Longing, Planning, and Scheming

Love Covers a Multitude of Sins

November 3, 2014

Bundled against the elements, Ilana had been waiting on the rooftop for her phone to ring.  Even if it was a mild sixty, for her anything under seventy was all the same.  But she didn't want to take the call in the cafeteria.  She was rewarded for her patience with the sound of Kim HyunJoong's 'U'.  She had assigned that as Jihoo's ringtone ever since he told her it reminded him of her.  "You're late!"  She pouted.  The call should have come in fifteen minutes prior.  A chuckle answered her.

 - "Mianhae, sarang, Na wasn't the one flying the plane.  Na literally just stepped off the plane and Naega headed for customs.  Did you sleep well?"

 - "Anieyo," she hadn't really.  She had slept well after Jihoo had left for the airport but woke anxiously shortly after four and couldn't go back to sleep.  "Na woke up at four.  I must have had four A.M. in mind because that's the time you were landing in Seoul."

 - "Nae sarang, remind me not to tell you what time I'm landing next time."

 - "Deh, na will be awake all night."

 - "Ah, Ilana-yah, what am I going to do with you.  Na will have to kidnap you and bring you with me."

 - "Na think Unnie is anticipating that very thing, that's why I'm no longer your admin."

The newlyweds had returned after three weeks.  Kim SungRyung had called a meeting first with Abigaíl and Ilana, then the entire staff.  She explained to them it was in their best interest not to be working directly with their husband and boyfriend.  They were given the option to move floors, but they both decided to remain in critical care.  Ilana was very disappointed, but Jihoo agreed with SungRyung, it was for the best.  They would have more freedom to take time off together.

 -"Do a good job for Dr. David.  You can help ShiYoon on the weekends.  I'm sure he'll appreciate it."

 - "Greomyo!"  Ilana had responded.  She had a good rapport with all the Doctors.  Unfortunately, she'd had also had to have a consultation with each of them for something or other.  Ilana sighed heavily.

 - "Wae?" He said softly.

 - "Bogoshipo already."  This time he would be gone an entire seven days.  It was going to be a long week without her companion.  Because of Jaejoong's honeymoon, he didn't go home in October and he said he wouldn't be having a board meeting in December.  Which is why this month he would be gone an entire week.

 - "Ara, Sarang, call me or text me when you get ready for bed."

 - "Deh, Sarang, saranghaeyo."

 - "Na do saranghaeyo."

Hardly touching her lunch, Ilana moped her way down the stairs, back to her floor.  She ran into Abigaíl and her husband coming from the elevator.

 - "Chica, where did you go?"  Abigaíl asked.  "Weren't you going to take a call and then eat with us downstairs?"

 - "Sorry, my call ran longer than I anticipated.  I ate already."

 - "Someone's missing her namja chingu already," Jaejoong teased.  Ilana could only smile at the truth.  "Yah, don't pine away to nothingness while he's gone."  He did notice the last few times Ilana definitely had a slight weight loss during Jihoo's absence.  It was usually noticeable in her face.  She tried to hide it with makeup but he'd dated enough models to know the tricks.

 - "I won't."  At least she'd try not to.  They began to walk back to the nurse’s station.  "Abigail’s been showing us the pictures of Maldives.  It's beautiful and I’m sure you guys came back refreshed."

 - "Mmm," he gave his wife a meaningful smile.

 - "Newlyweds!"  Ilana threw her hands up and walked off, leaving Jaejoong laughing.

 - "Hey!"  Abigaíl swatted at him.  "Don't be leering at me at work."

 - "I wasn't leering," Jaejoong said.  He looked around to see if anyone was coming and then pulled his wife into the stairwell.

 - "Hey!"

Standing behind the door, Jaejoong kissed his wife quickly, yet passionately.  Coming down from the adrenaline rush, "God, yeobo drives me crazy."

 - "Jaejoong!  Are you crazy?"

 - "Didn't I just say I was?"  He winked at her.  "Kaja," he took her arm and led her out the door.  "It's a good thing you hadn't reapplied your lipstick.He loved seeing his wife flushed.

When Abigaíl sat back in her chair, Ilana looked at her curiously, but Abigaíl pretended not to notice and started working.  Ilana just shook her head.

At five P.M. Ilana yawned and stretched.  It was the first day for all of them working with their new Doctors.  Dr. David's patient load was as busy as Jihoo's but in a different way.  She mainly worked on coding Jihoo's patient files as his specialty was required by other Doctors or surgeons.  Often times they weren't his own patients but those of the other Doctors on the floor.  Dr. David saw patients all day long.  Ilana was constantly getting up to set up or update new patient files.  "I'm done, chica," Ilana said.  "ShiYoon, I didn't realize you were actually working while you were being chatty."

Shi-Yoon laughed.  "Na think my pants are glued to my chair, I don't think I've left it all day."

 - "I don't know what you two are complaining about," Uee said.  "My workload didn't change."

 - "Mine didn't either," Abigaíl said.

 - "Anae, are you ready?"  Jaejoong appeared out of nowhere.

 - "Es un genio (Is he a genie)?"  Ilana asked Abigaíl.  "He wasn't here a second ago."  Both girls laughed.

 - "My magic is only for nae anae," Jaejoong bowed.

 - "Mollah (whatever), Dr. Jaejoong."  Ilana shook her head.  "I'll walk out with you.  I'm going to get Sushi for dinner.  See you tomorrow guys!"  Ilana waived at Uee and ShiYoon, who were also getting ready to leave.

 - "See you!"  Abigaíl also waved.

 - "Ilana-ssi doesn't feel like cooking for one?"

 - "Deh, I'm being lazy today."  It was true she only ate breakfast and sometimes lunch on her own.  Dinner was almost always with Jihoo.

Abigaíl looked to her husband with pleading eyes.  He immediately understood.  "Ilana-ssi, would you like to come have dinner at our house?"  He smiled at the word 'our'.  He always felt it was his parent's house but now with Abigaíl and Isabel, he could also take ownership of the house.

 - "That's sweet of you to ask but I'm a little tired from getting the hang of my new workload.  Maybe another day, if that's okay."

 - "Sure, chica, or even when Dr. Jihoo comes back, you guys need to come over."

 - "Deh, there was a time; Jihoo was over quite a bit.  Then Ilana came to work at the hospital."

 - "Deh!  Blame me."  She laughed.  "Actually, it's Hyeongbu who fell in love with Abigaíl Unnie."

By this time they were already in the elevator and arriving on the first floor, still laughing over their teasing.  "Seriously, chica, have dinner with us one night.  Maybe on the weekend.  Sunday!  Come to the restaurant, at least."

 - "Okay, I will."

Ilana went off in the direction of the restaurant and Jaejoong and Abigaíl to the Dodge Journey.  "She really misses him," Abigaíl said, watching Ilana cross the street.

 - "Deh, she really loves him but I don't like that she skips meals when he's gone."

 - "You notice that too?"

 - "Deh, just the last month or two."  He knew her history with depression, whereas his wife didn't.

 - "I'll make sure to pray for her health."

 - "Deh, that would be a good thing," Jaejoong pecked his wife's lips, before leading her to their SUV.

Ilana bought way too much food.  A fifteen-piece sashimi with rice and soup, plus an unagi and avocado roll.  Once she arrived home and spread out her dinner, she realized Jihoo usually ate half of the fifteen pieces.  It seemed like it had been a long time since she purchased food for herself.  "Joy!!!  Goyangi!  Come here chiquita gatita bonita (cute little kitty).  Ajussi isn't here, so you get his half."  Ilana placed two pieces sashimi on the plastic lid of the takeout container and put it on the floor under the table.  "Except for the salmon, that's all mine."  She and Jihoo usually fought over the salmon.  Occasionally she'd give in and let him have the extra piece but mostly they'd cut it in half.

Ilana laughed at the suddenly ravenous lioness in front of her.  "Joy-ah, slow down, it’s dead already."  She took her phone and snapped pictures of the food and Joy.  "I'm going to send these to Ajussi."

Ilana:  Joy and I are eating salmon and thinking of you.  ;)  Saranghae.  Ke Ke Ke

Hitting send, only then did Ilana realize the date.  "Oh no!!!"  It was November third, "Young...Saeng's...birthday..." she said slowly.  She hadn't heard from her favorite Oppa since that horrible letter back in April.  Suddenly having lost her appetite, Ilana gave Joy a few more pieces of sashimi.  The rest she stored in an airtight container in the fridge.  Throwing on her workout clothes, she decided a walk would be good, hoping it would numb and exhaust her.  Guilt also set in, she'd been so swept up with Jihoo that she's hardly thought of him.  "Saengil chuka hamnida.  Oppa, jaljinaeyo (How are you).  Oppa, bogoshipo, chincha!"  She mumbled to herself while walking.  "Oppa, I didn't expect it...I didn't look for it but...Prince Charming swept me off my feet."

"What if in three years from now, Prince Charming hasn't swept you off your feet…?”

Ilana heard Young Saeng's voice as if he were standing next to her.  "Mianhae, Oppa.  I never wanted to hurt you, will you hate me?  Do you hate me?"  Ilana was at risk of breaking down in sobs there on the street, so she began to run.

She managed to keep the pace as she went around the entire block before her lungs were going to give out.  She slowed back to a fast walk.  It was really dark out, like her mood at the moment.  Back in front of her building, she began to laugh.  Thankfully no one really saw her or they'd think she was crazy.  Quite often she thought she was, even if Jihoo said she wasn't.  "Oppa, remember when I fell and sprained my knee?  Maknae and I poured all those leaves on your head?  You know what?  I'd do it again, sprained knee and all.  You know, Jihoo Uissa and I kinda started getting close after that.  He's my friend, just like you but we share a common bond and it was hard to ignore.  I didn't expect him to love me too.  I would've been perfectly happy loving him on my own.  Oh Oppa, I miss talking to you."  Thinking of his voice and his piano skills, she said, "Jihoo hums for me when I'm troubled or plays the violin.  He's the violinist we heard that day, I never told you."  Ilana sighed and stopped walking.  It was getting late and she'd gone well past the twenty minutes her 'healthcare team' allowed her to exercise.

Ilana had gotten her things ready for the next day, showered, and was in bed before nine.  She knew she'd pay for her three mile-walk in the morning.  Thinking Jihoo should be breaking for lunch soon, she sent another text.

Ilana:  Bogoshipo, Sarang.  Jalja.  <3

Still restless an hour later, she decided to make a call. 


Seoul, Republic of Korea November 4, 2014

KyuJong had just seen his last recruit before his lunch break.  There was never a dull moment at the recruitment center.  At least one man per day tried to fake his way out of serving his mandatory military service.  "I'm heading out to lunch," he told his assistant.  He wasn't quite as efficient as Suzy but what could he do?  He smiled and shook his head, those carefree days were over.  JungMin and Suzy were married, living in Los Angeles.  YoungSaeng, Maknae and he were serving military duty.  HyunJoong...he sighed.  HyunJoong narrowly survived a public lynching.  Thankfully, he had trusting and loving fans to take care of him.  Next on his prayer list was Ilana, the depressed young woman he took under his wing almost two years prior.  He headed for the cafeteria.  Ilana's new caretaker wanted to meet him for dinner.  Dr. Jihoo had just arrived that morning and requested a dinner meeting.  It seemed to KyuJong, he'd been placed on the other Doctor's priority list.  He was curious as to why.  Harabeoji and JanDi came by from time to time with a picnic box for him but he hadn't had any contact with Dr. Jihoo since he enlisted almost four months ago.

KyuJong's lunch hour was interrupted by his phone ringing.  Even more surprising was the caller.

 - "Yeobosayo?  Ilana-yah?"

 - "Yeobosayo, Oppa"

 - "Gwenchana?  Isn't it late?"

 - "Jogeumyo.  Jaljinaseyo?"

 - "Always busy but it makes the time go by fast, how about Ilana?"

 - "Na do, busy.  We had our assignments switched around at work.  It was our first day.  Jihoo's in Seoul right now."  Ilana didn't really know why she brought that up.

 - "Deh, ara."  He wondered if he should tell her about his dinner meeting later.  "He called to see how I was doing."

 - "Oh, chincha?"

 - "Deh, so, the question is jaljinaseyo?"

 - "Jaljinae (I'm fine), Oppa."

 - "Chincha?"

 - "Kind of..."

 - "Spill it..."

 - "Anieyo Oppa, I just..." she was petting Joy, who was giving Ilana lots of loving since she gave her all that sashimi.  "...I just...realized the date."

 - "What about the date?"  But then he remembered she was still a day behind.  "Ah."

 - "How is he Oppa?"

 - "Choayo, he's calm.  He's been doing performances with his Hongbodan police unit.  In fact, they are on YouTube, you can watch them.  He asked Maknae and me to join him on a project soon.  We're just waiting for all the authorizations to come in."

 - "Choah,” Ilana let out a shaky breath.  She was so relieved.  "He's got a beautiful voice, maybe you'll all get recording contracts after."

KyuJong chuckled.  "Mmm, hajiman I already have a job waiting for me.  In fact, I'm taking a business course."

 - "Daeback!”  She took a deep breath and asked:  “Oppa, does he hate me?"

He sighed into the phone.  "Does Ilana really not know him?  Disappointed in you or in him, maybe.  But hate you?  Never.  He needs to put distance between you two, both physically and mentally, so he can conquer those feelings.   You know that he feels things deeply."

 - "Deh, Oppa.  I...had a one-way conversation with him earlier.  I told him I never wanted to hurt him and I miss talking to him."  She wondered if she should mention Jihoo.

 - "Has Ilana been taking care of herself?  Don't lie to Oppa, I'll hear about it tonight when I see Jihoo Uissa."

 - "Chincha?  You're meeting him tonight?  Aren't you a little far from Seoul?"

 - "Deh, I suppose he wants to see how I'm doing.  Na think he has high expectations from me.  Hokshina (Perhaps), I should be nervous.  Ilana can put in a good word for me when he gets back."

It was Ilana's turn to laugh.  "Anieyo, Jihoo is daeback.  He's...so good to me and Na don't deserve half as good the treatment he gives me.  Just like I didn't deserve you and Na chingu-deul.  If he can see something good in me, when...there's not that much...Oppa, Harabeoji and Jihoo must have seen really good things in you to offer you the running of the clinics."  Ilana felt herself getting emotional.  Every time she thought of Jihoo's love, she wanted to cry.  It was overwhelming.

KyuJong heard the glowing words Ilana spoke.  "Yah, Ilana-yah, is...there... something you're not sharing?"

 - "A-anieyo," Ilana suddenly panicked.  What would he think?  "O-ppa, it's getting late and you know I need eight hours sleep to function, so..."

 - "Ilana-yah...should I tell him anything?"

 - "Andwae!  He'll be upset."  She heard KyuJong sigh on the other end.  "KyuJong Oppa, jeongmal!  He doesn't want to hear from me until he's done with service, remember?  Maybe even not then."

 - "Arraso."

 - "Promise?"

 - "Ani."

 - "Oppa!!!"

 - "Go to sleep, let me worry about this and everything else."

 - "Mworago?  Everything else?"

 - "Just the thing with HyunJoong Sunbae.  He tried to keep it from us but it's not like we're completely isolated from the media."

 - "What thing?  I got sick and then well, things happened and there wasn't time to plan a trip to Mexico for the concert."

 - "Ah, amugeotdo anieyo - a bunch of lies.  Gwenchana."  He didn't want Ilana worrying.  If she didn't know about it at there was no need to bring it up.  The fact that she didn't know meant she didn't look at online media.  By staying quiet himself, they stood a better chance of her not finding out.

  - "Should I call him and see if I can help in any way?  Shouldn't he be suing for slander?  Maybe Jihoo can help?"

 - "Gwenchana, you know how he is.  He'll want to handle this himself."  KyuJong was now even more curious why Dr. Jihoo wanted to speak with him.  Ilana just offered to ask him for help on HyunJoong's behalf.  Something was definitely up.  "Ja (sleep)!  Na don't want to be scolded for making you late for work."

 - "Deh Oppa, naega a little tired.  Jalja."

 - "Jalja."  KyuJong was getting more and more intrigued about his meeting tonight.  Something told him it wasn't about the running of the clinics.

Jihoo was running late.  He had dinner reservations at six with Kim KyuJong.  It was over a two-hour drive to Jeonju.  These year-end meetings were very time-consuming.  He had cleared his schedule for the next two months and that was where the delay was.  Closing out the year and starting the next year.  He'd have to be there for the benefit concert and gala but that wouldn't be a problem.  It was scheduled for the beginning of his visit next month.  It worked out very well.

He had received Ilana's two texts and regretted not being able to respond.  It was past one A.M. in New York and didn't want to disturb her sleep.  He hoped she was sleeping sound enough at this point and wouldn't hear her text alert.

JihooSarang, nae sarang.  Mianhae!  I just finished a board meeting and directors meeting at the conservatory.  I didn't have lunch and Sarang gives my sashimi to goygangi.  Ilana owes me.  On my way to a dinner meeting, now.  Jalja, Saranghaeyo.  Bogoshipo.  Call or text when you wake up.  Na will be looking forward to it.

New York, NY

Ilana woke with a start, she was shaking.  Rubbing her face, she realized it was wet with tears.   She had been crying and was afraid but didn't understand why?  The sound of her heart beating too fast echoed inside her ears, she had to calm down.  Ilana had drawn up her legs when she sat up and Joy rubbed against them.  Petting the cat and doing breathing exercises, she was able to calm herself a little.  "Mianhae Joy, I'll lay back down in a little bit.  I-I don't know what happened.  What was I dreaming about?"  It took her sometime before she felt herself calming down.  She had just lay back down and heard her phone beeping.  She took it from the side table, unable to ignore it or go back to sleep with it beeping.  "Jihoo-ah," she smiled.  It was almost three in the morning.  She really shouldn't call him back, he was busy.  At the same time, Ilana felt like she wouldn't get back to sleep unless she heard his voice.

Seoul, Republic of Korea

Of course, there was traffic on the way to Jeonju.  Jihoo was thankful he'd engaged the driver to take him.  He had too much scheduled in one day and was already tired.  His life in New York was calm in comparison.  Leaning his head back, he thought of Ilana.  Surprisingly, she kept him calm.  How many times did he used to sleep in his office or skip meals?  Now he had to go home early and take meals on time if he wanted her to do the same.  Depending on the result of this meeting, he'd be sending a letter to the hospital director.

Jihoo's phone was ringing and he answered it through his blue tooth, eyes still closed.  "Yeobosayo?"

 - "Sarang."

 - "Sarang?  Gwenchana?  What time is it?"  Of course, he was happy to hear her voice but worried at her calling him in the middle of the night.  Something in her voice wasn't quite right.

 - "Dehhh, I woke up and when I checked the time I saw your message.  Joy and I will treat for lunch when you get back."

 - "Gwenchana?  Chincha?"

 - "Deh, na wanted to hear your voice.  I couldn't wait until the morning."

 - "Ilana is already falling back asleep.  Call me in the morning; I should be done with my dinner meeting by then."

 - "Bogoshipo," Ilana yawned.  Her eyes were getting heavy again.

 - "Nado bogoshipo.  Saranghaeyo."

Jihoo terminated the call with a smile on his face and Ilana went straight to sleep.  Before exiting the car, Jihoo checked his appearance to make sure it was in order.  He wore both tie and cufflinks Ilana had given him.  Having arrived slightly ahead of schedule, he gave his name to the host and sat to wait for his meeting partner.

KyuJong arrived at the restaurant and ducked into the restroom in order to make sure his own attire was in order.  He was certain this wasn't a casual meet and greet.  Appearance in order, he went out to see what the second wealthiest Korean would ask of him.

Jihoo stood to greet KyuJong as soon as he spotted him walking towards him.  "Annyeong hasseyo," he bowed and shook KyuJong's hand formally.  "Kansamnida for meeting me on such short notice.  I'm glad you were available.  I never know how my schedule can change while I'm in the country.”

 - "Gwenchanayo, I'm usually free after my schedule."

 - "Jaljinaseyo?  Military life suits you?"

 - "Jaljinaeyo.  It's a little different than the ship."  He said.  "I have to say I'm surprised at your visit."

 - "Na...wanted to touch base with you.  Our offer has not changed."  He was really going to need KyuJong when he was done with his military service.

 - "Kansamnida, naega looking forward to working with all of you again.  I took your advice and am taking a few business courses."

 - "Daeback!"

 - "You'll be ready to go at the end of these twenty months.  Naega anticipating needing your help greatly."

 - "Alguesubnida, Jihoo Uissa would like Harabeoji to retire."

 - "Harabeoji will never retire as long as he has breath to live.  Nae time will be conflicted and if I can handle board meetings only and not oversee the clinics it would be a huge relief."

 - "Na will do my best, Uissa."

 - "Arrayo, na also have something of a personal nature to ask you..."

Two hours later KyuJong and Jihoo parted ways.  KyuJong smiled as he headed for his dorm and Jihoo felt hopeful, if not necessarily at peace.


New York, NY November 5, 2014

 - "What are you doing with all your extra time?"  Abigaíl asked as she and Ilana logged out of their computers.

 - "The day and evening drag," Ilana shamefully whined.  "Actually, it's just the evening that I don't know what to do with myself.  Other than when he's away on business, I can't remember the last time I had dinner by myself."

 - "You realize you've been like this for months."  Abigaíl teased.  "Have you been staying up late talking on the phone?  You look tired."

Ilana knew some of her makeup had rubbed off.  It was heavy-duty but not when you keep touching your face to stay awake.

 - "We talk or text at least twice a day, sometimes more.  I think because the temperature has dropped, I'm waking up in the middle of the night."

 - "Put another blanket on the bed, girl."

 - "I know, I just have to get one down.  Okay, I'll see you tomorrow."  Ilana walked off on her own; Abigaíl was heading to the medical offices to pick up her husband.

Once home, Ilana decided to go for another long walk.  She hoped if she got herself tired enough, she could sleep through the night.  After her walk, Ilana made herself enchiladas and salad.  Quite an undertaking for a weeknight but she needed to keep herself busy.  By the time she'd finished her walk, dinner, and dishes.  She was exhausted.  It was past nine when she finally showered; blow-dried her hair and got her clothes laid out for the morning.  She sent her good night text to Jihoo.

IlanaSarang, What are you doing?  I'm sleepy.


Seoul, Republic of Korea November 6, 2014

Jihoo and Harabeoji took the morning off to do some fishing.  It was their favorite outing to talk about many things.  Generally, Harabeoji like to tell Jihoo stories of his parents.

 - "Harabeoji," Jihoo started.  He had his eyes fixed on the lake.

 - "Deh?"

 - "Na...would like to bring Ilana back for the Su-am Cultural Foundation Gala next month."

 - "Deh, is there something else?"

 - "Mollah, perhaps."

 - "Will she come?"

 - "Mollah, hajiman Na think so."

 - "Na look forward to seeing her again."

 - "Saturday, I'll go out to Lotte Duty-Free and purchase a gown for her. He smiled to himself.  She was going to kill him for spending money on her.  "Harabeoji, Ilana saranghae."  He hadn't officially told him yet.  It all happened so quickly.

Harabeoji laughed at his grandson.  "Tell this old man something he didn't already know for at least the last six months."

Jihoo smiled.  "Deh Harabeoji, hajiman things are finally falling into place."

 - "Bringing her to the Gala will be making a statement.  Are you two ready for that?"

 - "Honestly, na won't know until it happens."

 - "Of course, Na give you my blessing; although, I know Jihoo wasn’t asking."

Jihoo laughed with his Grandfather.  These fishing trips were the highlight of his time in Seoul.  Checking the time on his phone, he knew they’d have to return for his meeting soon.  He smiled to see the message from Ilana.

Jihoo:  Fishing with Harabeoji, he gives us his blessing.  He wasn't surprised to hear about nae sarang.  Joeun haru dweseyo, saranghaeyo.

New York, NY

Ilana had a hard time sleeping again.  Even if she was very tired, she woke in a panic and feeling lost as if Jihoo was supposed to be at her side and wasn't.  When she woke in the morning, she still had the feeling of fear and desperation.  Falling asleep before his response to her text, waking up to it was a sweet gift.  It sustained her for the entire day and made her want to shop for a small gift for him.  She had just the idea and of course, enlisted JaeKyung's help.

At the end of the day, it was with great pleasure that she ran down the stairs to where JaeKyung was waiting.

 - "Unnie!  Hi!"

 - "Ilana!"  JaeKyung, being the monkey that she was, quickly wrapped Ilana into a hug.

 - "Unnie, I’m so lucky you guys are still in town and WooBin doesn't mind you helping with my scheme."

They had gotten into the car and were driving off.  "Anieyo!  The F4 are all about schemes."  JaeKyung said.  "You fit in quite nicely."

 - "Gomawo Unnie but it's just because you've all been so kind to me."

 - "Mollah (Whatever)!  So, Aveda on Fifth Avenue?"

 - "Yes, don't forget I'm buying you dinner."

 - "Anieyo!  I'll get my own or go back to the club and get something there."

 - "Ani!  Unnie, it's the least I can do and I won't take no for answer."

 - "You know, stubbornness is an F4 trait."  They both laughed as JaeKyung drove.

 

Once in the store, Ilana headed straight for the men's section and the perfume oils.

 - "What are you looking for?"

 - "His scent."

JaeKyung laughed.  "This is the longest he's been away in a while.  You've got it bad, don't you?"

 - "Andwae!"  Ilana protested.  "It's not for me; I want to give him his own scent.  He doesn't wear colognes or anything but always has this fresh clean scent.  And I thought, maybe he'd like something like that in a cologne or aftershave.  If I can capture that scent, do you think he'd wear it?"

 - "Coming from you, he'd wear anything.  Well, within reason."  JaeKyung was grinning at the oblivious Ilana who had begun sniffing around.

The oils themselves just weren't calling Ilana.  She didn't know how to combine them to get what she wanted.  She had one scent in her hand but placed it back down.  "I need coffee beans; I can't smell a thing anymore."

JaeKyung handed Ilana a small cup of coffee beans that were there for the purpose of clearing your nose from all the different scents.  "So, you've smelled them all, what do you think?"

 - "I kind of like this one, Ylang Ylang?"  She sniffed it again, with a clear nose.  "Yes, this one but what else to pair with it, I don't know."

 - "Can I suggest this concentrate?  It's called 'Love'."  A sales associate came up to them.

 - "Well, she's definitely in love," JaeKyung teased.

 - "Unnie, stop!"  Ilana took the sample and cautiously brought it to her nose.  "Ooh!  I think I like this one."

 - "It also has Jasmine," the sales clerk said.

It was soft and just a little sweet, coming from the jasmine.  "Unnie what do you think?"

 - "Well, I've never been close enough to Jihoo to notice his scent," she winked at Ilana.

 - "Unnie!"

 - "You're so much fun to tease.  I think it suits him.  You should buy one for you too and then you can have his and her scents."

 - "That's no fun; I want to smell it on him, not me."

 - "Well, when he goes on business trips, just make sure he leaves you the shirt he was wearing the day before with an extra helping of the perfume."  If Ilana wasn't already blushing at the idea, JaeKyung's next statement wanted to make her disappear from sight.  "You can sleep in it."

 - "U-nnie!!!"  JaeKyung and the sales clerk had themselves a good laugh before the sales lady asked if she could ring her up.

 - "Yes, I'll take two," she turned to JaeKyung.  "If he likes it I'll give him the other one.  He can keep one here and one in Seoul."  JaeKyung stifled a laugh with her hand but Ilana saw the merriment in her eyes.  "I'll take the lavender oil too."  Ilana was out and could use it to help her sleep at night.

Leaving the store, JaeKyung asked Ilana about the lavender oil.  "Are you stressed or just like the smell of lavender?"

 - "A little bit of both.  I've just been having a hard time sleeping."

 - "Sometimes, my brain is going in a million directions but that's what I have WooBin for."

 - "Deh, Joy gets the brunt of it but she'll get up and leave if she gets bored."  Ilana smiled thinking of her conversations with Jihoo.  Even if she didn't want to talk about it, he always dragged it out of her.

 - "I see that secret smile, you just miss Jihoo."

 - "I suppose," by this time they had walked into a Mediterranean restaurant and were studying the menu.

They were quiet until they placed their order.

 - "So, why don't you meet him at the airport?  Surprise him."

 - "Chincha?"

 - "Greomyo!  I'm sure he misses you as much as you miss him."

She would love to meet at the airport and see him an entire hour or more earlier. "But...Unnie, you don't think he'd find that intrusive?"

 - "Intrusive?"  JaeKyung laughed.  "How many times has he showed up and dragged you off somewhere whether or not you wanted to go."  This time Ilana laughed.  "Ilana just answered my question."

JaeKyung dropped Ilana back off at her apartment building.  WooBin was expecting her, so she couldn't stay.  "Come to the club tomorrow.  Just long enough to watch your friend perform.  I'll send a driver."

 - "I don't know, Unnie."

 - "You need a distraction. I'll have WooBin tell Jihoo we're kidnapping you for a few hours."

 - "Unnie!  What if he thinks I'm out flirting and not just trying to distract myself?"

 - "Jeongmal!  Is that what this is about?"

 - "Does Ilana think Jihoo's out flirting while in Seoul?"

 - "Ani, I trust him."  She smiled, understanding what JaeKyung was saying.

 - "Discussion over.  Trust me; nampyeon will have several bodyguards protecting his best friend's girlfriend."

 - "Arraso!"

Ilana walked in her door just after eight with a smile on her face.  JaeKyung was always good for a distraction.  She decided to text Jihoo before she got in the shower and ready for bed.

Ilana:  Sarang, Nah waseo (I'm home).  Na went to dinner with JaeKyung Unnie.  She wants me to go to the club for a little tomorrow.  Gwenchana?  I won't go if you don't want me to.  Bogoshipo!  3 1/2 more days!  

She pressed send and began her nightly routine.


Seoul, Republic of Korea  November 9, 2015

Jihoo walked around Apgujeong, trying to be inconspicuous as he looked for the right gown for Ilana to wear to the Gala.  He tried to stay out of the limelight, the fact that he was only in town one week out of the month helped.  But people still knew who the F4 were; they were their own brand of celebrity.  Salespeople dropped everything to come help him.  "I know what I'm looking for, I will let you know when I find it," he said curtly.  He walked straight to the evening gowns at the Galleria Department Store, earning him curious looks and whispers.  As usual, he masked his face in indifference.

He finally found what he was looking for in a Monique Lhuiller, Audrey Hepburn inspired gown.  He knew Ilana liked to wear retro style dresses.  Getting lost in his mind, he imagined her in the gown and couldn't help smile at the vision in his head.  Of all the dresses he'd seen, this one he knew was her.

 - "Ajussi, may I take that for you?"  An associate saw him standing with a smile on his face.  She figured he had found what he was looking for.

 - "Deh," he said, coming out of his daydream.

 - "Does Ajussi need accessories?"

He thought about it.  Her taupe shoes were perfect for the dress and for jewelry, she always wore pearls.  "Kansamnida that will be all."

Jihoo walked out of the department store pleased with his purchase.  There was an accessory he needed to get.  That would be going home with him to New York, unlike the dress that was staying at his home in Seoul.  Thankfully, they would deliver the dress.  He got in the car and headed for Lotte Duty-Free department store; the last stop on his list before heading to the Gu family mansion.  The men and JaeKyung knew that he and Ilana were officially in a relationship but he had yet to tell JanDi and GaEul.  Those two would make too much of a fuss and be calling Ilana nonstop.

JanDi busied herself, as usual, getting ready for their get together.  JunPyo was already sneaking bits of food.  "Yah!"  His wife caught him.  "Jihoo will be here soon, he called to say he was on the way."

 - "He's always late."

 - "Gu JunPyo, you know his schedule is hectic when he's here."  GaEul, being the docile one of the group, tried to calm her best friend and her husband.

 - "Ajussi!!"  The kids were heard screaming through the house as their favorite uncle arrived.

 - "Annyeong hasseyo, jwosongnmida, my errands took longer than expected."

 - "Gwenchana," YiJeong said.  "JunPyo was just missing you."

 - "Mollah (whatever),” JunPyo rolled his eyes.  "Mokega (let's eat)."

Everyone laughed at his impatience.

 - "Sunbae, how is Ilana?"  JanDi asked not five minutes after being seated.

 - "Deh, when will she come for a visit?"  GaEul followed.

 - "JanDi-ah, masheesuhyo (It's delicious), as always."

 - "Smooth," YiJeong complemented Jihoo on evading the question.

 - "Sunbae!"

Jihoo laughed at the ever impatient JanDi.  "If she's willing, I'll bring her for the gala."

 - "Chincha?" InHei asked.

 - "Would InHei like it if Ajumma Ilana were nae yeoja chingu?"

 - "Deh, Ajussi!  Ajumma Ilana choahyo."

 - "Nado."  Jihoo played with the little girl.

 - "Jihoo-yah?"  GaEul spoke.  "Ilana and you are dating?"

 - "Deh."

 - "Sunbae!  Wae didn't you say something!  Chukahae!  Na will have to call Ilana."

 - "Yah!  InHei Umma, this is why Jihoo didn't tell you."

 - "Gu JunPyo, you knew?"

YiJeong couldn't help laugh at the war that was about to break out between his friend and his wife.

 - "Nampyon, does this mean you knew too?"  GaEul gave her husband a murderous frown.

While the two couples bickered for a few minutes, Jihoo ate in relative peace.  He smiled at InHei, who smiled back at him.  She knew her parents well already.

 - "Sunbae," JanDi pouted.  "Jeongmal, GaEul and I are the last to know?"

 - "Mianhae, I didn't even tell Harabeoji before the other day."

 - "It was still new to us and we were telling people a little at a time."

 - "You guys are so sweet!"  GaEul gushed.  "Does Jihoo know how long we've been waiting for this to happen?"

 - "Na imagine since WooBin and JaeKyung first met her a year ago."

 - "Wau!  I still can't believe it.  Jihoo-yah, what time is it in New York?"

 - "Too early.  She will call and text when she wakes up and you guys can talk to her then."

 - "We'll have a toast for our chingu's love life after we finish our meal," JunPyo announced.

 - "Daeback!"

It was later, when Jihoo was tucking in InHei when he visualized himself tucking another little girl.  He didn't recognize where he was.  It wasn't JunPyo's house; though the room was decorated in western style, not unlike InHei's room.

 - "Ajussi, will you play something for me?"

 - "Deh," he began to play a lullaby and hum along.   He was so lost on the tune, everything faded away.  It was him and another little girl, not InHei.

Unbeknownst to him, JanDi had come to the room and was observing him.  His smile was wide and there was a serenity about him she had never seen before.  "This is what love does to a man," she thought.

The tune ended and Jihoo came back to the present, not exactly sure where he had been.  He looked to InHei for a second and caressed the child’s hair.

 - "Sunbae," JanDi said quietly.  Occasionally she was capable of being quiet.  "The namja are waiting to shoot pool."

 - "Deh," Jihoo packed up his guitar and followed JanDi who kept looking at him with a grin.  "JanDi-ah wae?"

 - "Mianhae, nae can't help picturing you as Appa.”

Jihoo chuckled a little embarrassed.  That was exactly what he was doing.

 - "Sunbae can't wait to get home, deh?"

 - "Deh."

 - "Sunbae, I'm happy for you.  We all are," she gave him a quick hug and walked off in the direction of the game room.


November 10, 2014

Harabeoji and JanDi insisted on seeing Jihoo off at the airport.  So much for his peace and quiet.

 - "Give Ilana a hug from us," JanDi said.

 - "Deh, make sure she knows we are expecting her for the Gala."

 - "Harabeoji, na admit she has gotten better at not being so stubborn but if na don't give her the option of coming with me, don't you think she'll protest?"

 - "Jihoo-yah has gone this fa; if it's fate she'll be here."

 - "Harabeoji, sometimes I wonder who is more stubborn."

 - "Do tell her we can't wait to see her again," JanDi said.

 - "Na believe you told her last night."  When Ilana called to say she was awake the girls quickly stole the phone from him.  He had excused himself, but GaEul caught up to him and JanDi was there too.  He had no choice but to turn over the phone to them.

 - "Ilana-yah, if Jihoo asks you to come to the Gala, just say yes," GaEul told her.

Jihoo inwardly groaned.  He should have known better than to say anything in front of GaEul and JanDi.  Thankfully, JaeKyung didn't know of his plans or she would already be dragging Ilana shopping.  He took the phone back from an unrepentant GaEul.

 - "Mianhae," he told her.  "I couldn't stop her in time."

 - "Gwenchana, sarang.  At least I know they're not displeased with me."

 - "Sarang," he said in mock frustration.  "Didn't I tell you they've been waiting for this?"

 - "Deh..."

 - "Ilana didn't believe me?"

 - "Deh!  But it's different knowing first hand, than..."

 - "Just your namja chingu's word for it?"

 - "That's not what I meant!"  She was getting flustered and he was enjoying every minute of it.

 - "Ara, na like it when you worry about offending me.  It shows me how much you care."

 - "Hajima..." she felt herself blushing and he was thousands of miles away.

Jihoo chuckled.  "Sarang sounds sleepy still.  Wae don't you go back to sleep.  It's only eight, maja (right)?"

 - "Deh, I am a little sleepy still.  Na wanted to hear your voice."  She continued having the recurring dream.  Although the lavender oil helped get her back to sleep, it didn't keep her from having it.  His text message or his voice kept her nerves from being frazzled the entire day because of it.

 - "Na will see you tomorrow and can tell me everything you did without me."

 - "Not much," she laughed.  "Bogoshipo.  Sarang can tell me everything you did without me."

Jihoo laughed, "not much."

Surprisingly GaEul and JanDi had let him have the rest of his conversation in relative peace.

 - "Sunbae, will you be staying for Christmas?"  JanDi asked.

 - "That depends on Ilana," He said to himself.  To JanDi he said, "mollah, na haven't finalized my schedule for next month."

 - "The boy won't want to leave his yeoja chingu for Christmas," Harabeoji said.  He knew his grandson well enough now to know that he was planning something.  He just hoped it was the right timing and everything worked out well.

Asiana flight 222 now boarding

 - "That's me," Jihoo was saved from further conversation.  "Harabeoji, JanDi-ah, na will see you next month."  He bowed to them and headed for the first class boarding line.


New York, NY

Ilana had slept better the night before as if knowing that she'd be seeing him again very soon gave her peace.  It was a good thing she'd had the nerve to ask for the morning off.  Her boss looked at her with a knowing smile but otherwise just gave her the approval.  A little anxious, still, Ilana hoped he wasn't annoyed by her presence at the airport.  She didn't think he would be but this was all new to her.  Taking one last look at her appearance, she left to catch a cab.  She wore a sweater dress over leggings and boots and carried gloves and a pashmina scarf for insurance.  A year later, she still wasn't used to the cold.

Having carefully applied her eye make-up she hoped he wouldn't notice.  He always did.  Ilana had made a better effort not to skip meals; she didn't think he'd have reason to complain about her having lost weight.  She wanted to appear pretty for him, not tired and undernourished.  Also, she couldn’t wait to give him the perfume oil.  That also helped her shake off any uneasiness.  She really wanted to give him a nice welcome home.

The plane was an hour away from landing.  Jihoo had already freshened up and changed into a more business casual look.  He smiled at the director's response when he emailed his request.  He tried asking him a reason for the request but Jihoo remained tight-lipped as always.  SungRyung just asked him if he'd been in prayer about it.  He couldn't respond to that.  He just felt the time was right and he would broach the subject when he felt certain.  Hopefully sometime between now and the gala next month.

Ilana found herself pacing.  She had been checking the flight status and the plane was about to land.  Her heart was racing with nerves.  Would he be happy she surprised him?  She sat, then stood, then sat again.  He still had to go through customs, her wait wasn’t over.  "Eottoke?"  She said out loud, the anxiety was starting to get to her.  Deciding to be sneaky, she sent him a text.

Ilana:  Annyeong hasseyo, Sarang.  I see your flight landed, did you clear customs yet?

Ilana decided to move where she could see him but he couldn't see her.

Jihoo was in the customs line when he received a text.  A huge smile appeared on his face.

JihooSarang is tracking me?

Ilana had to stifle a laugh.

Ilana:  Deh, I have a JPS device.  Jihoo is wearing a white shirt. (He always where's white, it was a safe guess.)

Jihoo:  Ilana-yah has a powerful gadget.  Can it tell how much I missed nae sarang?

Ilana:  Ani, but I can say nomu bogoshipatso.  Na wish you were in front of me right now.

Jihoo passed quickly through customs.  He knew most of the customs officers, having made this trip at least ten times a year for the last five years.

Jihoo:  Just passed customs.  Na will see you in forty minutes.

Ilana got ready to look for him and chose another hiding spot.  Her anxiety lay forgotten as she enjoyed the game.

Ilana:  Na don't think it will take THAT long.

Jihoo:  Ilana has forgotten about the traffic.

Ilana:  Na don't think there will be that much traffic.

Jihoo read the latest text and smiled.  She was being silly today and he loved it.

Jihoo:  Sarang has special powers?

Ilana:  Deh, Uzoosin powers.

Blurting out the first thing that came to her mind, linking her conversation with KyuJong from earlier in the week.  Since he’d mentioned Kim HyunJoong, his avatar was the first thing that came to mind.

JihooPaboya.

Ilana spotted him.  He had long legs and walked with purpose towards the exit.  Hoping she'd be able to catch up with him, she took off almost running.  She was petite and at least could easily maneuver through the crowds.  Unfortunately, she irritated not just a few people as she went.  It was Monday; so many business people came and went, making it difficult for Ilana to navigate.  Thankfully, he was hard to miss.

Ilana finally caught up to him not that far from the exit.  He would slip away any second, so she grabbed the strap of his laptop case.

Jihoo felt a pull on his bag, making him stop.  Before he could turn, Ilana wrapped him in a back hug, not caring about anyone else.  He gave the appearance of being slim, yet his back felt surprisingly muscular and broader than she had anticipated.  "Sarang...you...walk fast," she said, trying to catch her breathe.  She leaned against his back.

If Jihoo didn't know better, he'd think his mind was playing tricks on him.  "Sarang?"  He pulled her out from behind.

 - "Surprise?"  She said, looking nervous.

He was smiling but speechless, she was grinning from ear to ear, enjoying giving him the surprise as much as he receiving it.  Before she lost her nerve, she clung to his neck and pulled his face to hers.  She gave him two pecks on the lips.  He, in turn, tightened his hold on her and lips with his.  He playfully caught and released her lip with his before he covered them both completely.  Neither was in a hurry, enjoying their first prolonged kiss.  She shyly responded to his kiss, savoring the sweetness of their reunion.

Jihoo figured he should stop before she got the wrong idea.  He ended with a kiss to the forehead and cheek and another peck on the lips.

She immediately ducked her head into his chest, cheeks flaming.  "Bogoshipatso."

 - "Nado bogoshipatso.  Choah this reception.  Should I go back again soon to receive this homecoming?"

 - "Ani!  This was too long."

 - "Deh, hajiman na won't be going next month," he told her.

 - "Chincha?"

 - "At least not alone," he said to himself.  "Deh," he told her, praying his lie of omission would be forgiven.  They stayed wrapped in each other’s arms for several minutes, neither one willing to let go.  "Sarang, are you working today?"  She was dressed for work.

 - "Deh," she groaned.

 - "Na think we should go."

 - "Arraso," she still made no move to go.

Jihoo chuckled; Ilana felt his chest vibrate beneath her.  He lifted her chin and he couldn't help but kiss her lips again, drawing it out even slower than before.  "Gomawo, na enjoyed my surprise.  Sarang was right; it didn't take that long to see you again."  He couldn't stop himself from kissing her again.  He placed several kisses on her face.  "Kaja.  Noona will start to wonder if you were kidnapped."

 - "Deh," she pouted.

Bringing his finger to her lips, he tapped his finger there before taking her hand and lacing his fingers through hers as they walked out.

 - "Miss Ilana?"  The driver asked surprised.

 - "Yes, I found her wandering around lost in the airport."

 - "Fortunate for you, Miss Ilana, that Dr. Yoon found you.  And fortunate for Dr. Yoon that you were lost and wandering all alone."  Ilana, then Jihoo slid into the back of the SUV.

 - "True," Jihoo said with a smile.

They went on their way and the two only had eyes for each other at the moment.  He studied her well and she looked down, knowing this.

 - "Ilana hasn't been sleeping well has she?"  Her makeup was heavier than normal.  Even on special occasions, she didn't wear that much.  He knew her habits already.

 - "That's not true!"

 - "Na smelled lavender on your skin," he ran his fingers through her hair.  "Did you have a headache?"  He looked at her worriedly.

At least that was a reason she could easily give him.  "Na didn't know if you would be happy with your surprise.  I was a little anxious and needed to relax."

 - "Paboya."

 - "Deh..."  After a few minutes of silence, she wondered if he was tired.  "Sarang, are you tired?"

 - "Jogeumyo, naega used to the trip already.  It doesn't bother me as much."

 - "Oh."  Then she remembered her gift.  "Na have a surprise for you!"

 - "Another one?"

 - "Deh, close your eyes."  He looked at her inquisitively but complied with her request.  "Are they really closed?"

 - "Deh!"

 - "Don’t open them until I say so."  She took the perfume oil out of her purse, and then took his wrist, ing the cuff.  He made a funny face.  "Don't open!"

 - "Deh."

Ilana took the oil and rolled a bit on his now exposed wrist.  Giving his wrist a quick kiss, she said: "all done."

He opened his eyes and brought his wrist up to his nose.  "It's interesting."

Ilana was worried.  "You don't like it."

 - "Choah, na don't usually wear colognes but this smells pleasant.  Choah.  Gomawo."  He took her wrist and kissed it like she did to him.

 - "These are for you, one for here and one for Seoul."

 - "Ilana didn't have to get me anything."

 - "Na didn't have to, Na wanted to."

 - "Ha JaeKyung was your accomplice again?"

 - "Deh, she's very good at it," Ilana laughed.  She was so happy he had liked her surprises.  All her fretting this week faded away at the sight and feel of him.  "Na don't think we'll have time to stop for lunch," she was disappointed.

 - "Ani, I'll buy lunch at the cafeteria and Ilana can buy dinner."

 - "Arraso, that's fair."

He just had to say something or burst.  "Na have a surprise for Ilana as well."

 - "Chincha?"

 - "Deh."  She questioned him with her eyes.  He laughed at her confusion.  "Na will give it to you when the time is right."

 - "Chincha?  When will that be?"

 - "When namja chingu says it is."

 - "Jeongmal?"

 - "Jeongmal and Uzoosin magic doesn't work on me, so don't try it."

 - "Pabo."

 - "Paboya."

 


I love to read all your comments, so please don't be shy.  Some of you have been slacking off in that department.  I hope I haven't been disappointing you.  *pout*