Playing Cupid

Walk Next To Me

Love is……………………..…… when I do not know why I am drawn to you.

 

Donghae was flabbergasted. Did he say something wrong? What wrong did he do now? The 2 pairs of eyes were staring straight into his soul.

“Why would you think that?” Ryeowook shouted while stomping his feet. He was frowning in anger and barging towards Donghae. Donghae was frozen, he wanted to take a step back but he was cornered by Hyukjae too.

He stole a glance at Hyukjae who was giving also impatiently waiting for his reply.

“Err….you mean, you are not gay?” Donghae laughed nervously.

“No!! We are roommates but we are close like brothers! Can’t you tell the difference?!” Ryeowook was still yelling.

“Yah Wookie! Calm down. Fish here is not from Seoul, perhaps he thinks differently from us.” Hyukjae interrupted.

‘Aishh!! Wait, is that what it seems like? Is that why I am still single?” Ryeowook asked out of the sudden.

The door opened and Sungmin walked in, earning the looks of the 3 guys. Seeing the intense stare, Sungmin sensed something was not quite right.

“What? Do I have something on my face?”

Hyukjae pulled Ryeowook’s shirt towards him and whispered into Ryeowook, “Don’t tell him, he is still broken hearted from his recent break up. Plus, he knows martial art.”

Ryeowook nodded. He turned to the blur Donghae and hissed at him, “We shall settle this later!”

“Let’s eat!” Ryeowook announced cheerfully as soon as he turned his back on Donghae.

They sat around the dining table. Donghae sat next to Hyukjae and sitting across him was the starving Sungmin who wasted no time in digging into the food spread on the table.

“Wookie, you cooked all these by yourself?” Hyukjae asked.

“Yup! I love cooking! Its therapeutic!” Ryeowook exclaimed. Donghae thought it was weird that Ryeowook was his cheerful self when he talks to others but turned ice cold whenever their eyes met.

‘He must still be mad at me for thinking that he is gay.’ Donghae thought.

“Donghae ah, how is Seoul so far. Is everything going well? What happen to your ankle by the way?”Sungmin started the conversation. It was obvious that he was the eldest at the dinner. He was calm and collected, very different from the few days ago where he was dead drunk.

“Yes everything is good….”Donghae answered sheepishly. “I am just clumsy by nature so I tend to injure myself a lot.”

“True, he has been getting into accidents almost every day.” Hyukjae added.

Sungmin chuckled. “Oh dear. It looks pretty bad, be more careful next time.”

Donghae nodded.

During the dinner, Donghae found out that Sungmin and Ryeowook were colleagues. They worked in the same office but Sungmin teaches martial arts to kids on a part time basis. Sungmin was born in the same year as Donghae but since he was born a few months earlier, Donghae decided to call him hyung (elder brother) out of respect.

Ryeowook was a year younger than Donghae. He enjoys cooking and tends to talk about food most of the time. If Donghae had not known any better, he would have thought that there was a 40 year old ahjumma (auntie) stuck in Ryeowook’s 29 year old body.

They were eating quietly for a few minutes before Sungmin broke the silence again.

“Hyukkie, erm…..” Sungmin coughed. He wanted to ask but he seemed slightly nervous.

Hyukjae looked up from his bowl of rice. “Yes, hyung?”

“Are you ok now? You know, since……….if you ever need help knowing more girls let me know!”

Hyukjae smiled, touched by the concerns shown by Sungmin. They have been friends since they were 18 years old and after more than a decade of friendship, he still finds it absurd why girls do not stick around Sungmin. He was one of the kindest and sweetest person ever, plus he is very disciplined and has high work ethics. If Hyukjae was girl, he would have grabbed Sungmin as his boyfriend a long time ago.

“I am fine, thanks. I have been pretty busy with dance practice so I guess it helps me to forget some unpleasant things.” Hyukjae continued smiling weakly.

“I still think you start dating girls. Cooping yourself up in that dance studio is not going to help you move on. I can introduce you to some girls if you want.” Sungmin advised the younger one.

“Right hyung! In fact if you do not go get yourself a girl, SOME people may think you are gay too!” Ryeowook added while glaring at Donghae. It was obvious that the statement was meant for Donghae.

Donghae bowed down in embarrassment.

Hyukjae laughed. “I shall let nature takes it course. I do not think I am ready for girls yet, really. Don’t worry about me.”

“Sorry man, I did not know what you went through, but I am here for you.” Donghae said while patting Hyukjae’s back.

“Thanks Fish.”

“Anyway, I know of a nice place to hang out. Noona Jihyo brought be there a few days ago.” Donghae suddenly suggested.

“Where is it?” Sungmin asked.

“Its pretty near here. I can bring you there. Why don’t we go there tomorrow? Its Saturday anyway.” Donghae answered. He realized that he does not have many friends here in Seoul so he might as well appreciate the new friends he just met.

“I can’t, I promise my younger brother that I will go cycling with him tomorrow.” Sungmin refused the offer.

“Me too. I am supposed to go home to visit my parents tomorrow.” Ryeowook turned to Donghae, “They live in Incheon.”

“Oh….” Donghae was only left with Hyukjae. He looked at Hyukjae with pleading puppy eyes.

“Yah! Stop that!” Hyukjae yelled.

“Come on Hyukkie, they sell the best mango bingsoo! My treat!” Donghae claimed excitedly.

“You should stay home and rest with this ankle.” Hyukjae answered coldly.

Donghae pouted. “Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee………………………I do not know that many people here.”

In a flash, Hyukjae smacked the back of Donghae’s head. “Yah! Stop acting cute!”

“I am not acting…..” Donghae muttered, still pouting away.

“Aish!! Stop pouting! Fine fine…I will go with you but I am eating as much dessert as I can and you are paying for them!” Hyukjae finally gave it. He could not stand seeing Donghae pouting away. He did look cute that it was hard to say no to such a cute face.

“Woah.. ..you two. Like couple fighting.” Ryeowook giggled.

Donghae beamed happily.

‘I have a date for Saturday.’ He said in his heart.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Yah Fish! You made me pick you up and now you are making me wait?!” Hyukjae yelled in disbelief from the living room. Hyukjae had been waiting for 25 minutes for Donghae to get ready. He was pacing up and down the living room. What could be taking Donghae so long?

“Yah Fish!! Are you wearing make-up or something?!” Hyukjae yelled again.

“Be patient! I am almost done!” Donghae yelled back from his room.

It was slightly past 3 pm. Before they parted their ways from last night’s dinner, they had agreed to meet after lunch. Donghae did not want to reveal the place that they are going, partly because he wanted Hyukjae to stop by his apartment so that they can go together. He was not being mean, but he needed company since he was still slightly limping. The swell n his ankle had subsided, but it was still painful when he fully place his feet on the floor.

Donghae opened the door to this bedroom and started hopping out of his room. Seeing his hopping friend, Hyukjae yelled, “Yah! Hurry up! You made me wait for so long!”

Donghae grinned. He was too happy to argue with Hyukjae.

“Stop getting so worked up, I am giving you a treat remember? I am ready, let’s go.” He said calmly.

“I really do not know why I agreed to this in the first place…..”Hyukjae mumbled.

“What?”

“Nothing. Walk next to me, I don’t want you to going off somewhere or falling down for no reason!” Hyukjae instructed the smiling Donghae.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“We are here!” Donghae announced excitedly with his arms in the air.

Hyukjae was expressionless. “Mouse Rabbit? This was mystery place?!”

“Well, yes, this is the only café I know.”

“You are dumb Fish. Let’s go.” Hyukjae replied as he pulled Donghae with him into the café.

The place was crowded. There were ladies at every table and everyone was chatting happily. Hyukjae and Donghae were looking for seats when they spotted a familiar face at a table situated at the far corner of the café.

“Its Noona!” both of the exclaimed at the same time. They hurriedly walked over to the table.

“Anneong Noona!” Donghae greeted excitedly. For some reason, he was feeling extremely happy today.

Jihyo was reading intensely when out of a sudden saw two shadows casted on her book. Jihyo looked up from her book to see 2 guys hovering near her table.

“What are you doing here?” she asked, still shocked by the sudden presence of her two colleagues.

“Fish wanted to stop by here and I was tricked to coming here.” Hyukjae answered sarcastically.

“Can we sit here at this table? Are you with anyone?” Donghae asked Jihyo, ignoring Hyukjae’s sarcastic reply.

“Of course you can sit here! Sit!’ Jihyo offered. A part of her was glad to see the two familiar faces.

“How long have you been here Noona?” Hyukjae asked.

“Erm…a few hours…I usually come here on weekend to just chill.” Jihyo stuttered.

Donghae was wondering why Jihyo seemed nervous. He then recalled the incident from a few days ago.

“Don’t tell me you are here to see the eligible bachelor?” Donghae asked suspiciously.

Jihyo’s eyes widened and she was shocked. “Donghae ah! Ssshhhh!”

Donghae’s raised his eyebrows, “What are you REALLY doing here Noona?”

Jihyo was busted. “All right! Yes, I am here to SEE him ok! I just want to see his face. Is that so wrong?”

“But Noona, if you like him, you should tell him,” Donghae advised.

“Are you kidding? I am invisible to him, I am just a customer here.”

“A customer in love with the handsome prince.” Donghae chuckled.

Jihyo blushed. She was embarrassed getting teased by Donghae like that.

“What is going on?” Hyukjae asked. Confusion was all over his face.

“Noona here is in love the owner. See that guy behind the counter? That is Kim Jongwoon, the owner of this café. Apparently he was voted as one of Seoul’s eligible bachelors and has somehow managed to sweep Noona off her feet.” Donghae explained to Hyukjae.

“He looks normal to me, not that handsome, but he does look pretty cool. Didn’t know he was Noona’s type. ” Hyukjae replied, his eyes still fixed on the guy behind the counter.

Jihyo rolled her eyes. “Can we please stop talking about this?”

“Shall we do something to help Noona?” Donghae asked cheekily. A smile spread across his face.

“Hmm…what do you have in mind?”

“2 words. Love note.” Donghae answered.

“Brilliant.” Hyukjae agreed.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi everyone! Sorry it took so long to bring Yesung back in the story! Hahaa..he is my bias by the way can you tell? Lol. I love eunhae kids too so do look out for more eunhae moments in the next few chapters! New subcribers, welcome! Do drop a comment! :D