x

Strayed

A/N: this chap is long, mainly because it's got lots of information, several answers too. o/

 

“So Hyukjae, how did you two actually meet?” Sungmin asked, sure he knew but he just needed to hear Hyukjae talk about it. They sat comfortably on Donghae’s bed while Donghae had excused himself for a shower, Sungmin had made him promise he would be out within ten minutes or else he would yank the door off of its hinges and drag donghae out.

Donghae had zoomed off and slammed the door, loudly locking it up.

“Well Donghae bumped into me around a street corner and then we properly met next day in the resauraunt where I work, I’m sure donghae spoke of it—“

“Oh he did” Sungmin chirped cheerfully “I just want to hear your version of it.”

“What was Donghae’s version?”

“He could not stop talking about how good looking you were.”

Hyukjae snorted “Wow, it does sound like he has nothing but a crush on me?”

Sungmin straightened up, now they were heading in the direction he wanted to steer this conversation to.

“Oh? A crush…hm yeah it would make sense, I mean even fi your feelings for him are just a phase too-“ sungmin paused as Hyukjae’s expressions changed a little, Sungmin smiled politely “I mean just how long have you know Donghae for anyways?”

“It’s nearly half a month.” Hyukjae’s voice sounded guarded, his expressions were suddenly not that readable anymore, Sungmin felt he had hit a sensitive nerve.

“Two weeks then.” Sungmin re-phrased it “I’m not trying to impose my views, just saying, that’s quiet a short while.” Donghae was probably going to be unhappy if he found out about this conversation, Sungmin of all people, knew exactly what donghae was going through, he’d been through it once himself.

He had ended up losing the person, she was assassinated.

“Are you trying to tell me something hyung? If yes, please speak openly, I don’t do well with riddles. If no, then kindly let me say I’m not about to propose to him or something, I just like him, a lot. By a lot I mean I would certainly stick around and get to know him more. He’s already told me he likes me too, a lot. I don’t see a problem.”

Sungmin continued to smile, the gears turned in his mind, both of them were feeling at nearly the same extent, difference was, Donghae’s situation was just way more complicated. “Hyukjae-ssi rest at ease, if there is anything I am trying to tell you, I will do so straight forwardly. I do recall Donghae speaking of how he looked up to you”

Hyukjae nodded but chose to remain silent Sungmin did see a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. A few moments later Donghae walked out the bathroom, towel tide at his bare waist, the guy casually walked out and to the closet, humming as he tried to decide on clothes from his wardrobe. Hyukjae tried not to stare so to distract himself he began to ask about  the place, it was new to him, for a workplace to have rooms for employees.

“Due to our work, these are the perks provided by our organization, we get to live where we work, food and stuff are all provided by them.”

Hyukjae smiled as Donghae appeared by his side, fully dressed and looking as fresh as ever, his hair wet and tousled, he looked delicious.

Kangin’s entry without a knock had everyone turning. The big guy however had not expected to see one of their targets to comfortably sitting in donghae’s room; he knew how to react though and smiled politely at hyukjae, nodding a greeting.

“Gain wants us all downstairs.”

Sungmin bounced off the bed, cheerfully telling the ‘kids’ to hurry up and come down.

Donghae was just about to step out after him when Hyukjae’s serious expression stopped him “What’s up?”

Hyukjae eyes were narrowed as if pondering upon something “Gain..” he slowly muttered, mulling over the name. A look of realization was next and he quickly got up from the bed “Donghae, who is Gain exactly?”

Donghae blinked “Our boss, the head—why?”

Hyukjae pinched the bridge of his nose, closing his eyes. All the unpleasant memories flooded back “I-uh, I should just leave.” Hyukjae spoke abruptly and Donghae was instantly clinging on him, gazing up sadly “But Hyukjae, it would mean a lot to me if you stuck around.”

Funny how Donghae could not tell his fake words from real ones, he did want the guy around but all to himself, Gain and her plan didn’t matter as much anymore.

“Donghae your boss...I would prefer to not see her, had I known it was her I would have never come—“

“Hey guys what’s taking so long.” An impatient looking Leeteuk appeared and Donghae instantly told him that Hyukjae wanted to leave.

Leeteuk promptly flashed Hyukjae an insistent look “Hyukjae-ssi, all we ask of you is to simply join us there, you may leave after if you still feel like leaving. I believe you will find the topic of discussion rather interesting.”

“But Gain…Gain’s there” Hyukjae mumbled and rubbed a hand over the side of his face, Hyukjae was not sure whether these two already knew what a witch that woman really was and if they did why were they even working under her?

Hyukjae kept a calm appearance, simply gazing at the  two awaiting men, but his mind was now full on unanswered questions and of course if he was getting any answers, it was going to happen by sticking around.

With a sigh he nodded watching Donghae brighten up who instantly took his hand and interlaced their fingers, Hyukjae watched Donghae’s happy face, that crocked grin appeared and he could not help but smile back. He decided he would have a detailed talk with Donghae later.

 

 

 

 

The three progressed down the steps. Leeteuk up front and Donghae by his side, Hyukjae’s observant gaze darted in all directions, sticking to the large door they had come in through.

“Right around here” he heard Leeteuk direct them. Soon they were approaching wooden double doors, closed but Hyukjae could practically feel her reptile-like aura from within. It left a bad taste in his mouth, Donghae blinked at him questioningly but he shook his head and stepped in after Leeteuk.

A pair of yellow eyes turned and zeroed onto Hyukjae and he could not help but not care about the rest of the room being filled by her men as he let out a low growl “Gain, never knew I would be seeing you again.”

He felt Donghae squeeze his hand, whether that was a warning or  a gentle act of reassurance Hyukjae could not work it out properly for now, that snake woman was smiling at him, the kind of smile that every predator has before jumping it’s prey.

“Oh but I hoped you see you Hyukkie, my my how you’ve grown.”

Hyukjae’s  left eye twitched, Hyukkie.

“What the actual fu—“

Someone in the room cleared their throat, loudly, of course this was uncomfortable for the audience, Hyukjae’s demeanor was rigid and cold “Hyuk, let’s sit”

“I’m fine standing, Donghae.”

Donghae raised a brow at the tone of finality and decided to not bother the man too much right now, plus he needed to keep Gain at bay from what Donghae was really going through, so all he did was nod and released his hand. Once Donghae took a seat by Kangin he realized how there were some new faces along the large rectangular table, Gain had already begun to speak, loud and authoritative

“…our kind has the right to exist as much as any other species in the lands of Felondor hence we see the cure as a crime against the right of existence. The Werewolf communities along with the Mer-folk spoke up about this as well in fact the leader of the Northern Elf clan expressed his concern directly to me over the phone, every specie agrees on this being a blatant crime and not just something wrong. As you all know we are one out of several different species that exist within the large expanse of Felondor, the only difference with us is that we do not have a singular form or identity like the humans do, we are able to transform, I’m guessing the humans are simply jealous.” A mocking smirk tugged at her lips “And it’s the humans who somehow managed to dominate the higher ranks, our representatives can’t exactly pull rank.”

She placed her hands spread out on the table, leaned forward as she stood looking absolutely confident, eyes hovering over each and every face in the room, she could clearly see just how displeased Hyukjae was looking right now. She smirked

“Allow me to explain how the cure is supposed to act” her eyes moved on to Joon “Joon-ssi here has kindly provided us with news that is most unfortunate.” She gazed at her nails momentarily and then peered up at her audience, piercing gaze as if penetrating through the wall “One of our fellow Shifter was ambushed and caught by the government’s agents. The shifter was called Young Won, he was a shark shifter hence he lived in a small hut on the beach, he was ambushed and gagged, taken to some unknown location-which better not remain unknown for long Joon-ssi, kindly work on that- and injected with the cure after being strapped down on a table. The cure is supposed to be made of those natural chemicals and enzymes mixed with man-made syrums to somehow manipulate the very core of our structure, in order to destruct and then reconstruct, by that they intend on killing and taking away the ability to transform.” She trailed off, the room was entirely silent, all eyes on her “Young Won’s body could not handle it, he died. Who could survive such a destructive thing within their sysmte, that tries to alter their very being. Humans are being ignorant fools if they think they can change the very structure of how we are made.” She continued in a whisper, eyes lowered as she inhaled a sigh “ So the cure has been tested, our resources say the human scientist are still debating about that thing not even being near to be successful, however the government is adamant and will enforce it no matter what, the scientist have simply been given a limit of few days to work on the cure, to make it workable.”

Gain then shoved a hand in a bag by her side and held up a small crystal bottle, filled with clear blue liquid “ As for this particular syrum, Joon-ssi commonly refers to it as your energy drinks-my friends, it does not simply add to your abilities but will also work against the cure and as a preventive agent, a defense system, a healing matter, so I request to you to continue taking your daily required doses of the syrum because I have been getting disturbing news on my dear friends skipping their doses.” She knitted her brows in absolute concern, lowering her voice to sound worried “That is not right, not right at all”

Donghae kept a straight face, after all he didn’t expect for someone to be spying on them as well, since Donghae thought he was the only one who had stopped taking the syrum, he was surprised. He shot a glance at Hyukjae who was glaring daggers at the crystal bottle. It was obvious the man knew and did not like Gain at all. Donghae himself had been weary from Gain all along, so of course he was interested in whatever information he could get from him.

“Doghae-ssi?” Donghae snapped out of his thoughts and looked up, Joon was holding out the syrum bottle “Here.” Donghae carefully studied his face, could it have been Joon who was spying on them all? Playing Gain’s little  pet? Joon’s expressionless face gave off nothing, donghae flashed him a loop-sided grin “thanks man” and took the small vessel, tilting it over in his hand and watching the blue liquid rolling forth. Joon was going around the table, handing one to each, he even stopped by Hyukjae but he refused.

“Hyukjae-ssi? Kindly do take it, as I already explained this syrum is our weapon against the cure if, God forbid, one of us ever becomes a victim of it as well.” Gain smiled sweetly and nodded in his direction. Grudgingly hyukjae took it and stuffed it in his pocket.

“I’m so glad to say we the circle are not alone in this cause, like Hyukjae-ssi, several of our old associates- or well, ex-members, if I may use the term-have stepped forth to willingly act against the cure before it is even made public. You all were once again called upon because while you were an active part, you we all known to be forces to be reckoned with, each of is a strong individual, you were our elites and we are so glad to have you back onboard. Please be a bit more patient with me while I go over certain details. The government seems to be willing to drive us to our limits. I have dispatched a small team to talk some parliament members than can actually help reject the idea once it’s brought up, so trust me we are trying.”

Hyukjae’s eyes expressed everything but trust, he spotted Donghae frown at her and wondered why.

“However.” Gain’s clipped stern tone brought his gaze back to her “When push comes to shove, we will not let them walk over us. I’m sure that since you all are here, you are ready to go to any extent in order to suppress any such effort against our kind.”

Hyukjae grunted, she was right about that, he was indeed ready to go to any extent.

“Hence if all fails, you all will be divided into teams in order to ambush and take out several human government personnel and make it seem like accidents, we will send a clear message out to the world. We are not to be messed with. For now we shall wait to see whether they accept our diplomatic efforts or not. You are all dismissed.”

Hyukjae felt something to be off about this plan, his eyes roamed over familiar faces of Leeteuk, Sungmin and Donghae, all three looked grim.

Something just didn’t feel right.