Shot At The Night

Suit & Tie

Chapter 13

 

Shot at the Night

 

Once in a lifetime, the breaking of the roof
To find that our home, has long been out grown
Draw me a life line, 'cause honey I got nothing to lose
Once in a lifetime (Once in a lifetime)
Once in a lifetime

 

Give me a shot at the night
Give me a moment, some kinda mysterious
Give me a shot at the night
Give me a moment, some kinda mysterious
Give me a shot at the night

 

Killers; Direct Hits

 

 

 

 

 

 

Three.

 

 

Jingyo has had re-filled his plate three times as I sit down on the table across from him, silently watching him chow down everything on his plate like some food destroyer.     The first time he asked for a refill, his mouth was full that he only managed a pursed smile at me.  I was quick to refill everything since I was the one who insisted he sit still and let me go get the food.   The truth was I was afraid that one more shake on his head and he is going to completely lose it.   Imagining it is just…

 

 

 

 

Patient: Kwon Jiyong

Diagnosis :  Excessive smiling and staring which makes delusional patient Lee Chaerin even more crazy.

Medication: Food, more food, his suits, neckties and a vanity area so he could be fresh like peppermint~

 

 

 

 

I snap out of it immediately, straightening myself up and almost choking on my own saliva when I see oppa looking at me in that same awkwardly strange manner... again.    I’ve been getting meaningful looks and mysterious smiles from his family all day, him doing exactly the same thing just makes me believe that the Kwon clan shares the same trait.  But then being with Jingyo for all of my life just questions this fact.   Oppa doesn’t really do that.

 

 

He really has to stop.  

 

 

“M-More?” I ask, noticing his plate was already clean.  It’s amazing, really.  Jingyo has always been so proper and gentleman-like in every way that it’s just appeared odd to see him gobbling down all his food but then I’m certain that he hasn’t starved as much as he did climbing up that mountain either.

 

 

Oppa shakes his head, patting his stomach signifying that he is full.

 

 

“It was a good meal and also prepared by you so it’s the best I had in years,” he says, there’s this feeling of melancholy in his tone as he smiles to himself and however sweet his words are I’m just mentally taking note of all the best brain surgeons in the country.

 

 

What the heck has that mountain done to him? Could there really be… forest nymphs?

 

 

My eyes catch sight of the cut near his eye again and I know well enough that a wound needs cleaning and immediate medication before it gets an infection.  Remembering the first aid kit I saw in the bathroom earlier, I decided to go and do the task myself.

 

 

“Oppa, we need to clean your wound.  I’m just going to get the first aid kit at the…” my words trail off as I notice his gaze looking at the table blankly.  He seemed to be in deep thought, something which he has been falling in to every now and then since he came back. 

 

 

Great. There he goes again.

 

 

I sigh, looking up to the heavens before mumbling my complaints.

 

 

“You don’t talk to me.  You probably aren’t even listening to me right now, just like you haven’t been listening to me for the past hour or so.   You keep staring blankly with that serious expression on your face and then you suddenly you smile to yourself… or at me.  I’m worried that you have gone crazy, my knight,” I sigh heavily again as I see that my words seemed to have no effect on him.   Probably the only thing that changed in between my ranting was that smile plastered on his face… again!

 

 

Let me try this one more time.

 

 

“Oppa, if there is something or someone troubling you, you know that you can tell me about it.  Is this is about the break-up?  Did something happen up in the mountains?  Have you been bewitched by a forest nymph?  Just tell me,” I say as calmly as possible.

 

 

Nothing.

 

 

It’s not working at all.   So, I guess I should just act by myself and clean up his wound with or without his consent.  But one look at his state just makes me think twice.  

 

 

“How can I leave you like this?” I say, more to myself than to him.

 

 

‘What do you mean?” oppa suddenly blurts out, an alarmed look on his face while his hand moves on top of mine, keeping a gentle yet firm grip over it.    

 

 

“You are leaving?  Where are you going?  It’s the middle of the night and it’s dangerous outside.  I’ll come with you!  D-Don’t you trust oppa anymore?  These cuts are small and mean nothing.  I am still capable of protecting you.  I swore to you, your parents and myself that I would,” I can already tell how hard he is taking all this and it is taking me more just to keep my laughter from exploding any minute now.

 

 

Why does this all feel like déjà vu?

 

 

“Oppa…” I began, trying to cut in on his reasons and explanations. 

 

 

“Jingyo,” I try again while he busily enumerates everything on his resume and how he is willing to do anything for me. 

 

 

Oh boy, here it comes.

 

 

I just couldn’t hold it back anymore.  His serious expression is priceless.  I finally burst out in a fit of giggles when he mentioned about our pinky swear when I was eight, the time when he promised he would protect me from those evil things at night.   How he talked about it was the funniest thing, like it was some presidential agreement or something.  By now, I could feel his confused gaze on me.   I had a hard time calming myself and when I did I had to wipe out the tears of joy at the side of my eyes.  Even my palms were hurting from tapping them hard on the table along with all my laughter, a habit I’ve had since I was young.

 

 

“See, this is what happens when you keep things to yourself and don’t listen carefully,” I tell him as he stares at me with that lost look.

 

 

“I’m leaving to get the first aid kit but I’m having second thoughts of doing that because you look like you’d suddenly break in to a song and run back to the mountains any moment now,” I explain and this time it is he who lets out a laugh of relief.

 

 

“So you are using my own words against me now?” he asks while playfully shaking his head dejectedly.

 

 

“Well, I learn a lot from you, Jingyo,” I reply before getting up to get the first aid kit yet a hand clamps on to my wrist immediately.   I look back to find oppa holding on to me, his eyes wide in alarm yet again.

 

 

“Where are you going now?” he asks and I could hear the urgency in his voice but I just can’t understand why.

 

 

For some reason, he seems quite edgy tonight.

 

 

“To get the first aid kit,” I say in a matter-of-fact tone, giving him a look that says ‘haven’t I told you this before?’

 

 

“I’ll go with you,” he quickly tells me, getting up as well.

 

 

“But the bathroom is just over there!” I exclaim in disbelief while he only looks at me like it wasn’t anything at all.

 

 

“Chae-roo, you should know that this place has bugs, mosquitoes and crawling reptiles.  I don’t think it’s safe for you to walk alone,”

 

 

I know that somehow he has a point but then what are my chances of encountering another bug like the one this morning.  I shuddered at the thought of all the bugs and worms I saw in just one day.  But then, if you think about it I just believe that he following me to the bathroom is something that doesn’t need this much security.    Plus, I’ve just learned to run away from bugs upon the first sight, grab a slipper and return with vengeance to crush them with it.  

 

 

“Oppa, I don’t think it is necessary anymore, I can fight off the bugs now,” I say with much pride but then he keeps insisting otherwise.   

 

 

“Really? But then you haven’t encountered snakes yet and there could be one inside the bathroom right now,” oppa informs me, taking the lead, his hand never leaving my wrist. 

 

 

Well, I’m not complaining on this one.  Snakes are just a different kind of level.

 

 

“Is there a snake inside?” I ask once he enters the bathroom to look around.

 

 

“The room is clear, Chae-roo.  No snakes,” oppa reports before I take a peek inside.  I then take the anti-bacterial ointment and some clean cloth before working on cleaning oppa’s cut.

 

 

We sat by the bottom of the stairs while I start swabbing ointment on oppa’s wound.  I don’t know if it was just me but his slight wincing was making me wince in pain as well.  It’s like as if I was the one who had a cut.  I immediately blow softly on the cut; something I know always lessens the pain.    

 

 

I was intensely focused on doing the job that I hadn’t noticed how silent Jingyo was the whole time.    When I finally get my senses together, I noticed how close our faces are.   I felt the rush of blood to my face that I was just thankful that it was night time and the light wasn’t that bright.   Hopefully oppa didn’t notice me blushing but then I wouldn’t really know since I was avoiding his eyes.

 

 

Why am I even blushing?!  Lee Chaerin, snap out of it!

 

 

I quickly moved away by instinct and ended up clumsily letting the ointment and cotton rolling down the floor.   Flustered, I tried to pick it up but oppa beats me to it.   He hands it to me and I fake a yawn.

 

 

“I’m getting sleepy.  Uhm… you should get some rest now oppa,” I say, trying to avoid any awkward air between us, well, at least on my part.

 

 

I know that I may be over-reacting but then I just can’t help but feel that way.  Ever since oppa got together with Mi Yeon unnie, I started trying to avoid intimate contact with him in the most non obvious manner.  I took trips abroad without him in the past two years, reasoning about my ignorance to handling things alone.   I had to be thankful for Soo Hyuk’s presence in all my travels for this was what made my parents agree to my wishes.   Well, my omma likes him a lot.     However, these past few weeks I was having a slightly hard time avoiding having these ‘intimate’ moments, on my part, with Jingyo.   The number of hugs had started to increase again.  All of which has started when they broke up.

 

 

And that is why I really should bring them back together.  

 

 

If I don’t, I’ll end up right back from where I started.   If I let my guard down and let my heart take over like before, the next time he gets a girlfriend I would inevitably go through the same ordeal just like before.   I know what I am to him now and I have slowly learned to accept it.

 

 

I don’t want to go through the same pain again.  Once is enough.

 

 

“Chae-roo,” I hear oppa call me from behind so I turn to look back at him.   

 

 

“Thank you,”

 

 

His words made me feel light and warm.   He always had that effect on me.

 

 

“This is nothing compared to everything you did for me, Jingyo,” I say with a smile before placing a hand over the door knob to the room I and the girls are staying in but a firm grip wraps around my arm.

 

 

How many times is he going to do this to me?

 

 

I was about to open my mouth and ask yet all I felt are warm arms wrapping around me.   I feel like any moment now I can sink in to all this.  And just when I was getting a grip on reality his words pull me back in.

 

 

“Thank you for being in my life,”

 

 

“I’ve given you headaches, oppa,”

 

 

“There were none,”

 

 

“How about teen drama,”

 

 

“It’s nothing,”

 

 

“I made you go with me to the salon and the mall for hours,”

 

 

“It’s…  I’ll go with you again,”

 

 

“You don’t really have a choice,” we both laughed, remaining in each other’s arms all this time.  I tapped his back lightly, thinking that it was time to break the hug and go to sleep.

 

 

Another unavoidable hug.  

    

 

But Jingyo doesn’t seem to want to do just that.  This hug is soon passing the line between comforting warmth and awkwardness yet oppa’s hold on me hasn’t loosened for even one bit.   My hands which were resting on his back are now already at his sides.  My head is already leaning on his shoulder and any moment now, I would be starting to count sheep or ants if this keeps up.

 

 

“Oppa?”

 

 

Silence.

 

 

“Are you sleeping?!”

 

 

Silence.

 

 

“Oppa, you can’t sleep here… not like this,”

 

 

Silence.

 

 

“I know I am squishy like a teddy bear but this does not mean that you really turn me in to one,”  I sighed.

 

 

“Five more minutes, Chae-roo,” he finally says in a sleepy tone and just like that his arms tighten around me even more.

 

 

“Five?! But…”  I thought for a second and then when I deemed it useless I gave up reasoning.  Even in his sleepy tone he seems serious in reaching the five minute mark.

 

 

“You smell like strawberries,” he comments and I groan in protest.  I have had it with the word already.

 

 

“Your family seems to think that I am a certified strawberry addict and I have only you to blame,” I grumbled.

 

 

“Is that the only thing you ever used to describe me to them?” I asked, curious about the fact.

 

 

“Maybe, maybe not,” he slyly answers as I slap his arm playfully.

 

 

“You and Minji are just so alike,” I scoffed as he gives out a chuckle.   We plunge back into silence, still remaining in this record breaking hug.

 

 

“Chaerin…” he begins to say and I felt a bit of a surprise with the way he calls me.   I’ve heard him say the first time a while ago but then I just brushed it off and now it feels really strange.

 

 

He never calls me that way.  I’m always ‘Chae-roo’ to him.

 

 

“I want to tell you something…” this time he loosens the hug for just a bit but even then his arms were still around me as he gives me an intent gaze.

 

 

“Chaerin, I—“

 

 

Creak.

 

 

The door of my room suddenly opens wide and by instinct I jump out of Jingyo’s arms, pushing him away, like we were secret lovers caught in the act.

 

 

I think need to slap myself and get my senses back.

 

 

The intruder—I mean person who opened the door was none other than Bommie whose face was covered in her nightly face mask.  I gave out a short yelp and hid behind Jingyo, almost thinking that Bommie was a reaper ghost or something.   The look she was giving us both though was just full of suspicion. 

 

 

“Chaerin-ah! I see that Jingyo bear is already here,” Dara says from behind with her own face covered in facial cream, taking a peek at us from the inside.  Thankfully she didn’t see what Bom had caught when she opened the door.

 

 

 Speaking of Bom, she has now her hands crossed over her chest, looking at us piercingly in her fiery-looking pajamas filled with printed pictures of corn.  Oppa gives a humble bow, greeting her and Dara before wishing them a wonderful night.  He gives me one last look, a smile on his face as he bids me sweet dreams.  He then slowly walks back to his own room which he now shares with butler Seo at the other end of the house.

 

 

I, on the other hand, innocently tried to make my way inside but Bom blocks my path with her arm stretched and her hand on the door frame, making it impossible for me to enter.

 

 

“You and I need to talk,” Bommie says in a serious tone as I look down in defeat.  I already know what she wants to talk to me about.  

 

 

I could only wait breathlessly for whatever kind of BOMb she is about to throw.

 

 

“So, since when did you get secretly married to Jingyo bear?”  she says while Dara who overhears our small talk gasps from behind. 

 

 

“Wait! What?! This is really her husband’s family?” she hisses, trying not to make so much noise since nana Hye Mi was already sleeping with her own face covered in cucumber and mud pack.

 

 

“Yes Dara you heard right, we have been deceived by this strawberry daughter in-law right from the start,” Bom nods in full confidence.

 

 

This is going to be a long night.  Maybe I should go hiking up at the mountains…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We came at the right time.

 

 

There is a festival going on around the whole town!

 

 

The atmosphere is bright and happy as the neighbours all go out to help each other in making the community center pretty.   I have been told by haraboji who is one of the very important town council members that there would be parades, dance presentations and competitions later on.   Plus, there will be this sort of huge dance party by the end of the day which we have to attend since our presence in the town has brought up quite a stir among neighbours.   News here travels really fast.   Everybody just knows each other, a usual trait of every small town.

 

 

Presently, I have no idea how I got myself in to all this but to hell with it.

 

 

When we decided to watch the main events of the festival we had no idea that we would be joining in on the games.   I found myself running at a relay with nana Hye Mi and Minji, Bom and Dara got themselves in a watermelon eating contest, and butler Seo got to carry nana Hye Mi at a couple game.  Winning wasn’t that important since everything was fun and we all had a good laugh so all we really have to do is enjoy.   Plus, we even got to cheer for Jingyo who played in the basketball competition with some of his childhood friends.   I can’t believe how un-lady like my screams were that Dara and Bom teamed up on clamping my mouth down to avoid all the curses I rapped whenever some player blocks or knocks Jingyo down.

 

 

BEEP you little BEEP!  You skinny little stick snap back like a throwback!  On your knees BEEP see THIS ring? I’mma carve it on yo’ face!  BEEP! You’re about to see red! BEEP!

 

 

I guess I did get a little carried away at some point.

 

 

Oppa’s team won, of course and I could feel Bom, Dara, Minji and even nana Hye Mi’s penetrating stares as oppa immediately ran towards me and hugged me.   I didn’t really care, I was too happy his team won.

 

 

We went back home after the parades, games and performances.   Even though my body was tired from all the activities a while ago we still had to wash up and dress nicely for the dance later this evening.

 

 

Now what should I wear?

 

 

I look over towards Dara and Bom who have just pulled in Minji.  Apparently, they are giving Jingyo’s fifteen year old cousin a make-over.  Minji, also now fondly called Minki by Bommie, has finally sat down in front of the mirror after so much convincing from these two crazy people.   I could remember how much they tortured me in to spilling whatever it is that hasn’t been spilled yet between me and Jingyo, and by torture I mean pulling out my favorite designer clothes and threatening to cut them in pieces.   I have also been subjected to all their tickling and pillow smacking.   I did manage to convince them that oppa and I have always acted that way back at home and such thing by the likes of hugging or giving meaningful smiles isn’t really new to us which is absolutely true.

 

 

“Chaerin-ah, how does our Minji look?” Dara asks, proudly showing me their handiwork.   Taking a look, I smiled knowing that I have expected nothing less from these two campus queens.  They gave Minji a look that is only proper for her age, the simple make-up and hair really complimented her features.  

 

 

“Perfect!” I complimented quickly.

 

 

“Minki-ah, believe me when I tell you that Rin-Rin rarely gives compliments like that.  The ice queen has very high standards,” Bom tells Minji who smiles brightly. 

 

 

“Ah then I guess it’s only right that I give you this,” I say, pulling out one of my favorite Chanel bracelets and placed it around Minji’s wrist. 

