Celebrating

Love Covers a Multitude of Sins
Seoul, Republic of Korea February 14, 2 015

Getting JunPyo up out of bed on most days was still tricky, on days off, it was almost impossible.  While he was still sleeping, she prepared his Valentine’s Day treats.  On the pretext of seeing her Mother, JanDi and InHei spent the day making homemade chocolates for JunPyo.  Each year she made them different, still remembering the first year she made him chocolates resembling the F4.  Her husband was still a kid at heart and looked forward to his homemade treats each year.  Her Mother had also sent him a jar of her aged kimchi.  InHei too was still asleep while JanDi prepared seaweed soup just like her Mother made and pan-fried corbina, along with rice, seasoned spinach and bean sprouts with kimchi.  JunPyo usually had western breakfasts but enjoyed a traditional Korean breakfast as a treat for special occasions.

The maids helped JanDi load several trays of food and take it to their room.  InHei could always go downstairs when she woke up.  She’d make her Grandparents come out of their room and join her.  Smiling at the thought of her daughter, she wondered how their son would be.  Quietly, they all got to work setting the table, JunPyo still snoozed away, oblivious to the people in the room.  The maids left and JanDi took the box of chocolates, she had prepared, placing it on her husband’s chest. Gu JunPyo!!  Wake up!!”  JunPyo rolled over, ignoring his wife.  The box fell to the side.  Yah!!”  She smacked his arm. Gu JunPyo wake up or Na will send your chocolate to Harabeoji and Sunbae!”

 - “Chocolate?”  That woke him up.

 - “Pabo!!  Happy Valentine’s day!”  JanDi rescued the box from being crushed by her husband.

JunPyo grinned ear to ear as he sat up. Did Yeobo make this for me?”

 - “Gu JunPyo knows very well they are for you.  InHei helped.  She made our family, see?”  Amongst the chocolate hearts and filled chocolate tarts were ladyfingers covered with chocolate and made to look like their family, including a pregnant mommy ladyfinger.  JunPyo had not lost his Cheshire grin and was about to open the box.  “After breakfast!”  JanDi quickly pulled the box back.

 - “Wae?!!  They’re mine!”  JunPyo whined.

 - “Deh…and you can have them after breakfast.  Kaja!”  She began pulling him out of bed.  In fear of hurting the baby, he couldn’t fight her off and complied somewhat willingly.

 - “Wau!!  Yeobo, shouldn’t have gotten up so early to make all this.”  He circled his arms around his wife giving her a few sweet and tender kisses.

 - “Yeobo knows na like to do things for him.”

 - “InSu Umma is Daeback!”  JunPyo pressed a hand to his wife’s ever-growing six-month belly.

 - “InHo Appa keeps forgetting the name of his adul.”  They still hadn’t settled on a name and knowing the two stubborn parents, they’d hold out until the very end.

 - “Ani…wau!!  He kicked me?  Did you feel that?”

 - “Deh!  Who do you think got the kick first?  He’s probably hungry.”

 - “Nado!”  He sat, and his wife uncovered all the side dishes and served him soup and rice.  "Umma is a good cook, adul."  JunPyo sometimes liked to talk to the baby.  JanDi had always talked to InHei and now she talks to their son.  It felt awkward still, talking to her stomach.  Perhaps by their next child, he'd get the hang of it.

 - "JunPyo, gwenchana?"  He was staring at her and smiling like a kid.

 - "Dehhh," JanDi had placed the two bowls in front of him and was still standing.  With his usual impulsiveness, JunPyo grabbed his wife by the waist and kissed her stomach.  "Adul, saranghae."  Reaching for her face he said:  "JanDi-ah saranghae" and kissed her softly.  "Jalmokegetsumnida (I will eat this well).

JanDi shook her smiling, "Gu JunPyo, saranghae."

Lima, Peru

After spending a few days visiting about twenty Korean owned businesses in Lima, with Alvaro, ILC's South American representative, JungMin and Suzy were spending a very nice evening at Love Park in Miraflores.  Jihoo and Ilana gave Suzy her airplane ticket as an early graduation present as they would be in Seoul and not be able to attend the graduation ceremony at the end of the month.  JungMin had used their ship connections to get them a very nice hotel just slightly above budget, and since they were also celebrating their early anniversary, they were upgraded to the largest suite.  ia told him if he paid upfront, the company would reimburse him the difference.

Today, they weren't working.  It was Sunday, but also Valentine’s Day.  Today was all about his wife’s accomplishment and their love which had officially been recognized three years prior and soon to married two years.  Their morning began with their usual fresh, still warm from the oven, sweet bread, coffee, and juice, but today the couple cuddled in bed as they enjoyed their sweets.  They would require new bedding that evening due to crumbs and a few near misses with juice and coffee.

 - "Park JungMin, you stay on your side of the bed!"  JungMin had nearly toppled her coffee as he leaned over to kiss her delectable lips covered in sugar crystals from the cookie she had just bitten into.

 - "Sweets are addicting jagi," he swept his thumb at the corner of her lips and tasted it.  "Anae is nae sweetheart and nomu masheesuhyo."  He leaned toward her a little more carefully, this time.  “…and very addicting.”  He lips, at the sweet cookie remains.

 - “Mmm…you should balance the sweet with the savory,” Suzy shoved a piece of cheese in his mouth when he had let her up.

- “Na can do savory…”

- “Park JungMin!!  Let’s finish our food so we can go to the 11:30 Mass."  Suzy had overseen getting her husband up and breakfasted in time to meet Alvaro each day.  The hotel stopped serving breakfast at nine A.M.; therefore, she had requested for breakfast to be delivered at nine that morning.  The days he worked with Alvaro, she had breakfast delivered at 7:30.  Without his carrot juice, there was no hope of getting him up.

JungMin pouted,Na had plans to worship you, this morning,” JungMin’s hand was already traveling along her leg.

For a moment, only a moment, she found herself weakening, but pulled herself from temptation. Worship the Lord, not me, Park JungMin."  She stopped the naughty hand.  Mokda!  We can set aside time for Yesu this morning and then have the rest of the day for us.  Nampyon enjoys many blessings from the Lord and this is the way you thank him?!  Ah?!  Na want a blessing from the priest for our wedding anniversary, arraso?”  Suzy scolded him like a kid.

- “Arraso, that’s why Yesu gave me anae to keep me out of trouble.”

Suzy smiled,hajiman Yeobo, that’s a lot of work!”  She pecked him on the lips and then offered him a muffin to curb his hunger.

Suzy had left the Church grateful for the blessing they received for a long and fruitful marriage.  Little did JungMin know it was the ‘fruitful’ part she truly desired.  They had a late lunch at La Mar, a very popular ceviche restaurant.  They timed it just right to avoid most of the crowds, even if it was Valentine's Day.  Their ceviche had corbina in it, which was an interesting treat.  Suzy took careful note, so she could try and recreate the dish at home.  They filled in the cracks of their stomachs with seafood rice, a large beer washed it all down, and a cactus fruit sorbet to top it off.  Leaving lunch, they arrived at Love Park, ready to admire the ocean from its cliffs, walk the paths holding hands and sit on the bench stealing kisses amongst all the other couples who chose the park as their Valentine's destination.  Now JungMin held his wife by the waist as they danced to a slow Bossa Nova.  "Well, Nurse Practitioner-ssi," JungMin asked.  "How does it feel, now that it's done?"

 - "Ani, it won't feel done until I have my diploma.  Then, it will be official, and I can move forward with it."

 - "Arraso, have you made a decision?"  She had already discussed with him the two different routes she was looking into.  He didn't say it and maybe sometimes he failed to show it, but he too had been praying for her decision.  Ultimately, he wanted her to choose what would bring her the most satisfaction.

 - "Deh, at this time, I want to stay in labor and delivery at the hospital and assist the OB's with their patients."

JungMin nodded, he knew this wasn't her first choice and was conceding but didn't know why.  "Is this what you really want?"

 - "Deh, for now.  Na would like to be in a practice and have my own patients, hajiman Na still can have my own patients.  Naega a licensed midwife come the end of the month.  Na just need to buy my insurance and then I keep my one year at the hospital too.  I lit a candle at the little chapel, every day of my final exams as I prayed for the Lord's leading.  Though joining a practice would mean fewer hours, it would also mean being on call off-hours.  As a midwife that would be the case as well, hajiman na can give myself the luxury of spending more time with my patients."

There was something more she wasn't saying, and her husband knew it.  "Arraso, spill it.  There's something you don't want to tell me."

 - "Waaee?!"  Smiling, she pulled him down for a playful kiss.  He wasted no time in responding to her playfulness and teasing her back.

Ending their kiss, JungMin put his forehead to hers.  "Wau, whatever you're hiding must be really good.  We can go back to the hotel, so you can continue not telling me more."

Suzy laughed.  "Ani!  Na want to dance!"  The music picked up and she stepped away from her husband's embrace, laughing as she swayed her hips to the music, just to torment him.

 - "Anae can't hold a secret for very long...."  Actually, she could, but he had his ways to get her to cave.  In the meantime, he'd just enjoy the view of her body swaying to the music.

Sunset over the water was always spectacular, especially accompanied by the woman you love.  JungMin and Suzy stood on the bridge overlooking the water, sharing sweet and tender kisses, not in the least bit noticed by all the other couples doing the exact same thing.  In fact, there had been a 'longest kiss' contest and though her husband was willing, she was not.  Knowing her husband's competitive spirit, their evening would end in an argument, because she couldn't keep from laughing and they would not win the contest.  "Choah nae graduation present," Suzy gave her husband another sweet kiss.  She hadn't been looking forward to being alone for a week.  Occasionally, he did one or two-day trips up north and he’d already traveled once to Peru and Brazil.  The short trips she could handle, it was the ones that were longer than two days that drove her crazy.

 - "Anieyo, choah that we had an excuse to come together."

 - "Deh!"

JungMin nipped at her lips again.  "Begopah, let's get dinner at the hotel and eat in bed,” he grinned lecherously at his wife.

 - "Anieyo!  We'll eat at the table.  We just got clean sheets and we have one more night."

 - "Deh...," he pouted.

 

It was late by the time the couple had their dinner and got ready for bed.  Suzy had brought a special Valentine’s Day negligee as a gift for her husband.  It wasn't too revealing but at the same time, it wasn't her usual boxers and tank top that she wore to bed most nights.  This was their second to last night in Lima and JungMin had finished up his work with Alvaro and the rest of the time, until they left on Tuesday morning, was theirs.  JungMin booked the Romance Package with their room and had enjoyed the cheese and cold meats prior to dinner and a bottle of fruity red wine with and after dinner.  Suzy giggled before opening the bathroom door and stepping out.  JungMin was waiting for her in bed.

JungMin's eyes opened wide and jaw dropped just a little at seeing his wife walk out of the bathroom in a black mesh with lace bandeau strapless baby doll, that tied just under the bust with a red bow.  "Yeobo, Happy Valentine’s day."  Suzy kneeled on the bed and leaned over, giving him a slow kiss, savoring the moment of making her husband speechless.  It didn't happen often; therefore, well worth savoring.

JungMin's hands had already begun to roam their way to her practically bottom.  "Watermelon lip gloss?  Choah; Na want more."  Suzy moved to straddle him as his kiss was impatient and demanding, wanting more of her.  Ending the kiss first, Suzy moved to through the light blanket.  "Yah, jagi, how long do you think this is going to stay on? He was quite enjoying the feel of her warm skin under the flimsy garment.

 - "Until I'm done with you," she brushed his lips with hers and slowly continued down his jaw, flicked his earlobe with her tongue and continued.

Sometime later, replete with food, wine, and Suzy's Valentine's gift, husband and wife were still snuggled close.  A post-lovemaking routine that usually included more light caresses and teasing that may or may not lead to more lovemaking.  JungMin had begun tracing her lips; most of the watermelon lip-gloss had come off during their bedroom activities.  "Yeobo...," Suzy nipped at his finger.  Removing his fingers from the vicinity of her teeth, Min began to tickle her sensitive neck.  "Yeobo! She cocked her neck to stop the offending hand.

 - "Wae?"

 - "There's a reason Na want to stay at the hospital a little longer."

 - "Mmm?"  He was listening but had decided to replace his finger and torment her neck with his kisses.

Suzy gasped as his teeth gently bit the delicate flesh just under her jaw.  "Park JungMin!  Are you listening?"

 - "Did I say I wasn't?  Anae can talk, while Na continue."  He continued his assault on her neck and with his thumb began rubbing small circles on the underside of her .  A pleasant tingling had begun to course through her body and trying to hold a meaningful conversation went out the window.  Suzy moved to bring his lips to hers, but he resisted.  "Not until anae tells me what she's thinking.  Na will stop, and we can go to sleep or..." he placed kisses just below her s and then stopped and held her hands away from him.

 - "Aish!  Pabo!"

 - "Payback for the delicious torment from earlier."  Letting her go, he turned to his side and feigned sleep.

 - "Yah!"  She smacked his bottom and climbed on top of him, trying to get his attention.  What she had to say was important and she didn't know how he would react, but his touch had made her want more of it as always.  "Bpo bpo and na promise to tell you."

