On The Wall

Suit & Tie

Chapter 5

 

On The Wall

 

“When a picture’s drawn,

I put it up on the wall

You drew my lips and nose

But you haven’t really mastered my eyes

Cause’ when you stare, I can’t seem to keep my eyes

On you”

 

-Hee Young; So Sudden EP

 

 

 

 

 

“Chaerinnie!” an overly excited voice rings around the halls of our campus and I can only cringe in embarrassment as other students start looking at the supposed commotion.    In addition to that, it is early in the morning and I just got here so, the only thing I did is automatically cover the side of my face with a book and calmly walk to the direction where I was needed even though I know it didn’t really help at all.   

 

“Ssantokki,” I look at my good friend, shaking my head at the mixed looks coming from every direction.  

 

There were people looking at Dara in awe, whispering about the latest gossip on what she purchased recently, who she was with in some posh place or probably the fashionable designer brand clothes she wore today.    I can’t really blame them though.   Her current fashion theme must be something from the new designer line of the newly released Spring catalogue, a contrast to my laid back loose vintage shirt, jeans and sneakers.    Although, I must say, I love the design on her silver heels…    Anyway back on track, there were also sighs coming from love struck fan boys hoping to get even just a smile from her.  And finally, there goes the rolling of eyes and frowns coming from a particular group of equally popular girls who, well, are just jealous of the reigning campus queen.

 

Those lowly ezzz

 

“Finally, you’re here!” my best friend says after hugging me really tight, so tight that I thought I saw stars.   Oh well, that’s how Dara is, overly affectionate to the people she loves but soft-spoken in large crowds, not for long though.

 

“I’m here to tell you that I’ve got you and Bommie the best seats for this year’s ‘Spring Ball’!!” she exclaims, waving what looks like a seat plan triumphantly.    I didn’t really get to let her words sink in as I jumped up and down with her, both our hands holding tight and our smiles about to reach our ears. 

 

 You see, Dara has this, what people call the Happy Virus.  She’s like this mesmerizing disco ball that when you look at for too long leaves you frozen and in a daze.   This ‘Dara Happy Virus Syndrome’ gets to you so quickly that you have no idea why you are extremely happy and overly excited until you stop and think really hard—

 

“What ball?!” I half shrieked, finally getting my feet planted on the ground.   Too much of jumping in circles is getting me dizzy.

 

“The ‘Spring Ball’!  It is one of the major annual events this school year.  The event that will be the start of our most memorable years in high school and— Bommie!! Corn Spring!” Dara yells out again, waving excessively like she was in an island asking for help at an incoming rescue helicopter.

 

 I look behind me just in time to see Bom suddenly looking like a deer caught in head lights and suddenly reacting only to what her reflexes tell her, which is to yelp in shock before hiding behind one of our campus’ building’s pillars in fear, clinging on to it for dear life.   Poor Bommie, one thing you should know about her is that mornings aren’t her thing.  She is mostly spaced-out after she wakes up, staring blankly into faraway places while drinking chocolate milk.   So when you have a friend who spaces out like her, yelling at them, especially with their very cute nickname that not everybody really knows, won’t only get their attention, it also forcefully wakes all of his/her body’s sleeping cells and scares the hell out of them.

 

It’s a good thing she is sent to school by car every day cause’ if not she’ll probably miss the correct bus stop.  

 

I could only slap my right palm on to my forehead, shaking my head which by now is hanging low.   Walking to their direction, I hear Dara who is now currently explaining to a now wide-eyed and blinking Bom the ‘good news’, I watch in disbelief as they, just as expected, hold hands before suddenly jumping up and down in circles, giggling and wiggling in excessive excitement that I had to snap myself from smiling and joining in.

 

The Dara Happy Virus has struck again… Is this what I looked like earlier? Hul.

 

“Let’s go shopping this weekend for our dresses and maybe think of new hair styles.  We have lots to do before the ball so you guys better not book any other schedules for this month, okay?” Dara says, getting in to student mode as soon as the bell rings, signalling the start of class.   

 

“Gotta go! See you guys at lunch,” Dara enthusiastically waves before going off to her classroom.   She and Youngbae are classmates in one section while me and Bommie in the other.   Speaking of which, I grab Bommie by the arm and pull her towards our classroom.   It was only when we sat inside our room that Bom quickly touches my shoulder and looks at me in bafflement. 

 

“What ball?”  Slowly, I hold her hand while I rub her back gently, nodding my head in understanding.  This is the only way I know on how to cope with the ‘Dara Happy Virus’ after effects.

 

 

 

 

#

 

 

 

 

“Yah Ssantokki, is going to that Spring Roll really that important?” Bommie asks with full of food before sipping on her watermelon shake.  

 

I really fear she’d choke or something.

 

We were currently having lunch at the campus cafeteria, sitting on our favorite spot where we could enjoy the view of our school’s grand garden.   Honestly, having to sit down with Dara is a blessing since without her we wouldn’t have permanent spots or probably none at all.   We get to have the lush sofa seats too and some privacy since we are located at a quiet corner.

 

“Of course it is! I’m putting up the biggest event yet in Yongsan International history, plus, it’s an annual event which means you’ve never really lived high school without going to the Spring BALL,” she explains, emphasizing the word “Ball” towards a too-busy-eating-to-care Bom before looking at me with her infamous puppy eyes look.  

 

Oh boy, here it comes.

 

“Chaerinnie, please?” Dara pleads and I look down at my beef stroganoff with a sigh, hoping to find an escape out of this. 

 

Dara doesn’t always plead for us to come to those events since we know that only the eating, according to Bom, is the best part.   Once the food vanishes off your plate so does the fun.   I honestly believe that one can only enjoy those things is if you belong to the popular group and don’t even get me started with the topics of their conversation.    You can’t find a person to start a decent topic with except if you care too much about your figure, social status, latest fashion trends and scoring a date with the cutest boy/girl in campus.

 

Boring.    Why can’t we just talk about being young and wild and free?

 

“Youngbae-ah, help me convince them,” Dara turns to the boy quietly eating his teriyaki chicken next to her for help.  

 

You guys remember Youngbae, right?  Yes, our good friend Dong Youngbae the only heir of Dong Cruise Lines who keeps spilling his food or drinks on his shirt when we were just seven.   His shirt stains have lessened through time.   However, I can’t say that it has completely stopped though and I have secretly observed that, that particular occurrence happens whenever he sees our Ssantokki over here.   I do believe that Youngbae has a secret crush on Dara, though the intensity of it I am not sure of but from what I observe, this crush is deepening with every year we spend as friends.

 

“I think we should all be there since it’s an annual event.  The four of us can hang out together so it’ll be fun and Daesung is coming too,” Youngbae speaks up just as I expected while still focusing intently on his lunch.  

 

It always takes the bubbly Dara to break his quiet world and make him care about the world around him.   If these two end up together I think they’d be a very interesting couple.   The contrasting difference both of them have will make you believe in the saying that opposites attract, what with the quiet, book loving, sports enthusiast, Youngbae and the popular campus queen Dara who has a future in public relations or anything related to socializing.  

 

Cute!

 

Oh yes, I and Bom are big fans of their ‘love line’… which isn’t really known to the people involved themselves.  It makes me so excited since I’m quite a romantic person but… that’s a secret. 

 

“If Daesung is going then… we’ll be there,” I breathe out as Bom blurts out a shocked ‘what?’ which got her coughing and almost choking on her bacon.  Both Dara and I immediately pat her back while Youngbae quickly looks up, fully alert and ready to perform the… uh what was that he said again?  The Heimlich Maneuver.

 

Youngbae has signed up for those Red Cross seminars since his family business requires travelling in the middle of the ocean and you can’t always rely on the stand-by medics he says.

 

Maybe I should sign up for those things so I will know how to do procedures like mouth to mouth resuscitation… with Jingyo oppa—

 

“Chaerin, are you okay?” Bom’s concerned eyes are now looking through mine.   The choking crisis earlier has long been gone and now all three pairs of eyes are looking at me.  Apparently, I’ve unintentionally been slapping both my now pink tinted cheeks and shaking my head like those rock stars on stage.  Right, I’ve also been chanting the word ‘no’ several times too.

