xx

Strayed

Donghae got distracted once he caught sight of Hyukjae from the corner of his eyes so he was tackled down in an instant by his opponent, the impact caused him to gasp and groan once he landed heavily on his back.

“Wow, you’re like this and you plan to go into battle?” the opponent mocked and lifted herself off of Donghae. Donghae glared up at the werewolf girl, the same mischievous one from last night.

What was her name again? Oh yea,

Sooyoung” donghae restrained a growl and just to show the girl he was lacking in no way he raised his legs in the air and flipped himself up in a standing position “ I’m perfectly in shape for battle, thanks.” He drawled somewhat haughtily and sooyoung just giggled in her hand, dancing back a few steps “Alright then, come at me bro.” she grinned cheerfully and that just fueled his annoyance more.

He didn’t even try keeping it off of his face, the girl laughed a bit more and from the sidelines he heard Hyukjae calling out to him to keep it cool and keep his head in the game.

Well of course this was no game, they had been aroused damn early in the morning- as soon as the sun dawned- and told to come out to the huge training area. Which turned out to be a huge grassy area, where some of the Werewolves and Shifters had gathered, sparring each other. Jongwoon had suggested this, so as to sharpen their skills and understand each other’s strengths and weaknesses ‘better teamwork’ he had said and that he was planning on mauling Gain’s face.

Which was very similar to Donghae’s plans.

 

Meanwhile Hyukjae watched Donghae’s each and every move from the sidelines. The first thing he noted was just how ing hot donghae looked when he was being all serious and pissed off. That murderous look on his face was far too intense. Hyukjae cleared his throat slightly; praising the Heavens that there were mind-reading magical creatures around, or this would be highly embarrassing. To be caught being by someone he (cautiously) liked. He saw as Donghae leapt in the air, he had not shifted yet, probably trying to show the Werewolf girl that he didn’t need to bring out the wolf to take her down. Hyukjae smirked, cocky little bastard. Well not little but yeah, he was hell’a fine.

“Oh my goodness this one over here is in so much heat someone please bed him.” A random stout girl scowled at Hyukjae and moved away from him. Hyukjae was left gapping as several of them laughed.

Oh right, how could he forget, no mind-readers were needed, they were all equipped with strong senses, so being able to detect someone in heat was no big deal. That could be told from miles away actually. He cast as intimidating glare as he could muster as he tried to bury the embarrassment, the shifters around him suddenly fell quiet and he turned back to watch Donghae, glad that Kyuhyun was not around.

A loud growl made him whip his head back to where donghae was flipping the girl off of his back and pouncing on her. When had Donghae even shed his shirt, hyukjae thought as he slowly at his lips, watching those biceps flex and tense, shoulder blades moving under that smooth skin that seemed like it would feel great against-

“Snap out of it.”

Hyukjae might have shrieked a bit just then, whipping around to glare at a cheerful Sungmin “Stop appearing out of nowhere!”

“Stop getting hot over my cousin.” Sungmin retorted smoothly, flopping down onto the grass, legs crossed.

“I was not getting—“

“Don’t bother, besides my cousin probably felt it too” Hyukjae cast an apprehensive glance at donghae, the boy was swinging punches with an enthusiastic grin on his face. He seemed so focused ( and hot) Hyukjae considered it safe to believe Donghae had not felt it at all besides he already was in the heat of fighting.

“ Now tell me did you start taking the syrum?” Sungmin’s playful expressions turned serious and Hyukjae sat down by his side, nodding “Leeteuk hyung already handed me a vessel earlier than you did, as you said I’m going to take three doses a day.”

“Good boy.”

“But if this thing contains some brain-controlling , I will skin you alive.”

“Noted. Thanks for letting me know beforehand.”

“Sure thing.” Hyukjae grinned widely, returning his gaze to where donghae was now pinning down the girl. Some shifters began to hoot and shout encouragements while Werewolves were howling to buck-up Sooyoung. The atmosphere was friendly mainly, which was important, they were all going to battle soon against a common enemy, a strong notorious enemy; they needed all the friends they could get.

“Can I ask a question?” he tilted his head to Sungmin, eyes trained on donghae “You just did.” He mumbled, chortling as Sungmin bumped is shoulder with his “I’m taking that as a yes, it’s a- well, what is Donghae to you?”

Hyukjae eyes slowly travelled from Donghae to a wide-eyed Sungmin, he sighed and shook his head, a small smile on his lips “I can’t answer that yet hyung. I truly can’t say. We are just in a…recovering process I guess.” He shrugged and Sungmin pursed his lips “Right, of course, I can’t expect things between you two to be lovely dovey and perfect in an instant-“

“Hey, I love how you care for him so much Min-hyung, you know that right? And since I agreed on giving him a chance after he came back for me, I’m sticking around for the while.”

“For the while?” sungmin’s brows scrunched worriedly.

Hyukjae flashed him a reassuring grin “ You worry too much. Don’t. I’m hoping things will work out…somehow.” He averted his gaze. Sungmin placed a hand on his “Donghae’s changed man, you changed him, don’t forget that.”

“I won’t.” Hyukjae nodded

 

The sparring carried on till late in the evening, the palace was buzzing with energy, battle plans being formed, and introductions being made. Hyukjae had finally gotten introduced to-along with the rest of the shifters- to the leader of the Fae named Heechul and the Queen of Elfs named Tiffany. It was a formal gathering soon after which dinner was served. Donghae had to admit, for rough-looking Werewolves they sure knew how to treat Royalty. He spotted Hyukjae on one of the not-yet occupied tables, the whole the two had not been able to get hold of each other and then he recalled something interesting he had heard this morning, smirking he prowled forth, placing his plate on the table a little too loudly. Hyukjae, startled glanced up “Oh, it’s you.”

“Disappointed?” donghae cocked his head

“Very.” Hyukjae returned smoothly, returning to digging into the plate full of meat “I heard you were in heat this morning.” And then he was spluttering and choking over his food, feeling flustered and glaring at a smirking Donghae “Damnit Donghae I’m eating.”

“Do you need any help with that?”

“No, I can eat just fine by my own, thanks.”

“I meant help with the heat.”

“Lee Donghae!” Hyukjae grumbled a warning, causing donghae to burst out cackling deviously, that reduced the frown on Hyukjae’s face considerably.

“I th-thought you didn’t hear, you seemed so focused.” Hyukjae managed after a while, feeling his face cool down a bit.

Donghae sniggered, playing around with his food “That girl was indeed loud, but I didn’t have to hear anything, I could feel it.”

Hyukjae raised a brow but said nothing.

“Everytime Hyukjae.” Donghae’s now serious tone made him look up, his gaze met a pair of intense brown eyes “I’m not making it up or trying to do anything but it’s a fact that everytime- and it’s gotten more frequent than before- I can feel your emotions, I can feel you. When I got tackled down by sooyoung I was distracted because, I felt this need to look away from her and when I did I spotted you entering, it’s like I’m drawn to you. From your presence, absence to your emotions…even when you get .”

Donghae had a sheepish but adorable smile on his face, Hyukjae just stared a bit before shaking his head, scoffing lightly

“So I’m like a magnet for you, huh.” Hyukjae commented, eyes wandering all over his plate. This guy…

“More than a magnet…it’s a bond-“

“Hae…”

“Sorry, did I say too much?”

Hyukjae gazed at him fondly “No, it’s just-“

“Donghae!” Interrupted, he turned to witness Sungmin waving at them over by the entrance door of the large hall.

“I’ll be right back.” Donghae was quick to get up but Hyukjae surprised him by tugging at his sleeve, pecking him on his cheek before letting him go.

Donghae’s heart still got eratic when Hyukjae did little things like that.

--

“Most of us are taking the syrum.” Sungmin passed on a vessel full of blue liquid “So will you, just in case things go bad and-“

“Hyung why would-“

“We can’t deny that Gain and Joon will indeed go demon mode and when they do…” sungmin trailed off, a hard look on his face “I don’t want things to go to that extent, we need to take them out before they consider us a large enough threat to morph into giant beasts.”

“Then this is good right Hyung?” Donghae tilted his head a bit, the gleam in Donghae’s eyes  puzzled Sungmin a bit, Donghae grinned

 “ Let’s allow them to not consider us a large enough threat, them underestimating us would be the greatest and last mistake they will ever make.”

In that instant Donghae’s oozed such confidence and solidity that Sungmin was pretty much impressed. Donghae meanwhile popped open the vessels cap and muttered “ Bottoms up” and gulped it all down.

“Don’t you dare make the same mistake as them, then.” Sungmin managed to grumble, shaking his head as Donghae winked and brushed past.

 

“Cocky bastard.”