Chapter 5

Frienemies...or More?

"Oh, shoot! I'm late," Juri said, as she ran down the block. She had woken up late and her parents already left for work. Junghwa was out with Jin since they both didn't have classes today. 

"Oh shoot, oh shoot, oh shoot!" She kept of repeating under her breath. She was nearing the school when she saw the gates closing. 

She sped up and yelled to the ahjusshi closing the gate, "Wait! Ahjusshi! Wait!" 

The old man looked up and stopped for a moment so that she could catch up and get inside. 

"You're going to be late if you don't keep running!" He called as she raced past him. 

She waved and turned back around to bow in thanks and greeting. 

"Thank you, ahjusshi!" She yelled as she was half way across the school yard. 


Jungkook sighed and set his head on the table, as his teacher lectured on and on about the lesson they were learning today. 

He glanced at the seat infront of him where Juri usually sat. He stared at it as he pondered where she could be. He knew she didn't like being late, ever. Jungkook shrugged and tried to listen to the teacher after he tried to think where she could have been. 

'There's no one to bother...aish, this class is so boring!' He thought to himself as he stretched in his chair. He turned to look at the window as he stretched and something caught his attention. 

It was a girl. 

He instantly straightened up and squinted, trying to get a good look of the girl's face. He continued to watch as she ran towards the gate and to the front entrance. He cocked his head to the side, he was sure he had seen that kind of run before. 

Then it hit him. 

Juri was late for school. Jungkook smiled brightly, knowing she was going to be at school and there was something he could about. 

Sure enough, five minutes later, the door opened to show Juri walking in with a note. The teacher was still lecturing and nodded in greeting. She bowed in return and turned to her seat. 

Jungkook quickly sat up straight and gave her a goofy smile. She raised an eyebrow but sat down in front of him. 

"You're finally here," he leaned forward and whispered. She quickly turned around and gave him a glare. 

"Shut it." 

Jungkook stared at her as she quickly jotted down the current notes on the screen.

"You can take my notes," he suggested to her. She nodded without looking back at him. He grinned happily knowing that he had someone to hang with for the rest of the day and it wouldn't be so dull. 

After class, Jungkook stood next to her desk as she gathered all her materials. 

"So...did you oversleep? Waah, first time ever!" Jungkook said as she walked past him. 

Juri sighed in annoyance, "Yes, I did oversleep. What's it got to do with you?" 

"Well, I guess you not only over slept, you woke up on the wrong side of the bed too." 

"Jungkook! Shush! You know I don't like being late!" 

He nodded as they went up the flight of stairs, "I know." 

"Exactly, and you know how I can be when I'm super pissed off, right?" 

He nodded again, "Yup, I know!" They walked up another flight of steps and he waved her off when they got to her class. 

"Juri-yah, I'll see you at lunch! Remember, you can't go ahead of me. I'm only in the pod over, so you must wait!" Jungkook called as he started to walk away. 

Juri waved nonchalantly, "Arasso, arasso." 

Jungkook gave a big wave again before running to class. Juri couldn't help but to smile brightly at his childness. 

"Okay, class. Turn your text books to page 95!" 


 

Juri waited for Jungkook after class, until Dahee popped up. 

"Juri-yah! I thought you would be at the lunch room already!" She said, huffing. Juri waited for her to catch her breath. 

"What were you waiting for?" Dahee asked after she stood up again. 

"Oh, um, no one. Let's hurry and go! I'm so hungry!" Juri dragged Dahee along with one last look behind. She slightly frowned wondering where Jungkook was. 

When they go to the lunch room, Dahee dragged her all the way to the normal table they sat at which was at the far side of the room. 

"Ah, I'm so hungry!" Dahee exclaimed taking out her lunch box. 

"You're always hungry!" Juri chuckled. Dahee shrugged in agreement as she took a bite of her sandwich. They ate together while talking about EXO, until they heard their names being called. 

"Dahee! Juri!" They both looked up to see Ah Ri coming towards them with of course her boyfriend and his friend, Dong Min. Juri sighed, "Not again." 

Dahee turned to her, "What do you mean 'not again'!?" 

"I'll tell you later." Juri replied as they came nearer and nearer.

"Annyeong! How was your day!?" Ah Ri asked. She was always somehow in a good mood. 

"Oh, we're great! The day went by well!" Dahee answered. 

"That's wonderful! Juri! It's nice to see you again! Where's Jungkook? Isn't he normally around you a lot. 

"O-oh, yeah. Um, I don't know where Jungkook is." 

But just as she had said that, he had entered the lunch room being dragged by V. 

"Aigoo, I am SO hungry!" He said as he dragged him to the lunch line where Jimin was waiting. 

"Hyungg~! Let us budge you!" V cried. Jimin looked at him and laughed, "Don't even try aegyo, because you know I'm the master at it." 

"But let us budge! I'm so hungry!" V continued to complain. Jimin laughed even more before sidestepping a bit to give them access. 

"Yay! Lunch!" V said, jumping in happiness. After grabbing their lunches, they started looking for a place to sit. Many girls were already offering their spots to them, but they politely turned them down. 

"Hmm, oh! There's Dahee!" V said as he pointed towards their table. Jungkook turned his head and squinted. He was sure that person was Dong Min. He furrowed his brows before walking over, not waiting for V or Jimin. 

"JURRIIII-YAAAHHH!" he called as he put a smile on his face. Everyone at the table jerked up their heads to Jungkook's direction. He noticed Dong Min slightly frown and he inwardly smiled. 

He walked up and purposely put his tray in the space between him and Juri. She gave him a small smile in greeting. 

"Hey, Dong Min, right?" Jungkook asked as he stuck out his hand towards him. Dong Min took his hand and shook it tightly.

"Yup. You must be Jungkook. I heard you were a total prodigy over at your old school." 

Jungkook shook his head, chuckling. "Haha, rumors move pretty fast huh?" 

Dong Min only nodded. V and Jimin finally joined them all as they were conversing with each other. They all ate in silence as they could feel the tension between Dong Min and Jungkook.

"So...Dong Min. What's your next class?" Jungkook asked, taking a scoop of his soup. 

"I have gym. You?" 

Jungkook smirked, "Same here. So does Juri." 

Juri looked at the two of them unsurely. Something was sure to happen in gym. 


"Okay, everyone three laps around the gym before we start the games!" The teacher shouted. Then he blew his whistle to signal the start. 

As soon as everyone started to run, Jungkook and Dong Min were up in the front competing with each other. 

"Woah, look at those two run!" Ah Ri exclaimed as she ran next to Juri. 

"I know right...I wonder what happened to make them compete like that..." Juri murmured, not taking her attention away from them as they past them.

"Hmm? You think something happened?" Ah Ri asked. Juri nodded, "Usually, Jungkook minds his own business about others...well, except for me. But y'know what I mean." 

Ah Ri nodded as they both ran to where they first began and got there at the same time. Dong Min stomped away in frustration since Jungkook was able to keep up with him for the whole run and they even got back at the same time. 

Juri kept her eyes on Jungkook to see his reactions and all he did was laugh it off. 

After the warm ups, the teacher got their attentions again. "Okay, everyone! Today we'll be doing basketball. I have already chosen five girl and guy captains. It will be girls versus girls and boys versus boys." 

Somehow, Juri, Jungkook, and Dong Min were chosen as captains. Juri glanced over at the two of them to see them both completely ignoring each other. 

The teacher had left one group of boys and girls to sit out, because there was an uneven number of teams. After two games, Juri's group sat out on the bleachers; waiting for their next turn. 

She turned her head as she heard a couple girls squeal. They were pointing at the court to the right of them where two boy teams were playing. 

Jungkook's and Dong Min's. 

Juri continued to watch, amazed at how intense it was. Dong Min had the ball and was rushing to the hoop, but he got intercepted by Jungkook. Jungkook now had the ball and then he made a three pointer. 

It was almost like the game was between only the two of them. All of their players were standing on the sidelines cheering on their captains. 

"Kyyyaaa~, Kookie Oppa is so hot! I just want to go down there and wipe the sweat off his pretty face!" one of the girls next to Juri said. Juri glanced at her and raised an eyebrow in question but stayed quiet. 

"Oh, fine! But then I'll take Dong Min oppa then! Look at how handsome he looks! Look at his muscles!" another girl yelled. 

Juri rolled her eyes, amused. If only they knew how awkward Dong Min could be and how mean 'Kookie' could be. 

In the end, they both ended with a draw. 

Juri quickly ran up to Jungkook to catch up with him. 

"YAH! Wait!" She said. She pulled his backpack after she was close enough. 

"What's up with you today?" Juri asked right away. Jungkook stopped, "What do you mean?" 

"Y'know what I mean! You're starting fights with Dong Min here and there! Plus, I know you don't get into other people's faces unless something really gets you." 

Jungkook scoffed and shook his head, "Nuh uh! Nothing happened anyway. I'm just having fun." 

Juri pulled his sleeve as he started to move away, "Fun? What do you mean 'fun'? It seems like a fist fight is going to start any moment! Haven't you seen the way he looks at you? It looks like he wants to kill you!" 

"So you're starting to pay attention to him now? Waah, i thought you said you didn't like him," Jungkook said to her, still looking forward.

Juri became flustered, "A-Ani! I'm just saying! Everyone can tell!" 

"So, you're starting to worry for me?" He asked, stopping suddenly. Juri bumped into his back, and he turned around. 

"E-Eh?" 

Jungkook bent down to her level, "Are you worrying for me?" 

Juri opened , but nothing came out. Before she could even say or think of anything to say, the bell had rung, signalling only one more minute to get to class. 

Jungkook turned back around and waved, "I'll see you at the end of the day!" 

Juri stood there watching his back as he climbed up the stairs. Once she could see him no more, she shook her head as if awaken from a trance and ran to her class. 

"Something is seriously wrong with that guy..." Juri murmured to herself before she entered her class.