Bittersweet

Walk Next To Me

Love is …………………………….. YOU.

 

Hyukjae rubbed his palms together for the umpteenth time. His palms were cold but beads of pespiration were trickling downs this forehead. His stomach were full of butterflies and his throat and lips felt dry.

‘Aish, why am I so nervous, its not my first time doing this.’

Sudden warmth circled him from behind and wrapped itself around his waist. Hyukjae squeezed the pair of hands that just landed on his tummy.

“Hyukkie, you will be great.” That voice. That soothing and comforting voice was all that he needed to hear to calm him down. He did not have to turn to see to know who was hugging him from behind.

“Thank you for being here with me.” He let out a huge breath that instantly cleared all the butterflies in his stomach.

“Where are the rest of the boys?” he asked.

“Back there.” Hyukjae said pointing to the direction of the backstage area. “Luhan is in the bathroom though. Its his fifth visit for the past hour. I think he must be really nervous.” Hyukjae chuckled.

Hyukjae released himself from the warm grasp and turned to face the person whom he had madly fallen in love with. What is it about this person that made him so irresistible? It is not because he is good looking. He is kind and thoughtful and often full of surprises. His mind was child like and that what makes him different.

His sincere smile had the power to warm even the coldest heart such as Hyukjae’s. Hyukjae had never imagined loving someone this much, even more than himself. Why does he care about this person more than himself? Is this love?

“Aren’t you going to go down to sit in the audience seating?”

“Nope, I want to be here. I want to be the first person to congratulate you.” he beamed.

Hyukjae grinned with delight. It is impossible to not love this angel face. “How do you know I will win?”

“Because you are the best dancer here!” Donghae exclaimed and poked Hyukjae’s nose lightly.

“Hmm….only here?”

“Oh ok, best dancer in the universe!” Donghae exclaimed happily.

The dance competition was opened to everyone from aged 12 to 35 years. This was the first time the organisers had allowed an adult to perform together with a group of teenagers. In previous years, only 12 to 15 year olds can participate and Hyukjae had successfully lead a team of dancers to victory for the past 2 years. Of course there was pressure on the boys and him as defending champions to win again this year but Hyukjae had prepare the boys to do their best but at the same time, to accept whatever the judges decide. However, since it was going to be his last time leading the dancers from the school, he was determined to win it again so that he can leave with sweet memories of the win.

The stage lights were blinding from where Hyukjae was standing. He was standing behind the stage curtains, with the rest of the boys. Their turn was next. Hyukjae was nervous but he tried not to show too much of it to the boys. They were all gathered there, holding hands with each other as a form of emotional and moral support. Throughout the past 8 months they have been training together on a weekly basis, on top of their regular school work. It has not been the smoothest journey for some, but they overcame it all. Dance is their passion and their passion had taught them discipline and perseverance.

Hyukjae turned to Luhan, who was evidently the most timid in the group. He was shaking his legs and pacing up and down at the side. Tao who saw this, strolled to him and rested his right arm on Luhan shoulders.

“It will be ok.” He comforted. Luhan simply nodded. In such a nerve wrecking time, heart warming moments tend to appear. That is the joy of teaching.

‘I will miss these boys.’ Hyukjae thought sadly.

The start of Suit and Tie by Justin Timberlake started to play and the whole auditorium was vibrated by claps and cheers from the audience.

 “All right, boys, let’s do this!” Hyukjae announced, before leading the team on to the stage.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

‘Look at my Hyukkie so handsome in suit and tie. He looks so cool. How can anyone resist him?’ Donghae thoughts were flooding his mind as he watched the boys’ standing on stage waiting for the results to be announced. He was just as nervous as the boys. He knew how much this win would mean to Hyukjae. He cannot bear to think how Hyukjae would feel if he did not win it this time, since it was his last competition with the school.

Apart from the dancers themselves, the organisers allowed one more accompanying adult to be at the backstage area. It was no brainer who Hyukjae would choose to be with them.

In his hands was a small bouquet of a mix of orange roses and vibrant sunflowers he had carefully selected before the event. He had successfully hid them from Hyukjae before he goes on stage. Donghae digged his hands into his pocket searching for the round metal thing that he had brought along without Hyukjae’s knowledge.

“Ah, thank God, its still here.” He mumbled. He was worried that he might lose it, since it was small.

‘Can’t wait to see the look on his face when I give him this.’  He thought as he continued to watch the love of his life in dashing suit and tie on stage.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Donghae tapped his feet impatiently. He glanced at his watch again. ‘Where is Hyukjae?’

An hour had passed since they announced the results. As anticipated, Hyukjae had successfully brought the team to victory once again. He was so touched and overwhelmed with emotions that he teared when he gave his thank you speech.

Watching him tear on stage made Donghae teared too. He was so proud of him. It was his last performance with the boys from the school so this win was bittersweet. As they left the stage happily congratulating and hugging each other, Donghae managed to pull him into his embrace and hugged him tightly the minute they were off stage. They were both so emotional that they stayed in each other’s arms for a good few minutes.

The press was all hyped up too, since it was the school’s third consecutive win. What they do not know, is that it will Hyukjae’s final year as the dance coach. Mr Park had reminded them to keep it hush since he does not want any unnecessary attention to the school. Even the students were not aware of this. Hyukjae was going to announce it them tomorrow when they go for their celebration dinner with their boys’ parents.

‘What could be taking him so long?!’ Donghae grumbled to himself. He had been standing in the park waiting for Hyukjae for what seems like ages to him. Hyukjae had to make sure all the boys were safely dismissed before he could go off and to protect Donghae’s job, he had requested for Donghae to go off first and wait for him in the park, to prevent any misunderstandings.

“Fish!!”

Donghae turned to see Hyukjae running hurried towards his direction. He was still in his performance outfit of suit and tie.

“Hyukkie! What took you so long?” Donghae pouted as soon as he gave a big welcoming hug.

“You know, parents. They have lots of questions and of course all the photo taking. It was taking ages.” Hyukjae said while still trying to catch his breath. “But all I could think about was you waiting for me here.”

Donghae blushed. ‘How does he manage to make me blush so easily?’

“Let’s sit on the swings here.” Donghae suggested. This was their favourite place to hang out. The slides, the swing and the merry go round, this was a good place to remind themselves of their happy childhood. The playground was usually bustling with children in the day but at night, it was lonely.

“Did you see Noona just now?” Hyukjae suddenly asked.

Donghae shook his head. “My eyes were only on you.”

“Hey! Where did you learn to be so cheesy?” Hyukjae laughed, surprise by Donghae’s answer.

“From you.”

Hyukjae smiled at his Fish. “Anyway. She came with Gary hyung!”

“So?”

“Aish! They came together and I was pretty sure I saw them walking out holding hands!”

“Are you sure you are not blinded by all the lights on the stage just now?” Donghae asked, not convinced by what Hyukjae saw.

“I am sure! I really saw them! I wanted to look for them after the event was over but I was too caught up with the boys.”

“Hmmm…oh well, even if they ARE together, isn’t that great? We won’t have to play Cupid anymore. Anyway, we kinda at it.” Donghae muttered.

“True. I guess, some things are better left alone. Let nature take its own course.”

Donghae cleared his throat. “Hyukkie ah….” ‘Ok, now is the time to ask the question.’

“Fish! Guess what!” Hyukjae suddenly exclaimed and interrupted Donghae. Donghae was startled. He quickly placed his hands in the pocket again, to make sure his precious gift did not drop out.

“I got a new job!” Hyukjae beamed happily.

“What? That is so great Hyukkie, I am so happy for you! What job is it?”

“Choreographer! Donghae ah, SM Entertainment just recruited me as their choreographer!”

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That's it! Sobs! I am tearing as I write the last chapter to this story. I really cannot believe I wrote 40 chapters of fanfic and update it almost on a daily basis! Seriously. Its all thanks to you. Your comments, questions, frustrations kekekeke....it gave me more inspiration to write and motivation to update it more often. As a gift, i decided to present you with a ..................sequel! Its called 'Lean on me' ! However, it will not be as long as this story, I am not sure, shall see where and when my inspiration stop. Hehehe...

Again, if you have not read my first fanfic titled First Time, please click here. Its a one shot and will only take you a few minutes to read it. If you can finish reading 40 chapters of this fic, you most definitely can read that one shot! Haha.

If you decide not subscribe to the sequel (in case I annoy you too much with my cliffhangers lol), its fine too, but I will miss you! Haha. I really appreciate all your presence and comments here! Thank you so much! Muacks!