Sanctuary

Smashing The Hourglass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As they were preoccupied, they did not notice the man creeping up on them; not until Heather screamed when he grabbed her.

She kicked and fought as Jae ran up to try and help, Kris soon following, throwing a punch at the guys face. The force knocked the mask off and the guy fell back. They all watched in surprise as he began to yell and his face fizzled turning grey then black.

“How?” Suho wondered, but Miah pushed him and yelled for them to run. More of the men were running toward them from behind.

They ran toward a merry-go-round, jumping on its moving platform when more of the men began to appear. They were trapped with nowhere to go as dozens of the hazmats surround the ride, but then suddenly a wave of fire enveloped the men, their screams ringing out into the night.

“What the hell just happened?” Kris yelled. Miah shook her head as they looked at her, “It wasn’t me!” She then stiffened as she felt a familiar presence.

Turing around, Alessa stood a few feet away. Her slimy hair clung to her overly pale face, and her innocent school dress contrasted drastically with her completely black eyes as she stared past her former apprentice and toward the daughter of the woman she was formed from.

“I will deal with you later,” she murmured in Miah’s general direction. Her form then changed from a child to a dark replica of Heather. The real Heather tensing in response. “Alessa,” she whispered. The dark being smiled wickedly. “Daughter,” she called, “sister,” she accused, “self,” she taunted. “No!” Heather yelled, but Alessa disappeared then reappeared right in front of her. Miah stepped forward to help, but with a wave of the dark witch’s hand she flew back, as did the others.

“I gave you life,” Alessa said in Heather’s voice, “so you could live my dream! You are the part of me that could be free of this pain. That could live, and feel love.”

“Don’t believe her,” Miah yelled, “You’re real mother died years ago. That thing in front of you is nothing more than a shadow. An imprint of the real Alessa!”

The dark one roared toward her and Miah fell back again in pain. “Miah!” Suho yelled running toward her.

“Do you feel nothing?” Heather asked her mimic. “Nothing but hatred!” was her answer.

With a staggered breath, the blonde replied, “They say you are a demon.” “They are right.” “You created this nightmare.” “Everyone has a different nightmare inside hell. I am theirs.”

Shaking her head, Heather yelled, “I have to save my father!” she tried to turn away but Alessa only followed. “He is not my father, or yours. Besides, sacrifices have to be made. Just ask them,” she nodded toward the four.

“Go to hell!” Kris growled in response. Alessa only chuckled, “Can’t you see…we’re already here.”

The flames of the men began to spiral upward, or so it seemed. In reality, they were actually going down. Miah tensed, realizing the merry-go-round was the entrance they had been looking for.

Alessa turned back to Heather and placed a tight grip on . “You are not welcome here,” she glared.

Miah jumped up in response, pushing Suho away as he tried to hold her back. She grabbed the dark witch’s arm tightly, her eyes flashing a bluish-grey. “Let her go,” she threatened. Alessa smirked, “You think I won’t destroy her?”

Heather’s face began to turn grey, dark veins popping up from her skin. She would not be broken though, placing her own hand over the other’s, she said, “How can you? I am you.” She then grabbed the witch into a trapping hug, Miah letting her go and stepping back in understanding.

“It’s time I take back what I gave you!” she roared, hugging Heather back roughly.

The ground began to shake as if the earth were going to split. The heat of the fire could now be felt, making them all break into a sweat. The cry of a thousand souls rang into the air and Alessa screamed out, “We are one now!” As she did, Heather’s skin began to clear and Alessa’s own began to crack and fall away into a burnt form that also began to fall away and float as embers into the air. The emb

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter