v

Strayed

A/N: It's long. woops

 

---

Following Kangin down the stairs of the two-story house Donghae took a deep breathe, Gain was highly observant, he simply could not let her detect any of his restlessness for several reasons. Gain being here just meant more work and Donghae was already not enthusiastic about his current task because he would be lieing to himself if he said he had no opinion about Hyukjae.

Donghae’s brows were still scrunched in a deep frown; the news about this possible cure disturbed him. A lot. Pausing for just a few seconds to bring on his acting face and with an encouraging pat from Kangin, the two entered through large wooden doors into a posh looking office, something reserved for and used only when Gain would be around.

He saw how she had her head tilted towards the window, sunlight illuminating her skin. Her blonde waves stopping just over her shoulder, red silk top and a tight black skirt stopping midway on her thighs, it was hard to deny she looked stunning.

As if sensing eyes on her she slowly tilted her head towards them, resting it back on a large chair, her red lips parted to smile fondly at the two.  “ah, Donghae my dear, how long has it been?” Her oddly colored eyes, those pupils shrunk into slits had always felt donghae feel weary from her. His eyes darted to the two men, suited in white and standing at attention at her side, faces emotionless.

 

Donghae courteously bowed, his legs moved on their own, his body had been trained to be obedient. Gain stood up and spread out her hand, Donghae noticed how everything about her was so graceful. Taking her hand gently he slowly brought it up, pressing his lips softly to the back of her hand, head dipped slightly in a display of loyalty and submission. Gain peered down fondly, tipping his chin up with a finger “I’ve heard my Donghae has been busy lately, new task, yes?”

Donghae brought on the best close-lipped smile he could, watching her through her lashes as he straightened up “Yes, I was assigned Lee Hyukjae as per your orders.”

Gain nodded approvingly, the way her eyes roamed over his face never helped him feel comfortable and by now he was quiet tired of it, nevertheless he kept an amiable air around him, catching Kangin standing by the door. Donghae mentally thanked the man for staying.

“Ah yes of course, Hyukjae” she stretched out the name in a purr, Donghae cleared his throat lightly, gesturing for her to take a seat as he sat himself down on the couch across from her. “such a shame that man didn’t stay with us longer, had such great potential.” She continued, running her index finger up and down her jawline, resting her chin on her palm. Donghae nodded a little, to show he was paying attention to her, in real he just wanted to rattle of questions about just why Hyukjae? And just what did she know about him.

Apparently Gain read the questions in his eyes, a knowing smile curled her red lips up and Donghae sighed silently, he hated how she could read him so well. Then again she had always mentioned how he still needed t owork on his acting skills.

Or Gain was just an exception who could read through his façade. “Donghae my dear.” Stop calling me that “Did you know that once upon a time your father and Hyukjae worked together in the same group?”

The quirk of Donghae brow gave her his answer, she leaned back, resting her hands lightly on her knees, eyes locked with Donghae’s, her eyes had something hypnotizing about them. “Yes” she almost whispered “Back then Hyukjae was a youngling, a teenager. I remember his eyes smolder and flare, he was truly exciting, passionate about the cause.” a sigh “How unfortunate for your father to disappear and for his group to scatter, we lost Hyukjae like that but I always kept my eyes on him, watching him. Now that I have you after him, my mind is at peace.” Donghae swallowed down a hiss, how dare she speak of his father’s disappearance in such a indifferent manner?!

Her steady, unblinking gaze had something eerie about it “so tell me donghae, how is he? How are you two doing?”

He almost snorted at how she made them sound like a couple who had just gotten together. He covered it with a bright grin of his own “He is just as I was told, highly observant and our progress is going very well.

One of her men entered, they wore a strange white uniform of sorts and placed a wineglass filled with a light blue liquid in front of her. She thanked him in a soft hum and traced her index finger around the edges of the glass, never  taking her eyes off of donghae, a knowing glint in her eyes. “Yes, I’ve been watching you two. It’s just so brilliant how he’s apparently fallen entirely, for you.”

Donghae shifted in his seat, keeping his back straight and smile unaffected as she continued “Or at least that’s how it feels to me, I’ve gotten reports of him getting slightly intimate with you, even someone as sharp and cautious as Hyukjae, I’m not surprised, who wouldn’t fall for such a lovely being as you” a Cheshire cat smile followed and that’s when he recalled being kissed on the cheek. He coolly smiled, bowing his head in acknowledgement “You flatter me, Gain-ssi”

“Oh come now Donghae” she made a show of a little pout “Call me Gain, I do insist” she reached out to clasp her hand over his and Donghae felt that similar cold sensation run down his spine, it was not the first time Gain was requesting this, her displays of just how much she ‘appreciated’ donghae’s works were not a rare happening either.

“I-I appreciate it very much, Gain, it means a lot coming from you.” He responded charmingly, eyes following hers as she calmly got up, Donghae made a move to get up too but was kept down but the light press on his shoulder. The next second Gain was standing a bit too close and donghae knew what was coming next. He had tried to desensitize himself against it, but everytime it would leave him with a slightly unpleasant shock.

Her lips softly pushed against his forehead in an instant by bending down to his level, he remained stiff till she pulled back wow back up a little and smiled a full smile before caressing his cheek as she whispered “You must have so many questions donghaeah~ just be patient with me.” With that she twirled around gracefully and strut out of the room. Just as she was about to exit she called over her shoulder “Joon-ssi would be shortly having a meeting regarding this ‘cure’. Kindly gather your men and proceed to the meeting room.” With that she exited, Kangin bowed as she went by him. Once she was gone Kangin straightened up and side-eyes Donghae “The boss has a thing for you.”

“Shut up hyung, she’s like this with everyone” scowling he marched past him “ Let’s just get this done with.”

Kangin raised a brow, muttering under his breathe “Well now I feel left out.”

 

<^>

Hyukjae  had  stepped out for a nice walk after having been tied up with work that had boosted unexpectedly and the man had had absolutely not a minute to himself, all he would manage to do was drive home and fall face-first on top of his bed, at times not even bothering to take off his shoes at times. Thoughts of Donghae however insistently chased after him, he would remind  himself to text the guy after certain schedules and then it would slip his mind, only to return at the moment he would fall in bed, groan tiredly and think to himself he will surely call in the morning.

He never managed to do so.

Although, that guy never failed to surprise him. The day after their little date, Hyukjae had reached work only to be welcome by a large bouquet of white roses sitting atop his table. Mir had a sheepish grin set on his lips as he softly uttered how it was from a Mr. Lee Dongae. Hyukjae had nodded and sent him away, only smiling when he was alone and hastily walked to pick the flowers, a small note that read ‘hope you like white ^^’ Hyukjae did like white but he didn’t like roses, then again he found this little surprise endearing, the rest of his day flew by, his staff stared at Mr.Lee’s face kept lit by a small smile.

The next few days he would be greeted by boxes of assorted chocolates, at times gift wrapped ties, with little sticky notes saying how Donghae had noticed Hyukjae’s love for ties. How Donghae had hoped Hyukjae was a chocoholic, Hyukjae would beam as he would instantly send texts back, affirming that yes indeed, he was a chocoholic and chuckle at donghae’s enthusiastic responses. Hyukjae had begun to feel bad about this one-way process of gifts being given and had texted Donghae that he would surely meet up once thiss budy phase passed.

The very next noon donghae himself showed at the restaurant, coincidentally at the time for Hyukjae’s lunch break. Donghae dressed in a suit waistcoat and tie was a marvelous sight to behold.

The way Donghae had laughed at seeing Hyukjae’s reaction to donghae sitting in his office told Hyukjae he must have been looking surprised out of the world.

surprise~”

“It sure is one heck of a-wow, how are you?” Hyukjae had managed as he closed the door, eyes on an approaching Donghae, he was positively shinning. “I’ve been great, and you’ve been too busy” Donghae had come to a stop just in front of him, a slightly awkward air hung around them, Hyukjae’s gaze was hardly moving from donghae’s radiant face while donghae’s eyes darted about (Hyukjae found that incredibly adorable) “Uh, we should sit” Donghae had suggested and the two quickly sat themselves on the couch placed by the large oak table

They had managed to go out for lunch, with promises of seeing each other on the weekend and a kiss on Hyukjae’s cheek. Somehow he had ended on the receiving end of everything Donghae sent his way. Hyukjae felt a sudden determination to change that.

That night, high on this new change his life had taken, Hyukjae planned to go out for a late night run, he would feel this odd comfort once he shifted into his wolf form at night time. The red-black tinted fur helped him merge into the darkness of the night. Besides as a wolf he travelled faster, heard better and picked up clearer scents. His bones shifted, muscles bent and protruded under thick and long black fur, highlighted with a deep red hue. His face extended to form the muzzle, eyes taking a brilliant bright amber color, ears perked and flicking. His body was lean yet muscular. He pondered over how, after all, he loved how he felt more alive now. They emptiness of being alone on his own, the occasional loneliness was drifting away, this Donghae person was a good change, perhaps that’s what he needed in life, to give life a chance and try out things, to talk and get to know people, for now he was in all of Donghae's attentions like a sponge absorbing in water.

Choosing to trot through the-now isolated- park near his house he trotted through the overgrown trees, hackles pumping smoothly as he shifted his paws in a rhythm. Enjoying the silver beams of moon sprinkled over the otherwise dark foliage, amber eyes darting as he hoped over fallen logs, observing just how neglected this park had become but it was fine, it just meant more space  for him to mark as his ‘territory’. Usually his neighborhood would remain quite, it was nice and not much drama happened here. Aside from him needing to sort some skirmish between some unruly shifters, going at each other in name of their egos which were larger than their brains. Hyukjae snorted at the memory, sure he was out of packs, it didn’t mean he had forgotten how to assert authority when he needed to, he did not let happen around here and his neighboring shifter population knew that.

So when he heard a large pained yowl- it was hard to miss over the sheer silence of the night- He abruptly halted in his trek through the long wild grass. Ears perked, eyes unblinking and mid focused. Tilting his muzzle up he sniffed the air.

Leopard

Brown furrowing he felt his burgundy fur bristle, it had been a while he had come face to face with other kinds of shifter, leopards were a handful, stealthy and fast bastards, his experience with them had never been good. He liked horse-shifter better, they didn’t gain razor sharp claws every time they shifted. Besides Leopards, unlike wolves, were at a great advantage in the kind of landscape he was currently in. Trees, one of Leopards favorite places to either just hang about, spread out on the strong branches or surveying the area from up above. The metallic scent of blood was not missed by Hyukjae, his nostrils flaring, eyes up and scanning every tree, hoping that he didn’t somehow end up in an ambush( because it would be a fuss to smack down a bunch of wild-cats, he was looking forward to a peaceful night) so when he did spot a silhouette of what seemed to be a large cat he let out a loud enough grunt to make his presence known. Halting in his tracks Hyukjae raised his head and tail, confidence radiating from his husky voice “Show yourself, cat.”

His amber eyes were trained on a being behind some overgrown bushes next to a thick large tree. The being had been previously shifting but had frozen as soon as it had heard a wolf’s voice. “Why should I do that?” came an irritated purr, Hyukjae could still smell the scent of blood and he knew that it would attract a lot of unwanted company, huffing he took a few calculative steps closer, able to finally see half of the large Leopard’s face in the glow of the moon, it sent a warning hiss his way so he kept a decent distance “The scent of blood bought me here, I came over with no malintentions, hence I revealed myself, otherwise you would not have seen me coming.”

