 

Except that Jingyo, Mi Yeon incident, of course.

 

 

Peeking inside Jingyo’s room, I was a bit surprised to find it clean and intact.  I guess Jingyo wasn’t the type to wreck stuff when in pain.   Entering his room, I practically tiptoed my way to his bed where he lay sleeping soundly.   Jingyo oppa snores too, you know but then not as loudly as those other men do.   

 

 

His face looks so tired that it made me think twice on waking him up.  Maybe I should just wait a bit then.   I place Hee-roo down the floor, letting him roam around and explore Jingyo’s room.  As I straighten up, I find an expensive-looking half empty bottle of what looks like brandy sitting on top of Jingyo’s desk.  

 

 

So, Jingyo did drink after all. 

 

 

However, what catches my interest though is the object lying beside the glass Jingyo may have used to drink in that alcohol.   It was a black notebook which to me looked like a journal.   My mind is in disbelief, I didn’t know he writes stuff too, probably some of his secrets are written in it or maybe some stuff about me.    The thought gets me extremely curious as I touch the leather cover, fighting every reason to open it and violate oppa’s most private thoughts.   I have a journal too and I definitely don’t want anyone reading it as well.

 

 

But a peek wouldn’t hurt right?

 

 

Slowly, I lift the cover up, turning it to see his first entry.   It was the day he went back from France.  Which means this journal is two years old.  

 

 

Could this be his only journal or is he keeping more?

 

 

It feels like a dream coming back home.  It’s like I still can’t believe that I have finally returned.  Thinking back at the times I felt homesick back in France, I could only smile and say ‘I have survived’.   Everything still looks the same, it’s like I never left.   I wonder about a lot of things though.   I wonder about her…

 

 

Her? Is it Mi Yeon?

 

 

Chaerin must have grown so much now.  Aside from my family, I missed that little sweetheart so much…

 

 

Oh it’s me! So Jingyo thinks of me as a sweetheart before?  How about now?

 

 

Today is her 16th birthday.  I’m planning on taking her to that butterfly garden that cute little girl, who reminded me of her, kept whining about on the plane earlier.  To be honest, I am a bit worried, worried that she has changed.   What if she’s not in to those stuff anymore?  What if she has forgotten about me?  What if she’s become rude and has tons of teenage attitude?

 

 

Seriously, Jingyo oppa is too paranoid.   Attitude?

 

 

Again out of curiosity I flip the page to the very end.    Perhaps Jingyo has written about what he and Mi Yeon fought about, that problem he was adamant not to tell me, reasoning that it was better left unspoken.  The notebook was almost full and as I flipped it all on one go I came upon the very latest words he wrote.

 

 

I love her.    She means everything to me.  I couldn’t even imagine a world without her, without seeing that smile or hear that sweet voice filled with every ray of sunshine.   I could be a poetic fool all I want but I don’t care anymore.  Even with my eyes closed I can see her, all of her, her eyes which stare on to mine makes me feel like I am in a place where only happiness resides like heaven on earth, those sweet perfect lips which I would love to feel on my own forever.  I’m drunk… but not because of this bitter liquid I drink in but by the scent of her, such innocence that I am afraid to taint.   I’m mad, crazy, a fool and I might never recover. 

 

 

I loved her for years and will continue to do so until I no longer exist in this world but even then my love for her shall remain forever.    I will love her even if she doesn’t feel the same way about me, even if she will be in someone else’s arms...

 

 

I immediately closed Jingyo’s journal, carefully placing it back to its original position as I breathed deeply.  For a couple of moments I just stood there, processing all the words I have read until Hee-roo’s fur brushes on my ankle cutting off my reverie.   I glanced back at oppa’s sleeping form, slowly making my way to his bed and lifting up his blanket to his chest, keeping him warm.

 

 

“You really love her that much don’t you?” I softly whisper before sitting by the side of his bed with Hee-roo in my arms as thoughts formed through my mind.   With a determined look, I’ve finally made a decision, a decision that I was willing to put in to action.

 

 

I’ll bring back Jingyo’s love.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You want to what?” Dara’s sharp tone almost makes my ears fall off as we sat at our usual spot at the school cafeteria this afternoon.

 

 

“Chaerin-ah, are you sure about that?  That would require a lot of work,” this time it is Bom who speaks up, keeping away her dozen or more mascaras and closing her compact mirror.

 

 

“Yes, I am sure,” I finally breathed out, placing my elbows on the table and leaning forward to let them know how serious I was.

 

 

“I want to bring Jingyo oppa and Mi Yeon unnie back together,” I repeated as both of them looked like the life was drained out of them.

 

 

“You do know that your plans have a tendency to fail,” Bom points out before sipping on her juice while Dara points at Bom, nodding in agreement.

 

 

“I was sixteen back then and besides, I am doing this for the good so the heavens are with me now!” I explain, lifting both my hands and motioning to the sky while the both of them groan.

 

 

“Fine, so we go through this crazy plan of yours.  We try bringing them back together but then what if Mi Yeon doesn’t really want to come back to him?  You told us how angry Mi Yeon was when she left the mansion,” Dara points out.

 

 

“And we don’t even know what the problem really is.  What if your oppa has done something really grave? Say, cheating?” Bom adds in while Dara nods vigorously.

 

 

“After what I read?  Jingyo genuinely loves her!  He will never do such thing!  I know him,” 

 

 

“That’s what they usually say,” Dara mutters as I give her a look.

 

 

“What? You can never be too sure.  Even the good ones have hidden evil twins inside them.  Like what my appa says, there is always two sides to a person,” Dara narrates as I breathe out loudly.

 

 

“True, but I’ve been with Jingyo all my life.  If he cheated on some girl then it is definitely not intentional.  He could have been drugged, for all we know!” I said, my tone getting desperate.  I would defend oppa whatever it takes even if I have to wage war around the globe.  

 

 

“Jingyo has been there for me, through thick and thin.  He is my bestfriend, my brother, my most loyal butler.  And he is offering his service to me for the rest of his life.  The only thing I can do to repay him is ensure his happiness.  Guys, I owe him that,” I looked at them both pleadingly before turning to my left where Youngbae was busily typing on his phone.

 

 

“Bae! Help me out here,” I say as he suddenly looks up from whatever he was doing to look at me.

 

 

“Somebody has been busy doing god knows what,” Bom comments in a teasing tone as Youngbae shyly smiles.

 

 

“When are you going to tell us about this girl?” I mutter towards him before eating a couple of chips.  Youngbae was seemingly getting red by the minute as we all looked at him curiously.

 

 

“Uhm her name is Ji Nah, we met at the cruise when we were younger, she was with her parents for vacation that time,” Youngbae explained while I secretly glanced at Dara’s direction.  My usually loud best friend has been silent ever since the topic of Bae’s pretty friend was brought up.

 

 

Dara’s silence makes me smile as I could sense something brewing deep down inside that head of hers. 

 

 

“We’d love to meet her!” Bom says happily.

 

 

“Yeah Bae, ask her to come meet us!” I agree, wanting to know more about this girl and how Dara would react to meeting her. 

 

 

I’ve always known about Bae’s crush on our dear friend but I wasn’t really sure of how Dara feels for him.  My friend has always been nice and sweet to everyone.  She also has a brother with which she loves a lot, the same kind of love she has been showing Youngbae for years.   They’ve always been inseparable too and I completely understand their closeness, a relationship comparable to what Jiyong and I have but then Youngbae doesn’t really have any obligations to care for her which only means that his sweet actions, gestures and loyalty to her are purely out of friendship and love.

 

 

Sweet.  

 

 

“Okay, I’ll ask her,” Youngbae lets out a laugh, rubbing the back of his neck while we continue on with the teasing.

 

 

“That’s something to look forwards to then,” Dara finally speaks up as I and Bom exchange quick knowing glances. 

 

 

“So… back to our earlier topic…” I began as all of them groaned once more, each of them shrinking back in their chairs and trying to busy themselves with food.

 

 

“I’m calling Daesung and dirty rat.  All of you guys are going to help me,” I declare, looking piercingly at each and every one of them. 

 

 

The silence still remained and this time I cross my arms in front of my chest, giving them my infamous icy stare before putting out my best card in the friendship game.

 

 

“How much do you love me?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Plotting.

 

 

Yes, I have been coming up with serious types of plans to get my mission to succeed for the whole afternoon.  Nobody can even get my attention earlier as I scribbled down my possible methods on how to come up with a way to bring them back together.  Anyone who keeps trying to distract me receives an icy glare which can cause heart attack and then death.   I’ve even planned on watching that hit movie ‘Cyrano Agency’.  I’ll probably even watch the drama version of it just to be sure.   All the possible romantic scenarios I have come up with still doesn’t feel right, sometimes it’s just too good to be true.  Maybe I—

 

 

“You don’t talk to me.  You probably aren’t even listening to me right now, just like how you haven’t been listening to me since I came to pick you up.  You keep staring blankly with that frown on your face and then suddenly you smile to yourself.  I’m worried that you’ve gone crazy, my queen,” Jingyo sighs beside me while driving, his tone grave and serious before continuing to mumble more complaints about how I have been acting ever since I got in the car.  He looked dead serious that he has already been oblivious to the fact that I have now zoned back in to what he was saying.

 

 

“If there is something troubling you then you should tell me.  Is there some boy bothering you?  You want oppa to take care of that problem?” he sighs again and this time I have to stop myself from not laughing at how serious he seems.

 

 

“Chae-roo, do you want ice-cream? Waffles? Strawberry shake? Café Latte?” he asks and when I don’t answer he sighs again and mumbles.

 

 

“How can I leave you like this?” now that completely catches my attention as I whip my head towards him.

 

 

“What does that mean?” I demanded, my heart pounding hard while I hold my breath, hoping that it wasn’t what I was dreading. 

 

 

A life without Jingyo… I can’t even think about it.

 

 

Those scary thoughts linger with every second that he stalls his reply and I could now feel the sting creeping in my eyes.  Imagining Jingyo leaving and being replaced by someone else is enough for me to shed tears.

 

 

“You’re leaving?  After all these years you suddenly decide that you’ve had enough of this?   Enough of me? What’s wrong?  What did I do?  Is your salary not enough?  You know we can do something about that.  It’s not a problem,”  I say, my voice starting to shake while my whole body seems like it just took a ride on a rollercoaster.  I didn’t even realize that Jingyo has already stopped the car, parking it on the side of the street.

 

 

 “See, that’s what happens when you keep things to yourself there and don’t listen carefully,” oppa laughs lightly, placing his hand on my cheek while I stare at him confused.

 

 

“I’ll never leave you, Chae-roo.  I promised that to you, didn’t I?  It’s just that I’d like to ask your permission to allow me to take a one week vacation leave,” he says, looking a little nervous, possibly due to the response I will give while I let out a sigh of relief, my body starting to calm down and relax.

 

 

“My contract states that I am entitled to a two week vacation leave every year and I’d like to use it but only for a week, if you’ll let me,” he asks sincerely, waiting for my answer and when I finally turn to him I let out what I have been trying to hold back a couple of minutes ago.

 

 

“I can’t believe you scared me like that!  I thought you were leaving me for good!!” I said, hitting his arm with my palm with every word I said as he only laughs, holding my hand before it hits him even more.  His apologies went on as I try to calm myself again.

 

 

“Shouldn’t you be asking appa and omma about this instead of me?” I say when I finally think about his request.

 

 

“Well, Mr. Lee must have forgotten to tell you that when you reach the age of eighteen I now solely work for you, Chae-roo.  Don’t worry butler Seo is taking over my place for the week I am gone,” Jingyo explains while I look at him in surprise.  To think that I am given the authority to have Jingyo do whatever I want is something huge.  Jingyo may have done everything I want him to do but even that has limits since he also receives orders from both my parents about anything regarding me.   This time I am in control.

 

 

“Where… would you be going?” I ask, suddenly getting curious on the reason why he’d take this abrupt vacation.

 

 

“I’ll be heading to my grandparents at Yeongnam… I just have to get my mind off things.  I want to give my one hundred percent when I work and these… distractions are being a hindrance to that,” oppa explains while I nod in understanding.

 

 

“It’s fine with me Jingyo.  If you want you can take the whole two weeks,”  I suggest but Jingyo insists that one week would be enough.

 

 

“I promise to be back and focus more on work,” he gives me his word with a light smile in his lips.

 

 

The car engines begin to roar back to life once more as Jingyo continues to drive me home, all the while my mind comes up with new plans, plans I will be able to accomplish while Jingyo is gone.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I’m sorry but Mi Yeon-ssi has gone on an unannounced trip.  It’s been five days since she left.  Nobody knows where she went or when she’ll be back,” Mi Yeon’s co-worker and close friend, Na Ri said looking apologetic at me.  I had contacted her through another friend of Mi Yeon’s back at her apartment building who directed me to another friend who finally told me to talk to Park Na Ri however, just like the other two, Na Ri doesn’t know where that unnie is.

 

 

“But is there any other place you might think she went to?  Property somewhere around the globe?  Favorite destination or getaway?” I try again yet from the look in her face I was bound to be given no definite answer.  I thanked her and was about to leave when she calls my attention, her face brightening up like an idea suddenly came to her.

 

 

“Mi Yeon once went to Singapore when she was feeling uninspired about her project, Sentosa Singapore,” she repeated as I smiled and gratefully thanked her several times before heading over to another table a couple of feet away.

 

 

“Do you know where she is now?” Dara asks immediately as soon as reach our table while Bom looks up at me expectantly.

 

 

“Nothing definite but she could be in Singapore,” I report as their hopeful looks fall back down.

 

 

“Hey, that’s already a start.  We are one step close to finding Nemo-- I mean Mi Yeon,” I say, trying to keep up the positive vibe.

 

 

“So we’re going to scour every single corner in Singapore now?” Bom asks as I give her a look.

 

 

“Can’t you guys be a little supportive here? And we’re scouring Sentosa,” I say.

 

 

“Chaerin-ah, we’d really like to help you but then this turning out to be a fruitless search.  The girl has suddenly disappeared at the face of planet earth and it’s like finding a needle in a haystack,” Dara points out before taking out a slice of Bom’s mango crepe.  

 

 

“Why can’t we just wait for her to come back, anyway,” Bom suggests as I shake my head.

 

 

“And when would that happen?  We can’t just stalk her place every day to see if she has returned. What if she suddenly decides to migrate or hibernate somewhere forever?’’

 

 

“Then we can bribe that bodyguard ajusshi to send us a message if she suddenly decides to return,” Dara says before looking at Bom.

 

 

“Yah give him your number, he seems to like you,”

 

 

“Eww. No, he asked for your name first, you give him your number,” Bom retorts.

 

 

“What? He asked for my name with his eyes on your milky legs,” Dara teases which earns her a slap on the shoulder from Bom.

 

 

“I can’t blame him if he did!  All men are like that,”

 

 

“Enough, both of you I’m getting a headache already,” I interject, fearing that they’d both get in to a food fight with all the cupcakes laid out on the table.

 

“Where is Bae anyway?” I ask, resigning myself to eat a cupcake and wonder what we would do once we get to Sentosa.

 

 

“Picking up Ji Nah,” Dara monotonously answered as Bom and I exchange glances.

 

 

“What… do you think about her?” Bom slowly questioned, obviously towards the Dara who shrugged and kept herself busy with her drink and the café’s menu.

 

 

“Me? She’s a nice girl,” Dara answered, seemingly forced.

 

 

“And?” Bom coaxed and this time our friend breathes out, already figuring out what we were up to.

 

 

“And everything is alright! Bae needs more female friends other them me, us! I’m happy about this change in him!”

 

 

“Can you hear that, Bom?” I slyly say, looking at Bom who easily got what I was trying to pull and played along.

 

 

“Yeah, the sharp tones in her voice are rising, the exclamation marks everywhere,” Bom flourishes her fingers in Dara’s direction before her eyes widened theatrically.

 

 

“Oh what is that I see, it starts with ‘J’…” Bom frowns playfully as if looking through an invisible sign up in the air as Dara rolls her eyes, shaking her head in disbelief.

 

 

“And it seems to end with an… ‘S’!” I continue, copying Bom’s embellishing gestures.

 

 

“It’s getting stronger, Chaerin-ah,” Bom places a hand over her temple while the other holds on to mine.

 

 

“It’s screaming out to us Bommie,” I whisper in a hoarse voice.

 

 

“Guys, Stop it. I’m not jealous!”  Dara finally spits out as Bom suddenly smacks her palm on the table, earning a slight jolt from both Dara and I.

 

 

“Lies!” Bom declares at the same time, leaning towards Dara to look at her closely.

 

 

“Okay… maybe I’m a little bit… jealous,” Dara softly says, it sounded more like a mumble while we wait for her to elaborate more.

 

 

“He… I’m kinda used to having him talk to only us and it’s just a bit… I don’t know.  Maybe, I’m going to have to adjust a little bit to this… sudden change,” she sighs as Bom nods.

 

 

“Don’t worry Dara-yah, that girl ain’t got nothing on you!  We’ll make sure that you and Bae will have a happy ending,” Bom suddenly says, snapping her fingers like a diva while Dara’s eyes widen at her words, hanging open, ready to oppose on the assumption.

 

 

“What are--!” Dara’s words drown underneath Bom’s hand while I give Dara’s a hand a reassuring pat.

 

 

“We know, we know.  Nothing to worry about, your secret is safe with us, Ssantokki,” I smiled, giving our now blushing friend a knowing look.

 

 

It’s been a day since Jingyo left.  I already miss him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Two days.

 

 

It’s only been two days since Jingyo left to go to his hometown and it will be five days more until he comes back, technically it would be six days since he would be returning in the morning.    

 

 

But then why does it feel like it’s already been two years?

 

 

  Butler Seo is so boring, he rarely speaks and only answers with a ‘yes’ and a ‘no’.  I once told him to tell me a joke, which he did in a very serious expression.  I didn’t even know how to react except let out one awkward chuckle which ended up sounding more like a cough.   Being in his early thirties, he wasn’t even that old, yet he looks so serious that if I didn’t know better I would have guessed his age to be in his mid-fifties.  

 

 

Oh dear.

 

 

Now here I am sitting on the floor with Hee-roo playing on my lap and a couple of maps of Sentosa, Singapore scattered all around me.   I still haven’t gotten any word of Mi Yeon’s return and I’m starting to believe in Dara’s words about this being a fruitless search.   That being said, I have resigned to staring blankly in to space, heavily sighing every now and then.

 

 

Meow.

 

 

I looked down to see Hee-roo looking up at me. 

 

 

“Are you hungry again, Hee-roo?” I asked, picking him up by his upper body and lifting him up to eye-level. 

 

 

“Your stomach is already bulging and it’s only been a week since Jingyo gave you to me.  The vet keeps reminding me not to over-feed you again,” I say in a tired tone yet Hee-roo only purrs at me, probably a light protest followed by the cute tail wagging slowly to the left then to the right as if waiting for me to pity him, what with those cute little eyes looking like it’s about to cry, purring once more. 

 

 

“Why are you and Jingyo so alike?  The both of you can get so adorable that I end up giving in to everything,” I mumble before placing a soft kiss on the tip of Hee-roo’s nose, standing up and heading to the kitchen with my kitten.

 

 

As I expected, the kitchen was empty since it was already late at night, perfect for my little sneaking around with Hee-roo.  Believe it or not, I managed to keep Hee-roo from my parents up until now.  Nana Hye Mi might have stepped in and caught Hee-roo playing in my bathroom several times but then she has sworn loyalty to me ever since I was a child and one word from me is enough to silence all her worries on my mother finding out.

   

 

I opened up the secret cabinet meant only for Hee-roo’s cat food as I start placing his little food bowl on the floor, pouring in the cat food in it.   Sometimes, I try to feed him Korean food too and it seems that he really likes Korean dishes with beef and chicken in it. 

 

 

I then went to open our huge fridge and take out this small pint of vanilla ice-cream, taking a spoon and opening the container to dig in this container of deliciousness.  Sitting down on the floor eating next to a very happy Hee-roo, I sigh once again my thoughts going back to my plans of bringing Jingyo and Mi Yeon back.

 

 

I guess I zoned out for a while without even realizing that there were footsteps approaching my direction.  It was already too late when I hear my omma’s yelp of fright and my appa’s gasp of surprise before taking a lot of steps back from Hee-roo, he looked like he has gone extremely pale too that in any moment now he could faint.

 

 

“Appa, omma… I can explain…”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Three days.

 

 

It’s now three days since Jingyo left and I am going crazy!  Another second of this extreme awkward silence with butler Seo and a day without any word from Mi Yeon’s whereabouts I am certainly going to die, in a metaphoric sense of course.

 

 

I can’t take this anymore!

 

 

I have even gone to extreme lengths by calling up Soo Hyuk in Japan despite the recent issue between us still left hanging in the open and yet even he doesn’t know where his sister is.   Apparently, she left him a message saying she’d be out of the country to take a much needed vacation and he didn’t need to be worried.  Mi Yeon was known to take abrupt vacations to secret getaways so this didn’t really bothered Soo Hyuk at all. 

 

 

I scrunched up my hair in frustration, reaching another dead-end wasn’t really easy to accept.  Even Dara, Bom and Youngbae feared my sudden mood drops that they did their best to distract me from thinking deeper in to it. 

 

 

“It’s obvious, this thing that is happening to you…” Dara finally speaks up as we all sat at a bench outside our campus building.  I slowly glance up to her, wondering what she was getting at.

 

 

“Bom?” Dara looks at Bom, motioning over to me, probably handing over the spotlight to her.

 

 

“You lack sleep, you can’t eat properly, you have mood swings, sudden anxiety attacks, light depression, headaches and you look very lost.  All this started three days ago,” Bom enumerates with her fingers while I stare cluelessly at them.

 

 

“In short, you are experiencing separation anxiety.” Dara points out as Youngbae places down the book he is reading and sighs.

         

 

 “You miss your Jingyo bear,” he says in a matter-of-fact tone before reaching out to bag of chips laid out in the middle of our table.  I on the other hand, started frowning at all the information they are throwing at me.

 

 

“You were like this when your Jingyo left for France, well, only that you were whinier, really emotional and very clingy that time,” Bom says, her face scrunching a bit at the thought, like it was some absolutely severe illness.

 

 

“I am not!” I countered as all three of them stared at me and answered back.

 

 

“You are!”

 

 

“Admit it!”

 

 

“Take a look at yourself!”

 

 

Am I really?  I can’t be, right? I mean, I’m perfectly stable… very fine… completely in control… nothing is wrong with me!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Four days.

 

 

It’s been four days since Jingyo left to go to Yeongnam…

 

 

“Miss Chaerin, please think this through.  Your appa and omma are not going to like this!” nana Hye Mi’s pleading voice repeats again and again as I stuff my clothes in my travel bag and continue dumping in whatever necessity I need for an out of town trip.

 

 

“And there’s only three more days till’ your Jingyo comes back!” this time it was Dara who spoke up, grabbing some of my shirts from my travel bag and returning them back to my closet.

 

 

“Four,” I mutter out loud before dumping another set of clothes inside my bag.

 

 

“Wah! Chaerin-ah, can I borrow these sunglasses?” Bom calls out from my walk-in closet, trying on one of my favorite sunglasses, a gift from one of my designer friends.  I hear Dara reprimand her, dragging her out of my closet to help talk some sense in to me.

 

 

“Dara’s right, let’s just wait here and go somewhere nice where you can take your mind off things Jingyo related,” Bom began but then I paused and turned to look at her, toothpaste and alcohol in both my hands.

 

 

“I am having separation anxiety attacks, my plans aren’t working because I can’t find Nemo—Mi Yeon, I am not even sure what I feel about Soo Hyuk and most of all I am about to die from worry that Jingyo could be in some place crying his heart out in a drunken state or worse creating self-infliction!” I ranted out as they all remained silent.

 

 

“Well… if you can’t be stopped then… we are going with you!” Bom declares as Dara holds on to the wall for support, seemingly about to faint while Nana Hye Mi rushes out to pack for her own stuff.

 

 

No way.   There is no way I am bringing them with me….

