Chapter 12: What is left?

Scarlet Letters

L walked around the streets of Seoul toward the bus stop, due to the information that Sungyeol had given him. Remembering the information correct, his sister probably had boarded a bus back to Seoul in order to arrive at the same place she had left for the whole day. Around 11pm, a bus started to approach the bus stop. L hid within the shadows and waited until the bus had stopped. He watched people come off the bus one by one; hoping one of them was his little sister. With his luck, his sister hopped off the bus and started walking toward a street crossing. He gave a sigh of relief that his sister is safe but not for long. The car stopped at a crosswalk and men with black suits walked out of the car and toward her direction. He watched Hayoung ignored the men but she started to realize that they were walking toward her. She started to back away slowly, not wanting to go near the men that were trying to confront her.

L gritted his teeth while he watched men coming toward her. He couldn’t confront them because he was outnumbered. Instead he could use the hit and run tactic but that would only scare his sister away. He decided to use it because his sister is about to be kidnapped. He raised his gun and using his vision, he was about to shoot them but they were all gone. He realized that they started to chase after Hayoung because she start to run away.

 

‘Shet!’ thought L as he crossed the busy street and started to chase after his sister and her captors.

 

He took out another gadget that could help him shoot accurately while he ran. When he had clear visual, he pulled the trigger but it only hit the stop sign. He cursed under his breath for it wasn’t his day today. Suddenly, he watched men fall down one by one until one was left that was chasing after his sister. He was confused with what was happening.

 

‘How could all of them fall?’ he thought as he stopped and saw another shadow appear in front of the captor.

 

“Why follow an innocent child? She had done nothing wrong,” stated the shadow.

“It was orders by our head. If you interfere, I will kill you,” said the captor.

“Oh? It seems that I have already interfered. Plus, the child is at greater distance now.”

“I have reinforcement at the end of this street.”

“Reinforcements? You mean these people?” said the shadow as she threw the badge and watch down in front of the captor.

“You showed this upon yourself,” stated the captor as he started to advance toward the shadow but it only caused the man to fall down in front of her.

 

L watched the captor fall as he advanced toward the shadow. He started to battle with the person until he finally had pinned the person onto the ground.  He wasn’t going to let this person take his sister away. Suddenly with the street light, he saw the person’s face. He kept his hand on her neck as he kept the gun onto her head.

 

“07? What are you doing here?” he hissed as he kept his hand on her neck.

“Interfering with a mission. It has nothing to do with you and your sister,” stated Naeun stoically.

“Says the girl who almost killed me with her bare hands. Why don’t I do that to you too?,” he whispered as  L tightened his grip around her neck.

“Stop! Myungsoo oppa, what are you doing!?!” yelled a familiar voice.

 

L stopped immediately as he got off Naeun. He watched Hayoung run to him and hug him. He hugged her back too and felt her trembling. He glanced at Naeun as she stood up and started to walk away. He looked back at Hayoung who was crying again.

 

“Hey, why are you crying?” asked L.

“The world is scary. I never thought people would be this way. Where is the happiness and gentleness in the world? Why is it so dark?” stated Hayoung as she wiped her tears away.

“Shh, it’s alright now. I’m here, that’s all that matters. Anyways, we need to get out of here. You need to trust me on this again,” whispered L.

 

Hayoung nodded as she took L’s hand. When standing up, she turned around and saw Naeun had left. L saw that Naeun had left as well. He decided it was best to go back home. He was about to pull Hayoung away but something stopped her.

 

“What is it Hayoung? We need to go now,” whispered L as he tried to listen to any sounds of men walking.

“I’m just watching unnie leave. She’s still there, watching over us. It’s as if she is protecting us,” whispered Hayoung.

“Protecting?” asked L as he looked up where Hayoung was looking and saw Naeun standing against the wall. “We should leave anyway.”

 

****

Myungsoo was slapped across the face by the family maid. He deserved it because he engaged his little sister from being captured. If only his sister saw him, she would break into tears as well as he. He didn’t do a great job on protecting his loved ones. His parents and Naeun were now gone. The only person left was his little sister and he almost lost her too.

 

“How dare you! You who lost almost every family member and your girlfriend had no right to put your sister in danger! By your parents order, you were supposed to keep her out of danger!” yelled the family maid.

“Ahjumma, I can explain-”

“No! You’re not allowed to go near us. You have caused enough stressed within household. Go,” stated the house maid as she shut the door upon L.

 

L kicked a pole and gritted his teeth trying to endure the pain. He had lost everything. His sister, his parents and the one he loves. What was else was there to lose? He blamed everything upon himself as he walked back to the apartment that he shared with Woohyun. When opening the door, he saw a mess upon the floor. He saw Woohyun throwing everything.

 

“Yah! Woohyun, what the heck?” yelled L as he started to clean the place.

“. . .I lost. . .her once again. . .” whispered Woohyun.

 

L saw his friend had been drinking. He was confused to why that happened.

 

“What are you talking about?” asked L.

“This is your fault. . .” whispered Woohyun.

“My fault? How did this affect me?” asked L.

“YOU! It was you! If you had listened to your orders we wouldn’t be in this mess!” yelled Woohyun as he turned to his friend.

“Well, I accepted it! I ing messed up! I know it was my fault but I’m trying to fix it! I want 07 back too! It’s not just with you and 01! It’s all 14 of us!” yelled L.

“Fix it? Your mess has caused the torment of Naeun and Chorong. They don’t ing remember anything! Nothing! They have been wiped out and turned into 00’s puppets! What’s even worse is Naeun that became his prized puppet like you had become the same with that fricken head of LONS!” yelled Woohyun. “Look what she had done to the six of your friends. LOOK AT THEM! I am done, Myungsoo. I am fricken done with this agent business. If only I could leave, I would but Chorong’s life and mine depend on it!” yelled Woohyun as he left the apartment.

 

He had left L in a miserable state as L collapsed onto the floor trying to digest his best friend’s rant.

 

‘What was left for me?’ he asked himself.

 


I updated. ^^