Chapter 9: Unfolding a Mask

Scarlet Letters

“Is this a trap? I’m calling the AOL’s elites,” said Chorong as she already had her phone out.

 

Woohyun widened his eyes as he grabbed Chorong’s hand that was holding the gun and brought it behind her back. He twisted her hand and placed pressure between her thumb and point finger until she dropped her gun. Chorong winced in pain and tried to back kick Woohyun but it didn’t work as Woohyun twisted her hand harder. He placed his head near Chorong’s head.

 

“Drop it, 01. No one knows about this place except you. I made it only visible for you. Don’t you dare call the other elites or I’ll kill you here,” whispered Woohyun into Chorong’s ear.

“Why should I believe you? I don’t trust you. Your note said not to trust anyone, not even my friends. Give me a reason why I should trust you.”

“I have information about your friends that you would want to be involved in so cooperate with me.”

 

Woohyun released Chorong and walked back toward where he sat before Chorong came. He glanced at Chorong and waited for her answer while he placed his gun on the table, threatening her. Chorong had two choices. She could either run away and get killed or listen to him and might get killed. Chorong decided it was best to stay where she was and sit in front of Woohyun. Woohyun gave a smile as he put his gun away and proceeded with what he wanted to tell her.

 

“I thought you were going to run away from me,” teased Woohyun.

“Shut up and proceed with what you wanted to say and besides. . .you would have caught me either way.”

 

Woohyun gave a chuckled and placed a file in front of Chorong. Chorong glanced at the files and realized something was off. All of the pictures were of the seven elites in AOL and the other seven elites in LONS. She glanced at the pictures and saw EJ with 05, 04 with Namjoo, and what caught her attention was a picture of 07 and L. She glanced at Woohyun and placed the picture in front of her.

 

“What is this? Why is L and 07 hugging each other? This is not possible. Was this photo shopped?” asked Chorong.

“That photo happened five years ago.”

“Five years ago!?! What are you talking about? 07, 04 and I were rookies in the AOLs that time. She hasn’t met L yet. They met each other one year later! That’s not possible.”

“01, have you heard of punishment by torture?” asked Woohyun as he watched Chorong glance at the other pictures.

“No, I was never tortured.”

“Are you sure about that? Do you remember anything before you were a rookie in the AOLs?” asked Woohyun.

“I don’t know where you’re going.”

“Well, I’ll keep it short. All of the elites in the AOLs were mentally tortured but some were also physically tortured. The one who was hurt the most was 07, Son Naeun,” said Woohyun.

“WHAT!?! You’re crazy! That’s not true! All of us went to Spy Academy together.”

“Then why can’t you remember me, Chorong? Huh? Why?”

“I don’t know you! Stop it!” yelled Chorong as she started to breathe heavily.

“They are lies Chorong! Listen to me!”

“How do you know my name!?! STOP! Leave me alone!”

 

Woohyun watched Chorong’s sudden reactions.

 

“Chorong?” asked Woohyun as he started to approach her.

“Stop! Get away from me!” she cried in pain.

 

Chorong fell down from her chair and went into her crouched position. She covered her ears and started to breathe heavily. Woohyun approached her and knelt down beside her. He was trying to calm her down but he realized something. Her watch had triggered an alarm and saw that agents from AOLs were coming toward his direction. He cursed underneath his breath as he tried to remove the watch. Chorong screamed in pain and Woohyun realized it was the watch that was doing this. He took out a laser and carefully tried to remove her watch. Chorong cried as he tried to remove her watch.

 

“Chorong shush! I can’t do this any faster!”

 

He heard banging from the door as the watch almost came off on Chorong’s wrist. When the watch came off, he placed a small explosive on the watch and placed his hat onto the watch. He grabbed onto Chorong, took the flies, and ran toward the hidden closet. He wrapped an arm around Chorong’s waist and pulled her close to him as he walked back toward the end of the closet. The hidden closest door closed onto them and he placed a hand over Chorong’s mouth.

The door burst open and men started to scan the room. Men started to look through any secret closest or hidden passage the room had offered but nothing. They couldn’t find anything except a hat and a broken watch. The leader of the men picked up the watch and took out his phone.

 

“What are you reporting to me, 110?” asked the mysterious voice behind the phone.

 “01 was kidnapped.”

“How do you know?”

“The only thing left is the watch and a hat but that caught on fire when I touched it.”

“Find 01. I need her for a certain mission. If you don’t find her, I will kill you Minhyuk.”

 

The call ended and Minhyuk looked at the watch. He decided to leave the library with the watch in his hand. When he left, Woohyun opened the closest and held onto Chorong. He noticed that she was fast asleep in his arms. He gave a sigh and decided to escape with her through the window. Thus, it ended their meeting with both a success and a failure. The failure was trying to make Chorong that he existed in her life.

****

Myungsoo woke up tied up into a chair. He looked at the scenery in front of him and saw a girl sitting in front of him. He blinked a few times and realized it was Naeun that was in front of him. Naeun glared at him and threw down his equipment in front of him.

 

“I can’t believe you have a sister, L,” said Naeun as she sat in her chair.

“So now you know that my little sister is Hayoung. Why did you tie me up to a chair? We have no mission that involves going against each other,” said Myungsoo as he glanced at Naeun.

“You were probably spying on 01 and I so I tied you up. Spill what you know heard or else you won’t leave this place alive.”

“You’re cute when you threaten me, Son Naeun,” smirked Myungsoo.

 

Naeun widened her eyes and slapped Myungsoo’s face calling her cute. She didn’t understand why she slapped him because he did nothing to her nor did he say anything mean. She felt like she needed to slap him for that particular compliment. Myungsoo didn’t glare at her and looked at her with a calm expression.

 

“Don’t call me cute or I’ll kick you instead. Now, answer my question, why were you at the restaurant and what did you hear about my conversation with 01?” asked Naeun.

“I was at the restaurant for my sister. I heard nothing except Hayoung calling you by your name.”

“Liar! Why were you getting chased by AOL agents then? You practically have stolen something haven’t you?”

“Yes, I did steal something.”

“What is it?”

“Your heart.”

“Cut the crap, L. Tell me what you stole?”

“Naeun, you’re smart, aren’t you? Solve the missing pieces, yourself. How do I know your name?”

“Yeah! How do you know my name?”

“It’s classified. I can tell you my name because I already know yours. My name is Kim Myungsoo.”

 

Naeun glared at Myungsoo and raised her hand. Myungsoo looked onto Naeun’s eyes and waited for her to slap him. Naeun was about to slap him but stopped close to his cheek. She couldn’t hit him because his name reminded her of the guy in her dreams. She didn’t understand why his name was connected.

 

“Why did you stop?”

“I can’t hit you.”

“Then shoot me.”

“I can’t shoot you either.”

“Why?”

“Help me.”

 

Naeun collapsed onto the floor and started to cry. Myungsoo widened his eyes and saw a helpless form of Naeun. He didn’t understand why she was crying as he wanted to help her.

 

“Why are you crying?”

“I don’t understand myself.”

“What do you mean?”

 

Naeun looked at him and decided to say it.

 

“You are familiar to me but we’re arch enemies.”

 

Myungsoo wanted to tell Naeun that he is familiar but he couldn't. There was still someone that blocking him from getting to her.

It was none other than Naeun's boyfriend.


Well, I think I need to explain what is happening later.
Anyways enjoy this chapter.