What love feels like

Walk Next To Me

Love is …………………… never wanting to be separated from you.

 

Donghae woke up from his peaceful sleep before the alarm rang. ‘Its Tuesday. I have to go to work today!’

He removed the blanket and sat on the bed. He had never been happier, the memories from yesterday was still lingering in his mind and making his heart flutter. He caught himself smiling at random times of the night, thinking about Hyukjae’s sweet confession.

‘I must be the luckiest person in the world.’

He eyes wandered around the room looking for Hyukjae. ‘Oh, that’s right, he decided to go home.’

Hyukjae claimed that it would be too ‘distracting’ staying under one roof with Donghae. Donghae was disappointed at first but he realized that it was for the best. They would meet in school anyway, so its not like they were not seeing each other at all. He jumped out of bed and headed to the showers. Even though he has always been passionate about his job, he had never been this excited to go to work. The thought of seeing Hyukjae again was enough to make him feel all jittery and buttery inside. Is this what love feels like?

Donghae was walking so fast to school, he was almost skipping. He wanted to be in school early to welcome Hyukjae.

“Donghae, you are here.” said the counter lady at the office. It was a routine to stop by the school office to report their presence daily. “Mr Park wants to see you now.”

“Mr Park is already here?”

“Yes. Please go in now? They have been waiting for you.”

“They?”

Looking a little annoyed, she replied. “Yes please just go in now.”

‘What could Mr Park want to see me about?’ Donghae wondered.

Knock. Knock.

“Come in.” A voice was heard from inside.

Donghae stepped into Mr Park’s office and to his surprise, Hyukjae was there too. He searched Hyukjae’s face for answers but Hyukjae was looking down, expressionless.

“You wanted to see me, Mr Park?” he asked.

“Yes, Donghae, please sit down here next to Hyukjae.”

Mr Park Jungsoo heaved a loud sigh. The atmosphere in the room was so tense that Donghae could almost hear everyone’s nervous breathing.

“I am so sorry that I have to break this news to you like this, especially to you Donghae, considering that you are still new to our school.” Mr Park started.

‘Oh dear, what is wrong?!’ Donghae’s mind was filled with screaming questions.

“Before I proceed, let me ask you a serious question. You have to answer it honestly ok?” Mr Park continued turning to face Donghae.

The worried Donghae nodded nervously.

“Are you and Hyukjae an item? As in, are you seeing each other, like a couple?” he asked.

‘Oh my God, how did Mr Park found out about us?’

Donghae turned to Hyukjae who was sitting next to him in panic. Hyukjae nodded and gave him and assuring look.

“Its ok Donghae, just tell Mr Park the truth.” Hyukjae said gently while squeezing Donghae’s right hand lightly.

“Yes.” Donghae bowed. “Are we going to be in trouble?”

Mr Park heaved another loud sigh. “I knew about this. Thank you for being honest with me, both of you. This is the first time I am encountering something like this. I have to approach this problem with much tact.”

Donghae panicked, “How did you know about this?”

“Remember the flash? Someone took pics of us holding hands and sent it to the school.”  Hyukjae explained.

‘Who would do that?’

“This person is threatening to call the media. Our school’s reputation will be tarnished if I am not careful.” Mr Park explained further in a really solemn tone. It was obvious that he was upset about this too.

“Based on one photo?!” Donghae exclaimed.

“There are many photos Fish. Apparently, we have been followed. All our times together have been documented by this person.” Hyukjae said.

“Oh dear, who did this? A parent?!”

“Its Ji Eun.”

“I am sorry guys. But she is threatening to call the media on this. As you know the society look up to our profession and we are expected to be the role models for students. Any homouality relationship is not just frowned upon, its catastrophic.”

“She gave me two choices, either I dismiss Hyukjae or she calls the media.” Mr Park explained further. “I have to put the school’s reputation first; I am left with no choice.”

“She did what?!” Donghae shrieked.

“Its ok, Mr Park. I understand. I do not blame you at all.” Hyukjae muttered.

