Chapter 7: Fated Appearance

Scarlet Letters

Naeun sat at the couch, in boredom, while watching TV. Double 0 was at work and she was on a leave until they needed her once again at headquarters. She flipped through the channels and gave a sigh because nothing had suited her. She disliked the dramas except Iris. She didn’t understand why she loved that drama. It was probably at that time when she saw a dream of her and the mysterious man named Myungsoo watching the drama. She didn’t understand why his face was blurry in her dreams, why she couldn’t see him properly.

She switched the television off and walked over to the computer. She hated this vacation; she needed to actively do something. While she was on the computer, she researched more about the letters and the history behind them. As she researched more about the letters’ locations, she noticed that historians couldn’t decipher the numbers written on the top of the letter.

 

“These historians are no help,” she muttered as she closed her laptop.

 

She walked back into her bedroom and glanced at her things placed on her nightstand. Looking at her AOL watch, she closed her eyes and tried to remember her dream vividly . . . Nothing . .  .Nothing came up in her mind. She was about to go to sleep until her phone rang. She picked up her phone immediately, not looking at the ID caller.

 


“Hello?” asked Naeun.

“Naeun, where are you?” asked the other caller.

“Chorong? Yeah, I’m not going to be there for a while.”

“What!?! We need you Naeun! I found out something yesterday,” said Chorong.

“Well, I can’t go there okay? If you have something, then say it.”

“I can’t.”

“Waeyo?”

 

Naeun stopped talking and listened to the background. Chorong wasn’t at the office, she heard beeping of car horns and noises at a busy streets.

 

‘Was she in the city? I thought she had work?’ thought Naeun as she forgot that Chorong was still on the line.

“Naeun? Are you there?”

“Ah! Sorry. I was trying to think of something. Anyways, I can’t tell you through phone. Are you kidding me? You know that Double 0 has placed a lot of security around my apartment.”

“I know. He does that to mine too. Anyways, since you’re on your by week, want to go to the café with me?”

 

Naeun hesitated whether should she go to the café or stay home. She didn’t want to stay at home because it was boring and also she did want to talk to Chorong, in person, about her weird dreams and why she is on vacation. But there is something that is holding her back, Double 0 always has someone spying on her every move. She decided to bring the tool her father gave her before he disappeared with her mother. She left her apartment with her usual black attire to meet up with Chorong.

****

Myungsoo and Hayoung sat next to together as they watched a movie in Hayoung’s room. Myungsoo tried to keep his smile in front of his little sister as he hugged her. Hayoung squirmed and turned toward her older brother.

 

“Yah! Oppa, can’t we go outside and have fun there?” asked Hayoung.

 

Myungsoo looked at his sister and then toward the window. He didn’t want his little sister be in danger because after all Naeun was taken away from him a long time ago. He didn’t want his sister to be into the same problem him and Naeun have but he didn’t want his sister to be sad.  Hayoung pouted and kneeled in front of her brother. It looked she never left home because her room had all of the subjects she needed for her grade as well as Myungsoo’s book back when he was in high school. He felt sorry for hiding and leaving his sister with his family’s trusted maid. He gave in to his little sister and nodded.

 

“Fine, we can go outside but you have to stay extra close to me and don’t wander off. You don’t want someone kidnapping you,” said Myungsoo as he ruffled his little sister’s hair.

“Wah! Really!?! I’ll tell Ahjumma. Ahjumma!” yelled Hayoung as she ran out of her room to their maid’s room.

 

Myungsoo chuckled at his little sister’s cute actions. He walked toward her closest and pulled out her coat and scarf. Suddenly, he saw a scarf that he gave to Naeun. He stared at it and then took it, unconsciously. Memories flashed into his mind as he closed his eyes.

 

It was a snowy day. Myungsoo and Naeun walked around the park. They seemed bored as they watched people play in the snow. Suddenly Naeun threw her secret snowball at Myungsoo. Myungsoo turned to her and widened his eyes. Naeun smiled and ran off. Myungsoo chased after her as they laughed and had fun.

 

“Myungsoo! Come on! You’re so slow!” yelled Naeun as she ran up the hill.

“Just you wait, Naeun. You have no idea what’s going to happen to you,” teased Myungsoo.

“Oh really? Why are you there?” asked Naeun.

 

Suddenly Myungsoo disappeared and Naeun widened her eyes as she realized she was talking a hologram as she was about to run down the hill but it was too late she was hugged by him. Myungsoo had caught her and turned her around.

 

“Yah! Not fair. You shouldn’t be using your parents’ tools like that. You idiot, what if people saw that?” asked Naeun.

“I’m reckless but you weren’t playing nicely so I wasn’t either,” chuckled Myungsoo as he kept hugging her.

 

He pulled her closer to him and leaned toward her face. Naeun widened her eyes as she tried to back away but he tightened his grip around her.

 

“Yah! Let go,” said Naeun.

“No. Wae?” whispered Myungsoo.

“You’re-” Naeun couldn’t finish her words because she was staring at his eyes.

 

Myungsoo was about to kiss her face but then he pulled back. He placed a scarf around Naeun’s face. Naeun snapped out her trance and realized that he gave her his scarf.

 

“What was that for?” asked Naeun as she kicked him hard in the shin.

 

Myungsoo winced in pain because he knew how hard Naeun’s kicks were. He tried to keep calm and saw Naeun laughing at his weird expression.

 

“You were cold. Why? Did you believe I would kiss you?” smirked Myungsoo.

“Don’t make me kick your other leg and then you’ll have two new bruises before a mission,” said Naeun as she glared at him.

“I was kidding. Don’t-”

 

Myungsoo received a call and stopped talking when he realized it was from his parents. His parents barely called him when they were on missions. Something must be wrong. . .

 

“Hello?” asked Myungsoo.

“Protect Naeun,” said both of his parents as the call ended.

“What? Appa!?! Umma!?!” yelled Myungsoo into the phone but no response as he realized the call ended.

“What happened?” asked Naeun.

 

He turned to Naeun and Naeun gave him a confused face as she held onto his scarf. His parents told him to protect Naeun but he didn’t understand what was going on. He hugged Naeun and Naeun didn’t understand what was going on as she hugged him back.

 

“Myungsoo oppa?” asked Hayoung as she tugged onto his sleeve.

 

Myungsoo snapped out of his trance and saw his little sister staring at him.

 

“Ah, Hayoung. I’m sorry,” he said as he took his sister’s hand and walked toward the entrance.

 

Hayoung didn’t understand why her brother clutched onto the scarf that Naeun gave to her. She remembered seeing her brother’s tense face as she saw that he was daydreaming. She didn’t understand what was going on because Naeun and her brother were close, or so she thinks. She decided to forget the feeling and focused on her day finally stepping into the real world for the third time.

Myungsoo told his maid that he would be back with Hayoung before it turned dark. The maid nodded and watched Myungsoo and his little sister leave the apartment. They boarded a bus near his apartment and the bus drove them to Seoul.

 

“Wah! Yay! We’re in the city! I want to go the mall,” said Hayoung as she jumped and then turned to her brother.

“Okay, Hayoung. Just calm down,” chuckled Myungsoo as he smiled at his little sister.

 

He held onto her hand as he was pulled by her. He didn’t understand why Hayoung knew where to go when she was mostly held inside the apartment. When they arrived at the mall, Hayoung smiled. She turned to her brother as they shopped around the mall. Myungsoo bought an outfit for Hayoung as she dragged her older brother around the mall. They decided to rest at a near café.

 

“Hayoung what do you want?” asked Myungsoo.

“I want a milkshake,” nodded Hayoung.

“Alright, go to that table and take this. If someone talks to you, tell them that you’re waiting for your brother. If they still talk to you, use that,” said Myungsoo as he gave her a tool.

 

Hayoung didn’t understand why her brother was overly protective about her. She sat at the table her brother suggested. She gazed outside of the café and looked at the people walking in the mall. She watched them buy things and ignored the couples. She looked in the café and glanced at the people. Suddenly, something caught her eye as she glanced at two people having a conversation. She blinked a few times and realized she wasn’t dreaming. Hayoung left her table and ran toward the table she believed to have seen her unnie.

 

“Naeun unnie!” exclaimed Hayoung in front of Naeun and her friend Chorong.

 

Naeun glanced at Chorong with a warning look and then at the girl as she said:

 

“Who are you?”

 


Hello my readers! =3
I've been so busy. 
Blame my Aps TT
Anyways, if you subscribed to Fated Promise.
I'll update that around Wednesday or Thursday of
Thanksgiving. 
Now, I have to go back and study.