Chapter 10: Broken Promises

Scarlet Letters

Sungyeol was in his office during the whole day and gave a sigh. He had nothing to do because his friend Naeun was on vacation and his other friend Chorong had decided not to show up today. Also, all of the elites decided to take a resting day. It was annoying to him because he had to do their work as well. Like what he usually says to Naeun, it to be an elite, sometimes. Suddenly, a person knocked on his door and he looked up from his computer.

 

“Come in,” he said.

 

The silhouette turned out to be Namjoo. Sungyeol’s bored mood had disappeared when Namjoo appeared. He straightened his desk and tried to make it look at least decent. Namjoo looked at Sungyeol weirdly and shook her head. The choding always seemed to be flustered whenever he sees her.

 

“Hi, choding,” teased Namjoo.

“Yah! Joo, you know I hate being called that,” said Sungyeol as he finished fixing his desk.

“I know but it’s my nickname for you like Joo is your nickname for me,” said Namjoo as she sat down in front of him.

“So what brings you to my office?”

“You seemed lonely. . .I finished with my assignments and decided to check on you. Since all of the elites decided to bail today, I wondered if you were okay.”

“So Joo has a heart for me. Are you already in love with me?” teased Sungyeol.

“As if! I know you’re in love with me. You shouldn’t be because then they might use me against you. You’re not supposed to have a weakness,” whispered Namjoo.

“The world is cruel to everyone but it’s even worse for us, secret agents. I mean, clearly you love me but you just can’t admit it.”

“Wrong! I told you Sungyeol, us is not going to happen,” said Namjoo as she stood up from her chair.

“Wait! At least let me treat you to dinner, I’ve always wanted to ask you but we’re always busy. I’m free today and you told me right now that you’re free. . .so can you?”

 

Namjoo turned around and faced Sungyeol. She couldn’t believe Sungyeol was asking her for a date. She gave a sigh and wanted to lie but his expression stopped her from doing so. They both knew that they couldn’t be together because it was dangerous. If anyone were to find out that they loved each other, she and he will have their memories about each other erased or manipulated. By the AOL law, no one could fall in love with anyone in AOL organization unless it was approved by the head. Also, if they loved each other, then they would burden one another.

 

“So it is a yes?” asked Sungyeol as he finally stood up from his chair.

“Sure. . .” Namjoo said as she turned to him and gave him a grim smile.

“Really? You’re actually agreeing to this!?!” asked Sungyeol as his eyes widened.

“Yes, I’m allowing it. Just bring some gadgets, in case,” said Namjoo.

“What time should I pick you up?” asked Sungyeol.

“Pick me up 19 hundred,” said Namjoo as she left his office.

 

Sungyeol gave a smile and started took out his regular phone. He called a five star restaurant and asked if he could make a reservation around 8pm tonight. When he got the reservation, he texted Namjoo and told her to wear something fancy. He then left the AOL organization building and went back to his apartment. At his apartment, he was already picking out his tuxedo and trying to fix his hair when he got a call from 110.

 

“What? Not now, I’m going on a date with Namjoo,” said Sungyeol with an annoyance.

“WHAT!?! With who!?! Don’t tell me, it’s the head engineer of our company,  Miss Kim Namjoo?” asked 110.

 

Sungyeol hung up on Minhyuk and walked toward his car. He drove to a flower shop and bought a bouquet of red roses. He arrived at Namjoo’s apartment and knocked on her door. He stood in front of her home and waited for her. Namjoo then came out with a glamorous black dress. (the one she wore to the MAMA awards.) She glanced at Sungyeol and saw him staring at her. She waved a hand in front of his face and Sungyeol snapped out of it.

 

“You look beautiful,” smiled Sungyeol.

“You look handsome,” said Namjoo.

“Thanks, I always look this handsome though,” teased Sungyeol.

“Don’t be greasy. That’s not your personality,” said Namjoo as she stepped on his food with her heel and walked toward the car.

 

Sungyeol tried to think about something as he walked because his foot hurt. Namjoo was wearing black pencil heeled shoes and she stepped on his foot. He walked with her toward the car and opened the door for her. They arrived at the five story hotel and Sungyeol parked the car at the reserved parking lot. He got out of the driver’s seat and walked over toward the passenger seat. He opened the door for Namjoo and smiled.

 

“So what do you think?” asked Sungyeol as he held onto her hand and walked with her inside the restaurant.

“It’s pretty. How do you have that much money?” asked Namjoo

“It’s called the missions.”

“I see. The dangerous the mission, the more money you get if you accomplish it,” said Namjoo.

“Clever as always,” smiled Sungyeol.

“I know it’s my specialty,” laughed Namjoo.

 

Namjoo wrapped an arm around Sungyeol as she watched him ask the waiter where their table was. They were guided to their tables and given menus. Namjoo and Sungyeol looked at the menus when Sungyeol’s phone started to buzz. He gave an annoyed look and smiled at Namjoo.

 

“What is it, choding?” asked Namjoo.

“Joo, I need to use the restroom. I will be back,” smiled Sungyeol as he left for the bathrooms.

 

Sungyeol entered the restroom and took the phone out. He was annoyed because 110 wouldn’t stop calling him ever since he hanged up on him.

 

“Minhyuk, tell me this fast because I really want to spend it with Namjoo ah,” whined Sungyeol.

“Fine, do you want to know already? I’m going to die if I don’t find where 01 is!”

“WHAT THE- You should have told me this when I was at AOL! I wouldn’t have asked Namjoo on a date!” yelled Sungyeol through the phone.

“You know if I die then your base is no longer safe and the tracking devices on your watches will be revealed once again to the AOLs. I’ve kept this a secret ever since you and Naeun build that secret base. Oh right, Naeun is there right now. I know you need me. What is it going to be Namjoo or me?” asked Minhyuk as he hanged up.

 

Sungyeol slammed the phone onto the counter and ruffled his hair in frustration. The day when he was free and could spend with Namjoo was the day when one of his good friends was kidnapped. He gave a sigh and knew that he needed to help Minhyuk or else the tracking devices will be back. Thus, he chose Minhyuk over Namjoo. He walked out of the bathroom after he slipped in phone into his coat pocket. He glanced at Namjoo, who was still reading the menu, and looked at the entrance. He rushed toward the entrance but before he left he turned to the waiter. The waiter looked at him with a puzzled look.

 

“Why are you leaving sure?” asked the waiter.

“Give this to that lady in the black dress who has no partner in front of her,” said Sungyeol.

“Why?”

“I have no time to explain just please give this to her.”

“But sir!”

 

Sungyeol rushed out of the restaurant and started to call Minhyuk that he was on his way. Namjoo looked up and saw that Sungyeol was no back yet. She tilted her head and then the waited went to her. It was strange but she suddenly had a feeling Sungyeol had left when she saw the waiter had given her a necklace and a ticket to a bus.

 

“So he had to leave huh? If he was busy, why did he take me to dinner? This was a waste of my time,” muttered Namjoo.

 

 Sungyeol watched as Namjoo ran out of the restaurant in tears. He felt sorry for abandoning her as he knew that he could no longer gain her trust.

 

“I’m sorry, Namjoo. I need to save my friends because my life and their lives depend on it,” muttered Sungyeol as he left with is car.

****

Naeun stopped crying and looked at Myungsoo. She couldn’t believe she was acting like this in front of her arch enemy. She stood up immediately and turned toward her computers.

 

“Are you trying to find my sister?” asked L.

“Yes, I feel like this was my fault so the only way to repay for that sin is to find your sister,” said Naeun.

“07, you shouldn’t be helping the enemy,” said L.

“But we’re not enemies. We have no mission against each other so stop calling me, 07.”

“Fine, Naeun then. I can find her, just set me free.”

“I can’t. I want to know why AOL agents were chasing after you.”

“It’s too dangerous to get involved. You should go back to your-”

“I’m on vacation so I can do whatever I want. I don’t want to go back to that place. Everyone is watching me. Double 0 watches over me. It’s annoying.”

“Annoying? I thought you were in loved with him.”

 

Naeun stopped what she was doing and turned to Myungsoo. She gave a sigh and told the truth about her relationship with Double 0 was.

 

“I don’t know if I feel the same way. He’s just there in my mind. I don’t really know myself.”

“I see. . .did you find my sister?” asked Myungsoo as he changed the subject.

“Negative.”

“Then-”

“Shhh, someone is coming,” whispered Naeun.

 

The door began to make noise and Naeun took out her gun. She pushed L to the darkest part of the base because she didn’t want anyone to know she is with the enemy. She also changed the computer setting so that they wouldn’t know what she was doing. The door opened and Naeun looked at the door. L kept quiet and listened to the noise. They both watched a shadow walk toward Naeun.

 

“What the-? 07? What are you doing here?” asked a familiar voice.

“110? What are you doing here?” asked Naeun as she placed her gun at the side of her leg once again.

“I asked first.”

“Nothing, I was bored and I didn’t want to be in the apartment anymore. You?”

“It’s classified.”

“Why is everything classified? It’s like no one trusts me. I don’t understand this.”

“You wouldn’t want to know, anyway 07.”

“Stop calling me 07. I’m not on a mission. Just call me by my real name.”

“But it’s too dangerous 07. What if he is watching over us?” asked 110.

“Minhyuk, Sungyeol and I built this base so that he wouldn’t find us. You also agreed into helping us get those stupid trackers off our watches. What is with the matter with you? I’ve told you all the secrets that Double 0 had given me. Why can’t you tell me?”

“Because. . .”

“Because what?”

“He is planning to kill me.”

“What? Why?”

“01. . .”

 

Myungsoo listened from the dark corner and watched them converse. He couldn’t believe that Naeun had been trying to escape AOL even though she didn’t even know him. He listened more to the conversation and kept himself from breathing loudly.

 Why Naeun heard about 01, she held onto Minhyuk’s collar shirt. She guessed that 01 was in danger as she trembled while holding onto him.

 

“What. Happened. To. 01. Where is she?”

“She disappeared. The only left was the watch at the library of Seoul.”

 

Naeun let go of Minhyuk and walked toward the darkness. Minhyuk didn’t understand until Naeun screamed at the dark silhouette. He the light and saw it was no other than L.

 

“WHERE IS SHE!?! I know why the AOL agents were chasing after you?!? You kidnapped her! WHERE DID YOU TAKE HER!?!” yelled Naeun.

“Naeun! You took the enemy into our base!” yelled 110.

 

Naeun didn’t hear Minhyuk screaming at her as she hit Myungsoo. Myungsoo didn’t speak as he let Naeun hit him. He knew she was frustrated and confused. He was sorry for not being at her side. The only way to express his guilt was being slapped by her. Myungsoo had bruises as he was brutally hit by Naeun as she was about to punch his face, someone had stopped her.

 

“Enough, Naeun. He probably doesn’t know where she is,” he said.

“Sungyeol? He knows! He knows where she is! HE KNOWS!” yelled Naeun.

“Minhyuk! Take her to a room before she kills L with her hands,” said Sungyeol as he pushed Naeun toward Minhyuk.

“Let me go! I’m not finished with him!” yelled Naeun as she struggled from Minhyuk’s grip.

“Took you long enough, Sungyeol,” said Minhyuk as he dragged Naeun to a room.

 

When Naeun and Minhyuk disappeared into a room, Sungyeol turned toward L who was now unconscious. He released L from the ropes and helped the hurt male to the infirmary at the small base. He placed L on a bed and treated his bruises and scratches.

 

“I’m glad to see you, Yeol,” whispered Myungsoo.

“Me too. You look horrible. Why did you let her do that to you, Myung?” asked Sungyeol.

“Because. . .I’m guilty.”

“What do you mean?” asked Sungyeol.

“I couldn’t help her.”


I will explain who double 0 and the head of LONS later.
Naeun is pretty brutal. . .sad that she doesn't know who she is hurting.