Come Back Home

Suit & Tie

Chapter 19

 

Come Back Home

 

One two three
You left me but
I can hear you breathing from somewhere

Once again Four five six
Red tears are flowing
I miss your smell that once held me



You said it was for my own good
and you turned away coldly like a lie
Why did you
Why did you, you’re gone away

 

Come Back Home
Can you come back home
Don’t leave me at the end of this cold earth and come to me



The only thing left here is your shadow
My longing for you tortures me more than my loneliness
Seems like I can catch the sound of your laughter
But the moments weakly scatter like a sand castle
Every night, I get nightmares
Even in my dreams, I call out your name
In a time where everything changes, the one thing that doesn’t change
Is that I’m your queen, you’re my ruler


 

-2NE1; Unplugged; Crush

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4 Birthdays

 

 

4 Christmases

 

 

4 Valentines’

 

 

4 Years

 

 

…without him

 

 

This misery, this deep longing, this unbearable loneliness, even if I try to go crazy in the end, it’ll just keep haunting me again every single day that he isn’t by my side. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

France.

 

 

Graduation Day

 

 

I look up at the cloudless sky still in awe at how I have finally reached the end of all my hard work as a student.   The weather is beautiful and it is just perfect for such a joyous occasion.   I tear my gaze from the serenity of the light blue sky and look at the car rounding up at the front of our French estate.  And like any of my grand life-changing occasions, my parents were fussing at how big I have grown and whose side from the family I got my good traits from.  Glancing at my left, I see Nana Hye Mi who, as usual, was busy capturing every moment while wiping the tears of joy escaping from the corner of her eye.   I sighed, seeing that nothing’s really changed ever since I was a kid.   I bet they’ve already planned my supposed surprise graduation party. 

 

 

Not really going to be a surprise for me though

 

 

So, let’s stop reminiscing of what has remained the same all throughout the years and focus on what’s changed.

 

 

I’m graduating from college today.   Yes, finally the end of my life as a student has come and now I am ready to jump in to the real world or what every college graduate calls the harsh reality of life.   I’ve worked really hard to get this feeling of success and believe me these four years have been the toughest so far.   I’ve suffered not only the pain of being far away from home but also the gruelling challenges I had to undergo throughout college.   Now, I’m ready to enter a new chapter of my life.   I admit it, I am nervous, the uncertainty scares me and the responsibilities I have to handle from now on are adding more pressure to all that but then one thing is for certain, I am happy to finally be allowed to go back to the place I call home, Seoul.

 

 

I just have to get this graduation ceremony done and quickly hop on a plane.

 

 

“Are you ready, sweetheart?” I hear my smiling father asks me as my mother makes finally touches on my semi-formal black dress.  I keep telling her that it isn’t really necessary since it’s going to be covered by the graduation robe but she continues on anyway, saying how every detail is very important.  I can’t argue though, sometimes her fashion side rubs off on me.

 

 

“Yes, appa,” I reply confidently, smoothing the back of my jet black hair. 

 

 

Yes, I dyed it black two months ago out of nothing but a feeling of suddenly wanting to.

 

 

Driver Jang Gun opens the limousine’s passenger door for me, giving me a cheeky okay sign and a smile which I appreciated so much enough to make me smile back.  I’ve just entered the car when nana Hye Mi suddenly calls out to me.   I automatically slide down the window, seeing her hurrying towards me with a mysterious red and white little paper bag.  It looked classy and as she digs inside I see her taking out an expensive looking white box.   She hands it to me quietly with a knowing smile.

 

 

“He wants you to wear it,” that was all she said before heading to the other car where my parents are.

 

 

I open the box and a beautiful ruby necklace lay perfectly at the center but then I was more curious at the small note neatly folded underneath it.

 

 

 

 

Congratulations.  You look lovely, my queen.  I am so proud of you.  Smile for me when you step on that stage.

 

Always,

Your knight.

 

 

 

 

I held the box tight as I read those words, taking a new found strength in it.  These gifts, these notes, they actually aren’t something new.  I’ve been receiving them ever since he left.  

 

 

He

 

 

My love

 

 

My life

 

 

My knight

 

 

He is the reason why no man can ever impress me, no sweet words, no expensive gifts and no romantic gestures can move me.  However, to be honest, I hated him too at one point or probably whenever I find myself sipping some bitter liquid at a high-end bar thinking of him, missing him, longing for him.  I would even have my feelings clouded with anger at the times when I felt abandoned or forgotten, the times when my heart broke because of him.  But then out of nowhere, these notes find their way to me and all that is lost.  I am pulled back in to the desire of having him near me.

 

 

I hate him

 

 

I love him

 

 

He is that powerful.  

 

 

Believe me, I thought of ending it, ending my misery of waiting for something I am not sure of anymore.

 

 

He can control me without putting any effort at all and I blindly fall all over again.   

 

 

He doesn’t even need to be physically next to me.  It has always been this way ever since he left, promising to come back to me soon… it’s still nothing but a promise though.

 

 

His name?  It has been long since it rolled out of my lips.

 

 

Kwon Jiyong

 

 

Who is he?

 

 

He was my butler, the only person I trusted and loved for as long as I remember.   I don’t think I’ll ever free myself from this cycle he created.  I tried once and I failed horribly. 

 

 

No matter what, he’d always be the one my heart wants.

 

 

And by the way, my name is Lee Chaerin and I just turned 22 this year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seoul

Belgatto Wine Bar

 

 

I stepped out of the elevator to be welcomed warmly by the staff of the newly opened restaurant.  The particular modern and chic looking place had been trending at social networks as one of the most awaited restaurants here in South Korea.   I’d say it won’t be long until it joins the top list of elite restaurants in Asia.   I’m probably biased but heck, one look at the classy vibe of the place and I can already say that it will be one of my favourite hang-outs from now on.  

 

 

I was escorted to what seems like a VIP corner where I could see two familiar people whom I missed so much all these years, my two best friends. 

 

 

“So, I see you guys have already gotten used to being without me now,” I say nonchalantly although I couldn’t really hide the smile on my face at the reaction I got from them, each of their faces filled with shock followed by happiness as they all looked my way.

 

 

“Chaerin-ah!!” Dara squeals, jumping out to hug me from her comfortable spot beside the dashing looking Youngbae.   Those two are inseparable now since, well, they’ve finally got together.

 

 

FINALLY

 

 

I get a crushing bear hug, almost suffocating all throughout.

 

 

“Let go of me, rabbit, can’t…breathe,” I struggled to say before finally being released.  I look at my friend, still pretty as ever and looking very feminine with the knee length blue Gucci dress, her back exposed daringly with the style and cut of the dress.  

 

 

“When did you arrive?!  Why didn’t you tell us?!  Oh my god! Your blonde hair is really gone!!” Dara explodes as usual and I could only shake my head and laugh but before I could answer though I find myself in another hug, a little less violent kind of hug this time.

 

 

“You should have told us so we could have welcomed you at the airport,” Youngbae warmly says and I could only give a look of approval at the change I see in him, definitely Sandara’s work but I could tell it was a positive change.   His white polo shirt and stylish silky blue pants call for respect and adoration.   I could already tell that his confidence has increased through the years. 

 

 

Looking at the both of them you can already tell the pure-themed couple look they are trying to pull off today.

 

 

“Well, technically I just arrived and it wouldn’t be as fun as it is now for me if I notified all of you,” I quipped before looking around.  I know I’m supposed to be seeing one more surprised face today but I don’t see her anywhere. 

 

 

“And where… is the owner of this amazing restaurant?” I asked as we sat ourselves at the semi-circular sofa with menus being presented in front of us. 

 

 

“Busy with her new head chef,” Dara says while taking a sip of her latte.  The tone of her voice however, had that little familiar cheekiness in it and I’m already curious to know the details.

 

 

“New chef?” I ask, lowering the menu a bit and looking at the both of them questioningly.

 

 

“Choi Seung Hyun,” Youngbae answers and I immediately got in to thinking, the name sounding so familiar to me.

 

 

“Choi... Choi... Seung Hyun?” I repeated, wondering where I’ve heard it.

 

 

“Yah!  Has France given you selective memory loss?   Seung Hyun, extremely quiet, weird, nerdy new student back in high school?” Dara points out before leaning forward and whispering.

 

 

“Although, I bet you wouldn’t recognize him now.  The nerd just turned in to a certified hottie,” she winks and giggles.  At that point then my memory finally gives me an answer. 

 

 

It was on that spring event back when I was sixteen that I remembered a tall dark haired boy, shyly standing in a corner and stealing secret glances on my dear friend who by that time wasn’t even celebrated as the campus queen during our last year in high school.  Ah yes, I remember how Bommie would get teased and bullied because of her weight.  We did our best to protect her but sometimes no matter how bright and cheery she was in the outside some of those brash words got through to her though, some of those even get through to me too. 

 

 

I thought of that one time when the spring dance was heightening up back then, that moment when I noticed that tall boy in all the courage to take a few steps towards her only to be late by a few seconds as she pulled Daesung to the dance floor.   I did try to talk to him all throughout the school year but I couldn’t find the chance.  Bommie did tell me that he was weird for giving her strange looks and that made it even harder for me to walk up to him.  

 

 

This got me really curious now.

 

 

“So, right now they are...” I began, wanting to know more.

 

 

“In the kitchen, arguing about the dessert to be served,” Youngbae mutters, shaking his head.

 

 

“Arguing?”

 

 

“Yes, arguing!   He’d keep on changing and challenging her menu ideas.  Although, we both think that all these fights is just an excuse for them to spend longer time together since they both get awkward if they talked cordially,” Dara gushes, obviously rooting for the love-line between these two people.

 

 

“Then why not find somebody else to be the head chef?  There must be better and much experienced ones out there, lessens the stress too,”

 

 

“That’s the thing, she can’t.  He is the most talked about brilliant newly graduated chef in the country.  Her father had recommended him.  So, other than being a huge loss to the company if she decides to let him go, Bommie’s going to get it bad from her appa.  Besides, the end-product that comes out from their arguing is beyond perfection,” Dara nods, giving two thumbs up and at that moment the kitchen doors open to reveal a very annoyed Park Bom, strutting in her y Stella McCartney mini-dress and shaking her head, her now short, shoulder-length hair, swaying along.   The staff gives way to her, getting pale at the arising temper their boss is showing.

 

 

“I had enough with that... t-that overly confident, arrogant, know-it-all monster chef!!  He wants his stupid Affogato whatever cake instead of my Decadent Vanilla and Chocolate Truffle ice-cream!  Hello~ Doesn’t he check what time of the year it is now?!  It is summer!  Summer!! For god’s sake, people want ice-cream during summer!!” she bursts out, clearly fuming to even realize that her long-time-no-see best friend is sitting here.

 

 

“If only I could kick him out of my, MY restaurant I would!  I am just SO close to losing my cool,” she says half growling in total annoyance before plopping down next to me and gulping on the water served earlier.

 

 

“Kick him out then,”

 

 

“Yeah I really should!”

 

 

“You shouldn’t wait till your mental health drops because of this,”

 

 

“You’re right! You’re so right, Chaerin-ah...”

 

 

“Chae?? Chaerin!!” she screams right on my ear before hugging me down to the cushions.

 

 

“Bommie... heavy...”

 

 

“When did you arrive?? Yah! Why didn’t you tell us?!  We would have prepared a welcome teddy bear party!  And why is your hair permanently black?!!” Bom rants, finally sitting back up.

 

 

“Just this morning.  I wanted it to be a surprise and...uhm my hair color is naturally black?  How about you? Why is your hair short??” I countered, taking a small clump of her auburn-orange hair in my fingers.

 

 

“Got a new haircut because I wanted change and change came but just when everything was going well... life brings out Choi Seung Hyun and now the peace in my life is gone!” she whines, massaging the temples near her head before turning back to me.

 

 

“Now enough of the huge boulder ruining my life, tell me, how are you?! I’ve seen the graduation photos months ago and I really regret that we could not all celebrate together.  Only Dara and Youngbae got to enjoy cruising in fantastic islands somewhere,” Bom says, giving me a regretful look.

 

 

“Yah, we did invite you but you said that you had to be ready for Belgatto’s opening and told us to sail away to love island,” Dara interjects.

 

 

“Even if I didn’t have to work I still won’t go, you know.  I’ll only be the third wheel and witness all those gooey, dewy, icky lovey dovey stuff,” she squints her eyes at them before clinging on to my arm. 

 

 

“I’d rather celebrate with Rin-rin in Paris,”

 

 

“You mean the graduation slash business party I had?” I groaned at the thought of half of the company associates being present there, some are already trying to freshen themselves up to the future heir of Lee Group a.k.a. me.

 

 

“At least if I was there with you it wouldn’t be as boring as it was,” Bom points out and I smile.

 

 

I really missed these three a lot.

 

 

“So, are you ready to enter the family business now that you returned?” Youngbae suddenly gets straight to the point and I knew that it was something they’ve been wanting to ask ever since I stepped in this restaurant.  They grew silent waiting for my answer as I give another smile and tinker with the silverware in front of me.

 

 

“I’ve been prepped for this moment to come all my life, you all know that,” I state and they all nod in understanding.

 

 

“When are you starting work?” Dara asks.

 

 

“Tomorrow,”

 

 

“Already?!” Bom exclaims, pulling back to look at me in the face.

 

 

“Then that means we can’t even have a little reunion-bonding day?” she sighs.

 

 

“Well, there is the week-end coming up in a couple of days,” I suggested and the atmosphere lifts up again.

 

 

“Great! Let’s go somewhere fun then!” Dara plans out, immediately setting the time and place, as expected of an event’s planner.  Her growing company has initially been getting some big time clients this year as the coverage of advertisements increase. 

 

 

“We can use one of our yachts if you guys like,” Youngbae offers much to everyone’s delight.  Like me and Bom, he would be taking over his family’s business in the future as well.

 

 

“Deal! Clear all your schedules in the week-end, guys,” Dara reminds us before we hear footsteps approaching us. 

 

 

I look up to find a tall, handsome looking man with sharp features wearing what seems like a chef uniform.  The uniform almost looked like something that can be modelled at a runway with the way he carried it.  But then what was most alluring about him was his eyes and how dark and deep they were.  I even almost mistook him for wearing eye-liner with how thick his lashes were.

 

 

One look at him and I could already feel Bom stiffen at his presence.   She stands up before making a short introduction. 

 

 

“Seung Hyun-ssi, this is Lee Chaerin, daughter of Lee Group’s CEO.  You’re probably familiar with her back in high school,” she starts before Seung Hyun offers his hand towards me with a smile.

 

 

“Chaerin, this is Choi Seung Hyun-ssi, the head chef of Belgatto, he studied in Italy and Paris,” I take his hand, giving it a moderately firm shake.

 

 

“We were classmates in History back in high school.  Nice to meet you again, Chaerin-ssi,” he says and I notice how deep his voice is.  It actually reminded me of Soo Hyuk’s voice but a little lighter.

 

 

“Yes, I remember.  Nice to meet you too, you can just call me Chaerin,” I say and he nods with a light smile, offering me to call him less formally as well.

 

 

So this is that huge boulder in Bommie’s life...  I can clearly see her dilemma here.

 

 

“Guys, we actually want to get your opinions on something, this is going to be the basis of our upcoming special dessert for this week’s VIP full course meal,” Bom explains as Seung Hyun stands behind her proudly.

 

 

In seconds a waiter and two waitresses emerge to lay down plates filled with a delicious looking dessert.  The presentation was even beautiful enough to make it hard for me to eat it.  I notice Seung Hyun step forward, ready to explain the dish in front of us.

                                                                                                                                           

 

“This is the Affogato le Zirragio, inspired by a gallery cafe I visited in Austria, it symbolizes the peace and serenity one would feel once taking a train to Salzburg, or one could say a dish which brings lovers even closer together,” he begins, carefully explaining the ingredients he used and blended to make it.  We all take a bite and once the flavour touches my palette I was already seeing the beauty of Austria’s peaceful slopes.  I could only look at Seung Hyun speechless and looking like I had been given something that was good enough to make me speechless.   Youngbae even finished his in a minute while Dara was using every good description in her vocabulary.

 

 

Needless to say, we all loved it and as we were done with the dessert another set of waiters come out bringing a different kind of dessert, this time instead of placing it on a plate this dessert was placed in small martini-like glasses. 

 

 

Seung Hyun then steps aside as Bom’s turn for the spotlight comes.

 

 

“This piece of perfection right here is Decadent Vanilla ice-cream sprinkled with chocolate truffles, creating the memory of the summer days of childhood, the freedom and the carefree life of being a child, something children and simply people who are children at heart could reminisce or enjoy” Bom passionately explains before we all take the much awaited taste and oh my god, I could immediately remember the beach and grassy plains I used to run around to every summer at my grandparents place.   The smooth taste of the ice-cream contrasts the coffee flavour from the cake earlier and for me to decide between these two is a punishment.

 

 

“So, what do you guys think?” Bom asks while giving us a look that says—“how much do you guys love me?”

 

 

Thinking of it, Seung Hyun must be so confident with his dessert that he agreed with the challenge.  Obviously, we are all Bommie’s closest friends which gives her the higher chance in winning but then the taste of Austria has got me admiring Belgatto’s head chef.   He really has the right to be confident and also gaining the possibility of seeing Bom’s defeat.   Both dishes are highly worthy of getting the spot and up until the very last second I couldn’t make a final decision.

 

 

The two desserts now lay in front of us with its creators waiting for our decision.

 

 

“There are three of you so I am sure we will be getting a vote today,” Bom continues. 

 

 

As expected ice-cream lover Dara, chooses Decadent Vanilla.  Youngbae on the other hand chooses Affogato, surprisingly since he isn’t really a fan of coffee saying it ruins the health and all.

 

 

Which means, the pressure would fall down on my shoulders

 

 

Why me? Why?

 

 

“Chaerin?” Bom asks, looking at me and I could tell she was getting anxious at the suspense while Seung Hyun looks calm, at least in the outside.

 

 

“Uhm... I...” everybody looks at me, even the restaurant’s staff and I could only shake my head and raise up my hands.

 

 

“I can’t choose,”

 

 

“What?!” Bom exclaims, looking at me in disbelief.

 

 

“They are both good Bommie, I swear.  They are both different, tastes extremely delicious and unique in their own way.  Why can’t I just choose both?  I love them both!” I explain, looking at Bom.  I must have been too confused with the hype of deciding that I didn’t notice Seung Hyun’s little disappearance.  It was only when he comes back and places a bigger martini glass in the middle of the table that we all grew quiet.

 

 

He then dumps in his Affogato le Zirragio, letting it sit perfectly in the bottom of the glass before placing the Decadent Vanilla on top of it.  I hear Bom’s light gasp and before I know it she heads back in the kitchen only to emerge back out in a few seconds, bringing what looks like nut crumbs in a small plate.  She then sprinkles it on top of her ice-cream while Seung Hyun adds in the last touch, a little flower on the side, perfect for the summer.  He then stands next to Bom before speaking.

 

 

“We present this week’s special dessert for our VIP full course, the Decadent Affogato et Vanilla, a taste of sweet coffee complimented by the light fluttery vanilla flavour, topped with chocolate truffles and nutmeg... Perfect for a romantic summer season,” he says in a confident tone, another light smile playing on his lips before looking at Bom, who seemed to be thinking deeply, her eyes set on the delectable dessert.   She stays silent for a while before looking at the restaurant’s assistant manager.

 

 

“Put this on the menu,” she says in softer tone before heading back in to the kitchen.  Seung Hyun’s meaningful smile doesn’t pass my eyes and I could tell that his particular gaze was something I find familiar back from the time when spring blossomed six years ago. 

 

 

It seems this summer is really going to be a romantic one.  Hmm...  I better order another Decadent Affogato et Vanilla.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

#

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lee Group of Companies

Seoul Branch

 

 

She’s the Lee Chaerin? 

 

 

Yeah!  Possibly our future CEO.

 

 

Well that is if she passes the board member’s standards.  She’s got a lot of work to do to be considered.

 

 

She looks scary, to be honest.

 

 

Looks snobbish too.  Not sure if I want her to be my boss.

 

 

You’ve got a few more years before you worry about that.  I heard they are putting her in a lower position first.  She’s going to be assistant executive to the new head of the advertising department.

 

 

Oh my god, the head of the advertising department, that cold-hearted handsome guy!   Now I see why they are putting her under his department. 

 

 

Lee Chaerin better prepare herself for him.  He is one hell of a strict boss.  She’s going to know what she has really signed up for soon.  She’s surely the unluckiest person here now.

 

 

Does the head of advertising have a girlfriend?

 

 

Yes he already has.   I think he’s only ever nice to that his girl, spoiling her with all the expensive gifts.

 

 

Lucky girl

 

 

 

 

 

“Lee Chaerin-ssi?” a man in his early thirties comes closer as I nod and smile lightly, bowing in politeness.

 

 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you.  My name is Kim Jin Woo.  You can call me Jinu.  I’ll be the one to tour you around and teach you the basics,” he says cheerfully although I can see the back of his neck sweating and his hands trembling a bit.

 

 

I really don’t bite

 

 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you too.  Just call me Chaerin.  Please teach me well, Jinu oppa,” I say and I could hear the slight stutter he made, obviously shocked at how I called him.

 

 

Is he about to cry? 

 

 

 “Y-Yes Chaerin-ss—Chaerin,” wanting to ease the tension and maybe assure him that I am not some evil cat, as soon as we passed by a vending machine filled with drinks and snacks I immediately got some for him.  He declined at first but then took it in the end.

 

 

The look on his face was priceless

 

 

We walk around the company building although I was already familiar with it.  I do remember running around here somewhere when I was a child.  This was the main branch of Lee Group’s company buildings all around the world.  My father made sure that he worked in South Korea so I could grow up in my own country.   

 

 

All throughout the tour I observed how employees would make way and give me curious looks.  I guess, being on the local news every week does make you a bit of a celebrity even in your own company.  I’m accustomed to it though.   I bet they’re gossiping about me again.

 

 

Sigh

 

 

How I wish I could go to work without any of the attention.  I tried to dress as simple as I can yet still formal.  I even picked a random date to return to Seoul and work but then news travels fast.  In less than twenty four hours since I arrived, the media has already gotten everything up on the net, even my visit to Bommie’s restaurant yesterday was documented with photos.

 

 

“And finally this is the advertising department.   This table over here is yours, my table is this one behind you and right over there is... our boss’ office,” I looked at the room covered with glass although you can’t see anything inside since the glass used wasn’t see-through, only a small rectangular spot that stretches throughout the whole office remains transparent.  It’s also the only way to tell if there was somebody inside.  

 

 

Right now, there was no one.

 

 

“Our boss just went to a meeting.  He’ll be back later,”

 

 

This got me curious... or nervous.  Meeting the boss was something I’ve been thinking about all night that I didn’t get that much sleep.  I’ve been told that I was working under a guy with really good credentials and worked at several countries where our company buildings are located.  He has even gotten a really high position abroad but was called back here so he can personally mentor me... according to my father.

 

 

This only means that I am going to be under the watchful eyes of someone my father appointed. 

 

 

Great!  Can you hear the sarcasm?

 

 

This also means that whoever this person is, he is surely going to give me one tough time.  I’m also certain that everything I do will be reported back to my appa.  

 

 

Life isn’t easy.

 

 

“You just have to remember that the one thing he hates is tardy employees.  He likes it when the work gets done on time and sometimes he gives stressful deadlines too.  So, better prepare yourself for that,” Jinu reminds me as I take note of everything, typing away in my iPad before looking up at him.

 

 

“If I may ask... how old is he?”

 

 

“Ah he is a bit younger than me by a couple of years,”

 

 

“So... this boss of ours is he...” I trail off, giving Jinu oppa a look which meant bad.  Catching on, he clears his throat a bit before looking around, leaning a bit towards me.

 

 

“You see, he’s been living abroad and I think that’s how he came to be very strict.  He is extremely blunt when it comes to pointing out mistakes and worst is... he’s a perfectionist!”  he whispers and I could feel my head spinning at his words.

 

 

“Is it really that bad?” I whisper back, already thinking of the gloomy days ahead.

 

 

“Very, he doesn’t even go out to eat with us unlike the other department bosses,” Jinu frowns at the thought and right then and there I wished to be transferred to the other department.

 

 

“You mean he doesn’t even socialize?”  Jinu shakes his head immediately and I sigh heavily.

 

 

“That’s why you have to pass this tough road and quickly sit at the CEO office because I’d rather work for you!  People have been... talking about you actually, but you don’t seem as bad as they say,” he whispers and I smile.

 

 

“It’s okay, I’m used to it,” I reply but before we could talk further somebody makes a huge fuss behind us.  I could tell since other employees suddenly gotten quiet.  Turning around, I almost choked on the water I was sipping.

 

 

Oh no, not again!  Please tell me this isn’t real... why the hell is he even here?!

 

 

“Chaerin-ah!” a proud man walks towards me, placing me in a hot spot as all eyes land on me.   I wished I seen him fast enough and immediately hide under the table.

 

 

“Sung Woo... what are you doing here?” I mutter his name in complete distaste as the guy walks closer towards me with an entourage of assistants behind him.

 

 

“I was informed that today is your first day of work and I’m here to congratulate you on finally entering the company,” he says using huge hand gestures and a playful smirk. 

 

 

Oh well, what’s new?

 

 

“Uhm... thanks?”

 

 

“I actually petitioned that you be placed in my human resources department but then it seems that the head of advertising wanted you enough to make the proposal earlier,” he says regretfully before taking a huge boquet of flowers from his assistant and handing it to me.   I stare at the flowers for a couple of moments and only take it... for the sake of taking it.

 

 

“Thanks,” I mumble, putting up a forced smile.

 

 

“Are you free on lunch?”

 

 

“No, I am... eating with Jinu oppa,” I say immediately and nudge Jinu who fortunately plays along.

 

 

“How about dinner then?” he insists.

 

 

“I’m going out with my friends.  They... haven’t seen me in a while,”

 

 

“Haven’t you eaten out with them yesterday?”

 

 

“I... have another set of friends,”

 

 

“How about tomorrow then?”

 

 

“I’m... starting on a diet,”

 

 

“When are you ever going to go out with me?” he exhales and I groan inwardly.

 

 

“I already answered that, Sung Woo,” I say, looking away from him. 

 

 

I already did actually in a very nice manner, as matter of fact I’ve answered him too many times to even count but then he remains persistent.   So here’s the thing, this guy, Park Sung Woo, is one of my few suitors and unlike the other guys who tried to come knocking on my door this particular man doesn’t know how to stop.   He has been working under my father’s company in the human resource department where he holds the top position.   

 

 

He thinks I’m playing hard to get but I definitely am not.  I honestly regret ever going to that fashion event with my omma in Italy a year ago where I was introduced to him.  He asked me out by the next day, of course I declined and ever since then he has never stopped bugging me.   I’ve tried evading him but the media isn’t helping me at all.   One update of my whereabouts online and there he is...

 

 

“Right, because you are spoken for already,” he says, giving me a bored look.

 

 

“I am,” and no matter how many times I say it I know he wouldn’t believe me.  To him there always has to be proof and since I cannot take out a wand and magically present my boyfriend who has been non-existent for four years then I am going to be involved in this chase with him.

 

 

“Why do you keep saying that?  Can’t you at least give me a chance? Look, how about a nice friendly lunch, today.  I’m sure Mr. Kim over here wouldn’t mind, would you?” he asks, looking at Jinu oppa and patting him by the shoulder.  I bet he is using his high position towards this poor oppa.  I also bet that this lunch isn’t really going to be a friendly one, flirty maybe.  And to my horror, Jinu oppa slowly agrees before guiltily glancing at me, which was understandable but then...

 

 

No way.  Did he finally succeed on taking me out? Crap!

 

 

“See?  Problem solved!  So, I’ll come by at exactly twelve in the afternoon,” he says eagerly.

 

 

“No!  I mean... there’s one more person I’m having lunch with later...” I try to explain, fidgeting with my fingers in anxiety.  I really need to come up with an excuse fast or I’m going to have to sit down with this arrogant conceited guy in front of me.

 

 

“Who is it this time?” he sighs, looking around to see the possible employee.

 

 

I think now is the time to randomly pick someone.  If I get through this all these employees are going to work for me, anyway so here’s to throwing away my pride and just point at anyone randomly.

 

 

“Uhm... I’ll be having lunch with... uhh...” I casually look around despite the scrutinizing stare Sung Woo is giving me.

 

 

“Who?” he challenges me, already being able to tell that I’m just trying to find an escape route.

 

 

“I’m... going out to have lunch with my boss!  Business lunch,” I quickly say, nodding and trying not to show how relieved I actually am.

 

 

“Your boss?  The head of this department?” he asks sceptically, crossing his arms in front of his chest.

 

 

“Yeah...”

 

 

 I am currently foreseeing myself slowly getting in to another sticky situation. 

 

 

Do I have to ask my overly strict boss out for lunch now?

 

 

“Well then, I guess I’d have to ask him to let you off for today then.  After all isn’t it your first day today?”

 

 

I must have looked pale at his plan.  Right now, I’m just dying to punch this guy in the face and knock him unconscious. 

 

 

Oh if only we were at the streets right now.

 

 

“You don’t have to do that.  I... gave him my word!  Besides, it’s really important... lots to discuss about the company, you know,” I babble about.  Lie over another lie.  I believe I’m getting good at making a whole bunch of excuses. 

 

 

When is this going to end?

 

 

“Chaerin, stop this.  You don’t have anything to worry about.   I completely understand that you’re new to this whole dating thing and we can definitely do everything in your own pace.  I can take you anywhere you want, favourite restaurants, cafes, just say it,” he takes both my hands and I struggle not to cringe.

 

 

“B-But I really have business lunch with my boss.  Maybe next time?” I immediately start slipping my hands off of his but his grip tightens.

 

 

“Of course we can go out as many times as you want after our friendly lunch date later at 12, okay?  I’ll be—,”

 

 

“She’s not going with you,”

 

 

The room went completely silent.  Even I froze and only the beating of my heart was all I could hear.    Sung Woo who was caught in mid-sentence and completely irritated slowly turns around towards the commanding voice behind him.  Thankfully he lets go of my hands before addressing the person behind him, dark copper stylish hair, black knee-length business overcoat and the aura that matches higher authority, confidence oozing throughout the whole room.

 

 

“Kwon... Ji Yong.  Nice bumping in to you again.  Is there a reason why this lovely lady over here isn’t allowed to have lunch with me?” Sung Woo ask, voice dripping with sarcasm.

 

 

“Park Sung Woo, I worry that you need to have your ears checked.  This lovely lady just told you that she is having lunch with me.  Now if you may please go back to your office, you’re disrupting the peace in my department,” his voice sounded so calm and confident, even his stance demanded attention.

 

 

It’s him, right in front of my very eyes.  His voice, his face I missed so much, all of it was real.  I am not dreaming this time.  But then I didn’t know how to react, what I should say first.  It was all too sudden.  This wasn’t really where I was expecting to see him and just when I finally tuned in to what they were saying I was even more surprised at the sudden revelation.

 

 

He is my boss?!

 

 

This meant that he has been working at my father’s company... all this time.

 

 

“Already trying to claim things, I see.  Flaunting your victory on getting your proposal accepted over mine? Well, you should know this, the fight isn’t over.  I want her to be transferred to my department.  I believe human resources will help her command an entire business empire in the future,” Sung Woo counters.

 

 

“Claiming things?  I don’t claim things unless they rightfully belong to me.  In this case, you may be right about human resources but advertising will help her hone her potentials more in deciding what is best for this company and train her to be under stressful situations, a trait every leader has to learn,” he suavely answers before adding,

 

 

“So, with all due respect, Mr. Park, I and my lovely employee have a lot things to discuss about this company, you know how I hate wasting time,” Jingyo then confidently walks off to his office, leaving a red faced Sung Woo behind.  He walks by, handing an envelope towards me which I quickly take, his words, snapping me from my thoughts.

 

 

“In my office, now,”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chaerin’s Note

Just when I was losing hope, wanting to quit, wanting to pull away... he pulls be back in again.  That’s exactly what he does best.

 

My return to Seoul just got really stressful, crazy and interesting.

 

Chae-roo

 

   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A.N.:

 

Another chapter in the lives of Jingyo and Chae-roo and this time there is going to be a role reversal.   Chaer-roo is now working for her Jingyo.  This reminds me so much of my first fic, CIELO.  I guess I can say my writing style has changed since then...?  Hopefully.

 

So it's wendesday and I'm updating. Surprise. Surprise.  Now what makes today so special?? Hmm it's probably some Dirty Vibe taking over me today......  

DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE GOT THE DIRTY VIBE YOU AIN'T CERTIFIED YOU GOT THE FUNNY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE  WE GON CELEBRATE EVERY IN' DAY PUSH UP ON THAT PUSH UP ON THAT PUSH UP ON THAT PUSH UP ON THAT NOT SURE WHAT THY QUEEN SAID BUT HELL DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE.... SEOUL CITY. GIZIBE. CL.  HOLD UP YOU IN THE PRESENCE OF A QUEEN. AH!!! TURN UP ALL THE PRETTY ES LOVE ME UNNIE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE HER DIRTY RAPPING DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DIAMONDS AND PEARLS. I'LL BE ON MY BEST BEHAVIOUR HOLD MY PURSE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DID SHE JUST SAY STRIP CLUB?! . LANGUAGE. SORRY. DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE TALK WITH THE PRETTIEST LIPS BLOW A KISS DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN DO IT JUST FOR FUN.   DAMN WHAT IS THIS?!  WHAT? YOU AIN'T KNOW? I'M YOUR GIRL'S LESBIAN CRUSH... OH SHE KNOWS. OH THERE GOES MY UAL ORIENTATION.   I'M SUPPOSED TO BE STRAIGHT. DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE G TO THE D MOTHAER... DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE OH MY GOD THE FAST RAP. DAMN I CAN HEAR HER IN IT TOO.   ARE THEY LIKE HAVING IN THE RECORDING BOOTH?!  RAP . CRAP. LANGUAGE. SORRY NOT SORRY. DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE DIRTY VIBE 

 

Ehem.

 

I'm sorry for that. I just had to let it out.  Time to be decent and proper again.  So, ehem. what do you think about this chapter?

 

Thank you to all those who subscribed, commented and upvoted.  It all means a lot to me.

 

Have a happy Wednesday, all you pretty bitc-- people.

 

-Jia