I can do as I please

In the Middle of Love and War

"I'm starting school in a few days." I said as we sat around and ate dinner.

"You're going to Hanji High School right? It's right around the block." Zico asked while stuffing his face.

"No, Seoul High School." I had been postponing telling him that I was going to start school in another neighborhood because I knew he was going to flip.

"WHAT? You can't go there!" He shouted and in the process he managed to spit out food towards me.

"Why not?"

"That's not our turf and the gang that controls that school is the one from the shoot out last year, the one's responsible for U-Kwon getting shot in the arm." He said in a serious tone.

"How is that relevant to me? It wasn't my fault you guys over stepped your boundaries."

"Do you even know who they are? Don't you know how dangerous they can be? Do you even know their name?"

"I don't care what their name is! I don't care about them!"

"What if they find out who you are, huh? What if they find out how important you are to us? What are we suppose to do if something happens to you and we aren't around to protect  yo-"

"I don't need your protection. Nobody knows me or who I live with so I'll be fine".

"Jin Hee you are the daughter of the biggest mobster in Korea, EVERYONE in our world knows who you are!" Zico was beginning to shout at me and I was starting to get irritated.

"I was the daughter of the biggest mobster in Korea, my father is dead now! And I will tell you again, this isn't the world I want to live in." I shouted back.

"You're not going there and that's final." Zico pounded his fist on the table. I had been holding back a lot over the years and I just couldn't take anymore.

"I am eighteen years old and I don't need your permission to do anything. I am going to Seoul High School whether you like it or not and that is the final decision." I stood up, got my jacket and walked out the door.

________________

I sat at a park bench, pulled my knees up to my chest and dug my face into them.

"There's a reason I don't want to go to Hanji High School. Everyone knows me around here, everyone is too scared to approach me." I started to mumble to myself. "How would you know? You never ask me how I feel about anything. Just telling me what to do and saying that it's because you care.." I said referring to Zico.

"Gwenchanayo?' I heard someone ask and when I looked up I saw a guy sitting next to me on the bench. I never realized someone had sat down.

"Nae." I replied.

"You're starting at Hanji High School?" He asked and I assumed heard me complaining earlier.

"Aniya, I'm going Seoul High School"

"Jinja? I'm going there too, what are you?"

"Third year and you?"

"Same here." He smiled and then I realized something.

"Hey if you go to Seoul High School, what are you doing around here?" I asked him.

"I was ..." He paused as if thinking of an excuse " just visiting a friend."

"Ahh." I nodded.

"What about you?" I looked at him confused and waited for him to further explain his question. "I'm assuming you live around here, why are you going to Seoul High School and not Hanji?".

"Oh, nobody likes me here." I wasn't lying when I said this, people were just too scared of me around here.

"Well I don't see why anybody wouldn't like you, you're a really nice girl." He replied.

"See now, how would you know that? I haven't done one nice thing for you and yet you assume I'm nice." I always over analyzed everything and sometimes people thought I was too much.

"I have good judgment that's all." He nodded.

"Hey, it's your call." I said looking out at the people around the park.

"Well I got to go but I'll see you the first day of school?" He said as he stood up and winked at me with a smile.

"Sure, see you then." I let out a half smile.

He began to make his way down the sidewalk when he turned back to me and asked "Hey what's your name?"

"Jin Hee, and yours?"

"Pretty name, I'm Jun." He smiled and waved goodbye.

"I guess I should go home too. Zico's probably over it by now." I thought out loud as I started walking "I should really stop talking to myself, it's becoming a habit".

______________________

When I opened the door to our place I immediately noticed it was too quiet. I made my way to the kitchen and saw a piece of paper folded on the countertop, I went over and and picked it up and read it:

Jin Hee,

Me and the gang went out to survey the area, news came in that some LC9 guys were

roaming around our region and we went to check it out. Make sure you lock up and stay safe

until I get home. If anyone knocks or comes up to our place, you know the drill.

See you soon,

Zico

"Yeah, I know the drill." I muttered. I locked up and headed to my room to get ready for bed. After I changed, washed my face, and brushed my teeth, I lay in my bed staring at the ceiling. In the distance I heard a sound that was all too familiar.

Gunshots.

"Please Zico, stay safe" and then I was off too sleep.

-------------------

Please leave comments, I love to read them :)

Comment, Subsribe, and Thanks for Reading ^^