Chapter Sixteen

Accidentally in Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Changmin stared helplessly at his sedan the moment he got out of the house.

“What car?” Sooyoung smirked at him indignantly, her arms on her hips as she stood in front of the car.
“Darn. I forgot.”

“And you think you’re a genius for thinking everything’s already planned.” She scoffed. “How can we get married if your car is as useful as an empty water container in the middle of the Sahara Desert?”

The boy kept silent, obviously thinking about a way to resolve the problem.

“You should really thank the heavens for me. There are tools in my shed. Come.” She turned around and walked around the car with Changmin following behind her.

“Hey…” Changmin broke the silence between them.
“Hmmm..?”
“Your ankle. Is it okay, now?”
“Oh.” Sooyoung paused in her tracks and looked at her bandaged foot before looking back at the boy. “Yeah. I told you it was nothing.”
“But…”
“The pain is only a psychological reaction resulting from the shock. It’s not really painful.” She continued walking until they reached the edge of the woods.

“You have your shed here?” the boy looked at his surroundings and then his eyes darted back to the cottage where they both came from.

“It’s not too far.” Sooyoung turned left before the path going through the woods and walked along the edge of the woodland until she reached something which looked like a log-cabin. “You complain a lot, you know that?”

“I don’t mean that. It’s just that--- hey, this place is cool.” Changmin quipped as Sooyoung pushed open the large door of the shed. “Wow!” the boy stared in amazement when Sooyoung turned the switch and light flooded inside the cabin, showing the towering pile of crates on the left side of the shed. The right wall of the shed is adorned with framed decorations of different dried leaves and flowers. Beside it was a glass shelf full of every garden tool imaginable. A large tarpaulin was folded neatly near the foot of the shelf, half-hiding the fresh tire tracks imprinted on the floor. The whole shed smelled strongly of fruits and cut grass.

“Oh so you harvest fruits for a living!” Changmin quipped excitedly as he walked near the piles of crates. “And you have a bike!” he went near the mountain bike leaning on the wall to have a close look. “Gorgeous.”

“You’re like a kid.” Sooyoung laughed cutely. She walked towards the glass shelf, pulled out a large wooden drawer on the bottom part, and took out a large box of what might be mechanical tools.

“This bike is a beauty. Where’d you get this?”
“Appa gave me that as a graduation gift.”
“Awesome.” Changmin ran his hand on the handlebars, his eyes gleaming in excitement. “What’s this for, anyway? You already have a car.”

“It’s actually a truck. Not a car. And I only use it when I need it. Like when I carry these crates or when the girls are with me.” She walked near the boy who was still inspecting the bicycle in front of him. “Most of the time, I use the bike. I prefer it since I can go practically wherever I want with it. Economical too cause I don’t have to spend on gas.”

Changmin’s voice trailed away as he stood up. “I’ve always wanted to have one.”

“Oh? But you have the resources. You can buy one anytime you like.”
“Well yeah, that’s one. But I didn’t since I don’t really know where to use such. I can’t go biking all over the city or what.”
“Oh.” Sooyoung finally understood what Changmin was trying to say.

“Well, we’re far from the city now and there are a lot of beautiful spots you haven’t seen yet here.”
“I’ve seen the fields, and an orchard on the other side, on my way here.”

“That orchard you’re referring to is right next to these woods.” Sooyoung beamed brightly.
“Really? Can we go there sometime?” the boy asked excitedly.

Sooyoung continued talking as if she hasn’t heard a word from Changmin. “And there’s a small lake a few miles north of the orchard. My grandpa and I used to go camping there before. It’s a bit far and the road is difficult but the scenery makes everything worthwhile.” Sooyoung smiled warmly as she reminisced about the said place. “The last time I’ve been there was almost half a year ago.”

“Let’s go there sometime, then.”
“Neh?” Sooyoung looked at Changmin surprised.
“Let’s go there sometime.” He repeated.
“It’s difficult. The truck itself can’t reach the orchard, how much more the lake?”

She looked pitifully at Changmin but the boy answered back quickly.
“I’ll buy my own bike!” He smiled gleefully as he reached for the toolbox on the girl’s hands. “At least I now have a valid reason for buying one!” He kept talking until he stepped out of the shed.

He waited patiently outside the shed as Sooyoung turned off the lights and securely closed the door before walking back to where his car was parked.

Sooyoung went over his car, pulled open the hood, and started tweaking the engine.

“Hand me the wrench.” She stretched out her hand towards the boy.

Changmin stared at her disbelievingly, the box of tools still unopened in his hands.

“Yah! You don’t trust me? I have a truck, you know.”
“I trust you but it’s my car.” He nudged the tall girl aside. “Just take a bath already and prepare yourself. I don’t want grease marks on your fingertips for our wedding.”

Sooyoung refused to move and gave him a glare but Changmin remained adamant in his decision. The two stared at each other; neither showing any signs of defeat.

“And you have to prepare your personal documents.” He broke the silence but his eyes still fixed on the girl in front of her. “Go on, honey. Let me do this, okay?” He gaze softened as he reached out to tap Sooyoung’s right arm.

“Fine, fine. But you better be finished the moment I return.” She whisked away before the tall boy could say another word.

Changmin returned to work after the front door shut closed. He shook his head and gave out an amused laugh. What a stubborn girl! It would rain flowers the day someone could ever mellow her down.
 

 

“EARTH to Tiffany Hwang!”

Tiffany snapped back into reality and stared back into the worried face of her secretaryslashbestfriend.

“T-Taeyeon-ah!”

“So, are they really three-eyed and green-hued?” worried look immediately replaced by raw excitement.

“Huh?”

“The aliens! Duh!” the shorter girl palmed her forehead.

“Aliens?”

“Yeah, the aliens!” she put her hands up and made clawing actions into the air. “Since your mind is prolly out there in some weird galaxy! Tell me honestly, are you feeling fine?” she reached out to feel her best friend’s neck.

“Yah, Taeyeon-ah.” Tiffany pushed her friend’s arm gently. “I’m fine.” She said with a pout.

“You’re acting strange today Fany-ah.” She pulled a chair and sat in front of the pretty vice-mayor. “What’s bothering you?”

Tiffany just gave out a sigh and pouted as a reply.

“Oooh! I get it! Pre-wedding jitters!” Taeyeon’s eyes turned round with excitement as she put her hands together. She then stopped clapping when she saw her best friend’s poker face.

“What’s the problem?”

Tiffany gave out a sigh before replying. “Taengoo…” frustration all over her voice to which Taeyeon didn’t fail to hear.

Taeyeon reached out for her friend’s hands. “What is it?”

“It’s Siwon-oppa…” she put her hands on top of Taeyeon’s.

“I think I’m falling in love with him. Again.”
 


 

“STOP laughing!”
“I’m not laughing!” Sooyoung said in between giggles as she tried her best to divert her attention to the road.

Changmin rolled his eyes and continued driving; one hand scratching his neck in a futile attempt to ease the itchiness caused by the suit he’s wearing.

“Stop pulling the collar, you’ll stretch it!” Sooyoung swatted the boy’s hands away.
“It’s too tight! And it’s making me feel itchy!”

Ten minutes before they left the house, Sooyoung noticed that she has been terribly overdressed with her simple sky-blue shirtdress because Changmin was still wearing her baggy university shirt and strawberry-printed pajamas. Not to mention the tall boy still hadn’t had shower yet. She rummaged inside her grandfather’s trunk for a decent outfit and threw it towards the boy as he walked out of the shower.

“You sure it’s okay for your grandpa that I wear this?” Changmin asked in a teasing voice.
“That’s appa’s suit. You should be thankful it’s still in one piece.”

“When was the last time you washed this?” they reached the fork in the road leading to the city and the neighboring metropolis.
“Four years ago.” Sooyoung smirked at him.
“Darn! You owe me one on this!” he answered through gritted teeth, to which the tall girl gave out a laugh as a reply.

“But you look good with it, honey.” She winked at him as she put

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter