viii

Strayed

Donghae was sulking, about having been ‘pranked’ like that earlier. Honestly Hyukjae had nearly given him a heart attack with his pissed off act- Donghae was also amazed by Hyukjae’s acting skills.  Hyukjae was trying his best not to laugh at him. They were driving down to their destination, Donghae had grunted out directions and then gone completely silent, arms crosses over his broad chest, eyebrows knitted together, lips slightly pouting, he looked dangerous and not-so-dangerous at the same time, the reason why Hyukjae was finding this oddly hilarious.

He tried to keep his attention on the road, a delighted smile plastered on his face, glad to have gained paid leave for a few weeks by the owner of the restaurant himself as an award for Hyukjae’s hardwork and dedication. Usually Hyukjae would have nothing to do on free days and he would have to come up with things to do. Today, however, he was glad he got free time, he had someone to spend it with now. Hyukjae stole a glance to his side, pursing his lips to control his smile as he glanced back to the road, Donghae still looked cross.

“Take a left and stop the car.”

“ Yes, your highness.” Hyukjae responded politely, only to get whacked on his forearm, hard.

He giggled out an ‘ow that hurt’ and Donghae gritted a ‘no it didn’t, bastard.’ Hyukjae complained it in fact did and Donghae countered that he should shut the up because Hyukjae was not made of some fragile material

"Look at us bickering like a loving couple" Hyukjae blurted, amused.

 

He stopped the car when Donghae started to make frantic motions with his hands and shouted to stop already, Donghae hastily exited the car.

“Hey wait!” taken back Hyukjae frantically climbed out, the road they had pulled up seemed to be in them idle on nowhere, Donghae had made them drive to the outskirts of the city. They were surrounded by sparse woods on both side, the brances extending over the road to form a sort of canopy through which sun light filtered through.

Hyukjae thought it to be a romantic view really.

Oh.

Giggle snorting he ran after the grumpy one “Yah, Lee Donghae, why didn’t you tell me first you were bringing us to a romantic spot?”

Donghae actually spun around at that and looked around, as if he had never seen the place before. “This-This isn’t romantic.” Was a weak protest, Donghae was trying so hard to remain angry.

“Damn you and your smile, wipe it off this instant!” Donghae hollered and Hyukjae cackled away, wiggling his brows “Make me.”

Donghae growled, fists clenched, but all signs of anger gone, now he was just holding back from pouncing on the laughing idiot and punching that face before kissing the daylights out of him.

Or Donghae could just let it slide for now and get to why they were really here.

“Donghae~ Is this some hot make-out spot then?~” Hyukjae sang teasingly and Donghae refused to acknowledge the effect it had on him.

“Just shut up and follow me, we walk from here. Fifteen minutes.” He spun around, marching off into the woods.

“B-but” Hyukjae was surely not expecting having to head off into the woods just like that. He hastily locked his car, puzzled once Donghae called over his shoulder for their no need to lock the damn car and just to follow him. Hyukjae was beginning to get worried; Donghaae did not seem to be in a good mood.

Catching up to the guy Hyukjae kept gazing at him, fond and worried he bumped his shoulder lightly with Donghae’s, who silently gazed at him. Hyukjae didn’t find any playful glint in his eyes, the brown orbs surrounded by those beaming blue rims.

“Donghae, I’m sorry for earlier, really, I went overboard didn’t I? I’ve always had this problem, at times my jokes just go way over the line and-“

“It’s not that Hyuk, I mean it’s fine, I’m not mad I just, I just need some time by myself alright.” Donghae sighed, somehow already tired. Noticing Hyukjae had gone entirely silent by his side Donghae began to feel even worse. He liked how Hyukjae joked, he liked how they had bickered in the car, and he would like to see whether there could ever be something solid between them, for real and not just because Donghae was on a mission. His discontentment with what he was doing had shot up considerably and he just had to face it now, he didn’t like doing this to Hyukjae, not one bit.

Donghae gulped at the realization. He really was feeling for him, snorting at himself he shook his head, Lee Donghae had actually slipped up. Donghae was the predator, hypnotizing his prey with his many charms, but this time the predator himself had turned weak. Sure he had bee acting along the plan all the while, though the relentless feelings that pinched him on the inside were true as well.

He felt a tug at his sleeve, his gaze fell to the leaves they walked over, the small path littered by foliage and branches, occasionally coming across paw prints of different sizes. Lifting his eyes up to Hyukjae’s he saw those eyes fixed on him “Donghae we can talk about whatever is bothering you okay? If it’s not me then it’s something.” Flashing him a small smile Hyukjae was actually creating some distance between them and Donghae didn’t like that one bit. He silently curved his arm around Hyukjae’s waist and brought him close- more like mushed their sides together, fingers grasping onto Hyukjae’s shirt “Thanks.” He mumbled and Hyukjae felt the gloomy atmosphere dissipate a little.

“Can I ask you something?”

“Hm.”

“I’ve always wondered about those blue rims…in your eyes…?” Hyukjae ended up asking uncertainly, somehow donghae found that adorable because he promptly grinned and leaned his head forth to peck Hyukjae’s lips “That’s due to the medicine I take.” He lied with a straight face.

“Medicine?” Hyukjae was still feeling that tiny fluttery feeling after the small peck, if he didn’t know any better, Donghae seemed to be swinging in and out of some gloom.

“Hmm, it’s to keep me energized through my long work-hours,  by the way I’m so glad I can actually bring you to work!” Donghae seemed to have relaxed to a great extent, he was smiling now and Hyukjae thought that was all that mattered because those blue rimmed brown eyes and that smile were just

“Beautiful”

“Oh stop you flirt.” Donghae elbowed him lightly, looking away somewhat bashfully and Hyukjae didn’t even fight the little gushing laughter, curving his arm around Donghae’s waist too, he was not risking Donghae running off again “No I mean it, your eyes, they light up like tiny lanterns, twinkling like stars on the night sky, really beautiful.” Donghae spluttered a laugh, shaking his head “ Wow, stars, Lanterns. You don’t mean it so shut up.”

 “I do!” Hyukjae insisted, chuckling softly Donghae did the mistake to look straight into Hyukjae eyes, and felt his heart skip multiple beats due to the earnest expression of those light brown eyes.

Damnit.

Just don’t look him in the eyes, I’ll survive this, just a bit more till we get there.

Donghae felt he could not do this anymore, the least he could do was continue lying something that he did best so to keep Hyukjae at bay, this way when this will all be over, at least Hyukjae will be spared being hurt, then again, was there anyway out of this without hurting Hyukjae?

No.

Meanwhile Hyukjae had been gazing at him and Donghae just had to keep his own gaze straight, the silence filled with several questions, they kept on walking, bodies snuggled together, crunching of leaves and small beams of golden light being cast from above. The breeze picked up, playing with their hair and pulling at the strings of their hearts.

“Donghae, what am I to you?”

And there it was, the dreaded question, usually Donghae would pull up the most sincere and warm smile, his big expressive eyes melting his target’s heart as he would whisper ‘everything’ in the target’s ear causing them to wither and shiver under his touch.

Right now however Donghae just laughed at himself bitterly on the inside, he could not even glance at Hyukjae’s direction anymore. He simply needed to keep the façade up, the part of courting was over where he had to pursue after Hyukjae, now all he needed to do was maintain position till Hyukjae was made use of.

Whatever that is.

“We’re here.” He quietly mumbled instead, relief washing over him as they were led by the path into open grounds, a stoned path lead up to a four-story building, looking like some posh hotel.

Donghae wanted to pick up their pace, their snuggled position was fine, it was their words that could get them both into trouble, Donghae’s feelings to be exact. He felt a bitter cold rush as he was tugged back, with a light  ‘oof’ he bumped into Hyukjae’s chest. He forced a cheerful smile and Hyukjae’s smile was conformation that Hyukjae bought his act. “I asked you something” Hyukjae reminded him tenderly.

“I heard.”

Tell him you adore him and more, way way more.

“I uh..”

Lie, keep lying Lee Donghae. That’s the only path you can take, keep at it.

“The thing is-“

That  I’ve fallen for you so hard, I don’t think I can get up on my own. You’ve become my everything. Say sugar-coated words of love.

“I need time.”

Damnit Donghae!

