Stepping away

Walk Next To Me

“Make sure you eat rice for all your 3 meals in a day!”

“Make your bed every morning!”

“Set the alarm louder so you will not wake up late!”

“Yes…Mum….” Donghae replied in a sleepy voice.  His mum has been going on and on about all the things he should do and frankly, he has been hearing these same statements his whole life.

Its amazing how mums have the power to nag even when they are hours away.

As Donghae put the phone down, he looked around his half furnished apartment.

‘I better get this place cleaned before the start of the term.‘ he reminded himself.

The apartment barely had any furniture. The sofa for two was lonely in the living room and in the tiny kitchen was a small table for two too. His bedroom was the most complete room in the entire apartment. His wardrobe, his bed and his study table were ready since he figured that he was going to be spending most of his time in his room.

The walls were bare and the white blinds blocking sunlight from the living room made the apartment looked spacious.

His arms and legs were aching from moving the furniture in and he started to wonder if he really made the right decision leaving his family behind in Mokpo to come to Seoul. He has never lived alone before and he wanted to experience what it was like live here, in the city. His Mum violently objected at first but thankfully Donghwa assisted him in persuading their mum. Donghwa has always been a supportive hyung. Ever since they lost their father 5 years ago, Donghwa has been extremely protective of his younger brother. Donghae has always thought that his elder brother felt responsible for the family now.  When they bid goodbye, Donghwa wore a worried look on his face. Donghae was his only brother and letting him go was accompanied with a heavy heart but at the same time he was confident that this was his younger brother’s desire.

“Call and text me everyday.”  Donghwa’s words were still ringing clearly in his ears. That was his last reminder before Donghae’s boarded the plane to Seoul. He was determined not to disappoint his brother and vowed to make both his mum and brother proud.

Donghae tugged at his stomach. It was growling with hunger. He has been too absorbed organizing and cleaning the apartment that he has cleanly forgotten to have lunch. With that thought, he decided to make his way out to buy some groceries.

He grabbed his wallet and walked out of the apartment. While locking up, he could not help but notice the commotion made by 2 guys nearby. One of them seemed to be struggling to key in the code to their apartment with one hand whereas his other hand was trying to support a brown haired guy who was semi-conscious.

“Hurry up and open the door!!” shouted the brown haired guy.

The smaller built guy next to him nodded in agreement but he seemed to be having trouble pressing the right numbers, much to the annoyance of his friend. Without hesitating, Donghae decided to walk over to help.

“What is going on? Is he ok?” Donghae concerned voice surprised the two guys.

“He is drunk and he is like this when he is drunk. Please help me carry him while I key in the codes properly so I can open this door!”

This brown haired guy was heavy for Donghae. He was wondering how the smaller built guy was able to carry his friend up all the way to this doorstep. As he held onto the brown haired guy, he could not help but notice how handsome he was, even in his drunken state. His skin was fair and smooth and his lips were pinkish as if he was wearing a light pink lipstick.

While Donghae was subconsciously admiring the guy in his arms, the brown haired guy out of the blue, opened his eyes and stared straight into Donghae’s eyes.

“Who are you?!! Get away from my girlfriend!” he yelled.

A second later, Donghae saw a fist bolted towards him.

“Sungmin no!!!!!!!!!!! “