The Leopard’s hackles visibly raised up, the sudden snarl that erupted was heavy with pain, Hyukjae tilted his head, eyes observing the bigcat “You’re injured.”

“What’s it with you! Be on your way, my clan is probably closing in on my scent”

“Or some possibly rivals who would only see you as easy target and take you down.” Hyukjae raised his voice, stating matter-of-factly and the Leopard growled under it’s breathe “ You think I don’t know that?? I would have moved had it not been for my—“

“Can you try shifting back to human?” hyukjae abruptly cut in, he could see the distrust in the Leopard’s glinting eyes, the beast looked spectacularly enchating, glowing nearly silver with dark spots, eyes shimmering as jewels. Eyes that were suddenly scanning the area around and behind him and Hyukjae, rotating it’s rounded ears it snorted

“Where is the rest of your pack hiding hunh?”

Hyukjae grunted, tail flicking irritably “I’m a stray, I don’t belong to any pack so don’t get your tail all fluffed up!”

The Leopard studied Hyukjae with a hardned gaze “Shift to human and what? Huh, you’ll treat my  wound?”

“That’s the idea actually.” Hyukjae retorted smoothly.

They had a silent staring match, the Leopard finally made a move, easing itself off of the ground, wincing a bit and as it slowly approached Hyukjae the injured hind paw came into view.

“I’m not shifting though” The Leopard flicked it’s head “Not yet.”

Hyukjae caught on, the Leoparad was probably thinking Hyukjae would lead it to his home, to be honest that would not be the first time Hyukjae brought a stranger to his place but this situation was different. A little weary Hyukjae silently lead the way, the Leopard probably didn’t want to reveal the human side of him, something understandable to Hyukjae.

Having reached his house Hyukjae spotted the few clothes he had strewn in the balcony before shifting, having clothes nearby wa convenient, after he would be clothless once he shifted back to human, so unless he was not in a rush, he’d always shed his clothes before shifting. “You can sit in th-WOAH”

He had turned about to witness a girl cowering where the Leopard was a few mometns ago, her arms wrapped around her as she peeked from behind a bush, a very unamused expression on her face as she spat “ What?”

“you’re a...girl” he responded, shocked, he honestly was expecting it to be a ‘he’

“Never seen one before?” she rolled her eyes and sighed “ look just get on with however you plan on helping my heel, it’s killing me.”

“right, right just, yeah I’ll go get my  kit.”

Choosing to shift into human ad quickly throw on clothes onceh e was inside, he made a grab for the small medical kit in his bathroom cupboard and dashed out only to find her already covered in his clothes that were strewn outside.

“I’ll need to use your phone.” She spoke before he could say anything, hand stretched out for the kit “thanks, I can take it from here.” Hyukjae stared, uncertain but handed t over with a nod anyways.

“Just tell me the number, I’ll dial it for you.”

The girl hesitated before dictating him the digits and midway his thumb halted.

There was no mistake

She was dictating Donghae’s number to him. Brows furrowd he glanced at her, over his shoulder to witness her massaging an antibiotic cream on her heel “Donghae?”

Her head snapped up, eyes inquisitive “Yeah…you..oh wait, are you Lee Hyukjae?!” there was a sudden change in her tone and expressions, Hyukjae didn’t manage to catch it before she morphed thme back to blankness “Uhm yeah Donghae and I are good friends.” She continued, seeing Hyukjae still watching her she added “ He’s talked a hell lot about you so, I just guessed okay, no need to look at me as if I’ve been stalking you or some .” She flinched a but at a snort from him.

Hyukjae simply handed over the phone to the now apparently weary girl, she spoke carefully into the speaker, as if suddenly she was aware of Hyukjae’s presence, her tone felt rushed to Hyukjae nearly frantic as if she was trying to tell Donghae to hurry the hell up and come get her as she rattled off the address.

 

“Thank you, Hyukjae-ssi, he’s coming over.”

Hyukjae quirked a brow at the sudden formality but nodded, grunting a ‘you’re welcome’ as he took his phone back, offering her to come in but she refused to budge, having settled herself near the bush and stated she would wiat for Donghae out here. Deeming it rude to just leave her out here, barely but covered enough to keep a good amount of skin hidden, she stretched out her injured foot and traced Hyukjae’s movements a he moved to sit on one of the strais that lead up to the balcony, leags bent and forearms resting on his knees. The air was laced with an awkward silence, Hyukjae kept himself busy by scrolling through random aps on his phone and after some good few minutes of silence the sound of screeching tires followed by two beams of headlights flooded the road. Hyukjae raised his eyes and a grin automatically spread on his plump lips.

Donghae hastily exited his car, eyes immediately zooming onto Hyukjae, for a second he forgot to pretend that he never knew this address belonged to Hyukjae. He instantly widened his eyes and called out happily “ Oh wow, what a coincidence!” arms spread wide he beamed at Hyukjae who met him midway on the drive way, donghae didn’t hesitate to envelope him in a hug, cheekily whispering in his ear “ Now I know where you live.”

He received a playful punch at the side of his stomach and then a caress along his side as Hyukjae smirked “Someone works out”

“I’ll give you a full view sometime” donghae pulled back and winked, only then bothering to pay attention to a silently sulking girl on the grass.

“Seo, you’re alive!”

“Yeah, no thanks to you” she retorted and tilted her head to Hyukjae “ Had he not found me, I’m not sure it what condtion I would ave been by now.” Hyukjae saw her smile for the first time as she uttered her gratitude, earning a small whine from Donghae who blabbered about driving over as soon as he could to rescue her. Helping her up donghae gently lead her to the car, she slid into the backseat and Hyukjae held the door open, only now noticing someone in the drivers seat.

He gestured with his thumb at the man in and Donghae waved it off dismissively “you go ahead” he peeked through the window to Seo “ need to talk about something, um if you’re ok with it Hyuk?”

Hyukjae beamed “Sure thing.”

The car pulled away, tail lights fading and then disappearing, that’s when donghae turned to Hyukjae and Hyukjae saw a fond grin directed his way “Thank so much Hyukjae, I’m so glad it was you who found her, even bringing her back here to help while you could have just left her there. You took a risk really, she could have been anyone-“

“Hey” Hyukjae held up a hand, grinning “I’m not that kind of a jerk and I didn’t do much, I thought what if that injured one was me and someone spotted me, how would I like them to treat me.”

“Still, that was very kind of you” Donghae took a step closer, eyes lowered as he took hold of Hyukjae’s hand and squeezed it gently, Hyukjae loved how warm his hand felt. Hyukjae really was amazing to think like that, putting himself in some stranger’s shoes.

“Oh my you feel cold! Let’s get you inside” Donghae shivered a bit at how cold Hyukjae’s hand felt, looking up as Hyukjae snorted “ nice way of inviting yourself in”

Donghae flashed him a loop-sided grin “ I try~”

“So Seo said you talked a hell lot about me” Hyukjae started teasingly, laughing at how Donghae started walking faster, head bowed as he entered through the door, instantly looking about “Small and cosy, I like it” he instead complimented.

“Awesome, looking to move in?” Hyukjae sniggered and Donghae threw a look over his shoulder “I have a feeling you’re moving too fast.”

“Oh am I? I had no idea” he retorted sarcastically “Need a drink?”

Donghae grunted “No, I’m not going to let you get me drunk on my first visit to your place.”

“ I had no such intentions you idiot. Also you totally evaded my question back there.” Hyukjae scowled playfully, earning a show of tongue being stuck out donghae mouth as he flopped onto one of the leather couches, a few spotlights on the ceiling gave the place a golden glow, Hyukjae was just enjoying the view of Donghae lounging in the couch in his living room and looking about.

Donghae was actually at his place and he felt so good about it, this guy who had gradually become  and was becoming the reason of his brighter days

Hyukjae strolled forward to join donghae and the guy turned to smile at him, Hyukjae didn’t fail to notice how the smile was strained.

“What’s wrong?”

Donghae tried shrugging it off, but Hyukjae conveyed with his gaze that he was not letting it go. “You usually have such a bright smile on your face, I miss it.” Hyukjae poked at donghae’s cheek who giggled under his breathe “Oh, sounds like you notice everything about me.”

“I do…I do notice a lot about you” Hyukjae agreed, Donghae was slightly taken aback at the level of earnestness in his tone. Hyukjae truly was super sharp.

“Like right now, I can feel something is bothering you” this time Hyukjae took hold of donghae’s hand, one arm spread over the headrest of the couch as he shifted closer to him, their thighs almost touching “ Want to talk about it?”

Donghae let his strained smile drop, let out the most forlorn sigh, and watched at Hyukjae’s expressions turned to pure concern. “you won’t…like this.”

“Try me.”

“Remember how you were saying you were okay with your life now, as a shifter, how things were better, how this government was ‘friendly’ to our kind?” upon receiving a silent nod from hyukjae donghae carried on, bringing on the slight frown, his gaze sad enough and leveled with Hyukjae’s “Well, turns out they had you fooled hyukjae. Things are no better than before, in fact, they just might be worse. They are coming up with something they called a  ‘cure’. For us to turn us into pure humans…and…I’ve been thinking..” donghae traieled off, averting his gaze because Hyukjae’s eyesh ahd suddenly began to smolder.

“Cure?!” he repeated incredulously, he could not believe his ears really, why would a shifter ever think in such a manner “Donghae please don’t tell me your even considering—What the we are not diseased, we don’t need a cure, damnit! We are superior to how humans are born!” unaware how his voice had risen he glared over donghae’s head, suddenly pissed off. Donghae sighed and placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, trying to appease the worked up Shifter “I’m just really tired Hyukjae..” he responded weakly, palming his face as he saw Hyukjae just getting angrier, on the inside he was loving how worked up the man got, now it was his turn to react. Hyukjae gripped t his arm, puzzled he stared into donghae’s eyes “ I never expected for you to say—“

 

 “I’m tired okay!” Donghae burst, shrugging himself free from Hyukjae’s grip “Im tired of living like this! Don’t you dare deny that you are not!” Donghae had a determined and yet torn look, lips automatically pouting as he shoved his ID card into Hyukjae’s face, the second class citizen all he could see. Those bold words taunted him. He slapped the card out of his face and grabbed at Donghae’s collars, bringing him close enough for both of them to feel hot, rapid breathes on their faces.

“I hate it, I ing hate it, but it’s treatment of us that needs to change!”

“Then what do you have in mind??” Donghae spoke through clenched teeth, his neck tensed and nerves showing underneath his skin. “Go against it?? And just how?? That’s like going against the law which will make you a criminal and--”

Hyukjae growled under his breathe, eyes boring into Donghae’s equally intense eyes “Yes” he hissed, grip loosening on donghae’s collars, hands gradually lowering to his sides. “It’s time we set things right and if that makes me a criminal, so be it. I’ll be the worst one they’ve ever seen.”

Donghae gave him a curt nod after some calculated display of hesitation, now that Hyukjae himself had stated it like that , Donghae didn’t need to insist anymore. “I’ll be in this with you then, hundred percent!” the way he voiced it out  decreased the stiffness in hyukjae’s face “glad you came to your senses” Hyukjae grunted and Donghae hugged him, wrapping his arms around his shoulders tightly and burying his face into the crook of Hyukjae’s neck.

He had finally awoken the sleeping venemous beast of hatred within Hyukjae.