“This is difficult for me too, I really hate this because I know how talented Hyukjae is and what a wonderful dance coach he has been for the boys.” Mr Park sighed and turned to Donghae. “I have nothing against your relationship because that is your personal life, but you should have been more discreet.”

Donghae cursed himself. He was mad at himself, he was even more furious at Ji Eun. ‘That psychopath! Why can’t she leave Hyukjae alone?!’

“So…..” Donghae choked. “What do we do now?”

“Hyukjae shall leave after the competition on Saturday this week. Which mean, his last day here in school will be on Friday.” Mr Park turned to Hyukjae. “I am sorry Hyuk, I really cannot save you this time.”

“I am so sorry.” Donghae started to tear. “This is all my fault too.”

Hyukjae turned himself to face the crying Donghae. “Hey…….this is not your fault at all. This was meant to be. Perhaps its for the best? At least I can work in a new place, unknown to Ji Eun so that she can stop haunting my life.” Hyukjae took out a piece of tissue paper and placed it in Donghae’s palm.

“You two can leave now. You probably need some time to talk. I seriously hate to see this happening. I love you both as my staff.” Mr Park said.

“Sure. Thank you Mr Park….for everything that you have done for me.” Hyukjae said while standing up, pulling the weeping Donghae up from his seat as well.

As soon as they stepped out of Mr Park’s office, Hyukjae started wiping Donghae’s tears off his cheeks with his own sleeves.

“That is enough, let’s go up to the studio so we can talk. Do you have some time?” Hyukjae’s voice was gentle and full of concern.

Donghae nodded, still unable to stop his tears from falling.

They took their heavy steps forward with much struggle and walked to the studio. They were both silent, not knowing what to say. Hyukjae was more saddened looking at Donghae, than hearing the news that he had just lost his job. This was the first time he sees someone shedding so much tears for him, he was truly touched.

He just wished Donghae would stop crying because, inside, he was hurting too seeing Donghae like that.

“Donghae ah, walk next to me, I cannot see you when you follow me from behind.” Hyukjae instructed as he turned his back to tell Donghae. As soon as Donghae was next to him, Hyukjae held Donghae’s arms, “I want to be able to always see you, promise me you will always be by my side and walk next to me.”

Donghae nodded solemly.

“Let’s sit.” Hyukjae suggested when they arrived at the familiar dance studio. He had spent the past 3 years here, and he had enjoyed every minute of it. Dance was his passion and working with kids was his other passion. He had never imagined being able to combined both his passions and earn a living with it. He was always thankful to Mr Park for giving him this rare opportunity to do what he loves.

“Hyukkie…..” Donghae sob. “I really do not want this to happen. Why don’t I persuade Mr Park to let me go instead? I am still new here, I have yet to bond with everyone as deeply as you.”

“Don’t be stupid! Look, we can do this together ok? We can still meet outside and I can always stop by your place to annoy you? Remember? Please don’t cry.”

“But….I am partly to blame too….this is all my fault…..” Donghae continued sobbing.

Hyukjae grabbed Donghae’s arms lightly. “Hey…..it was never your fault. Don’t you ever think that way. Ji Eun was going to find a way to destroy me anyway. At least now, I have you.”

Donghae took a deep breath and wipe away his wet cheeks. “We only have 4 days right? I am going to make sure we spent our time in school together all the time!”

Hyukjae chuckled. Even as his crying self, Donghae looked adorable like an innocent young boy. “Of course dear. Now, I have to focus on the competition. Promise me you will be with me all the way and promise me you will stop crying? I cannot bear to see you cry anymore.”

“I promise.” 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Haizz...I am sad to write this chapter but I am even sadder that the next chapter will be the last! I know I have mentioned that I will end it all at Chapter 40, but a sudden inspiration just popped into my head for a ......................sequel! Actually, I had intended to start a brand new story starring Eunhae too but now I am not sure whether to write a sequel or start a new story altogether. I would love to write both at the same time but I doubt I will have the time to do it all. Do let me know what you think!! Pali Pali! 

Thank you to all who upvoted and if you have enjoyed the story, do upvote this story to give me some 'pat on my back.' Kekeke...... Till next update loves!