Heather Mason

Smashing The Hourglass
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ5qWistJPI&list=PLjjr7Wz3d2ah_jVv5lrMG6AwA3h3wRTAn

“It should be around here somewhere,” Jae mumbled from over Kris’ shoulder. They were driving slowly through a dark neighborhood littered with trash, ratty houses, and a gated playground. “Why don’t we just stop and ask around,” Suho suggests. Kris hums his approval and pulls up to a curb near a bus stop.

They get out and look around a bit lost. Where to now?

Suho coughs lightly into his hand and whispers, “Maybe you should lock your car.” Shifting his eyes around suspiciously Kris nods and clicks his car alarm causing a loud beep to rip through the silence of the neighborhood.

“Well…who should we ask? It's late, and I don’t really see anyone around,” the blonde male wonders aloud. Jae rolls her eyes in response, “That’s because you aren’t looking hard enough.” “Then who,” he slightly glares back. The black haired girl smirks and points to the other side of the gated playground, “There.”

The men look only to see nothing but boxes and pile of blankets. “You want to ask the trash heap?” Kris questions sarcastically. He earns a sneer in return, and Jae walking off without him. Suho follows with a shrug, and the blonde follows with slouched shoulders.

When they arrive Jae kneels with hands in her jacket pocket and coughs loudly. The kind of cough that doesn’t show sickness, but an attempt at attention. “Excuse me, sir?” she asks carefully. “Sir?” Suho mumbles confused.

A moment later the blankets shift causing both men behind Jae to jump in surprise. It wasn’t a trash heap after all, but a person. It’s a homeless man, they both think to themselves.

The scraggily haired man wrapped in blankets sits up and glares at the three intruders; his eyes screaming, ‘What the hell do you want?’ “I was wondering if you can help us. We’re looking for someone,” Jae says. The man only blinks in return, his scowl not leaving his face.

She her lips and continues, “I’m looking for a girl, just a bit younger than me. She’d be a foreigner and probably living alone with a middle aged man. They may be new to the area.” The man still says nothing causing Kris to become frustrated. “We aren’t going to hurt her. We just need some help!” he growls. “Kris,” Jae warns.

Suho steps forward and kneels next to her. His eyes focused on the man’s, he says, “He’s right. We really don’t want to hurt her; if anything we may be able to help. And…here.” He pulls out his wallet and hands the man all the cash in it: 50000 won. Jae smirks, smart.

The silent man slowly takes the money than nods to somewhere behind them. They all look and are met with the row of ratty homes. “That one there?” Jae asks while point to one. He nods, and they thank him with a bow.

Side by side they head toward the house the man pointed out. Looking both ways as they cross the street, they notice not a sign of life. The dark night and questionable neighborhood having kept everyone in.

Carefully taking the steps up to the front door, they look around again. “I have a bad feeling about this,” Suho says. Jae sighs, “We don’t really have a choice do we?” Kris and Suho bite their lips exchanging a quick worried look before nodding for the dark haired girl to go ahead.

Jae raised her fist to knock, but then tilts her head and goes for the knob instead. It’s unlocked. Bad feeling indeed.

“Maybe we should still knock,” Kris says with a hand on her shoulder. She gives him a skeptical look and shakes his hand off, walking in anyway. The blonde clicks his tongue and sighs, “Here we go.”

They stick together as they search the downstairs. Moving quietly they call out softly, “Anyone home? Hello?” They round a corner into the living room and are met with a white wall covered in red writing. “I-is that paint or…blood?” Suho asks queasy. “What do you think?” Jae glares at the wall. There is a weird circle with symbols in it, and COME TO SILENT HILL written next to it.

Kris his dry lips, “Do you think that is meant for us?” Jae bites her lip and shrugs, “Does it matter?” “Maybe we should check the upstairs. Even if no one is here we may be able to find a clue as to where they went,” Suho pipes in. “I think you went into the wrong profession,” the female smirks admiringly. 

The wooden steps creak under their weight; each step acting like an alarm of their presence. When they reach the top they silently agree to split up; Kris taking the first room on the right, Suho the left, and Jae the one next to it.

----------

Kris shakily opens the door of his assigned room. Inside is a simple bedroom with a semi girly bed, and a few knick knacks. He looks around, his eyes landing on a school journal on the nightstand next to the bed. He moves towards it, taking a seat on the bed and picking it up. He flips through it slowly, taking every weird sketch and doodle inside it. There are odd words here and pictures of creatures he was both familiar and unfamiliar with. His stomach dropped more and more with each page he turned to.

“It’s really happening isn’t it? We really are going back,” he whispers to the empty room.

----------

Suho shivers slightly as a cold breeze flits past him upon opening the door. He flips on the light to find himself in a small bathroom. It’s slightly gaudy in theme with robin egg colored tiles, and mint green decorations. Past the half open shower curtain a small open window peaks out.

He closes it, and relishes at the sudden warmth that rushes over him. It’s much more comfortable than the winter night outside.

Suho shifts around the small room not really needing to take more than a step or two to reach different areas. He searched through the medicine cabinet only finding some bandages and few bottle of pain relievers.

 In the closest behind him is nothing but towels and a hamper. Nothing. Should I take the medicine? Wouldn’t that be stealing though? But we may need it…

In the end he pockets two of the three bottles from the medicine cabinet, and decides to see if Kris found anything.

----------------

Jae swallows as she reaches the slightly ajar door. She hadn’t not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter