ii

Strayed

This is a double update, if you have not already, read chap 1 first

<^^^^>

 

“Please ensure the dishes reaches those tables hot, all twelve of them.” Hyukjae called over his shoulder, exiting the kitchen area and walking down the small hall to the receptionist’s counter of the hotel. His fingers tugged casually at the small badge he wore over his sleek black suit jacket, it read ‘Head Manager’

“Sir..”piped a timid voice from behind.

“Yes?” too busy glancing at some papers he didn’t turn around, he didn’t need to , the tone and scent told him exactly which certain waiter had approached him.

“Table three…uh the customer is demanding to see you sir..”

Hyukjae looked over this time, eyebrows furrowed a little “Problems with his food?” he guessed to which the waiter-Mir- nodded weakly. Hyukjae decided against investigating Mir and with a sigh left the papers on the counter, strolling his way down to the specific table as he maneuvered through different tables in the dinning area, individual antiquely designed chandeliers hung over each table, casting a dim and soothing glow through the posh restaurant. Mingled scents of food, human and shifters wafting over to him and he knew the table he was headed to was occupied by a shifter. The scent grew stronger; soon Hyukjae felt he had seen that face somewhere.

He cleared his throat softly, placing a professional and helpful smile on his face, the occupant had been scowling down at his food but once he looked up, the scowl cleared. Hyukjae’s brows twitched in a sense of familiarity, he never dropped the professional facade though as he smoothly delivered a well-rehearsed set of lines.

“Good evening sir, I was informed you wanted to see me, please let me know, how may I help you?”

He was met with a silent pair of eyes simply staring at him, just when Hyukjae was about to speak again the other abruptly spoke up, as if snapping out of a daze, he had seemed to zone out.

“Oh..yes! Actually it’s just um…my food, the chicken tastes bland and the peas feel raw and the cheese too cold and uh you look familiar so I stared, sorry I stared, please forgive me.”

Hyukjae hoped the hint of amusement he felt at that rushed statement didn’t show on his face, he had lectured the staff about remaining professional in every situation while bring friendly, so he was not going against his own lecturing either.

Allowing a small smile Hyukjae nodded “I heartily apologize sir, I shall make sure this never happens again, in fact I shall get a replacement ordered for you right away and to make it up to you, you will be charged only half of the cost.” Unlike the rushed manner of talking, Hyukjae spoke smoothly and calmly, pausing before he grinned a little more “ As for your last statement, no need to apologize sir, yes we happened to bump into each other on a street the other day…more like you happened to bump into me.” Hyukjae joked, keeping his tone friendly to which the other suddenly flushed and stammered, Hyukjae noticed how the customer’s fingers kept fiddling with the napkin in his lap.

“May I have your good name sir?” Hyukjae proceeded to ask, whipping out a small notebook from within his suit jacket to which the other promptly replied, a bit too rushed “ Lee Donghae!”

Hyukjae thanked him pleseantly and scribbled down his name along with adding some side-notes. Thanking Donghae and bowing politely he left,  hastily walking up to the reception area and ordering awaiter passing by to get a steaming chicken and cheese dish to the certain table.

Some twenty minutes later a worried looking Mir was by his side once again. Hyukjae pursed his lips and raised his brow “Is it Mr. Lee again?”

Mir nodded “He..r-refused that dish and he’s asking for you again.”

Running a hand through his wine-red hair Hyukjae sighed under his breathe and nodded “Right, you may return to your post please and please alert the pianist about the closing time today, he and his band can pack up and leave early, the dance floor needs maintenance.”

Mir nodded alertly and went off to his task, leaving Hyukjae to proceed once again to the certain table. He spotted Donghae leaning all the way back in his seat, looking bored, Hyukjae observed how Donghae’s leg shook impatiently.

“Hello again, sir.” Hyukjae greeted politely and Donghae immediately sat up  straight, a reserved grin spreading his lips apart.

“Just donghae, please.”

Hyukjae nodded and repeated “Hello again, just Donghae.”

Donghae apparently found that hilarious because he giggled away- a highly infectious giggle since that had Hyukjae smiling way more than he intended, a few chuckles managing to make their way through- that’s till Donghae abruptly and forcefully quit his laughter and managed to speak

“Actually instead of the dish being replaced I would like to ask for a dance with you…if it’s alright?” scrunching his brows he gazed at Hyukjae carefully, mentally cheering at how taken-aback Hyukjae suddenly seemed. Hyukjae was quick to recover though, he had certainly not seen this coming and this was indeed the first time a customer had asked him so straight-forwardly. Donghae eyes darted to the rectangular, gleaming black marble stage that was located across the dining hall, white silk draped along the sides from the walls, that gave it a royal look. He swallowed and glanced back at Hyukjae who seemed to be pondering upon something.

Usually Hyukjae would have to deal with confused flirtatious ladies or unnecessarily touchy-feely men, so it was pretty much all in the days work, he handled it as routine. “Of course Donghae, that would be my pleasure.” He replied amiably and Donghae’s smile  grew to reveal crooked teeth. Hyukjae had to admit, this guy had the boyish adorable air to him while at the same time pulling off the handsome hunk look. He got a good look at his figure once donghae stood up, wearing a black leather jacket over-what appeared to be- a thin white shirt, Donghae’s solid built displayed itself through the layers.  Hyukjae held out a hand that Donghae gently took in his own and allowed Hyukjae to lead them to the dance floor. Heads turned as they reached the dance floor, only two other couples were slow-dancing at the current jazz music being played, once the pianist spotted Hyukjae there he grimaced, he was not going home early it seemed, knowing Hyukjae the Head Manager would want to satisfy the customer and dance on till the guest himself go tired.

Donghae’s thin lips remained fixed in a smile as he easily placed a hand over Hyukjae shoulder,  he intended to put the other at Hyukjae’s waist but Hyukjae’s hand quickly and stealthily maneuvered it to his shoulder, silently smiling at the little display of Donghae scrunching his brows briefly before clearing it away with a smile, allowing Hyukjae’s hand on his waist. They fell into silent slow-dancing almost naturally, the silence remained for a few seconds though, it seemed Hyukjae got himself a chatter-box of a dance partner.

That dance-partner seemed to be scrutinizing Hyukjae’s face and Hyukjae could not keep a bubbly cortle in anymore, which made Donghae snort a bit sheepishly “I…know who you are, I think you know what I mean right..?” he trailed off resulting in Hyukjae narrowing his eyes. He purposely dropped his smile, stepping just a bit closer but enough to leave their feet enough space to step, their faces close by, Hyukjae got another chance to observed those warm brown eyes rimmed with a bright blue hue, he dipped his head a bit, peering at Donghae through his lashes looking al lsorts of mysterious and then he whispered.

“Yes…I am Batman.”

Donghae’s eyes widened a bit before he nearly bent over with laughter, loud , boisterous and pleasant to the ears, Hyukjae did find it charming and so contagious his own shoulders shook as he chortled along, eyes twinkling with amusement as Donghae finally managed to stand up straight-abruptly cutting off his laughter again- and resumed their dancing, some fringes of his brown hair covered his right eye and instantly Hyukjae’s hand was up, fingers softly pushing back the stray strands. He smirked as he saw Donghae avert his gaze a little before bringing it back to meet Hyukjae’s with a brilliant glow in them. Donghae cleared his throat, eyes enlarging a bit once Hyukjae tipped his chin lightly with his index finger “Your laughter is beautiful, let it flow, hm?”

Hyukjae tilted his head ever so slightly with that smile, he knew this gesture’s effect very well and indeed Donghae seemed flustered and speechless for a while. Donghae nodded softly before voicing out his inquiry again “..but I’m right, right? You’re-

“A shifter? Yes, just like you Donghae.”

Donghae cocked a brow and Hyukjae flashed him a lop-sided grin “I knew it all along, odd how you didn’t sense me, to ask such a question.”

“I’m not as observant and sharp as you, Hyukjae~” Donghae mumbled playfully, making Hyukjae snort “Why thank you.”

“You’re most welcome. You’re also very handsome by the way.”

“Right back at you” Hyukjae retorted coolly, all smiles.

Their dancing slowed to a stop once the pianist finished his last number for the night. Hands withdrawing both of them clapped softly along with the rest of the crowd, a sort of a courteous gesture towards the efforts of the musicians who stood and bowed to the guests.

Hyukjae turned to face Donghae once he felt a tug at his sleeve “Here” Hyukjae furrowed his brows at a rectangular card that Donghae held out “My business card.” A Cheshire cat smile lit his face. After a bit of hesitation Hyukjae pursed his smiling lips, reaching out and grasping the card, just to feel Donghae’s fingers move and brush over his and the most strange sensation ran down his back.

That night Hyukjae slept a very peaceful sleep.