Hyukjae blinked in slight worry, pouting a little and humming a disappointed “okay” but then he brightened up and pressed his forehead against Donghae’s, smiling adoringly as he peered deep into those blue-rimmed brown eyes “But we are a thing now, okay?”

Donghae snorted lightly at his choice of words “Yes we are Hyukjae, yes we are” he flicked his tongue out, brushing it’s tip over Hyukjae’s top lip that had him wiggling “You ing tease.”

“Sshh, not here.” Donghae suddenly parted and began to walk away, Hyukjae howled out protests “you started it! Hey! Come back here! Do not sway your like that! You seductive little !”

Donghae kept on walking, hysterical laughter that he somehow muted to whimpers and gasps, eyes crinkled as he lead a somewhat deprived Hyukjae straight in through heavy wooden doors.

“Oh my, hello you two.” A familiar voice had Hyukjae turning his head

 “ Oh! Sungmin-hung! Yah, Lee Donghae, you never mentioned Sungmin works here too!” he swatted Donghae’s shoulder lightly who only shrugged and smiled, sticking his tongue out a bit.

“How mature of you, darling” Hyukjae sarcastically spat before turning all the way to Sungmin and talking  pleasantly, Donghae scoffed at how Hyukjae was pretending to ignore him and failing at doing so because the guy kept shooting glances at him.

Sungmin excused himself,saying he would be back in a bit and vanished somewhere down the hall. The two were left alone and Hyukjae thought of utilizing their time. Spinning to Donghae who glanced at him a bit too late he pulled the oblivious in strongly, pushing and grinding down on his body as he claimed his lips, smirking as Donghae moaned heavily once their crotches brushed each other, he could literally feel Donghae melting against him.

“Ah good, you’re here” Donghae spun around, gasping for air, Hyukjae only smirked as he noticed how disoriented and caught the poor thing looked. T was Leeteuk, arms crossed and a strained smile linning his lips, his eyes slowly travelled in between the two before a look of understanding came upon his face, he stood on top of a flight of stairs, “ Hello there, Hyukjae-ssi right? I’m Leeteuk, Donghae’s supervisor.”

Hyukjae promptly bowed a little, politely greeting him morning and ooh so casually placing a hand over the small of Donghae’s back, finding it all endearing and funny, Donghae was literally fighting to compose himself.

“Will you mind if I steal Donghae from you for a while? Leeteuk’s inquiry from hyukjae had Donghae raising a brow.

“ Of course not, by all means please, I hope I’m not casing interruptions in work-“

“Oh no no, certainly not, I’m so glad you could make it, we won’t be long” Leeteuk flashed him a reassuring smile. Donghae waved at Hyukjae a bit before trotting up the stairs, dropping the fake smile and staring as he neared Leeteuk “what?”

“Goodmorning to you too, sunshine, kindly follow me in my office” Leeteuk’s smile was gone too as he lead the younger up another few steps and straight through a door, walking up to a plush couch and patting it “come, sit”

Clearing his throat Donghae obediently sat by him, Leeteuk scooted closer and placed a hand over the younger’s head “Tired?”

“Very.” He sighed, leaning into his touch, smiling a bit as Leeteuk began to move his fingers, massaging the scalp.

“You can have some time off; all that acting must be wrecking your nerves.” Leeteuk mumbled fondly and Donghae hummed

“but what about Hyuk-“

“We will give him something to keep him busy.” Leeteuk spoke up but Donghae shook his head a bit “no, I’ll manage.”

“How much more lying do you plan on doing?”

That caused Donghae eyelids to slide closed, he said nothing for a while before muttering “what do you mean hyung? I’m supposed to make sure Hyukjae-ssi ends up on our side completely.”

Leeteuk snorted, shaking his head “Hyukjae-ssi? Come on Hae-ah, we both know what I’m talking about.” He placed an index finger over Donghae’s chest, placing in on top of his heart that caused Donghae to crack an eye open and gaze at Leeteuk silently “I’m talking about how much lying to yourself are you going to do?”

“I don’t get-“ Donghae’s denial was instantly cut-off when Leeteuk raised a hand, looking dead serious and donghae knew, he just knew that Leeteuk had caught on.

“You have feelings for him.”

“Hyung, please.” Donghae sat up straight, causing Leeteuk’s massaging hand to fall “You know very well how this works, in order to make the acting feel real I need to get somewhat involved with my target and it does come out realistic that way, as soon as this job is done I’ll move to the other branch, out of this city, out of his life.”

Leeteuk remained silent, pursing his lips he exhaled out his nose, his voice serious when he did speak up “I’ve known you for a long time, I know- in fact- I remember just how you quickly you dive in and out of your ‘actor-mode’ and honestly, this is the first time I’m seeing you falter all the way, you’re slipping donghae. This isn’t the first time I’ve observed you getting intimate with targets, and guess what was different about what I saw just now?”

Donghae cocked a brow, trying to keep his face clear of anything that could give anything away “what?”

“You have this habit of never being able to fully close your eyes during a kiss, you enjoyed watching the effect your lips had on a target so you watched them with hooded eyes.”

Donghae felt heat creeping up his cheeks.

“This time though, you were nothing but a melting and shivering mess. Eyes shut tight.”

 

Donghae was already frustrated with himself and here was Leeteuk speaking out his own thoughts and he didn’t like it one bit. Gritting his teeth and glaring at his supervisor he got up “You think I don’t know any of that?? You think I like all of this??? Hyung I’m trying okay, so just let me try, this can be over sooner than we know it and then all this will be over, I’m probably just having a down time.”

Leeteuk palmed his face “you need to sit down donghae.”

“No! You need to listen!”

“Lee donghae” Leeteuk glared right up, his eyes rimmed with a stronger blue tone and Donghae halted in his words, only then he realized he was breathing heavily “ I can and have all rights to report you to Joon.”

Donghae sniffled and looked away, tension gripping his body.

“But I won’t” Leeteuk added calmly and got up, causing the younger to face him but with an averted gaze.

Sighing Leeteuk held Donghae’s arms, clutching them strongly “You’re one of our best, as your supervisor I have no doubt you will pull through. But as your hyung, I worry for you, you do know the golden rule of our job right? Never lie to yourself, that just leads to everything turning out for the worse, right?”

Donghae nodded silently, looking greatly upset and entirely worn out

“Then we all know what to do now, right? I’ll take you off of Hyukjae’s case, you don’t even need to meet him or see him, he won’t be allowed in here while you get time off. We pretty much have him on our side is what I’ll like to think seeing how he eagerly came up in here, he’s been provoked enough, now all we need to do is ease him into our ways.”Leeteuk smiled, trying to pass on some positive energy to Donghae who mumbled something “I’m sorry I didn’t catch that?”

“I said don’t take me off just yet.” He in a lungful of air and picked up his head to confidently smile at Leeteuk “You’re right, I’ve been lying to myself, I happen to have gotten attached to him, I don’t know exactly when or how but I guess this is how attraction works, it just grips you- which is of course not in line with our objectives. So I’ll just stick around, make sure he stays till we need him and then distance ourselves because we need to make sure he sticks around so.” He shrugged.

“But what about you feelings for him?” Leeteuk questioned softly and Donghae grinned “Oh come now hyung, sure these feelings right now seem real but hey this is most probably a phase, which is good, it only guarantees more realistic acting and later on, I can just fling them all away once I get a new target, or I could just go have a nice night out” donghae smirked, winking at Leeteuk and patting his shoulder “Thanks for the talk man, you trust me right?”

Leeteuk smiled, looking a little helpless but nodded either way “ I do, ju..just don’t hurt yourself Hae.”

“sure” Donghae purred and with a quick peck to Leeteuk’s cheek he walked out, headed the opposite direction from the stairs, he needed to make a quick trip to his room, he insisted to himself that he just needed a shower.

More lies, even to Leeteuk, not having said a word about how he had begun to hate his job, how he wanted nothing of it, how he just wanted to grab Hyukjae and run because he could feel it, Hyukjae was not even safe anymore. He didn’t want to do this to Hyukjae, not anymore

Dropping onto his bed after locking his room he dropped face first onto the mattress and screamed out his frustration, muffled and only for him to hear. He felt like he could not move back, neither could he move forth. He wanted to stop lying. Angry and exhausted his fingers gripped around the bed sheet, clenching them tight he lay there in his misery ,he didn't even realize how long he lay there till sleep finally claimed him, eneveloping him in it's comforting embrace.