 - "No getting distracted..."  He gave her the passionate kiss she wanted.  They loved to play and tease each other during their lovemaking.

After a generous kiss from her husband, Suzy slid off his legs and lay with her arms crossed on his chest.  "Ready for me to tell you?"

 - "Deh."

 - "Na..." Suzy smiled coyly.

 - "Yah!!  Tell me or no bpo bpo for anae."

 - "What if..." she paused for effect, her husband was getting impatient.  "Na think nampyon wouldn't last without bpo bpo."  Suzy fit her lips against his.

 - "Yah!!"  JungMin was getting extremely curious to know what his wife was scheming.  It had to be something big for her to keep stalling.  He turned and pinned her under him, holding her hands captive.  "Na can torture anae now..." he began to tickle her.  "...or anae can tell me what's going on that cute head of yours."

 - "Arraso!!  Arraso!!!  Hajima!!"  She writhed trying to avoid his tickling fingers.  "You...always cheat!"  She caught her breath and glared at her husband.

 - "Deh!  Na will let go and anae will tell me."  He let her go and cuddled her up against him.  "Better?"  He gave her a peace offering kiss on the forehead.

 - "Minnie-ah...," she began.  "What if na get off the pill at the end of my cycle."  She braced herself for a freaked-out husband.

 - "Chinchayo?"

 - "Deh..."

 - "And... have a baby?"

 - "Deh..."

 - "Choah that idea."

 - "Deh?"

 - "Deh."  He kissed her tenderly and sweetly, catching her lips with his, releasing them and starting all over again.  "Saranghaeyo."  They made love once more before sleep took over and in the morning, they wouldn't have to hurry off anywhere.


February 27, 2015

In the Song household, Hana was fed and changed for her official debut in society.  They had an exclusive banquet prepared for that evening in celebration of HaNa’s 100th day and their third wedding anniversary.  "Nae princesses are yippeun today,WooBin kissed his daughter who wore a red and pastel hanbok and his wife who wore a red lace and satin strapless dress.  The bodice covered in red lace, while the full skirt came just above her knees.

WooBin had a picture in his new wallet of his wife and daughter in those exact same clothes.  On Valentine’s Day, his wife hadn’t done homemade chocolates like all the other girlfriends or wives.  WooBin was presented with a new Bottega Veneta leather embroidered wallet with their picture proudly displayed inside.

- “Appa, Happy Valentine’s day," JaeKyung said.  When she saw her husband open the gift with a smile, she said:  "Now you can carry us with you always."

- "Choahyo, na already do," he gave his wife a 'thank you' kiss.  "When did you have the picture done?"

 - "A few weeks ago, at Hyung & Hyun studios.  GaEul and the kids came too."

 - "She does good work.  We'll take a few family portraits to display at Hana's 100th day."

 - "Choahyo!"

Not only were Hyung & Hyun studios contracted to shoot a family portrait session for the Song's, but also the entire party.  "Jeongmalyo Junnie, I'm so nervous," YiHyun wrung her hands as they drove to Shinwa.

 - "Jagiya," HyungJun took her hand in his while he drove with the other.  It was Friday night and traffic was miserable.  "You've spent almost two years making a name for yourself and our business.  Na can only hope to be able to contribute as much as you have."

 - "Anieyo!!  Junnie, if it weren't for you, Na wouldn't have had the courage to open the studio.  Deh, sometimes Na have more work than I can handle, hajiman this is different.  It's not our chingu Ilana and Jihoo Uissa.  This is the Song clan!"

 - "Yah!  Didn't we get hired to do both Song and So family photos?  Deh, they're F4, they can hire any photographer they want, hajiman...they hired us.  Hokshina they did it for Ilana's sake, hajiman if we didn't have the skill, we wouldn't get the job, deh?"

 - "Junnie-yah, chinchayo?"

 - "Greomyo!"

 YiHyun's nerves settled finally, with her fiancé’s encouragement.  "Bogoshipatso.  I'm happy you're back."

 - "Nado, Na can't wait for KyuJong Hyeong to be out of the military and we can plan our wedding."

 - "Deh!  Choah the idea of a double wedding."

 - "Mmm."  They drove on talking about wedding venues, flowers, and songs.

