xxiv

Strayed

A/N: This chap's a day late, orz~ and I didn't manage to write anythign for my fav boy's B-day so since this fic is over very soon, I'll be adding bonus fluffy one-shot/drabbles as sequels probably! o/(might even take requests)

 

 

Hyukjae felt dizzy as he beheld the sight that was Donghae. The boy was asleep in the bed, both his arms and legs heavily bandaged and propped up. Donghae’s temple was also wrapped up while angry red marks littered his cheek.

Hyukjae felt his heart constrict, he swayed a bit and Leeteuk held onto him. He had done all this to Donghae. Donghae was a mess, almost mummified in all those white strips… and he was the reason of all this

“Dong—hae.” He whimpered, angry hot tears trailing down his cheeks, he desperately turned to Leeteuk “I’m so-so-sorry.”

“Hush, you idiot.”

“I did this to him, to you all.”

“You were not yourself, it was not your fault, Gain did this to you.”

“I should have died, hyung!”

Leeteuk swallowed a heavy lump “No.” He whispered firmly, peering heatedly into Hyukjae’s teary orbs as he clenched onto Hyukjae’s biceps “Shut up! And No one should have died! You had the worst after effects ever, you were out in some sort of a comma where all we could do was wait and watch you breathe. We feared you would die, we prayed for you, Donghae would beg to be wheel-chaired in here and only wept like a baby every night by your side so don’t you ing dare wish you had died. We were never ready to lose you so how can you value yourself so less, damnit!” Leeteuk had not realized he had spilling tears too, His voice cracked by the end of the sentence. “He could not have taken such a loos and I could not see him breakdown like this! He fought you even in your worst state to get you back. That man did not give up hope when we nearly did.”

Hyukjae nodded, a sob escaped his trembling lips as he tried to regain composure and snap out of the self-loathing that has hit him all of a sudden “You’re ri-right, I owe him, I owe him so much now.”

 

“Yah.”

The hoarse voice made both of them fly over to Donghae’s bed. Hyukjae frantically cleared his teary eyes and gazed down at Donghae’s now awake face.

“Hae, I-“

“Shut up, you two are such a pair of drama Kings, honestly.” Donghae was trying to dissipate the gloomy atmosphere; it was as if someone had died.

“I’m not dead right?” Donghae shifted, peering fondly at Hyukjae who smiled a little “I owe you.”

 Leeteuk stood by the other side, threading his fingers through Donghae’s hair.

“You owe me nothing. Absolutely nothing” Donghae was not having any of this “It was a decision I made, I did say I’ll try to win your trust in whatever way right? So that’s all I was doing, by trusting that my Hyukjae—our Hyukjae was still in there somewhere.”

Leeteuk mentioned about getting some water. Hyukjae spotted a water of bottle and glass right there on a table but Leeteuk walked out of the room, closing the doors behind him. Hyukjae marveled Leeteuk for his sensitivity regarding matters. He had given them space and time to talk alone and Hyukjae was totally taking up the offer. He scooted himself onto the side of the bed, as close to Donghae’s as he could without disturbing any of the injuries and cupped the boy’s cheek, it softly, emotions tossed and turned as he felt his eyes get watery again

“Whatever way does not include getting suicidal and…and allowing yourself to get this hurt…I c-could have killed you.” Hyukjae shuddered at the thought, that’s whne he felt Donghae shift his face, lips pressing against the palm of Hyukjae’s hand, those chocolate brown orbs earnestly insisting something.

“That was not you, Hyukjae, neither your mind nor your wolf form, it was Gain’s scheme, and she thought she could get away with it, she didn’t. As far as getting hurt is concerned, love hurts.” Donghae leaned his face into Hyukjae’s hand, feeling anxiety coil within him. He’d said that word. Again.

“Love, Donghae?” Hyukjae’s tone made him avert his gaze. “I thought you were going to be careful with that word.”

“S-sorry I was just over-whelmed, I won-“

“Shut up you bastard.” Donghae dared to cast a glance at Hyukjae whose face was scrunched with emotions, a certain emotion Donghae would very much be grateful to see. “How can you love me this much?” Hyukjae whispered, biting his lower lip he lowered his forehead, arching his back so to avoid contact with the heavily bandaged arms. “And how can I not love you?” he breathed as he pressed his forehead against Donghae’s.

Donghae held his breathe for a bit “D-do you lo-“

“No I hate you.” Hyukjae scoffed playfully, tears streaming down his cheekbones and dripping right below Donghae’s glistening eyes “ I hate you for making me feel this strongly for you. I hate you for getting yourself turned into a mess. I hate you for so much more, for everything you do to me, do for me. I hate you for it all.”

“Oh…sorry.” Donghae’s lips began to curl in a smile as he played along “Well, not sorry.” He added as an afterthought, causing Hyukjae’s shoulder to shake as he chuckled under his breath.

“I’m not a mess by the way, just, um, my arms and legs and uhm, yea.” He trailed off weakly, pushing his head deeper into the pillow, going suddenly shy at the kisses Hyukjae began scattering all over the cheeks that were engraved by red scratches. Hyukjae snorted lightly at his antics and stared adoringly into his eyes

“Hurry up and get better, Hae.”

 

The door suddenly swung open, Hyukjae raised his head enough to cast a glance over and the person who had entered froze after seeing the intimate position and instantly made a u-turn to exit the room. He would have exited had it not been for an ecstatic Hyukjae who nearly tackled him down from behind. “Henry!! My boy, you’re alright!!”

“Hyung- can’t—breathe, help!” Henry gasped as Hyukjae’s arms only tightened around his stomach and chest. “ I can come back later, ruined your moment” he continued sheepishly as he was turned around, Hyukjae’s tear-stained face was now filled with happiness as he looked Henry over, the scrutinizing made Henry shuffle around and an irritated “ oi, get back here.” From donghae caused Hyukjae to spin around and Drag Henry in. “Our boy is fine.” Hyukjae showed off Henry to a beaming Donghae.

“Excuse me, gentlemen.” A feminine voice broke through and donghae moaned, Hyukjae frowned at his scrunched up face as he watched the nurse who had entered “It’s time to take one of my meds, this puts me to sleep too so…”

“So you guys will have to leave. Please.” The nurse politely but firmly gazed at the two. Hyukjae didn’t want to leave yet but a tired smile from Donghae helped him leave, he needed rest.

--

Hyukjae had been mulling over his lunch in the Hospital cafeteria, he was allowed by the doctors to move around within the premises and not leave till officially discharged. The clanking sound made him look up and saw Sooyoung making her way over to him with a smile.

And a missing arm.

“!” Hyukjae jumped off and met Sooyoung half-way, who grinned “Missed me?”

“How?”

“That’s not important, does it not matter that I’m alive, or well, what’s left of me.” She actually chuckled after saying that. Hyukjae ina deep breathe “Was it me?” he asked, dead serious and Sooyoung huffed helplessly “Yes and no.”

Hyukjae felt like getting beaten to a pulp for having (unintentionally) harmed people so severely. “Just how many did I damage Sooyung.” Hyukjae grumbled hating on himself.

“Hey, don’t you dare.” Sooyoung sudden change of voice made him look right at her, she had a tiny, stern looking smile. “That beast was not you. No one blames you for anything. Every single one of us gave it all we had to win you back, to drag you out of that beast and here we are. I don’t regret losing an arm Hyukjae, as long as it means that we are all here, safe and healthy.”

Hyukjae tried blinking away the tears, what was up with today “Besides,” Sooyoung continued, grinning that playful grin again “ This is a time of technological developments, an artificial arm is being made for me and soon that will be hooked onto my body and then I can beat your once we spar again.”

 

Watching that bright grin on the girl’s face moved something within him, she looked and sounded truly happy even proud. Albeit the heavy feeling in his heart he felt something being lifted off of his shoulders as his lips automatically twitched up a bit

 

“ Bring it on.”