A Ghostly Sadness

30 Day Challenge

Day 14 July 20th

 

I had died here. Almost two hundred years ago, and I remained behind, a lost memory that faded with time. The building was torn down and a new one replaced. I couldn’t leave the area, and so claimed it for my own. One room in particular. As the apartment was being built, I claimed room 203, and rest there now and always. I saw people come and go. I saw the happy couples, the sad and lonely, and even the strange, mysterious, and unique.

 

But then one day I saw him. I watched him move in and learned his name was Donghyun. He had two younger twin brothers that helped him move in, but he caught my attention. I loved the way his voice sounded and how well defined his body was. I loved everything about him. And that’s why I chose to protect him.

 

I don’t know how it happened, but I got attached to him, and when he moved out, I could feel myself moving with him. I took in a good view of the new world around me. Many things had changed in this world, but the people and the culture remained. We pulled up to a new house and I gasped at how big it was. Donghyun must have been saving up for this for the past few years he had lived in the apartment building.

 

With the help of his always complaining twin brothers, Donghyun got settled in fairly quickly and I quickly found my new favorite spot. In a nice little hidden niche by the front door.

 

The first time he noticed I was even there was by accident. He had brought home a girl and she had annoyed me, for Donghyun was mine. I had ended up breaking a glass vase that sat on a table behind the couch, and scared both of them while they were watching a movie.

 

Over time, I learned to try and control my emotions, and I grew to like Donghyun’s girlfriend too. I watched as they would have happy times together and tried to not break anything when they fought. But then one day, she broke his heart and left him. Donghyun lay on his bed for days trying to cope with heart ache. Even I was so upset that I built up enough emotion to actually touch him. He had whipped his head around quickly and stared with eyes glassy from tears, and for a moment I thought he could see me, but then he laughed a little emotionless laugh and began to sob again.

 

I stayed away from him until he was better and even then kept my distance, not wanting to startle him again.

 

A year passed, before Donghyun brought his next girlfriend home, this one all about getting into Donghyun’s pants. The relationship ended quickly with Donghyun dumping her when he couldn’t take anymore of her childish acts.

 

Two years past after that, and Donghyun was growing lonely. I knew he was sad and thus stood beside him and laid my hand on his shoulder. Once again, he reacted only this time, all he did was tense up. Retracting my hand, he relaxed again and then a slight smirk appeared on his face.

 

Two months later and a strange woman wearing traditional clothing came into the house. She could see ghosts, and I was excited that maybe I could finally tell Donghyun my name at least. But she was a fraud, as she walked around the house, communicating with the spirits while I stood right in front of her and waved my hands. To try and get Donghyun away from the liar, I threw an object from the other side of the room. Donghyun just laughed slightly and then politely asked for the woman to leave.

 

Over the next two years, he brought in several different people, but all were fake. I would move an object in one room, and then Donghyun would ask them to leave. But I could tell he was still lonely. So one day, he brought home a cat.

 

The cat looked at me, and I bent down to pet it. It purred softly and Donghyun smiled and walked by, leaving me to spoil the cat. Life began to become happier, but Donghyun still had a permanent sad aura around him.

 

Then one day, he brought home a mysterious girl. A girl who he had saved from the streets. A brutish girl, who clashed with Donghyun in almost every way, and then I saw it. A faint glow coming from them as I realized they were meant to be. I became extremely sad, and caused several things to break before I reigned it in. The girl looked shocked, and Donghyun was mildly amused.

 

“I have a ghost, can you live with that?” Donghyun asked.

 

“I guess,” she said her voice wavering a little bit.

 

It was a year after this that they were married and two more after that that they had their first child. They were so happy, and I was happy too, singing to the baby and getting to see its smile. They had three children in all.

 

One of their children died in a car crash when he was only 17. The girl became a brain surgeon and saw the family often, and the last became distant, only calling his parents a few times a year until even that eventually stopped. They were sad at this, but not for long as their daughter now had children of her own, and filled the grandparents’ life full of joy.

 

All throughout their life I watched them. Happy, sad, loving, and tiring, growing old and slow, but still I loved him. I could still remember him as he was when I first saw him, and he still had the same smile on his face.

 

Forty-three years of marriage was given to them before Donghyun’s wife finally passed. She lay in the nice coffin while Donghyun pampered her cold body, giving her all his love until he could no more. And I stayed beside him, laying a hand upon his shoulder and knowing he could feel it, but still not saying a word.

 

Five years passed, and his health was failing, he insisted on living at home and so his daughter had gotten him a live in assistant. He flirted and told jokes, and the assistant said she had never met such a nice old man. I liked his assistant.

 

Then it was the night. I sat by his bed side, laying my hand on his gently, knowing I watching his final moments.

 

“I love you..g-ghost...w-whoever you m-may be…” he said with his last breath and then the final deep sleep took him.

 

“My name…” I took a deep breath trying to keep the sadness from filling my voice, “Is Minwoo..” And then I let out the sobs I had been holding back.

 

“Well Minwoo,” said a voice I never thought I would ever hear again, “Shall we go?”

 

Looking up slowly, tear tracks still apparent on my cheeks and eyes glassy from the tears, I saw him, as I had first seen him, so many years ago. He smiled at me, and all I could do was let tears of happiness slide down my cheek and take the hand he held out as we disappeared from this world.

 

 

A/N:

 

I can’t lie, I cried while writing this. You my readers may not cry at all, but it’s just that thing where you put yourself in the feeling and whatnot and then BAM! You end up crying. So tissues for all of you who cried, and a list of my usual things, as well as a poster of your favorite band in the mail.   *chuu~   ^_~