 

 

“Unnie, this is too much!  This looks very valuable.  I don’t even think that it is right that I should accept it,” Minji gasps, her eyes glued to the bracelet in wonder.

 

 

“It is.  I bought it from New York when I went there for vacation and now it is yours,” I say firmly.

 

 

“You said it yourself, you feel like you know me better than most people and I feel really close to you since you and Jingyo are alike in many ways.  So, that makes us sort of sisters, right?” I say as she surprises me by giving me a bear hug.

 

 

“Aww I want a hug too!” Dara protests and before I could say anything I have found myself in a group hug once Bommie joins in as well.

 

 

“Guys… I can’t breathe… yah!” I complained, being the one right at the middle.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Who knew towns also knew how to party?

 

 

There is music everywhere and people are just happy to be able to enjoy their food, home-cooked meals brought in by the people to share with the rest.   The atmosphere of a party here is so much different from the one back in the city.  Here, people are really having a good time and just enjoying each other’s company.  The town’s mayor, a close friend of haraboji’s has opened his house for everyone to dine and dance in.   Even the children get to enjoy the festive atmosphere.   

 

 

As soon as we arrived my line of sight gets filled with none other than Jingyo.  I almost forgot that this oppa has a habit of popping out of nowhere.  He ushers us to a table inside the house he had reserved earlier.  There were more tables outside and I wouldn’t mind joining most of the people but then because haraboji wanted to introduce us, mainly me, to important town figures we ended up looking like VIP guests, something I wasn’t planning on being, to be honest.  This reminds me a lot of my normal life only more simple.  I was last to sit down as I kept being pulled aside by either haraboji or halmoni to be introduced to more relatives of the Kwon clan.  And please don’t get me started with anything related to the word strawberry because I am about to turn in to one any time soon.

 

 

Nevertheless, we enjoyed the night.  It didn’t take long before we all started blending in.  Jingyo’s relatives were all very warm and funny.  The music never ends and when I was being pulled in to dance by oppa’s cousins I just couldn’t refuse.   Even nana Hye Mi has found herself a dance partner, our next door neighbour ahjusshi.    Bom, Dara and Minji are having fun ogling over one of Jingyo’s cousin’s six month baby.

 

 

After some fun, crazy group dancing with some of Jingyo’s relatives, the beat suddenly turns in to a slow one as people start pulling their significant others to the dance floor for some sweet mellow dancing.   I spin back towards Bom and Dara’s direction when I suddenly bump in to oppa.  I almost gave out a short yelp due to my surprise at his sudden appearance but ended up letting out a light laugh.

 

 

“Jingyo!  I thought that serious talk you and haraboji are doing would take more than a night to finish,” I joked as he shakes his head, smiling.

 

 

“I just needed to get his very important advice on something,” Jingyo says as I coincidentally found myself gently swaying with him.

 

 

Crap!  Another intimate moment…must…avoid and…get away…quick!

 

 

I glanced at Dara and Bom’s direction wanting to use them as an excuse to avoid dancing with oppa.  It’s not that I don’t want to, to be honest, I have all the energy in the world to dance with him till midnight but I need to snap myself out of this. 

 

 

Reality. Reality. Think of reality.

 

 

I began to raise up my hand intending to wave at my friends, trying to make it look like my presence was needed over there.   However, my plan backfires as oppa mistook the signal as he suddenly holds my hand and places his other arm around me.  His body sways me to the right, blocking himself in between me and my line of sight to my friends.  

 

 

No. No. No. Reality… is now non-existent.  Need… to fight this.

 

 

“Is there something wrong?” oppa’s worried tone gets me smiling instantly.  The last thing I want is him misunderstanding my troubled look and making him think that I detest dancing with him that much.

 

 

God, please let me hang on to reality for at least until this really, really slow song finishes.

 

 

“Nothing oppa, it just feels weird dancing under the clear night sky in an occasion were nobody really cares about etiquette or social standing,” I answered which was quite true since it really is the first time I would be dancing in such atmosphere.

 

 

“So, you don’t find this very simple, dusty town… boring?” he asks and I shake my head quickly.

 

 

“No, of course not! I like it here, everybody is so warm and giving,” I smile at the thought of all the kind people we’ve met in our short stay here.

 

 

“You don’t mind the germs, the insects or the small bathroom?” oppa asks again and I wonder why he keeps asking me all this.   He must know me well enough to know that all those trivial things don’t really matter to me anymore.   The beauty of the place has covered all those flaws.

 

 

“I can just clean myself at the end of the day, the insects don’t bite, except for those nasty mosquitoes, and the small bathroom is kinda’ cozy to me now,” I enumerate happily, every word I have said, I said in all sincerity.

 

 

“Would that mean that you’d want to come back here for a much longer vacation?”

 

 

“Yes! Definitely.  I would love to visit haraboji and halmoni often, especially when the strawberries are ready to harvest,” I quickly answered.  My head has now all sorts of dates planned out already for my next visit.

 

 

I notice oppa’s smile grow wider at every word I said and somehow, it makes me happy to see him throw some of his infamous smiles more and more.   As much as possible, I don’t want to see him sad anymore.  The image of him breaking down pitifully during my eighteenth birthday still affects me so much.

 

 

“I’m really glad you like it here.  I hope none of my relatives were getting too annoying towards you,”

 

 

“Nope, they are the nicest people in the planet.  I like them a lot, especially Minji,” I say as I glance back at Dara and Bom goofing around with her.

 

 

“Ah well, Minji has a lot of insight for someone as young as her,” Jingyo says with pride while I nod my head in agreement, suddenly remembering something I asked Minji, the very thing I was so curious about and before I could bite down my tongue to stop myself the words spill out.

 

 

“Oppa, what is the reason why you and unnie broke up?”

 

 

I felt him tense up a bit to my question that I mentally punched myself for picking a perfect time to ruin such a beautiful night.

 

 

“It wasn’t her fault, it is all me…”

 

 

His answer only gave me another hundred questions and for a second I almost believed on Dara’s words about people always having two sides and no matter how good a man is there is still a dark thorn hidden deep down.

 

 

“What… happened exactly?” I asked softly as our swaying ceases, our dance finally coming to an end.   I could see how he was avoiding my eyes.

 

 

“Haven’t we known each other since I was born?  You know I’d never judge you,” I urged on as he holds on to my hand finally finding courage to look back at me.  The look he had seemed to be of pain and sadness yet I could still be wrong.   I feel like he is trying to hold himself back from telling me something but I just don’t know what or why?

 

 

He pulls me gently by the hand and takes my aside from the crowd and in to a quiet area somewhere at the back of the house.  We sat at a bench as I prepare myself for whatever he has to say.   There were fireflies at this side of the house, flying around the trees and bushes.   It would have been really romantic if the situation was different.  It would have been much better if my 'boyfriend' took me here so we could enjoy the scenery and kiss under the sta—

 

 

I need to stop dreaming.

 

 

Jingyo draws in a deep breath before turning to face me with those charismatic eyes and why can’t we just be togeth—

 

 

I really need to stop dreaming.  These fireflies have some kind of effect on me…

 

 

I think made a wrong decision coming here after all.   This trip is awakening more and more feelings I should have buried a long time ago.

 

 

“There are a lot of things I am to be blamed for, Chaerin and what I did to Mi Yeon is… just wrong,”

 

 

“But aren’t we all given a lifetime to right all those wrongs?”  I countered.

 

 

“I know and… I want to make it right by finally following my heart, to where it belongs, to where it wants go and--”

 

 

“And that’s why we are going to Sentosa,”

 

 

“Yes we are— what??”

 

 

“We are going to Singapore, oppa.  That’s where Mi Yeon unnie is right now!”  I say with all finality. 

 

 

I’ve had the plan in my mind for days and each hour ticking away means that we are losing time.   After all, unnie may not be there anymore and we may never be able to find her after that.   I must get them to talk without shouting and slamming doors, put in a romantic dinner and some honest heartfelt talk then finally bring them back together.

 

 

And finally oppa’s heart will be complete again.

 

 

“But Chaerin I don’t—“

 

 

“Jingyo, listen to me, this will all end if you guys talk together and make peace.  Women want to be fought for and be given effort to, you know,”

 

 

“I know that but that’s not—“

 

 

“No more buts oppa.  Look, I’ll just tell appa that I want to go inhale Singaporean air and probably check some of our businesses there.  He’ll never say no to the last part and once we get there I’ll help you find her,” I reason out as I look at his face for some sort of agreement.  He seemed to be thinking a lot, then suddenly he rakes his fingers through his perfectly styled hair while shaking his head and mumbling non-audible words to himself.

 

 

I’ve seen him like this before… still gets me worried to be honest.  Maybe we really should have gone to the doctor yesterday.

 

 

“Ah… why are you so clueless?” I hear Jingyo mumble, now scrunching up his hair while I try to get him to find his senses.

 

 

Should I slap him?

 

 

“What do you mean clueless?  I’m giving you a chance to redeem yourself and fix your broken heart.  What good would climbing up the mountains and staying cooped up here with the chickens do?”  I hear him sigh heavily, looking blankly in to space like he has given up on a race or life.

 

 

“So, what do you say?  You and me going to Singapore and figuring how—“

 

 

“You and me… just the two of us?” oppa cuts in, his head whipping at my direction.  To my surprise he looked like his spirits just came back from wherever planet he flew off to.  Even the tone of his voice has this tinge of excitement in it, just like the Jingyo I’ve always known.

 

 

Thank god, I think my brilliant idea has finally sunk down inside his system.

 

 

“Yes, it’s just the two of us or do you want someone to tag along—“

 

 

“No!” his immediate answer takes me in to an abrupt halt as I look at his eager eyes.

 

 

“I mean, it’s better if nobody else knows,” he says, nodding and clearing his throat.   The smile of his face, however, was what I hope a clear sign that my plans aren’t going to fail this time.

 

 

“Oppa! unnie!” I hear Minji’s voice calling from behind as she hurriedly walks over to us with that meaningful smile on her face, looking at me then at Jingyo.

 

 

“Minji-ah, did Dara and Bom get hungry again?” I asked jokingly as she grins.

 

 

“Well, the desserts the ahjummas did earlier are finally being offered so the crazy unnies went to get some,”  she says before holding up the camera in her hands.

 

 

“Minji loves photography.  She’s like the official photographer in this town,” Jingyo tells me as I nod.

 

 

“Yes I am and photographer Gong is now here to take your official photo for the night!” she says proudly before aiming the camera at us.  I immediately smile at the camera, leaning a bit towards oppa who had this cocky smile on his face.

 

 

“Uhm, could you two get a little closer, the angle isn’t right here,” Minji says from behind the lenses as oppa and I comply immediately but then as soon as we pose she stops and looks at us.

 

 

“Aren’t you two bestfriends?  You got to do better than uncle Kwon and uncle Lee’s picture.  Both your appas had their arms around each other, you know.  Your poses are lame compared to theirs,”

 

 

“Wait, does this mean that you are hanging up our picture on the wall too?” I asked in between all the laughter.  I have to admit, the kid has a point.

 

 

The ‘bromance’ going on between our fathers is just incomparable to be honest.   

 

 

“Yah, we can do better, just you wait,” Jingyo pipes in, his cool and confident tone rising up at dangerous levels, being such a competitive person himself, a complex we both share.

 

 

He then places his arm around me but then I let out a unintentional yelp as he suddenly pulls me closer, putting another arm around me as I find myself in his tight embrace.  My body was now tilting to the side completely with the crook of his neck at the back of my head and his head dipping near my left cheek.

 

 

“Minji-ah, here’s an example of intense skin—I mean, friendship,” oppa says before putting up his lady-killer smirk in front of the camera.

 

 

Another unavoidable hug…the mother of all hugs… reality, you have failed me.

 

 

“Oppa, maybe you can let go of me now… I can’t… yah! oppa… are you sleeping again?  Minji-ah, help!  No, no, don’t leave me like this!”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Butler’s Note:

Just take a few steps more.   I can see you are scared.  Don’t be afraid and just come closer to me like this, here in my arms where I’ll never let you go, throw all your doubts and just let me love you. 

 

I’ll take care of you forever.   

 

-Jingyo

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A.N.:

Ah the first Monday of the year and I just have to make an update to start my week right.  I would have updated last week but then I spent the last days of the year taking care of my sick dog.  She died exactly  on January 1st and that was obviously the worst, saddest New Year I and my family ever had.  I hope yours was excellent though.

 

So we are now back in the game and mother of all hugs is it just good to be back!

 

Clueless Chae-roo and a very mysteriously excited Jingyo in Sentosa.  I'll leave you guys to imagine what possible scenarios these two will be having there. The comment box is available for all your delusions. ; ) 

 

Thank you to the 232 people who read, subscribed, commented and upvoted Suit & Tie.

 

Have a happy Monday, loves.