Chapter 13: Deception

Scarlet Letters

01 arrived at HQ with Minhyuk as she immediately looked at the hologram globe if 07 and 04 had gone for a mission. It seemed that 07 and 04 had disappeared from the globe. She looked at Minhyuk and then pointed to 04 and 07.

 

“Where are they? Why did their numbers disappear from the hologram? Usually on missions, they have trackers for us to know where they are,” stated Chorong as she pointed to Minhyuk’s location on the globe.

“I don’t know 01. My only mission was to find you and bring you back to base. That’s what I did,” said Minhyuk as he looked at Chorong.

 

He knew that Chorong had caught on something when he had raised his weapon toward Woohyun that time. Chorong looked at Minhyuk suspiciously as she was about to counter attack but Namjoo appeared behind them.

 

“01! What happened to you?” asked Namjoo as she gave her friend a hug.

“I don’t remember. The only thing I remember was I was in a library and then the next thing I knew I was at an apartment but I escaped from it. Minhyuk found me outside the streets,” lied Chorong since she didn’t want to expose N’s location or put him in danger.

“Did the captor hurt you? You show no sign of any injures. What did the captor do you? Do you remember?” asked Namjoo as she looked at Chorong in the eye.

“I remember the library. He had showed me. . .pictures but I don’t remember any content from the pictures,” lied Chorong again but she looked at Namjoo, normally.

“I see. . .well, we will supply you another watch but right now, keep a hold of your phone. It will have your missions in it. You need rest. I’ll tell Agent 00, our head, everything that happened to you. Also, this message goes to Minhyuk. Since you completed the mission, the head left a message on your watch,” stated Namjoo as she left the room after that.

 

Minhyuk looked back at Chorong and patted her head. He saw that she was trembling after what she had said to Namjoo. Of course, who wouldn’t be scared if they had just lied to someone who is close to the head of office?

 

“It will be alright, Chorong. I know why you did that,” stated Minhyuk as he kept patting her head.

“What happens if the head finds out that I was lying?” whispered Chorong. “He will find me and kill me. Namjoo is an honest person or so I see her as one. If she lied to the head, she too will be die. He’s that powerful.”

“I know. I was threatened by him. If I couldn’t find you, I would be dead. Anyways, go and rest. Also, be on your look out since there are people here that will kidnap a girl like you,” whispered Minhyukas he left Chorong.

“Goodbye, 110,” whispered Chorong as she too left HQ.

****

 

Naeun had gone back to her secret base with 110, Minhyuk, and 04, Sungyeol. She was glad that she helped L find his sister but now they were nothing more than strangers and enemies. She sat at the computer and glanced at her watch, wondering why no one had a watch like hers. Everyone had the same one but hers was way different from other people. She couldn’t remove it freely and during missions, it was used as a tracker for missions.

Suddenly, noises came from the secret entrance that caused her to hide in the shadows once again. It was Minhyuk along with Sungyeol. She watched them speak as Minhyuk and Sungyeol spoke in a whisper. Naeun was curious and luckily, she had her watch with her. She used the watch to her advantage to listen to their conversation.

 

“What is it now, Minhyuk? I was about to go home,” whispered Sungyeol.

“It’s about 01,” stated Minhyuk.

“What about 01? You found her, that’s great. Now what do you want?” asked Sungyeol as he was tired and wanted to sleep since he had been sleep deprived for a while now.

“She came from N’s place. You know, that guy that is in the same agency as L.”

“What? You mean that N kidnapped her? That’s not possible since-” Sungyeol stopped talking as he bit his tongue.

“Since what? Yeol, what are you not telling me?”

“It’s classified. I can’t tell you,” whispered Sungyeol.

“Classified? You had not kept anything from me ever since you, Naeun and I have built this place. If you keep everything classified, one of us will end up dying and we all need each other, especially Naeun. You know what happened to her. You saw her go crazy that time. Now tell me what is classified,” muttered Minhyuk.

“I can’t tell you. I swore under an oath never to tell anything about anyone I know toward our agency.”

“Bullcrap. You’re lying. You don’t even work for AOL. You’re also a Woollim agent like Naeun,” stated Minhyuk.

“H-how did you know?” asked Sungyeol.

“Because I heard it from Naeun when she had woken up from her sleep that time when you were mending L’s wounds,” stated Minhyuk. “I’m taking a guess that there are many Woollim agents within LONS and AOL.”

 

Sungyeol knew that Minhyuk was dead on with the guess. Sungyeol gave a sigh of defeat as he decided to spill a few details.

 

“Fine, you want know something? There are fourteen of us, Woollim agents. Seven went to AOL and the other seven went to LONS. There are only a few that are carrying out the mission. The rest have fallen. I can’t tell you all of the agents but Son Naeun and Park Chorong are examples. They don’t know what’s going on anymore. Son Naeun is the main focus because she has no memory of Woollim. To her, she is nothing but a girl who is authorized to kill or complete missions. To her, she is nothing but Double 00’s killing machine.”

 

Naeun threw a marble at Sungyeol and Sungyeol had caught it. He widened his eyes because he was caught completely off guard. To think the one person that he didn’t want to expose information to was in the building. He glanced at Son Naeun for she was angry and confused.

In her mind, she had many questions and one of them was:

 

‘Who am I?’