xxv

Strayed

A/N: It's long and yeah, have fun :D

 

A YEAR AND SIX MONTHS LATER

 The chocolate orbs surveyed the vast, posh interior of the restaurant keenly.

“Beautiful place, great opening night too, congratulations.” The voice came from beside him; his chocolate orbs met light brown ones.

“Why thank you, I’m glad you’re enjoying your night.”

“How could I not? Wherever I look, I find elegance, beauty and charm.” The light brown eyes remained level all the while with the chocolate ones.

A playful smirk.

“So you bought this expensive piece of land and got it all made up for your Fiancé I heard?” the inquisitive light brown eyes peered deeper into the chocolate ones.

A wide grin “Yes indeed, he says I’m more passionate about his dreams than he is himself.”

“You must be crazy about him.”

“Oh he has no idea.” Was the smooth response. Husky laughter mingled with the sounds of tinkling glass and light jazz music in the background. They grinned at each other widely and Donghae chuckled a bit more, arm wrapping around Hyukjae’s back and bringing him close enough to press their bodies against each other. “I’ll show you just how crazy I am about you, privately.”

Hyukjae cocked a brow “My,my, that does sound tempting enough for us to leave our own restaurant’s opening night so damn early.”

Donghae winked “ Then let’s get out of here already.”

Hyukjae would have responded had a couple not walked up to them at that moment, acquaintances of Hyukjae that demanded to meet Hyukjae’s fiancé already.

“This is Lee Donghae, my better half.” Hyukjae proudly presented Donghae.

“I am better.” Donghae purred cheekily as he shook hands, graciously accepting the congratulations they were showered with, not just for finally putting a ring on it but also for the restaurant. Hyukjae had tried glaring at his rather cocky fiancé but that proved difficult, the very sight of Donghae made him smile, he had found gold. He thought back to how it had all happened.

--

The past year  had been stressful, mostly for Hyukjae and frustrating for donghae.  An active individual as Donghae found himself incapable of being himself as he was constantly monitored and supervised, his limbs healed slowly, the damage had been severe. The doctors had told them to be grateful that amputation had not been required, donghae had shuddered at the very thought and Hyukjae had nearly gone into depression. Donghae’s recovery itself took a good eight month period, having been still in bed meant the limbs, once healed, needed to get used to walking and moving, so Donghae attended rehab for a while before he was finally allowed leave, with the promise he would not indulge in stressful activities. With the mansion having been almost destroyed due to the rampage, it was being rebuilt.

The head of Felondor’s government that happened to be human decided that the individuals that had taken action and prevented the upheavel of the fgovernment were heroes, hence it was decided they would be rewarded and repayed through large sums of money. Hyukjae was initially not happy with this at all, saying he didn’t need money from humans, they had not done this for the government but for themselves. However after a talk with Leeteuk he had begrudgingly allowed for the money to be accepted, they needed it for the reconstruction of the mansion and for something Donghae needed the money for.

Hyukjae insisted but donghae didn’t say a word about what he needed the money for. For the while the mansion was being built, they were invited back to the Werewolf Palace by jongwoon to stay over for the time being. This time though only the eight of them accepted the offer. Leeteuk, Kangin, Siwon, Sungmin, Kyuhyun, Donghae, Henry and Hyukjae.

“I have a proposal” Jongwoon announced over lunch one day. Hyukjae spotted Sooyoung grin knowingly as she bit into her steak. His eyes shifted to the handsome one who sat right across the table and was currently trying to get a reaction out of Hyukjae by running his foot up and down Hyukjae’s leg. Hyukjae threw a warning glare but all Donghae did was smirk, never pausing his ministrations.

“And what would that be?” Kangin eased himself back in the chair, hand lightly pressed over his ribcage.

“That we Werewolves and you Shifters along with the Fae and Elves create an alliance, the sort where our kinds can interact freely, without a trace of hostility as well as movei n and out of each others territories without fear of invasions and .” Jongwoon’s unblinking gaze was moving from Leeteuk to Kangin, the two were the unofficial leaders here, at least in Jongwoon’s eyes, hence he anticipated their response.

“That actually does not sound bad…but taking into consideration how some species have had bad history..” Leeteuk trailed off “give us time.” He smiled decisively and Jongwoon grinned “Sure thing as for history, it’s something of the past, sure it helps make us who we are today, but let’s not let it prevent us from making things right. I mean hey we pretty much wagged war together, I think that was some good bonding time.”

Kyuhyun snorted at the choice of words. The next morning after a small meeting Leeteuk finally gave Jongwoon the much anticipated answer.

“We accept, Jongwoon.”

 

--

It had been kept from Donghae for a while, but on a certain night when Hyukjae mysteriously driven them out t Sungmin’s café saying Donghae must meet someone, Donghae got the greatest surprise of his life. His father stood there at the entrance, by his side sungmin beamed, his eyes glistening happily. Donghae went from shock to realization and finally relief, he fled into his father’s awaiting arms and sobbed like a baby. For Hyukjae he was meeting his first boss ever, Hyukjae greeted the man respectfully, in return laughing nervously when he got threatened about the things the man would do to him if he ever hurt Donghae. Donhae had happily trilled and dragged his father back to the Werewolf palace, that night Hyukjae snuggled with the pillow Donghae’s had used. Donghae had slept snuggled like a baby in his Father’s arms that night. Seeing donghae smile in such a manner filled Hyukjae’s heart with joy and he wondered, just what else could he do to make donghae smile like that.

--

The way Hyukjae and donghae spent their new year’s eve was something the two would never forget. It was new year and the start of several new things.

It started by Donghae waking up in their room in the Palace and looking around blearily, mind only half-awake as he noted Hyukjae’s absence. Think the other left for breakfast already he allowed his sleepy self to sleep just a bit more.

The next time he opened his eyes an impateitn looking Kyuhyun was shaking him “ finally” the younger muttered and smirked as he shovd a piece of paper in donghae’s face. “Go.” Was all Kyuhyun said as he left, leaving Donghae clueless and staring on the words scribbled on the paper.

Hae-ah let’s play a game! :D. Change into a suit, preferably that white one with baby pink shirt. I know you don’t like pink but just do it. Then get Siwon to shift into horse form and ride out. Your time starts as soon as Kyuhyun says ‘Go’.

Oh

Confused but greatly intrigued Donghae jumped out of bed, his lips in anticipation, it was usual routine for them, leaving beforehand and then calling each other afterwards to meet up at a certain place, or perhaps leaving tiny mysterious notes starting with ‘lets play a game’ usually Hyukjae would od that. Donghae accepted it as  ‘it’s a Hyukjae thing’.

By the time he was all suited up, hair set nicely, spike up a bit from the front to reveal his forehead he was out of his room, practically bounding down the stairs and asking whoever he met whether  they had seen Siwon.

 Leeteuk grinned mischievously as he simply told donghae to go out the Palace door. Once he did he spot Siwon, the man had already shifted into his horse form and  enthusiastically waved his mane and tail as he spotted donghae coming out.

The ride was super-fast, Donghae had to hold onto Siwon’s flowing mane, his knees squeezed to keep a grip on the galloping horse’s side as they made their way over the streets. Donghae had tried several ways to make Siwon talk, it was clear they all knew what was going on but they all refused to tell and right now he felt very stupid to be trotting down busy streets on a horse in a suit.

For all he knew there was someone in the crowds filming this sight- which according to Dnghae would be a hilarious sight- he started cautiously glancing around for someone with a camera aimed at him. That’s when he felt Siwon bump against something; the stallion had toppled over an officer’s bike and then darted off. Donghae had yelped and shouted at Siwon to calm down and stop running so wildly through busy streets, that of course the officer won’t chase after them.

He was wrong.

The siren behind him was heard within a seconds, donghae gasped and glanced over his shoulder, face scrunched in worry, thankfully Siwon slowed dow to a stop, now all Donghae had to do was profously apologize and maybe even pay for damages to the bike.

But when the officer simply held up a hand with an envelope that looked to be the kind that wedding invitations were sent out in, to donghae. Donghae stared at it before taking it, thanking the officer weakly as the officer simply rode off.

He heard Siwon sniggering behind him as he quickly opened the envelope and out slipped a piece of paper.

Aw did my baby freak out? okay now say this to siwon : ‘let’s go to the place of hawks and eagles.”

Extremely unsure donghae turned around and bit the corner of his bottom lip “Um…let’s go the place of hawks and eagles..?”

Siwon snorted in his face before dancing his head in a vague nod and then they were off. Donghae was beginning to get a feeling that maybe; just maybe this is a prank.

What if the person he’s getting notes from is not Hyukjae at all?!

Trying to wave away dismissive thoughts Donghae’s simply focused on where he was now, Siwon had apparently gotten off of the main road and was now running down a dusty path. The trees around them grew in amount and soon they were galloping down long wild grass. Donghae’s eyes travelled up to the high branches where he began to spot hawks and eagles, perched atop trees in all their glory, staring down at them. Donghae was about to ask Siwon to turn around when a figure suddenly jumped in front of them from out of the bushes. Siwon stopped abruptly, causing Donghae to face-plant into his long nape. Whimpering he placed a hand over his slightly aching nose, swearing under his breathe if his nose looked displaced he would skin Siwon alive.

“Hello Donghae, we’ve been expecting you.”