 

“I’m… okay, just having an overload of ideas for the… Spring roll-- I mean, ball,” I stammered, which is not like me at all but sensing how much I wanted a change of topic immediately when I desperately pointed out on how extremely delicious this piece of bread right at the middle of the table was, they all just let it slide. 

 

What was I just thinking? Jingyo oppa is a good oppa, my loyal butler, a very dependable friend, a very caring brother, a very handsome potential boyfriend—

 

“Stop!!” that, my dear friends is a yell coming from my very own usually calm lips, no restrains or hesitations, just one full, over the top yell.

 

“What?! If you wanted to eat it, it should have been gone by now,” Bom protested, her fingers picking on that particular piece of bread that I’ve just highly complimented a minute ago.   I was preparing a speech about how I didn’t mean what she thinks I meant with my words but then Dara who was about to go somewhere with Youngbae before I embarrassingly yelled spoke up.

 

“I and Bae are going to get ice-cream for all of us.  Now before you two start world war three over that poor slice of bread, do you want me to buy each one of you a whole loaf?” she asked with both her hands on her hips, her eyes narrowing from an-about-to-go-crazy me to a smiling and sparkly eyed Bom.

 

What is happening to me?

      

 

 

 

 #

 

 

 

 

Unbelievable

 

 Dara has managed to drag as into a spiral of shopping sprees, those horrible dress fittings and several crash courses in the correct way of applying cosmetics on your face.  Can you even believe the dozens of things a girl has to apply on just her eyes alone?   And that’s just for the semi-formal look! Bommie has even slept through the whole process while I kept struggling to memorize what comes after what.

 

I really want to wave the white flag and forget about my word of honour.

 

“Tired…” I mumble to myself while walking listlessly along the wide hallway towards my room, head down low when I suddenly bumped in to something or someone’s chest to be exact. 

 

A person’s initial reaction is to take a step back and apologize but in my case I literally bumped into this person and didn’t move after that with my head planted on to his chest.   Well, how could I if the warm arms that gently held the back of my head were so comforting? He smells really good too like cinnamon and the fresh breezy morning in Jeju.

 

“Jingyo…” I mumble, now leaning towards him.

 

“Long day today, Princess?” I nod my head up and down slowly too tired to exert effort in speaking.  Even his voice sounds very soothing.  It’s something I want to hear whispering right on my ear every day.   I close my eyes as I feel a soft massage on the back of my neck while I hug him back.

 

So relaxing.  I want this forever…

 

Wait.  No.  Oh god.

 

“Jingyo oppa!!” 

 

As embarrassing as this sounds, I didn’t just took a step back, I jumped out of his arms.  My face was as red as the sofas of our living room and I looked like I might as well jumped in to a well and haunt people forever.   I was fidgeting while trying to find a way to well, find a way out.

 

What am I so embarrassed for anyway?  Oppa and I hug all the time before…

 

“Yes Chae-roo? Do you want a massage? I have a license in that area too.” Oppa suggests earnestly while I rub the back of my neck looking like every bit awkward.   

 

“You seem to have a lot of tension in your back area.  It tends to be caused by stress. Is it perhaps the loads of school work?” he asks as I look up at him to agree at his presumptions. 

 

“Yeah, very busy week,” I say and I could see the doubtful look on his face.  I almost forgot on how oppa is so good at reading me like an open book. 

 

“Tell me the truth, is that all you are really worrying about?” he asks as I try to avoid his eyes.  I hate how he can be so accurate.   Oppa should’ve really been a psychic.  He would have earned millions and millions of followers.   I’d even gladly be one of those who’d testify to his abilities.

 

“Yeah! Of course, what else can I be bothered about?” I let out a laugh, a very fake one which I also fear that he’d see through quickly.  So I knew I had to add more to that to convince him.

 

“You know me, Jingyo.  The only problem I have in this world would have to be about food, teddy bears and world peace,” I pointed out, this time more confidently.   He seems to be taking it from the way he nods his head.   Well, what do you know?  I might have a shot in acting after all.

 

“And so the Spring Ball isn’t such a stressful thing then?” oppa slyly asks as I almost choke out all my words.  I froze as oppa smiles knowing he’d hit the jackpot.   Sometimes, I hate him for being so arrogant and over-confident.   He probably knows he is so handsome he could manipulate anyone with just his words.   Why do I have to get stuck with a narcissistic butler oppa anyway?   My parents better give me an acceptable answer when they get back from France.

 

“The Spring Ball.  Stressful?  N-No!  Why would it be?  Every high school kid goes through that kind of thing.   It’s nothing serious, you know,” I explain, not wanting to admit to him that I hate going to the said event.  

 

The thing is, my parents have held parties even more extravagant than a high school Spring Ball however, in order for me to evade those boring parties I bring up all kinds of excuses not to go.   I’ve said it all actually, that I think my parents have heard all available excuses.  From being sick to doing school projects and even how much I’ve been badly missing my grandma in Japan, I’ve said it all that I might run out of excuses in the near future.  However, I do attend those events that hold a huge significance in our family like anniversaries and birthdays.

 

Why do I hate it so much? It’s because I hate how people start talking about me being next in line as our family’s company dynasty.   I don’t like how they start making their judgements and compare me to all my cousins especially when they whisper about how I’m far from the high expectations they have of the “only heir”.   I’m tired of all that and even though my parents have protected me from the bitter truth and the harsh world, trying so hard to give me a life of being free and normal, sadly, I know that my destiny has already been written.      

 

As I look at Jingyo oppa’s knowing face, I knew that he already has an idea on what the real deal was.   I let out a heavy sigh, giving up as I lean my back on the wall and slowly slump down the floor, my arms on top of both my knees.   To be honest, I never keep secrets from Jingyo oppa because other from the fact that he can read me easily, he is one of the people I trust, my first ever best friend and loyal confidante that it feels like a betrayal to keep something from him.

 

“I have to go to the event… I told Dara I would,” I admit as oppa copies me, also going down to sit at my right side while I continue to speak. 

 

“Dara is going with Youngbae.  I told Daesung to Bommie so…” I trail off, letting him finish my sentence.

 

“You’re walking the red carpet alone,” I stay silent, not really knowing what else to say.

 

“Don’t be sad, Chae-roo, there is one more week to go before the event after all and I’m pretty sure that there are boys wanting to ask you but are just too shy,” I can tell oppa was really trying to be positive about this but I knew that in the end I’ll be going to an event I am not even sure I would enjoy, without an .

 

“Oppa, I’m okay.  I’ll be okay.  Flying solo isn’t a problem.  I’m too cool for all of them,” I jokingly said, trying to lift the mood.  

 

“You can say that too but I also believe that our princess is beautiful inside and out.  They are all just too blind to see that which, could be a good thing or boys are going to be a new item to add in your list of problems,” he said which I just thought was ridiculous to the point that I might just be blushing.  

 

First, he said I was beautiful which I’m not sure from which point of view it was since big brothers sometimes say that to their sisters, friends can give out compliments like that too, a worker could say that to his boss, and finally a man would also say that to a woman whom he really likes.   Nobody, except for my parents has said that to me and in a sincere manner, by the way.  Second, his next statement which also I’m not sure from which point of view it was either, that by the end of the day my mind wouldn’t take the ‘what ifs’ and explode. 

 

Sometimes I just forget that Jingyo oppa is a person who works for me.  To be honest, he’s really more than just that.

 

This oppa must have inhaled the romantic mannerisms of the French too much since he lived there for years.   They do tend to become so romantic to the point of taking you out to boat rides while giving you a huge dose of their almost poetic cheesy lines, according to, wait hold your breath, Nana Hye Mi.  Can you believe that she had a french lover at some point of her life?  I’m so proud of her I squealed in delight and got teary eyed when she told me about the short-lived love affair with that French driver ahjusshi.

 

“Nice boost for my self-confidence, oppa,” I laugh, pushing him lightly. 

 

“So you think I’m a liar now? When have I ever lied to you?” oppa asks, feigning hurt as he clutches his chest which just made me push him harder causing him to fall to the side.   His laughter echoes along the empty hallway as I shake my head.

 

“Jingyo,”

 

“Yes?”

 

“Do you remember the time when I first attended school?” I asked with a smile, remembering the time when everything was less complicated and carefree.   How I miss running down the wide green grassy grounds of my school with some of my friends and playing with the pretty looking lady bugs.   Lady bugs are my friends.

 

What? I’m serious! They are.

 

“The time when you were so nervous you couldn’t even move.  You even hid and clung behind me all throughout the time when we were going to your classroom,” he said thoughtfully, his eyes turning into small moon crescents, a light chuckle escaping his lips.

 

“You taught me how to defend myself from potential bullies, especially boys,” I laugh, remembering how silly it all was back then. 

 

“Then that one boy tried to take you away for a date,” he went on but this time his smile fades.   “See, I told you, boys are a problem,” he points out, crossing his arms over his chest.

 

“What? You mean that boy who was innocently taking me out to eat ice-cream?” I laughed, remembering that one moment in my life when oppa got extremely paranoid about me going out with a boy.  I actually forgot his name since oppa had been so keen to keep me away from my “abductor” as he calls him.

 

“Yes, that sly boy who calls himself your boyfriend…  Seriously? A kid that young, already getting those kinds of ideas.” He pointed out, shaking his head.

 

“Well, if you weren’t flirting with that oh-look-at-me-I’m-so-pretty-it-hurts unnie then it wouldn’t have happened…” I grumble quietly.

 

“Are you saying something?” he asks, placing his ear closer to my side.

 

“I said it was just an innocent thing back then.   Besides, boys my age aren’t really my type so you don’t have to worry about trying to chase away annoying suitors anytime soon,” I assure him as I observe the slight rise of his eyebrow.  This time, he leans back comfortably and rests his arm over one of his knees.  His other hand is on the floor supporting half his weight as he then leans a bit sideways towards me.

 

“Really? You don’t like boys your age? Why so?” he asks rather seriously, obvious hints of curiosity in his voice.  

 

“I don’t like boys because…” I found myself getting a bit conscious as a topic that I don’t really talk to him about surfaces out of nowhere.   Well, it’s not like I talk about my preference in men to anybody since I don’t really show signs of taking interest in those kinds of things.   I kind of have that image of being like those art people, a person who is open to ideas, free, worries of nothing and doesn’t always take things too seriously.   This is actually the first time I’ll be talking about this sort of stuff with someone.

 

“I prefer a mature man.  Somebody who is respectful, someone who is responsible, dependable and… will make me feel safe.   Boys look like they are just going to play around with you, too young to even know anything, something like that,” I say, however, I found it weird when his face suddenly comes up in my mind.

 

Why is this happening again?

 

“Interesting,” I hear oppa murmur beside me. 

 

“How about you, I mean what kind of women do you prefer?” I suddenly ask, wanting to channel the topic towards him since I was getting a bit embarrassed talking about who could be my future boyfriend.

 

“y, smart and cute,” he answers effortlessly, looking at a distance with that y-- I mean, playful smirk on his face.

 

That’s it?

 

This oppa is very unbelievable.  Is that all men look for in a woman?  He must have went out with lots of women like that back in France.  I heard Jingyo oppa has quite a reputation with the opposite back there.  Well, from the reception he is getting from the girls in my campus I don’t need any more evidence.   I actually had to prohibit him from getting off the car when I go to school since I wouldn’t be able to get to my classroom alive with all the screaming and squealing girls.

 

Eww. Germs

 

“y? Smart? Cute?” That’s… it?” I ask, trying to pull him back to earth.  He looks like he is floating off to some paradise island with y, smart and cute women in bikinis.   When my question finally sinks in his conscious mind, he clears his throat a bit and looks back at me.

 

“No, it’s not like what you think,” he clarifies, straightening up a bit.  

 

“I don’t want a woman who wears y clothes and struts around seductively.  I want a woman who doesn’t have to put so much effort in trying to wear short skirts and skimpy clothes but carries herself confidently with that certain charisma that makes her look… y.  iness isn’t just about the clothes, you know.  Well, a woman who only shows her seductive side to me is another thing…” he explains, his smirk appearing at his last words made me shake my head as he tries to snap out of his… fantasies. 

 

“I also like smart women, not the overly nerdy type but someone who I can talk to for hours, someone who is interesting, someone who I can learn a lot from, someone whom I can share open ideas with,” he says with a dreamy smile that I fear he is flying off to wherever paradise island it is his mind keeps floating to again.

 

“I don’t need a pretty face doll without this,” he says, pointing to his head as I listen carefully.   “Looks aren’t really important to me,” he says before remembering the last trait.

 

“Oh and the cute part, well, I kind of…” he trails off, his smile turning sheepish.

 

“You kind of what?” I ask, wanting him to continue.

 

“I want a woman to be cute, that kind of cuteness that comes out naturally in her.  She doesn’t have to act too cute and force it out just to please me.  She doesn’t have to be weak either, she can be a badass girl but I still want to have her trust me enough for her to show me her vulnerable side, I still want to have that urge to protect her.  I like my girl to call me ‘oppa’ regardless of age.” He finishes as he lets out a sigh.

 

“Interesting,” I say as he lets out a chuckle.

 

“You must have met all kinds of women to have those accurate descriptions,” I finally voice out.  

 

“Having experience in being in relationships kind of help you know what you are really looking for but then when you fall in love, it happens so fast that it catches you off guard.  You won’t even have the time to glance on your check list…” he trails off.   

 

Falling…in love? Could it be that I…

 

“What I am saying is, you could fall in love with a guy your age regardless of the preference you have.  You might be surprised to find a guy who fits the description but turns out to be the guy whom you didn’t think you could fall for,” Jingyo oppa says simply.

 

“I could give you more advice on what to expect but then I believe you’d understand more of that along the way.  For now, you better enjoy the single life,” oppa says, getting up and offering both his hands for me.   Honestly, his words got me thinking and realizing some things.

 

Jingyo could be right.

 

“Jingyo?” I slowly say, gently tugging to the sleeves of his suit making him turn to me.

 

“Yes, Chae-roo, what is it?”

 

“If ever you find that woman, will you introduce her to me?” I ask as we stop right in front of my room with oppa looking like he just had something in mind.

 

“Ah right! There’s actually one more thing I forgot to add, the most important actually,” he begins, looking into my eyes with all seriousness and sincerity.

 

“She has to get along well with you.  She has to like you as much as I like you. So when the time comes you must know that I would want to seek your approval before anything else,” I don’t even know what to think about what he just said so I just gave him a nod.  To know how much he values me as someone whom he could easily entrust his happiness with overwhelms me.  This is the first time that I have truly witnessed oppa’s loyalty in serving me.

 

Appa has always told me that Jingyo oppa will be the only person I could trust, the person who I could depend on for the rest of my life especially when the time comes when I will be thrown in a world corrupted by wealth and power, filled with people who shall befriend me for an ulterior motive, people I cannot trust.   Appa and omma always remind me that if there is one person I can turn to other than them it would be Jingyo oppa.  

 

He will serve me for the rest of his life. 

 

“Oppa!” I blurt out, stopping myself before entering my room as he turns back to me.   I immediately step towards him, crashing on to his chest and hugging him really tight.

 

“You really don’t have to do all that… and... I just want to say thanks… for taking care of me,” I say as I feel his arms wrap around me.

 

“Anything for you, Chae-roo,”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chaerin’s Note

I’m glad that I got to see a different side of oppa today.  I never knew how special the relationship I and Jingyo share and I was really touched of his loyalty but… that’s not what made me hug him tight, it wasn’t what made me clutch my chest as I closed the door of my room, it wasn’t what made me feel a bit… uncomfortable?  It was the thought of sharing him with another woman… Oppa has always placed me first in anything… I… suddenly don’t feel good.

 

Chae-roo

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A.N.: This story is something I made to get over my writer's block for my other fic.  I'm feeling at a loss on where to take my characters in Gray Noise but then it'll soon come to me.  Please do wait patiently.

 

Oh well, Spring Rolls and Skydragon's love preferences all in detail.

 

Chapter 5 for the 122 people who are probably getting a whiff of the 'Dara Happy Virus' as of the moment.

 

Our Chae-roo however, might have some other kind of virus though.  Something that starts with an 'L' and ends with an 'E'