i

Strayed

In a world where Humans reigned, it was difficult for other species to co-exist. Humans had this tendency of wanting to take over whatever atch of land they could reach and have the last say in the matters of universe. Animals were quickly going extinct and Humans did not mind, they were the ones calling the shots. It was even more difficult to survive for being that were only half-human and had the ability to change their forms into different animals, from wolves to horses, it was a part of their genetic make-up. For people like Hyukjae. Over the years he had witnessed a somewhat favourable change, a certain change in human government allowed for these-as they liked to refer to them- shape-shifters as civilians, second-hand civilian. These words would be published on their ID cards. This meant the shifter did not need to live their lives as beggars would. They could now own homes, jobs and have access to facilities humans could. Then again, it was not perfect, life did not suddenly become full of joy, discriminations carried on. The underlying tension in the air was undeniable.

Hyukjae had felt it coming, by the time he left his small house located on the edge of the large city and was half-way down the main street, the sky had turned a pale yellow-grey. He saw several people rush past him, throwing anxious glances at the sudden change from a sunny day to a potential stormy noon. Hyukjae snorted mentally, one of the perks of being a half-wolf, half-human, he could forecast weather changes, unlike humans who needed forecast reports on news. Simply covering his tossled mop of wine-red hair with the hoodie of his rain coat he progressed forth to his destination for the day.

--

“Name?”

“Lee Hyukjae”

“You say you lost your ID card in a fight?”

Hyukjae sighed silently, raising his voice just enough for the irritable man behind the counter to hear, replying in a clipped tone “If you must know, I ended up getting caught between a cross-fire, it was a bit of a scuffle, by the time I was able to get out I realized my card was missing.”

“Huh” the man muttered under his breathe, eyes focused down as his fingers robotically moved over a keyboard, head shaking in disapproval “you shifter lot are so reckless, living like the animals you are.”

Hyukjae clenched his jaw, but said nothing. Instead he chose to look away as the man continued muttering degrading words for his kind under his breathe. It was the same over and over. He hated being labeled as second class citizen, he hated it more how he could do nothing about it. Back in the years when he was younger ,he had felt a fiery passion to change things, to be declared an equal citizen, equal to human beings. Over the years, however, he had lost his passion on his way of growing up, he chose passivity. Of course once a couple of jerks got on his nerves he would lash out and rely a strong message back in their faces with solid punches. Other than that, Hyukjae chose to live by himself, sticking to his own business.

Away from all sorts of human propaganda against his ‘kind’. Away from all political and social movements going on within his ‘kind’.

Humans referred to them as ‘shifters’ or ‘shape-shifters’ also known as second class citizens. Hyukjae was snapped out of his daze once a new ID card was slapped on the counter infront of him. He picked it up, brows furrowing at the prominent “Second class citizen” written in bold right under his name.

He still could not get used to it. He guessed he never would.  In his mind, it was not them, the shifters, who were the odd ones out. It was infact the humans that were lacking, lacking in so many things, not even being able to tell potential changes of weather. In his books the humans were the real second-class citizens around, he kept these venomous thoughts to himself he also knew no real good would result out of it, he could see himself exploding one day.

He just needed to hold it in longer

 As he made his way out the government office the wind was whipping around fingers of humans dashing across streets, looking for shelter. His own coat lashed and flailed abruptly having to stop as the light went green, cars zoomed ahead and someone stumbled into him from behind.

“Uh sorry, sorry, really sorry!” was the frantic stuttering and as Hyukjae turned around to say it was fine since no harm was done at all, his words halted half-way before continuing again. The young man-who was still sprouting apologies- had a different glow in his eyes. A light blue circle bordering his otherwise brown eyes. That was different even for shifters, the youngman hastily walked by him and Hyukjae almost reached out to stop him because the fool was going to walk into  flowing traffic, that is till he realized the light had gone red for the cars. He joined the crowd, eyes darting, nostrils flaring but neither did he spot or scent that young man any more, one second he was there sprouting apologies the next he disappeared somewhere within the sea of bodies.

That night Hyukjae slept a restless sleep, waking up several times in the middle of the night, whenever the sky would flash lights down accompanied by the rumbling thunders.

 

What troubled him more was, everytime he got roused up the face of that stranger would be lingering in his mind.