Oh right, who the heck had jumped out of the bushes like this? He blinked his watery eyes and gazed at an elf he did not recognize. “Um, hello?”

The elf that donghae was staring at stood proudly with a whit net veil lowered in front of her face. He did see her grin from under it, beckoning them she laughed “ follow me.” Was all she said before she skipped ahead, Siwon right after her with a very cautious donghae on his back.

--

“Please Donghae, eat well.” The woman opposite to him smiled kindly as she gazed at him “All this has been prepared for you, you must have not even had breakfast.” Donghae tried smiling back, he felt awkward though. Here he was, deep in the Elf territory, sitting on a table filled with lavish food of all arities, enough to feed armies.

Just for him.

“We prepared a proper wedding feast for you.”

Donghae swallowed the pieceo f cake in his mouth, unable to stop gawking at the twelve layered cake that stood proudly at the corner of the table “ You sure did.” He muttered unconsciously before gasping and quickly hanking the woman for all the touble.

And siwon of ocurse who was currently wolfing down everything his hands could reach, he had shifted back to human ( and still not said a word about what the heck was going on). Donghae sat stiffly as he politely nibbled on some more cake, aching to get out of there.

“Please, Donghae-ssi.” Donghae’s eyes grew large as he got up in synch with siwon and bowed a little “Tiffany.” His brow twitched as he saw Tiffany was actually dressed in a long flowing white gown.

Looking pretty much like a bride.

What the hell was this Lee Hyukjae up to?!

“Please, please” she giggled softly, smiling warmly “be seated, and do eat well, Hyukjae did insist on making sure you ate well, he said you are a picky eater.” Tiffany scrunched her nose teasingly and Donghae felt the area around his collar grow hot.

Damn you Lee Hyukjae. But hey, atelast he could try getting answers out of Tiffany.

“Do you know where-“ he was cut off by the shake of Tiffany’s head, Siwon simply stared at Donghae mockingly as Tifanny continued “ I’m sorry but I simply can not give any information regarding, well, anything.” She shrugged cutely, her lips out in a half-pout smile and Donghae, feeling a bit flustered nodded, reached out to grab a large piece of meat and snatched out a big chunk with his teeth.

Yea, he was going to eat very well now, he decided as he grumbled causing Siwon and Tiffany to grin at him. Everyone was enjoying this, aside from Donghae.

--

Thanking Tiffany for the hospitality and generous amount of food Donghae left- with a small piece of paper he got from Tiffany, it had said for him to go to the beach. Siwon was doing a great job keeping his mouth shut hence frustrating Donghae even more. This was exciting and frustrating at the same time and donghae really did hope things would be revealed to him by night fall.

He realized they were heading to the beach once the sound of crashing waves hit his ears. They had been ridding for so long ( holding onto a galloping horse with knees squeezed at it’s side was a tiring job) he felt tired but he was not going to allow himself to rest till he found out what Hyukjae was up to.

Damnit he was missing that idiot.

Siwon stopped and that was donghae signal to get off. He was unconsciously pouting; siwon nuzzled his long face against Donghae’s now messy hair. Fidgeting with his collar and just wanting to take of the suit’s jacket donghae slowly walked up the beach. Parts of it were crowded. From families to couples lovingly swaying in each other’s holds while kissing. Donghae lip’s unknowingly tilted in a dreamy smile. He was rudely interrupted as he was bumped from behind by Siwon “Just keep walking to that side.” Siwon snorted, trotting forward happily. Donghae sighed; he cast one last glance at the loving couple before moving after Siwon.

He whined about wanting to just sit for a while to rest his legs, the pout fixed on his face as he saw the setting sun cast a beautiful glow down on the water, waves were lapping softly against a bunch of heavy looking rocks. Ah yes, if only that bastard was with him right now, this moment would have been perfect.

“Donghae~” an unfamiliar voice sang his name, he turned to spot a merman floating by one of the rocks. He hastily made his way over and noticed a small shovel “start digging around those white flowers.”

Dondhae’s questioning gaze moved to the spot frowning at the bouquet of white roses. He swiftly began to dig around them, only to reveal a small box after just a few quick scooping out of damp sand. He his hand in and retrieved the small box, it slid open to reveal a key. Furrowing his brows he inspected it, turning in between his fingers.

“Take that along with you, Siwon would know where to take you next.” He heard the Merman comment, after mulling it over in his head he looked up to ask how did the Merman know Siwon’s name and gaped when the Merman was nowhere to be seen.

“Come on Hae, you’re almost there” the horse commented, that had Donghae jumping onto the horse, grinning as he felt the horse shrug in  an irritated manner and galloped along the shore line till they went through the exit on to the road.

--

“What the .” Were donghae’s first few words when Siwon suddenly bucked on the roadside, long yellow straws grew along the lane that led onto the highway. “Siwon, chill!” Donghae yelped as the horse bucked again, almost throwing off Donghae.

“Then get off.” The horse rumbled and Donghae quickly slipped off, frowning.

“Dig” was all Siwon said before sliding himself down on the grass to rest.

Donghae muttered as he began to dig, Siwon had already mentioned that Donghae had to keep a lookout for large rock upon which red roses were placed. Donghae cocked a brow, amused. Soon the small shovel hit something hard. Donghae gasped, keenly pulling out what looked like a larger box. He tried the lid but it didn’t budge. He spotted a keyhole and instantly recalled the key. Hoping it worked he shoved the key in and turned it

Click.

He silently fist-pumped, excited wide grin in place as he opened the box and his smile instantly fell as all he saw was a piece of paper, with more instructions.

It must be getting dark by now.

Donghae glanced around, only now fully realizing that indeed, it was getting dark. Hyukjae had this planned out so well even his notes were spot on. Donghae marveled at how smart his ‘baby’ was as he read on, seeing they needed to ride on a bit more to reach a large field which was usually used for events and parties.

“siwon, siwon let’s go!” Donghae was hyped, he laughed at how Siwon was starting to look like he regreted going along with this plan, he had been doing all the running after all!

 

The horizon was now entirely dark, not that it made a difference for Donghae or Siwon. He began to spot a pace lit by flood-lights of all sizes. Smiling curiously he slipped off of Siwon as the horse came to a stop.

“It looks like…some sort of wedding” he mumbled, large chocolate eyes observing rows of chairs set, facing a small stage-type altar, wihte and red roses set pleseantly all over the place.

And then he saw someone sitting on one of the chairs. His lips parted in a wide smile, he knew exactly who it was. Running he skidded to a stop and them an stood up “You bastard!” Donghae greeted Hyukjae with a tight hug, squeezing him as if Donghae was seeing him after years.  Hyukjae had bee sniggering, donghae pulled back to stare wide eyed and smiling at how Hyukjae was dressed similar to Donghae. “Yah!” he playfully grumbled “ what kind of game was this!?”

Hyukjae was chuckling as he replied “Babe, go over the things nad people you saw. I think I layed out clear and large hints for you. I mean, look at us now, where are we?” He tilted his head, gummy smile in place and Donghae felt his knees weaken. His mind slowed down, all that running had not been able to made him think on the thigns he needed to focus on.

So now he focused and with every realization his heart sped up.

The very first thing he was told to do was dress in a white suit.

Then he received a wedding invitation envelope from the officer.

Then the Elves were dressed and feasting as if on a wedding.

The white roses on the beach.

Worrying his bottom lip in between his teeth he cast a guarded glance at Hyukjae’s attire. White suit.

His eyes hurriedly darted over the place. Yep, pretty much like a wedding…

He didn’t dare to allow himself to actually come to a conclusion he really wanted to so he just shrugged, lightly pouting as he threw his gaze to the ground.

“Hae, do you still have that box you found on the beach?” Donghae glanced up and nodded. Hyukjae walked closer till he wrapped an arm around donghae’s back and set his forehead lightly on donghae’s shoulder “Open it.”

“It was empty, just the piece of paper.”

“That’s what you think, it had a removable base.”

While Hyukjae stepped back and lowered himself on one knee, he felt his heart beat slowing down, cold sweat broke through as his anxious eyes gazed at Donghae who was now removing the base of the box. He saw how Donghae stiffened at the items inside.

 

“Hae, I just wanted this day to be one of the most memorable ones...because if you say yes, there are going to be a lot more days like this to look forward to.” Hyukjae was looking perfect, the look on his face, his shimmering eyes causing donghae to feel weak as he speechlessly gazed at Hyukjae.

Donghae held his breath and let the large box fall while he opened the a smaller one, pursing his lips as two matching silver bands winked back at him. The rings were carved with their names, one had

‘Yours, Hyukjae’ and the other had ‘Yours, Donghae.”

“Will you marry me?” was the next question and Donghae for a while could not move his gaze to Hyukjae. He was being flooded with every emotion, Hyukjae’s own voice was wavering, the hints of nervousness clear.

“Hyukjae…” Hyukjae looked up just in time to catch donghae in his arms in a strong hug. It was an answer enough for Hyukjae as he nuzzled his face against donghae's and swayed him gently.

 

 

 

A/N: and they lived happily ever after, as happily as eunhae can possibly live.

The fic ends here really, I'm certainly thinking about one-shot sequel though, or perhaps a drabble. got a special request? Leave it in comments~

And hey thanks so much for enjoying this, i enjoyed it alot myself.