ix

Strayed

A/n: Early update, I updated chapter 8 earlier just today.^^

 

He was running, trying to catch up to Hyukjae through the woods. It was very dark, he kept calling out, pleading for Hyukjae to stop but all he felt from Hyukjae was anger, extreme anger.

“Hyukjae, please, I’m sorry!!” he yelled, panting as his legs started to lose their strength from running so much.

Hyukjae abruptly stopped and turned around, his face pulled in a vicious snarl as he glared at him accusingly.

Donghae ran up to him, arms stretched out as if wanting to collapse against the guy and hold on to him as if his life depended on it. He still needed to close in the gap when he saw it.

A shadow jumped out from behind the tree, grabbed Hyukjae’s throat and  slit it open with a dagger.

“NO!”

 

“DONGHAE!”

Donghae woke up with a start, yelping and jumping to the other side of bed when he woke up to a pair of large eyes right in his face, shocked he rolled off the bed, landing with a thud and goran he blinke up sleepily at a sheepish Hyukjae peeking over and waving “Hi?”

Donghae was heaving and perspiring, staring up at Hyukjae blankly.

Oh, just a horrible dream.

“donghae you don’t look to well and you were fidgeting in your sleep, you sure you’re not over-worked? Hyukjae voiced his concern,, stretching out a hand to help Donghae up.

Donghae remained on the floor though, groggy and heave-headed “how’d you get in?”

“sungmin hyung~” Hyukjae grinned “ I had no idea your workplace is also your residence! Wow this is super cool, I’ll just quit my job and get a job here.” Donghae slowly got up, clambering onto the bed and crawling up, still looking out of it he leaned against the backrest, blinking sleepily at Hyukjae who scooted by his side, almost cuddling with him “Bad dream?”

Donghae slowly nodded, feeling a surge of warmth as he felt Hyukjae’s lips press gently on his temple, his fingers working magic as they threaded through Donghae’s hair, massaging the head. Donghae didn’t even fight it, he simply leaned into his touch

Donghae smiled a lazy apologetic smile as he began to wake up more “I-I’m sorry I left you like that with Min-hyung.”

“It’s fine silly, at least you got some sleep, even though it seems to have been a restless nap. When you didn’t come back down for a long time, Min-hyung knew exactly where to look for you and here I am. He made me promise to not wake you up for a while but then to started fidgeting and groaning in your sleep.”

“Oh” Donghae breathed out, suddenly recalling the not-so-pleasant chat with Leeteuk.

 “Are you really alright Donghae? You were already bothered while we walked through the woods and now, honestly your eyes all swollen, your restless sleep. Wait-did that supervisor of yours say something to upset you?? Im’a  backhand across his face!” Hyukjae faked a tough guy accent, slurring his words which made Donghae smile a bit, turning his face towards Hyukjae’s which was really close. He could just lean in and… “No, it’s nothing to do with Leeteuk-hyung.”

Hyukjae flashed him a tiny smile, eyes wide and sincere as he pressed their foreheads together- donghae wished he would stop doing that already, it was bloody endearing!- and peered into his eyes “I meant it when I said you can always talk to me.”

“I know” donghae whispered, blinking at Hyukjae’s concerned face, noting how his brows scrunched slightly, lips parted a bit, eyes searching his own. Donghae marveled at how precious and endearing Hyukjae was looking right now. He felt worse that all this would end, sometime very soon perhaps. Or Donghae could just say it right now, tell him the truth he deserved to know, no matter what the cost. Donghae let out a chortle, yearning lingering in his eyes, that had Hyukjae raising a brow, he shook his head “nothing, you look so loveable and precious right now.”

Hyukjae faked a disappointed look “don’t I always? And oh, loveable am I?” his lips parted in that gummy smile that had Donghae felt himself fall for him a bit more. “Maybe” donghae whispered teasingly and Hyukjae only pulled him closer with a soft jerk, playfully glaring at him “So, was that your way of saying that you’re in lo-“

“A bit too soon for that word, no?” donghae quickly cut in, Hyukjae’s worried gaze did no good “donghae, is it me? Your source of worries?”

Donghae’s hand instantly went over to cling onto the material of Hyukjae’s shirt and he tightened his hold on him, pressing their foreheads together “No…” I’m my source of worries “It’s just, my job gets stressy and I don’t like what I d-do.”

I don’t like lying to you

“That was my other guess.” Hyukjae nodded “What is it that you do though, I mean, what exactly are your tasks.”

I act and make people fall for me by pretending to be in love with them then I break hearts after we are done using them. I’ve been lying to you all this while, even our first kiss, but believe me things are different now, so much different. I want to start over.

“I’m sort of like a recruiter, it means a lot of interviewing new applicants and all” he responded, amazed at how smoothly he was able to respond in such a convincing manner, they were talking in hushed tones. While Hyukjae kept it soothing,  donghae fought to keep calm “You’re not the only one, babe. My job gets so stress too, I just can’t wait to open a restaurant of my own and be the boss this time, of course we can be co-owners.”

Donghae let out a bitter-sweet chortle “Hyukjae, you…you talk like you know that things will work out like that.”

“Donghae, you don’t sound like yourself at all, hey, look at me.” Hyukjae reached out and tipped Donghae’s chin up, flashing him a warm smile as his hand cupped donghae’s chin “I guess I’m getting to meet your gloomy side. I’m sure that positive and full of energy donghae will appear anytime soon.” Donghae breathed out a sigh, corners of his lips turning up “Yeah, that’s more like it, I just love how your smile lits your face like a brand new bulb lits up a room.”

Donghae breathed out a laugh “Oh, a bulb, um usually people compare the sun, the moon. But bulb is okay too.” He tried to cheer up for the sake of the idiot before him, who knew nothing at all and was still being such a sweetheart.

“Hyukjae, are there some things you can just never forgive?”

Hyukjae cradles Donghae’s face in his hands, cupping his face and gently squishing the cheeks which made Donghae’s lips perk up, he cooed at the adorable face, Donghae attempted a growl, it failed and Hyukjae grinned “Why such a sudden question? Well hm let’s see. Backstabbing, disloyalty and of course breaking of trust.”

Donghae gulped, a sinking feeling deep inside was taking over “You trust me?”

Hyukjae seemed to ponder on that a bit and then his eyes softened “I’ve grown to trust you, yes,  and you?” Hyukjae’s face inched closer, Donghae saw his hooded eyes that were so obviously focused on donghae’s lips. Donghae nodded a little, till then Hyukjae had molded their lips together, moving slowly in such a way that donghae felt a pool of heat boil within, his hands frantically  gripped onto Hyukjae’s shoulders and kissed back, furiously on his upper lip and nibbling, he was yearning for this. Not even aware of when had he pushed Hyukjae back against the bed rest and getting onto his knees he snuffled closer, pressing and moving his torso on Hyukjae’s. He and nibbled, feeling heat take over and translating all his true emotions, things he could never say, the truths he could not dare to utter but all the while making sure he clung onto Hyukjae securely, as if losing his hold would lead Donghae to fall somewhere deep and dark. Rotating and brushing his torso over Hyukjae’s he heard the other gasp out his name the friction was driving both of them to another level. Donghae whimpered, heart beat going crazy and then he felt Hyukjae trying to pull back.

Grunting a whine he kept on leaning in, brushing their abdomens together frantically, crawling into Hyukjae’s lap even more if possible, wanting more “Donghae wait.” Hyukjae’s words just hit him, Hyukjae was wide-eyed and looking shocked “Why are you crying?” he whispered softly

Donghae sat there ,stunned for a while “No I’m-“ Hyukjae had meanwhile brushed away a stray tear as another trickled down the side of Donghae’s eye, only then he realized that yes, his eyes had indeed teared up.

These damn tears seemed determined today. Donghae sniffled as he tried to smile “ I’m sorry, ruined the moment.”

“Don’t be silly” Hyukjae protested tenderly, caressing his face as heavy breathing escaped from his somewhat swollen lips “Talk to me.”

“I just… got emotional” Donghae mumbled, not meeting Hyukjae’s gaze, which was worrying the other more he breathed out a soft chuckle and gazed up through his wet lashes, watery eyes staring straight into his “I just, really really like you, a lot.” He felt so good to be actually not lying, to mean it; he felt a chunk of pressure lift off of his mind. He didn’t want to sound this hoarse and timid, but at least it got the job done. Hyukjae’s own eyes seemed to be filled with an expression Donghae could not quite categorize, but it was a happy expression, if that wide gummy smile was any indication

“Is that it? Is that really all?”

“But there’s something…that you’ll find stupid.” Donghae stumbled over his words.

“Try me” Hyukjae tilted his head and Donghae nuzzled his face in the warm crock of his neck, smiling when he felt Hyukjae jerk a little “Ticklish here?”

“Donghae please.” Hyukjae pleaded and Donghae’s shoulder shook in laughter, after he had calmed a bit he continued “My boss…she h-has this weird rule about, uhm, commitments and relationships.”

“Mhm?” he felt hyukjae nod and carried on “so, she or well my supervisor won’t like it like it if they find out about…us. She just thinks it somehow kills the our efficiency or some .”

“Hm, it’s not like you can get pregnant.“ was Hyukjae serious sounding response.

Donghae almost hummed in agreement before he caught onto the joke and abruptly pulled away but instead of hitting or complaining he latched their mouths together, and nibbling with a new vigor that sent Hyukjae to become a squeaking and withering mess.

That was till Sungmin suddenly burst in through the door, his jaw clenched and arms crossed. The way the door banged against the wall made them both pull back and stare wide eyed at Sungmin.

“I-“ Hyukjae fought to say something “hi?”

“Hyukjae-ssi could you please excuse us?”

“Is Donghae in trouble?” was Hyukjae’s instant question, Donghae’s wide eyes darted from Hyukjae to Sungmin who sent him a somewhat sympathetic look. “no he’s not” was a soft response. “I just need to go over a few things, in private, I promise I won’t be too long.”

Hyukjae glanced at Donghae and whispered “If he tries anything, I’ll jump right in, I’m going to glue my ear to the door-“

“Kindly do not do that Hyukjae-ssi” Sungmin piped, smiling apologetically “Just um go take a walk along the hall I guess.” Sungmin gestured to the door. Donghae’s racing heart leapt as Hyukjae quickly moved in for a short kiss, pulling back with a smack and proceeded to hesitatingly crawl out of bed, on purpose going out of the room at the speed of a snail’s.

Once he was finally gone (sungmin made sure by peeking around and shutting the door) Sungmin marched over to an unhappy looking donghae.

“Before you even ask or wonder, yes I heard you asking him questions about trust and things he could not forgive, now I need you to ask a question from yourself. Just how long can you keep this ty act up in front of him and us and yourself before you drive yourself crazy?”

Donghae gulped audibly, Sungmin looked positively angry and intimidating. The man’s fists were clenched by his side as he continued “ I stood out there debating with myself whether to come in or not and then good lord your moans and his, I just knew I had to before things went anywhere else!”

Donghae tried matching Sungmin’s glare but could not, he was right, how long before he drove himself mad?

Not too long it felt, if Donghae could start crying without even realizing it, certainly not too long.

He felt a headache coming and the ever-observant Sungmin picked it up, he softened his eyes and tone “Hae, let me tell you this right now. Whatever your decision would be, I’m hundred percent with you.”

Donghae smiled bitterly “I do not have freedom of choice.”

“You do! You always did!” Sungmin insisted, looking near to being upset as well “There are always such things in life, such people in life who make you want to change everything about you, about your surroundings and you can! The job you are doing, this was probably just a tool for fate to use to get you to meet Hyukjae and look at you two now! Do you have any idea just how truly happy you two seem with each other! Do you know Gain saw you two entering already?”

Donghae froze “ she’s—“

“--been here all the while, yes. She even called me up and complimented at just how bloody convincing your act of being in love with him was that even she was convinced you two had a thing for each other!” Sungmin sighed “That does not change anything. I don’t ing care what Gain thinks or does, I want my cousin back not this gloomy mop of dejected mess.” Donghae scoffed, he could feel the words coming from Sungmin’s heart. “Just tell me Hae, and I’ll help in whatever way, but right now, you need to help yourself out, okay?”

Donghae felt his eyes get watery againt as he nodded “But Hyukjae won’t like the truth. He’ll hate me for it.”

“His answer is his, you talking of it with him will show your feelings for him, just say it instead of regretting or having never even tried. Sure what the beginning was an act, but the donghae right now is the real deal.” Walking closer Sungmin pressed his hand down on donghae’s head and bent low to affectionately kiss his head.

There was an insistent knocking on the door and then a vague “ you two better not be doing funny stuff in there.”

Donghae and Sungmin shared a look, Donghae pursed his lips and laughed into his hand silently while Sungmin let out a growl and marched up to yank the door open, his hand shot out to grab a fist full of Hyukjae’s shirt’s collar and pulled him in “ I’m his hyung you idiot! All my affections for him are brotherly so talk sensibly you moron!”

Donghae’s laughter just got louder as Hyukjae began to frantically bow and blurt apology after apology, whining at donghae in between to stop laughing.

--

“Kangin-ssi kindly call in donghae and Hyukjae for the meeting, I do miss those lovely faces.” Gain purred, leaning back a bit seductively into her plush chair.

Kangin bowed politely and left her office, a grim frown in place as he headed up the stairs to the rooms.