Bunnies

Smashing The Hourglass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“We still haven’t found the artifact, and now that we know where my father is why aren’t we rushing to save him!?” Heather asked in frustration.

Jae stopped and so did the others. Glaring at the blonde, “I understand that you are worried about your father, and I totally get that you want to find that thing; we all want to get out of here too you know, but jeez, do you not see who Kris is holding! Do you not get why we need to do this first? Not everything is about you Heather.”

Miah placed a hand on her friends shoulder; her cool fingers settling the heated girl. “We will save your father,” she started, “and we will get the artifact and escape this place, but this needs to be done first. Have some respect.”

Having said her piece, she glances over at Kris, and the bluish female in his arms. She gave him a guilty look and turned to continue leading them down the abandoned road.

On the other hand, Jae also stared at the male holding his dead girlfriend. Even though it was a morbid sight, and the feeling around the group was sorrowful, she couldn’t help but feel a tad jealous and think upon their earlier conversation.

 

Jae watched Suho tend to her old friend. He placed a blanket over her frail form, then continued to puff the arm chairs only pillow. Even after everything he was still in love with her. Jae couldn’t fathom forgiving Miah so easily, not when she looked over at Kris’ red eyes, and his tan hand holding Yoona’s colorless one. her cracking lips, she gained the courage to go over and kneel beside him.

Kris said nothing, but shifted slightly in acknowledgment of her presence.

She hadn’t said much to him since he had woken up, only gave him a light hug at knowing he was okay, and regrettably brought him to Yoona. Someone had to inform after all, and of course he hadn’t taken it well.

When he first laid eyes on the form under the sheet he was confused. He hadn’t understood what was going on; not until he had looked around the room taking in its occupants.

Jae observed the exact moment when he realized the group was one girl short. She watched realization dawn on him; the surprise in his eyes and then the despair. She had seen his head snap toward the covered figure; watched as he fell to his knees and clutched at the edge of the sheet. She watched in pity as he slowly pulled it toward him, only enough to show the top of her soft hair. Jae heard the strangled cry escape him and watched as Kris let a hand fly to his mouth. She watched up until the tears began to fall and then she had to turn away. She had to cover her own mouth and force her own tears down. She understood exactly what he was feeling at that moment, more than anyone else in the room could, and she wanted to comfort him more than any of them, but she refrained. It was beyond inappropriate so she would not do that to the girl she hardly knew; to the one she didn’t necessarily like but could at least respect.

It was different now. Some time had passed, not much, but enough to mean something in this grey place. So she gained the courage to be by his side and admit what she had wanted to say for a while now.

“I’m grateful,” she began, then paused to take a deep breath. Bowing her head, she forced herself to continue, “I’m grateful you continued with your dreams when I couldn’t. I’m grateful you continued with your life when I didn’t.  I’m grateful you didn’t let our experience take over you the way Suho and I did. I’m grateful you would still meet up with us even after I broke up with you. I’m grateful you didn’t let my hate completely push you away. I’m grateful you brought up coming back when I wished to call the two of you every day since and beg you myself. I’m grateful you came with us even though we both know you didn’t want to. I’m grateful you’ve continued on, pursing this to the end despite it all. I’m grateful you aren’t yelling and blaming us for what happened to Yoona even though it was most definitely our fault for not making you send her away. But most of all….most of all I am beyond grateful that you are here, sitting next to me, alive and well.

I know it’s selfish. I know I shouldn’t be saying this to you right now, in front of her. I know that I should have said this, if at all, after we left this place, but with everything; with all we’ve been through I can’t wait a moment longer.” She looked up now, desperate gaze to his own. “Thank you Yifan, for never leaving my side even when I pushed you away and we both lived separately. Thank you for living even though you have to experience this pain. And thank you for not giving up when I was so ready to. I still don’t know how I can forgive Miah for all she’s done even if I see in your eyes that you don’t blame her for what happened to Yoona. I know I do, and some part of me even blames her still for Junggie.”

Swallowing, Kris reached out his free hand to squeeze Jae’s. “I can’t tell you not to be mad at her,” he said, “Because I’m mad too, but you’re right, I don’t blame Miah f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter