Chapter 3: Origin of the Letter

Scarlet Letters

When L left, Shreya walked behind L but a few meters away. When L reached the entrance, Shreya ran into a coffee shop near the front entrance. She watched L and Celine walk the same direction that she came out. She walked out of the coffee shop and left the museum. Shreya took off her thick glasses off and placed them in her pocket. Shreya and gave a sigh. She walked into one of Cambridge’s small library and hoped that she wasn’t found by L. She went inside the library and walked toward the corner of the adult section of the library. She found a table near the corner of the adult’s section and placed her lap top on the desk. There she placed her ear piece on her ear and waited for Namjoo to show up.

 

“Naeun, usually you don’t contact me during a mission, what’s wrong?” asked Namjoo.

“You’re wrong. This is his mission,” said Naeun as she was panting from running.

“What’s do you mean? Who’s he?” asked Namjoo.

“L. You said that this was N’s mission. This is L’s mission. To think I wouldn’t meet him again,” muttered Naeun as her hands became like fists.

“Then, if L is in this mission then the other mission that Chorong-”

“Chorong? She’s also part of this letter mission. Are you kidding me? If Chorong is also sent to protect or receive these letters then that means that all the elites of LONS is part of this mission. Send Chorong back to HQ and send Sungyeol out. This is dangerous mission; EJ might be on this mission too.”

“No! Naeun that is not my job to send her back, it’s the head’s job. Don’t worry we’ll send Hoya, 05 to take care of Chorong’s safety. Focus on your mission, we need you to protect that letter and also we need a scan of the letter. Dongwoo is helping me find clues of LONS’s objective with the letters.”

“Fine. . .I’ll finish this mission. Send me to Spain after this mission because I don’t want Chorong to be injured and tell Sungyeol to speed it up,” muttered Naeun.

“Naeun, good luck. Don’t get injured, please. I don’t want you to die,” said Namjoo.

“The only weakness I have is losing you, Chorong and Sungyeol. I won’t die, I promise.”

 

Naeun closed the computer and decided to understand the meaning of her mission. She began to research why Mary wrote the letters. As she sat on the table and began to skim some books, she got the gist of it.

 

‘So Mary wrote those letters to King Phillip because Mary wanted a child. Okay then. That’s awkward. Then why would LONS want the letters in the first place?’ thought Naeun.

 

She read more of the books and saw information that she thought she wouldn’t see.

 

‘Mary wrote all those nonsense letters to Phillip because on the last letter she wrote said to keep these letters in order to find the lost treasure of her mother’s family’s hidden gold. That’s it! What if LONS is low on money and they are trying to find the gold. They could auction that gold in order to pay off their debts. Their head is only using them like pawns to do her or his dirty work!’ thought Naeun as she placed the books back on the shelves.

 

She looked at her watch and saw that it was dark. Naeun had been reading for five hours to kill time. After finishing placing the books back, she walked into the girls’ bathroom and changed into her infamous clothes that she uses on her nightly missions. When she finished, she decided to slip out of the girls’ bathroom window. She got out of the bathroom window and walked out around the streets in the night.

Naeun was alone in the streets near the museum as she had her iPad out. She was trying to get into security’s camera system near the museum. When she hacked into the system, she made it seem like she was invisible as she ran toward the steps of the front entrance. She was limited in time because her system will only last for three hours.

She looked at the height of the roof and gave a sigh. She took out a grapple hook from her backpack and threw it onto the roof. She pulled onto the rope and knew it would hold her steady when she climbs. Naeun started to climb; she pulled onto the rope as she used the wall support. When she finally got to roof, she placed her grapple hook and rope into her bag as she looked at the windows. She needed to be in the nearest exhibit window.

Finally, she walked toward the nearest window that had the letter and started to push the window open. She used her belt to lower herself down the window as she finally entered the museum. Pressing a button on her belt, the hook cut the rope that lowered her into the museum and the hook was left on roof of the museum. She placed her rope on her bag and went toward the exhibit that had the letter.

****

Naeun found the letter and looked at the letter. Its position was different from the time she was disguised as Shreya. She realized something was off and she took out her gun, turned around and pointed it behind her as she heard chuckling.

 

“So we meet again,” a man gave a low chuckle after he spoke.

 

This man has black straight hair and wore black clothing to hide his pale skin. He held a gun and pointed it at Naeun. Naeun gave a cold piercing stare at the man was ready to shoot him if he did anything suspicious.

 

“Why aren’t you answering me?” asked the man as his grin turned into a serious face.

 

He took a step forward which caused Naeun to place her finger at the trigger. She knew that L was dangerous and that he shouldn’t be taken easily.

 

“Shoot me. Why can’t you bring yourself to shoot me?” asked L as he placed his hands up along with his gun.

 

Naeun couldn’t shoot him because she knew that he shouldn’t be taken easily. Was she too late? She then spoke.

 

“I want the letter,” whispered Naeun like the only thing you could hear was air.

“So you can speak, Shreya?” said L as he emphasized her fake name.

“So you knew, I was here then William,” said Naeun as she looked at L, “and I want the letter.”

“Sorry but I can’t give you the letter but. . .I can show you it,” chuckled L as he took out the letter and turned around, looking at the window.

 

When L turned around, it was a huge mistake for L as Naeun threw a compacted ball at the ground. The place began to fill with white smoke as Naeun took the letter from the L’s hand in the mist. When she got the letter, L tried to trip her. Naeun dodge L’s leg as she ran toward the window. When she got the window, she took her changes and was about to jump out. Naeun was stopped by L as he grabbed her shoulder.

 

“Where are you going, Son Naeun?” the man whispered into her era as he started to pull her inside the window.

“Away from you,” she widened her eyes because she didn’t know how he found out her name as she jabbed him in the stomach and jumped out of the window.

 

Naeun landed safely on the ground as she took out the letter. She glanced at the letter closely and cursed under her breath.

 

‘Shet! He fooled me,’ thought Naeun as she contacted Namjoo with her watch.

 

“Mission is a failure,” whispered Naeun as she hit the wall for her stupidity.

“How!?! NAEUN! WE NEED THAT LETTER!”

“I fell for his replica and don’t yell at me! I'll get the letter again if you want! I’m tired and also I have to tell you something else,” muttered Naeun.

“I don’t want to hear it. No! Fall back for now. Just head back to HQ,” said Namjoo as she cut the line.

 

Naeun wanted to tell Namjoo that L found out her real name but she guessed that had to wait as she crumbled the replica letter and swiftly left the museum and Cambridge to catch an airport to Korea.

 


Two updates ouob
I know. I wrote this last week. Now I'm off to do homework.