Memories

Smashing The Hourglass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

He watched as she kneeled before the small tier of rocks; as the emptiness in her eyes slowly dissipated and a clarity he could almost recognize appeared. She then closed her eyes, his body seeming to be drawn to her as she did so.

 

The crying was loud, so loud that it irritated the once happy girl. She frowned and tugged on her mother’s necklace. The woman holding her smiled down at her, “This is my friend’s home,” she said, “and those are her children over there.” The girl looked to where her mother pointed; it was the same place the crying was coming from.

From her position in the foreign home’s doorway she could see a woman similar looking to her own mother, but with shorter hair standing behind two children. One of them, a female, was bawling with her hands fisted against her eyes and fat crocodile tears dripping down her cheeks. The other, a male, stood clutched onto the crying girls arm. He looked near tears himself, and couldn’t seem to decide where to look. His warm, brown eyes flitted back and forth from the girl to his mother to the new duo in his home.

Pulling on her mothers necklace again, the girl whined lightly until she was put down. Without fear or inhibition she stumbled her way forward. Almost tripping once, she arrived in front of the two unknown children and their mother.

She looked up, giving the woman a curious look. The short haired female kneeled down to the girl’s level. “These are my children,” she smiled, “This is Junghwa, and this crybaby here is Jaehwa. They’re twins.” She then looked to her two children, lightly rubbing their backs. “My sweets, this is my friend and her daughter Eunmi. Can you say Eunmi, Jaehwa?” When the girl in question said nothing the woman turned to her son and asked the same question.

The boy looked hesitantly from his mother to girl in front of him. His eyes were now watery from the stress of his crying sister and having to meet someone new. He opened his mouth to say something but instead ended up chocking on his own salvia and having a coughing fit.

When his mother and the girls’ own finished calming him, the girl giggled a bit and grabbed his hand. The boy jumped and looked at her with wide eyes. She smiled softly and removed her hand. “Jun…Jung….Junggie?” she questioned unsurely. Their mothers laughed to each other and moved away to give their kids room.

The boy on the other hand, looked down, opening his fist to find a small gold wrapped candy. His eyes darted to the person that had given it to him. “Mi-ah?” he asked timidly. The girl’s smile widened causing even the boy to smile.

The other girl slowly quieted her crying into small whimpers. Her eyes were trained on her brother’s palm, and fresh batch of tears forming. Before any could be shed, her small hand was grabbed, a cool foil being placed inside. When the other girl pulled away, she looked down to find the same candy as her brothers’. Looking up, the candy giver was still smiling her wide, contagious smile. “Jae,” the candy giver stated firmly. The newly nicknamed child could only nod back unsurely.

---------------------

Holding their mothers hands, Jae and Jung followed their father into the too crowded room. Fitted into their new black ensembles, they found that practically everyone around them was also dressed in dark clothing. Junggie peaked past his mother’s skirt; he gave his sister and unsure look to which she returned a sad smile.

The small family reached the very front of the church where a small white vase sat. It looked porcelain with light blue doves etched into it. As soon as it was in sight their mother let go of their hands, her own flying to her face as she became overwhelmed. They watched as their father rushed to embrace her, and as her body racked sporadically as muffled cries emitted from behind her hands.

Frightened, Junggie immediately clung onto his sister’s arm. “Jae,” he whispers, “what’s going on? Why is mommy crying? Where is Miah? I thought we came here to see her mommy?”

Before Jae could reply, a hand landed on each of their heads. They looked up to find a familiar face. “Hello kids. Did you guys come to keep my Eunmi company? She’s right over there if you’d like to go sit down.” Glancing over to where he pointed, the two caught sight of a thin girl in a black velvet dress sitting on a pew with her knees pulled to her chest. One of her arms was in a sling and there was a ba

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter