Nappun Namja

That Man

I feel good today. I choose to wear something fashionable to work today. Since there isn’t any ‘field work’, I won’t have to walk much. So, yeah. I feel like rocking something fashionable. I want to be in a good mood for work. I want to feel great. I want to feel all these great feelings despite what had happened last night.

I unlocked my door and walked into my office. As usual, a bottle of vitamin drink was on my table, ready to greet me. I stared at the drink and sighed.

He still has the courtesy to send me a drink after what he had said last night, I thought to myself. I grabbed the bottle and opened the cap. Took a couple of sip and put the cap back on.

I turned to look at the mirror by my desk. Great. How am I to hide these puffy eyes? If anyone asked, I’ll just say that I watched a really really sad drama on TV  last night. Yup. Hope people would buy that though.

I started to unload my bag and take out all the papers that needed to be completed. I tapped my pen on the papers. This is going to require more than mere effort. I cannot concentrate. My mind just wouldn't budge from the thoughts of my conversation with Kyuhyun last night. Well, it really was more of a fight. People don’t yell at each other in a conversation, do they?

Work is work, and so I tried my very best to be professional and complete what has to be completed. I looked at my watch. Half past noon. No wonder my tummy was roaring. I closed my eyes tightly and rested my head on the desk.

I’m so hungry but I really don’t feel like leaving the room. Jay texted me a while ago and asked if I’d like to go to lunch with him. How thoughtful of him. But of course I declined. Sorry, Jay. Not today.

With head still on the desk, I started moving my pen on the notepad, while my mind was busy recapping every single word Kyuhyun said last night.

“What are you doing?” I jumped out of my chair and as if it were a scene from Twilight, there he stood right next to my desk without me realizing when the heck he entered my room.

“Oh you scared me..” I said as my eyes closed and I swallowed hard trying to catch my breath.

“What are you doing?” he asked me again, exactly like a robot, expressionless.

“Kyuhyun-shi, I’m.. I’m resting. It’s my lunch time,” I answered nicely without trying to chock his throat for scaring me to death just now. He said that he is here so that I can complete the measurement form. “But it’s lunch time..” I said slowly and looked down. I heard a thump on my desk and looked up. There was a bag of packed lunch, completed with side dishes and drinks.

“Let’s eat and you can finish your work while we’re at it,” he said and started clearing my desk and took out the packed lunch from the bag.

“Oh. Ne,” I agreed as I really didn’t know how to respond to his behavior.

He started eating first. He seemed to be full of appetite. I looked at him hungrily and grabbed my chopsticks and put a piece of the rolled egg into my mouth.

I turned to the drawer under my desk and took out a measuring tape. There really wasn’t much to be done as most of the major ones had been done while we were at his house yesterday. I stood up and measured his shoulders from his back. I went back to the desk and scribbled the numbers on the form.

I sat down on my chair beside him and said, “can I have your hands? I have to..” and motioned that I wanted to measure his hands, arms, and wrist. He put his left hand on the table and continued eating with his right hand.

I started with his wrist, carefully. I don’t want to make much skin contact. “Why are your eyes puffy?” he asked all of a sudden. Oh no. He noticed? Should I use the sad drama excuse? I didn’t expect him to be asking. “You cried? Is that why you hung up on me last night? You cried your eyes balls out, didn’t you?” he bombarded. I kept quiet and looked at his wrist as I could feel the sting in my eyes.  “I don’t know why you cried, because you..”

“because I’m not like that!” I looked to him and the tears decided that they wanted to go for a roll down my cheeks. I quickly brushed them and continued my work. I sensed that he was surprised y my sudden reaction.

He stood still as I quickly finished taking the measurements and put the papers away. I sat down and gulped the food in front of me like there was no tomorrow. I didn’t know what I was feeling. I felt hurt by what he said. I felt angry. I felt sad. I felt misunderstood.

“Eat slowly..” he said and I tried to swallow the mouthful of rice down. He handed me the drink and I grabbed it from him.

I drank it and put it down. I took a piece of steamed chicken and said, “you should know that I am nothing like what you said last night. Nothing like that.” I put the chicken into my mouth and chewed as I can feel the tears stinging again. “ I..” and two more tears dropped onto my plate.

He stood up and went behind my chair. I could feel a soft cloth wiping my cheeks. I didn’t move. He placed his hand on my shoulders slowly and whispered into my ears, “mian..”. He rested his forehead between my neck and my shoulder and said, “I was wrong to judge you.. and I shouldn’t have said all those things.”

I turned to look at him as he sat next to me. I couldn’t believe my ears. Did the evil maknae just apologize to me? But my tears were really on parole today. They don’t seem to want to stop. “We didn’t do anything. It was just a peck on the cheeks. It was nothing..” I said slowly.

“ara. Araso..” he said and nodded. “Just, please. Stop crying,” he said as he wiped the tears off my cheeks again. “I don’t think I like to see you cry..” he said slowly. Without thinking, I crammed my head to his shoulder and tried to stop crying, only to have them coming down faster. I was sobbing.

I feel his hand slowly reached my back and patted me. He was trying to console me. Not long after that, his other hand was my hair. I felt calm.

The smell of his scent sent a fuzzy feeling to my heart. The warmth of his body made me feel comfortable. His arms around me made me feel secure.

I am now officially in the arms of Kyuhyun, without me realizing that. I wondered to myself why I was so emotional, when he had already apologized and all. Must be that time of the month, I thought to myself. But I like this feeling, whatever it is.

“Are you sure it was just a peck on the cheeks?” he asked as he attempted to tighten his arms around me.

“Yahh..” I looked at him and loosen myself from him. “It wasn’t on the lips for sure, okay?” I said as I tried to widen my now very very puffed eyes. He laughed and said that I shouldn’t try too hard or my eyes might burst.  I gave him a smirk.

He left my room after we cleaned the desk and all was fine. I’m glad that we resolved last night’s matter. After I had told him that Jay kissed me, he called me on poured out a lot of bad words. He even accused me of doing stuff with Jay and that got me fired up. As he had said, I cried my eye balls out last night, hence the swollen eyes.

As I was about to start my work again, in came a text message..

 

Cho Kyuhyun

 

I should have kissed you

when I had the chance just now.

 

I ignored his text and instead mentally answered, on the cheeks or on the lips?

I’m sure he’ll flip inside out if I ever did reply to him like that. Kkk..