Chapter Twenty-Four

Accidentally in Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Good morning oppa!” Seohyun raised her head from the thick book she’s reading and greeted Changmin merrily the moment he stepped into the living room.

“Good morning Makdoongie! You seem to be on your best mood today.” Changmin stretched his arms and walked towards the young girl.

“Neh, the university entrance exams will be on Sunday. I am very much excited.” She smiled widely.

Changmin walked over to where she was and gave her head a pat. “Aigoo, I think you are the only person in the world who sees examinations as an event looking forward to.” He laughed at the thought of it. “By the way, are you planning to stay here until Sunday? I mean, your parents must have been very worried of you. It's been a week already.”

“I'll just go home after the exam, oppa. Besides, Sooyoung-unnie has already informed them that I'm here. This is not the first time that this happened and I'm sure that this won't be the last.”

Seohyun said this in a matter-of-fact manner but Changmin knows that beneath the indifferent words is a hurt girl whose only wish is for things to get better.

“Don't say things like that Makdoongie. They love you.” he raised his hand and patted the young girl's head again. “They're just too busy being dweebs to notice that though.”

The maknae chuckled at this. “Neh oppa, do you know that Sooyoung-unnie usually says that exact same statement you said to me?” Seohyun's eyes sparkled as she looked at the boy in a teasing manner. 

“Speaking of that girl. Where is she?” Changmin changed the topic in an attempt to stop the stupid smile that is now spreading on his face.

“Ah, unnie...”

“Her side of the bed was already done. The house seems quieter so I assume that she’s not here.” He put his hands on his hips and pouted. “She didn’t even bid me goodbye!”

The young girl’s face split into a smile upon hearing the boy’s last words. “Oppa, unnie went out to sell fruits.”

“Fruits?”

“Neh. Do you remember the oranges we harvested the other day? The ones in the orchard near the edge of the woods?”

The boy nodded upon remembering. 

“What time did she leave? Has she eaten her breakfast? Did she leave any message for me? What time will she return? Did she bring some lunch with her?”

“She went out around seventy-thirty. Yes, she has eaten her breakfast. No, there’s no message for you. She brought three crates with her so I assume she’ll be back around three in the afternoon.” At this, Seohyun reached out to gather the pillows beside her. “Oppa, if you still have a lot of questions, I suggest you sit down first.”

Precisely that moment, Changmin’s stomach gave a low rumble but he sat down on the pillows just the same.

“Oppa, you don’t have to worry about your food. Unnie already prepared your breakfast and we’ll be having kimbap for lunch.”

“I am not worrying about my food, Seohyun-ah.” Changmin said with a smile. “Wait, why does it take hours for that girl to sell fruits? Is she not selling them by bulk to fruit vendors?” 

“She has this little stall along the main highway near the border to the next city. She doesn’t want to sell them to fruit vendors by bulk because she thinks that it will not help in her advocacy of promoting organic fruits and vegetables. If she will sell it by bulk, chances are these fruit vendors will sell it to the public in a much higher price. If that happens, consumers will look for cheaper ones regardless if the produce is inorganic or what.”

Changmin looked clearly amused with the young girl’s answer. “Who would have thought Sooyoung is capable of thinking about those things? Haha.”

“Sooyoung-unnie’s way of thinking is different than most people.” Seohyun beamed brightly before returning her attention to the book she’s reading.

“I guess that’s one of the reasons why you are drawn into her.” The boy said with a smile. “Anyway, have you eaten your breakfast?”

“I’m done already, oppa. Thank you for the offer. Unnie already prepared your breakfast. Eat well.” she waved her arms and motioned the boy to get up and go.

No sooner had Changmin left for the dining room, the sound of tires crushing on dry earth announced the arrival of Choi Sooyoung.

“Aigoo! What a surprising day!” the door opened revealing a jubilantly happy Sooyoung with a huge smile on her face.

“Woah, unnie you're early.” Seohyun checked her wristwatch as the tall girl slumped down on the floor. “I am pretty sure the cuckoo clock chimed ten a while ago and my wristwatch is also telling me the same.”

“Aaah Seohyun-ah, this day is full of surprises.” the older girl stretched her limbs and rolled on the floor. “It's a hot day and I will rest for a while before going back.”

“You're going--”

“YOU'RE GOING BACK?” Changmin finished Seohyun's question for her; he was carrying a bowl of samgyeopsal in one hand and was munching what might be what's left of the panjeon that Sooyoung cooked for breakfast on the other hand.

“Neh.” she answered lazily with her back still on the floor. “I have to bring another crate for that oppa.”

“OPPA?!” Seohyun's head snapped up to look at Changmin when the boy echoed her question. She swallowed a lump on and gave out a guilty smile upon seeing the tall boy's eyebrow quiver. Changmin swallowed what's left of the panjeon, turned his back towards them, and marched back to the kitchen.

Sooyoung remained unaware of what was happening and Seohyun could only give out a sigh for her unnie's extreme denseness.

“Yah, Makdoongie. I'm going now.” the tall girl sat up straightly and stretched her arms once more. “The sun is killing me but I've sold more than what I expected! I have to keep going and dispose the fruits before they become unfit for sale. Haha!”

“Unnie, you sound weirdly happy.” the young girl looked at her worriedly. “You know, weirdly happy. Like the 'weirdly happy' I feel whenever I see a random sweet potato stall in the wet market.”

“Of course, I am happy today. I sold as much as I could ever sell for three days!” She raised her arms in a dramatic manner and laughed wildly. “And do you know what that means my sweet little dongsaeng? I can throw a huge party for your birthday!” 

The younger girl looked up at her smiling unnie and wondered whether her sisterly adoration for her would ever end. She tried blinking back the tears that were now welling behind her eyes. If only her parents could be a little bit cooler like her four unnies, everything

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter