Love bento

Walk Next To Me

Love is ………………………… doing stupid things for you I never imagined I would ever do.

 

“Tao!!! Wake up!! Wake up!!!” Donghae yelled while hitting Tao with a pillow. He has been trying to wake Tao up for the past 30 mins but failed. Tao was fast asleep and did not budge from his position at all.

“Wake up or I will pour a pail of water on you!”

Tao opened his eyes slightly to look at his teacher. “Why are you so noisy so early in the morning? Isn’t it the weekend?”

Donghae’s eyes widened in shock, “Its Tuesday!! We have to leave for school in 20 minutes time!”

Tao buried his head back under the pillow. Donghae decided that he has had enough and pulled Tao out of bed. Tao fell to the floor and groaned in pain.

“Toilet now!” Donghae shouted. The whole apartment was no longer the silent place it used to me.

Tao eventually stood up and dragged his feet to the bathroom grumbling.

“Aish! This kid! We are both going to be late!” Donghae could not help but complained to himself.

Ding Dong.

‘Who could it be so early in the morning?’ Donghae thought when he heard the doorbell rang. It was too early for guests. Donghae ran to the door and to his surprise it was Hyukjae and Ryeowook.

Ryeowook was yawning and looking irritated. He was still in his giraffe printed pajamas and his hair was uncombed. Meanwhile, standing next to him, was Hyukjae, in the same outfit as last night. He was flashing his brightly lit gummy smile.

 “Good morning. Did you have a good sleep?” Hyukjae asked, still flashing that inappropriately cheerful smile.

“What in the world??” Donghae muttered.

“Yah! He stayed with us last night! Can you please take him back, he is so annoying.” Ryeowook interrupted before Donghae could express his shock.

“Donghae wouldn’t let me spend the night here, that’s why.” Hyukjae nudged the sleepy Ryeowook.

“Whatever. Sungmin hyung is too nice, if he is not around; don’t expect me to take you in!” Ryeowook retorted.

“Hyukjae, why didn’t you go home last night?!” Donghae firmly asked Hyukjae.

“Errr…I was worried…about you…about the kid…..anyway here! Take this!” Hyukjae said while stretching out his arms to Donghae. It was a bento box.

“What is this?” Donghae asked.

“Open it!” Hyukjae exclaimed excitedly.

Donghae opened the lid of the box only to see beautifully decorated rice and side dishes. It even had grapes in it, all neatly arrangement and looking presentable. Donghae was speechless.

“Is it enough for you? This is lunch ok, so you need not walk to the cafeteria since you are still limping.” Hyukjae explained.

Donghae was touched. He looked up to Hyukjae, “You made this yourself?”

“No! I made it! He made me! He woke me up so early and made me do this!! !” Ryeowook interrupted again.

Hyukjae giggled. “I would have made it for you if I knew how to cook. I did decorate it made it look presentable and nice. Oh well, it’s the thought that counts right?” He nodded, hoping to influence Donghae to agree with him.

Donghae can’t help but laugh. He had to admit that Hyukjae was sweet and adorable, even though he was being a nuisance to Ryeowook.

“Thanks Ryeowookie, I am sure this is delicious. Sorry for all the trouble.”

“Its ok. I am only doing it because you are a nice person. Not because of him!” Ryeowook pointed to Hyukjae. “Good morning, I am going back to sleep now. See you Donghae.” He waved goodbye and walked back to this apartment.

“Yah!” Hyukjae yelled at Ryeowook. “What about me? No thank you greeting for me?”

“Go to work. I can’t believe what you did. I told you Heechul hyung is worried about you.”Donghae said.

“I texted him last night to inform him!”

Donghae let out a huge sigh. “Fine. Now please excuse me, I have to get ready to go to school.” He attempted to close the door but Hyukjae was quick enough to stop the door. He walked into the apartment casually.

“Yah! Did I invite you in? You have this habit of barging into people’s apartment you know that?” Donghae yelled.

“Just checking on Tao, where is he?”

“In the toilet, showering. Goodbye, I will see you tomorrow in school.” Donghae pushed Hyukjae to the door.

“Do you need me to walk next to you to school?” Hyukjae asked.

“What? No! Just because I am babysitting Tao, you do not have to babysit me! I am a grown adult for goodness sake! Bye…go go..” Donghae yelled, still trying to push Hyukjae out of the door.

“Ok, call me if he is any trouble to you.”

“Stop nagging!”

“Goodbye, don’t miss me today!” Hyukjae was cut off before he could finish his sentence. As soon as he was out of the apartment, Donghae quickly shut the door. Hyukjae was annoying this morning but nevertheless, his actions were sweet.

A wide grin spread across his face. He was happy.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

“Good morning Mr Lee.”

“Good morning Kai and Myungsoo.” Donghae greeted the students back. They had just arrived in school. As soon as they were at the school gate, Kai and Myungsoo ran towards him and Tao. They usually hang out together during breaks and even after school. Furthermore, they shared the same passion in dance and had spent countless hours together practicing in the dance studio. Naturally, they were close.

Tao looked at his teacher, as if asking for permission to go with his friends.

“Go on. I will meet you back here after school; we will go back to your place to get some of your stuffs and clothes.” Donghae instructed.

“Ok. Thanks.” Tao replied. The three boys dashed into the school. They arrived just in time. The bell was about to ring.

Donghae walked slowly to his classroom. The hallway was almost empty since everyone was supposed to be in class. His first class will only be at 9 am, which means he has an hour to himself to prepare for the day. This was his second week in this new environment; it has been an eventful first week of school.

As he was about to enter his classroom, he saw Jihyo stepping out of hers and walking towards him. She slightly startled to see Donghae in the hallway instead of in his classroom.

“Donghae ah…” Jihyo she mumbled. She looked worried and her sagging eye bags were too obvious to be hidden.

“Noona, you ok?? What is wrong?” Donghae asked. He was starting to worry too.

“Can we speak inside the classroom?” Jihyo suggested.

Donghae nodded and they made their way into the classroom.

As soon as they sat down, Jihyo asked, “Do you remember what happened in Mouse Rabbit that day? The one where you guys passed the note to Jongjin?”

“Yes?”

“Well….how shall I put it? After I packed my bag and left you guys, Jongjin ran after me.” Jihyo explained looking really bothered.

“What?!” Donghae burst. He almost spat out the gulp of water he just drank.

“He did! He told me he received that note from you guys and he was glad it happened.”

“Why?!” Donghae asked.

“He said………..he felt the same way……he noticed that I have been a regular patron of the café and that he had wanted to speak to me many times but did not had the chance. I told him that I am way older than him but he said he doesn’t mind at all.”

“Oh, that’s nice.”

Jihyo’s eyes widened at Donghae, “That is not nice!! Donghae ah, you know the note is not meant for him. He got it wrong! I did not know what to tell him. He asked me out for a movie date last weekend and I agreed because I wanted to tell him, but in the end I chickened out!”

“Ok, calm down. Hmm…its all that pabo Hyukjae’s fault. I am sure we can fix this.”Donghae assured. ‘How did things spiral out of control?’ he wondered.

“Ok! I have an idea. Let’s go and tell Jongjin at his café. He is there every day right? We can visit him tonight and tell him.” Donghae suggested.

“But,  I am too scared! What if he gets angry?”

“I will go with you Noona, don’t worry ok. But wait, I have to go back to Tao’s place for a while. I will meet you as soon as I sent him back to my place.”

“Why is Tao staying with you?” Jihyo asked.

“Long story. I will tell you later.”

“Ok, I see you later. Thanks Donghae, you are very sweet.” Jihyo smiled before leaving the classroom.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Beep. A message.

Jihyo:

Donghae, I will wait for you at the bus stop. I am already here. Take your time to walk slowly here.

 

Donghae had just reached home. He had spent the late afternoon at Tao’s place helping him pack some clothes and some books needed for school. Tao place was a small. It had one living room and one bedroom too, but it was so much smaller. The place was messy and there were opened cans of drinks in the living room. The floor was littered with pieces of newspapers and the shelves were full of dust. Even the sink in the kitchen was overwhelmed with unwashed plates and cups. Donghae spotted a few cockroaches playing hide and seek on the kitchen floor.

‘This place is not suitable for kids.’ Donghae thought.

“Where is your dad Tao?”

“Don’t know, don’t care.” He answered coldly.

Donghae sighed. With this kind of living condition, who would want to stay at home?

As Donghae watched Tao unpack his things in his own apartment, he could not help but feel sorry for Tao. He may seem like a rebellious teenager but Donghae felt that he was simply misunderstood.

“Are you comfortable here?” Donghae asked out of the blue.

Tao glanced at Donghae, his smiled weakly. “You saw my place. Do you think I am more comfortable here?”

Tao was right. His house was in a horrendous mess, who would feel comfortable living there? Donghae slowly walked to Tau and place his hand on Tao’s shoulder.

“Listen, I know I am your teacher in school and you may feel uncomfortable telling me some personal things, but we are not in school now so I hope that you will consider me as a friend when you are under this roof of mine.”

Tao smiled and nodded. “Thank you, I really appreciate it.”

“Ok, I bought food for you, its in the kitchen, you can heat it up later when you want to eat it.” Donghae announced.

“What about your food?” Tao asked.

“I have to attend to something important. I will be back soon. You can watch the tv after you have completed your homework ok. Go to bed at 10 pm. Even if I am not home, do not wait up.”

Tao laughed. “You are beginning to sound like the other Mr Lee.”

“What? You mean….Mr Lee Hyukjae?”

“Yes….” Tao answered still giggling away.

“Ehem…” Donghae cleared his throat. “We are both concerned about you that’s why! Ok,good night kiddo, see you later!”

Donghae hurriedly left his apartment. Was he just teased by his student? Why were his cheeks feeling hot? Was he blushing? ‘What is wrong with me blushing like a girl?’ he thought. He glanced at his watch and walked as quickly as he could.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Noona!” Donghae waved and called out to Jihyo who was sitting at the bus stop.

“Donghae ah….so sorry to trouble you. You are still limping, I feel so bad.”

The time was 20 minutes passed 7 pm. The sky was getting darker and people were rushing home from work. Jihyo had been sitting at the bus stop for the past 30 minutes, simply watching people board and alight from the buses that passed through.

“Its ok Noona, I said I will do this with you right?” Donghae assured Jihyo. He really hated seeing his friends in such agony. He preferred the cheerful Jihyo from a week ago.

“Thanks.”Jihyo muttered.

“Let’s go! Its getting cold here.” Donghae said and dragged her by the elbow to Mouse Rabbit.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Oh! He is not here, let’s go home!” Jihyo exclaimed as soon as they arrived at Mouse Rabbit. The place was crowded but the counter was managed by 2 young girls. Even Jongjin was nowhere to be found.

Donghae pulled Jihyo back into the café.

“We will order and we will wait here.” Donghae said firmly. Considering that Jihyo was not in the right mind, he felt like he was the older one out of the two of them.

Jihyo let out a huge sigh and rolled her eyes. They found a table at the side, near to the porch. It was the perfect table because they could view the counter from where they were sitting.

“I have no idea what I am doing by the way.” Jihyo uttered a sigh.

Frankly, Donghae had no idea too. He was not an expert in the affairs of the heart. He had no experience and he was just as clueless as Jihyo. However he felt that he needed to be around for her, as a good friend.

“Don’t worry.” Donghae assured.

The café suddenly became noisy and full of commotion. Donghae and Jihyo were taken aback and started to look around to see what the commotion was all about. As they were scanning the entire café, their eyes landed on the two souls who just entered Mouse Rabbit.

It was Jongwoon and Jongjin.

They could clearly hear the swoons from the ladies in the café. It was hard to ignore the two good looking guys who just stepped in. Jongjin saw Jihyo and waved frantically at her from the entrance. He then signaled her to wait where she was before walking over to behind the counter. Both Jihyo and Donghae waved back awkwardly.

Jongwoon who saw the entire scenario, smiled at Donghae and Jihyo. His smile was so mesmerizing that Jihyo froze in her seat. Jongwoon started walking. Closer. Closer. He seemed to be walking towards their table.

“Oh my God, is he coming here?!” Jihyo exclaimed.

“Calm down! You are making me panic too!” Donghae answered, he was equally flustered.

She was right. Jongwoon was walking straight towards them. Both Donghae and Jihyo could do nothing but stare at him. When he finally arrived at their table, he flashed a smile to both of them.

Both Jihyo and Donghae were too stunned to smile back.

“Excuse me, Jihyo-sshi?” Jongwoon said looking at Jihyo who was simply staring blankly at him.

“Yes! She is Jihyo…..sorry, she is not feeling well, that’s why she is not really responding.” Donghae explained. He wished his Noona would just snap out of it.

“May I sit here with the two of you?” Jongwoon asked politely.

Jihyo was still frozen. She was just staring at Jongwoon.

‘Aish! This Jihyo, what is wrong with her?’ Donghae thought to himself.

Donghae kicked Jihyo under the table. “Ouch!” Jihyo yelled. “Errr…of course…you can sit here…I guess…wow…”

“Noona, are you stuttering?”

“Ehem..” Jihyo cleared . “Erm no?”

Jongwoon widely grinned at both Donghae and Jihyo. “You two seemed like really nice people. I hope you are enjoying the food and the atmosphere here.”

“Yes we are, this place is great. I am Donghae and Jihyo here is my colleague.” Donghae said.

“Ahh…teachers, what a noble profession. I am always happy to see regular customers like you coming back here.”

“So you and your brother are here every day?” Donghae asked.

“Yes, and sometimes my partner too. We take turns especially when we have something on or if we are unwell.” Jongwoon explained.

“Partner?” Jihyo finally broke her silence.

“Yup, he should be coming any moment now. Jongjin will run the counter tonight.”

“It’s a he?” Donghae asked again. He was too shocked.

Jihyo’s dream guy is gay?’ Donghae wondered.

“There he is!”Jongwoon announced while pointing at the entrance of the café.

Donghae turned to look. His jaw dropped when he saw who it was.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yay! Slightly long chapter. Hope you will get a clearer understanding of Tao's character. Can you make a wild guess who just came in to Mouse Rabbit? :D