 

 

I didn’t know how but here I was boarding a provincial train with Dara, Bom, Nana Hye Mi, butler Seo and Hee-roo, which I placed in a breathable bag customized for pets.   With their company, I didn’t have to write this long dramatic letter to my parents and escape in the middle of the night alone.   I guess it’s better this way too since I don’t want the national police putting up a worldwide announcement regarding my disappearance and a fine worth millions of dollars to anyone who can point my whereabouts.  

 

 

Everything seems to be going well so far, we ate, took a short nap and chatted about for a few hours until the announcement came that we are almost reaching our destination was being broadcasted all throughout the train.   I really didn’t know what to expect.  Honestly, other than the fact that I did miss Jingyo, I have realized that if I was to make my plan work I have to actively involve Jingyo in it.    

 

 

As I finally step out of the train, I took a deep breath, the fresh air filling up my lungs as I took a good look around me.  It seems like we have to board the bus in order to reach Jingyo’s hometown so we headed to where the buses were.  I didn’t bring a car since this will only attract the media and that’s something I don’t want Jingyo’s family to be bothered with.  I may have met his parents lots of times but this would be the first time that I would be seeing Jingyo’s paternal grandparents and their home.

 

 

I was so full of confidence and excitement yet as I boarded the bus what I see will have to be a new challenge for me.  I must have unintentionally paused on the inside as Bom slightly bumped in to me with Dara just slightly behind. 

 

 

“Are those… live chickens?” Bom whispered at me as I nodded slowly.    

 

 

I haven’t really boarded a provincial bus in my life. Hell, I never even boarded a city bus in my life.  I looked around to see ahjummas and ahjusshis carrying vegetables and fruits, the combined scent of something earthy, livestock and fresh seafood wafting around the air almost made me puke, or better yet run back home.

 

 

“Oh my god,” Dara mumbled as I could feel her holding on to my shoulder for support since she seemed like she was to faint for real this time.

 

 

“Miss Chaerin, I have the seat sanitized and ready to sit down on,” Nana Hye Mi said after she had literally doused alcohol all around the seat I was to make myself comfortable for the next thirty to forty minutes.

 

 

Sitting down carefully on the seats which were meant for two, I sat down next to Bom while Dara and Nana Hye Mi sat on the front.  Butler Seo on the other hand seemed to already make himself comfortable at the seat opposite ours, looking stonily as ever. 

 

 

I was so scared to touch anything and the way that the driver was driving feels like we’ve been subjected to a mini-rollercoaster ride.  I ended up praying to the heavens until we finally got there, thankful that we are still alive.

 

 

However, as soon as I got down my world begins to stop once more.  Dara stood on my left while Bom was standing on my right.  We all looked like we have just been thrown to the middle of a battlefield, our eyes staring dumbly from left to right.   Even with the bus now gone we kept standing rooted to our spots. 

 

 

“This can’t be it,” Bom muttered as some bird caws from above us, landing unto a vast field nearby.

 

 

“Jingyo’s not here, let’s just go back!” Dara says before taking her bags and retreating back as I grab on to her arm to stop her from going anywhere.

 

 

 I started walking wordlessly towards the town proper, dragging a teary-eyed Dara with me as I felt Hee-roo waking up from his nap, his little scuffling inside the bag was a sign that he was trying to grasp our surroundings.

 

 

Towns are very interesting.  I could see some cows and chickens everywhere, people busily walking about to the markets or small convenient stores nearby to buy food.  There wasn’t really much to see except for the vast fields and the traces of simplicity around.   All the houses are small and were made by wood or clay although, there are also traces of the modern styles here and there.  The road wasn’t cemented on some parts and the dust was flying everywhere which killed me in the inside but then I just walked on and gulped whatever curse that was edging out at the tip of my tongue.  Dara had seriously gone pale and Bom was… getting hungry and tired, actually all of us were.

 

 

After questioning a couple of kind people, we managed a ten minute long walk, which felt like forever, finally reaching the house address which was placed on Jingyo’s file, something which I browsed upon before heading here.  

 

 

There was this huge red gate and the style of the house was like in those old history textbooks but one look at the plaque hanging by the side of the entrance I knew instantly that this is the Kwon residence.

 

 

Finally!

 

 

“Where are we? Who am I?” Dara groaned beside me as Bom crouched down tiredly, holding on to my left leg like a koala.

 

 

“Please tell me this is the place, I am about to die,” Bom weakly says as nana Hye Mi finally stops taking pictures and grabs out a small battery operated fan and direct it right at us for the sake of our own comfort.

 

 

I would personally like to take a long warm bath.  All this sticky sweat, dirt and grime disgustingly sticking on to my skin is making me feel so irritated.  So, without any more delay I finally pressed on to the doorbell by the gate, waiting anxiously and nervously for whomever it was opening the door.   I could hear footsteps and in a few moments the gates started to open as well.   Dara and Bom straightens up, all of us waiting expectantly to greet either Jingyo’s haraboji or halmoni.   

 

 

But then we were surprised to see a young teen-age girl, probably around her early teens peeking outside towards our direction.

 

 

“Hello,” I immediately say.

 

 

“My name is Lee Chaerin and these are my friends, Dara, Bom, Hye Mi unnie and Kye Sung ahjusshi... uhm… is Jing— Kwon Jiyong living here?” I asked as her face lightens up at my name.

 

 

“Yes, Jiyong oppa lives here although he is not here at the moment. He is up at the mountains, hiking,” the young girl says, much to my surprise.  I immediately begin to wonder what in the world he was doing up there.

 

 

“My name is Minji, by the way.  I’m oppa’s cousin—“

 

 

“Minji-ah, who is it?” an elderly female voice interrupts from the inside as Jingyo’s cousin looks behind to answer.

 

 

“Halmoni, Jiyong oppa’s beloved strawberry, teddy-bear loving Chae-roo is here!” she yells out as both Bom and Dara bursts out laughing while I hang my head so low.

 

 

“This is your Jingyo’s house alright,” Bom nods happily while I try to think of ways on how to bury myself a thousand feet away from the world above and hibernate for a hundred of years.

 

 

By this time, the gate opens wider as an old lady, presumably Jingyo grandmother, stands next to Minji.  We immediately introduce ourselves, bowing and greeting her politely as she smiles kindly and I could tell that she looked lovely back in her youthful years. 

 

 

“Chae-Rin-ssi, I’m happy to finally meet you in person,” Jingyo’s grandma says, reaching out to gently pat my cheeks and motion us all inside.  She reminds me so much of my own grandmother and I already feel this sort of warm feeling towards her.

 

 

 “Come in! Welcome to our humble home,” She says, taking my hand in hers as she leads us inside their house.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chaerin’s Note

Jingyo’s grandma is so nice to us.  She treats us like long lost relatives and has food immediately prepared for us.   I observed how she loved patting either my head or my cheeks.  Furthermore, she keeps promising to feed me lots of sweet strawberries from their own greenhouse.  Even Hee-roo is given lots of milk.   I really like it here!  The house may be way simpler and smaller than ours but it is filled with the warmth of love.  Plus, it’s really clean! 

 

 

I might stay here for a while….

 

-Chae-roo

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A.N.: 

 

Chaerin's on a mission as you can read and we all remember the last mission she did, don't we?  Hmm what could possibly be the end result of all the upcoming crazy plans she is about to do? The answer.... let's find out next week!  Because believe me, even I don't know.  I tend to write without a specific plan.   What i do know is the how the very end of the story will go and I am sorry I am not going to tell you.

 

So there, go ahead and tell me your thoughts, hate me for ending the chapter like that or comment about whether Jingyo will survive hiking in the woods, write anything!  I shall read them all, much to my satisfaction.

 

All your comments are so interesting, some are making a good point while others make me laugh out loud.  

 

THANK YOU TO ALL THOSE WHO SUBSCRIBED, COMMENTED AND UPVOTED
 


198 subscibers and counting!! 

 

For those curious about what Jingyo's and Chae-roo's darling kitten son, Hee-roo, looks like-- he is an orange Siberian breed of cat, they are extremely cute and loveable >>>  http://dappled-light.tumblr.com/post/11710296713/you-guys