Jihoo arrived for Ilana at her office; it had been very busy for both since they arrived in Seoul on the fifteenth.   Though stuck in an airplane on Valentine's Day, Jihoo and Ilana cherished their quiet time together.  Work and the pregnancy infringed on their time together, even though Ilana was in the honeymoon phase of pregnancy.  Well into the second trimester, the nausea had stopped, she was no longer pale or anemic and her energy level was much higher.  Except, of course, when they flew.  Jihoo was glad this was their final trip to Seoul before HaEun arrived.  Like their previous flight, it ended with his wife's blood pressure elevated, dizziness and nausea.  That made him worry about having to stay in Seoul the rest of the pregnancy.  "Yesu, na will accept your will.  Keep anae and our child healthy," he prayed before walking into Ilana's office suite.

 - "Annyeong hasseyo, Uissanim," Ilana's admin, JiNa, greeted.  "Sajangnim (CEO) is in her office."

 - "Still working?"  Ilana's Marketing team was very busy with their current clients and had to work Saturday just to keep up.  Not to mention ILC Seoul had their one-year anniversary party coming up in four days.  Everyone knew in order to play that afternoon and evening they had to work a little extra to meet deadlines.

 - "Deh, Uissanim," the admin smiled.  Their boss's husband knew her well.

 - "Did anae nap today?"

 - "Deh, Uissanim."

 - “Arraseo, na will show myself back.”  Jihoo walked toward his wife’s office.

 - “Annyeong hasseyo, Uissanim,” Mina greeted him warmly. Sajangnim should be ready, she was fixing her makeup a few minutes ago.”

 - “That’s if nae anae hasn’t been distracted by an email.”

 - “Mollahyo Uissanim, na can’t hide Sajangnim’s laptop.”

Jihoo smiled at Mina and walked into the office, seeing his wife brows furrowed and biting her lips as she concentrated on the computer screen before her.  The party theme for the evening was keeping with the spirit of love and Valentine’s Day.  Everyone was required to wear white, red, or pink; men could wear some black, just not all black.  At the doorway, Jihoo observed his wife, who had obliviously begun to type.  Evidently upset at something or someone.  “Sarang!”

Ilana gasped, so focused on the email in front of her and did not see her husband had been standing there for the past few minutes. Sarang!  M-mianhae, Na got sidetracked.”

 - “Na can see that.”  He took note of her half made-up face and makeup strewn in front of her. Does Sarang want me to finish your thought while you finish up getting ready?”

 - “Ohh, it’s a little late.  Mianhae.  Na will just forward this to TaeYoung-ssi.  He will know how to respond.”  Ilana sighed, Sarang, it would be so much easier to visit the construction site myself.”  He had told her adamantly, stepping foot on a construction site was strictly forbidden.

 - “Anieyo.” his voice was low and firm, indicating no opposition. There are enough perils at a construction site for a healthy namja, how much more for nae pregnant anae.”

 - “Dehh…,” her tone was resentful.  Typing out instruction for TaeYoung, she sent the email and resumed her makeup with an annoyed look on her face.

Jihoo watched her jerky movements with a little amusement.  After a year of being saved by Yesu’s grace and marriage, her stubborn streak got her every time.  Walking behind her chair, he rubbed her shoulders. Ara Sarang wants to handle everything herself.  Deh, it’s sometimes quicker, hajiman what would happen to your reports, your phone calls, and your research if you stopped to handle every small item that comes up?”  He felt her shoulders relax.

 - “Deh…, it’s just Na already feel inadequate sometimes, now more so.  HaEun-ah is one of the most amazing events in nae life, hajiman na feel like Na shouldn’t give myself the luxury of HaEun and ILC Group.”

 - “Sarang,” he turned her chair to face him. Sarang was given an idea and acted upon it, doing the research, contacting the necessary people, and hiring the right people to support you.  It started with the Asia project and overflowed into ILC-Seoul.  A year later, ILC group is proudly displayed on several properties as well as construction sites.”

 - “Ara, Sarang, mianhae.  Na will be ready in five minutes, deh?”

 - “Deh,” Jihoo bent and gave her a quick kiss before sitting down to wait for her.

 

Ilana was done in the five minutes she allowed herself. Arraso,” she stood from her desk, grabbing her purse from its drawer.  Jihoo stood and blocked her way.  The red swing dress brought out her blushed cheeks beautifully.  It had been a little over a month now, that she had that pregnancy glow.  The red dress just enhanced it.  “Sarang, wae?”  Frantically, she looked down,is something out of place?”  Ilana couldn’t see anything obvious.

 - “Anieyo,” he placed a warm hand on her now very noticeable twenty-six-week pregnant tummy.  “HaEun Umma is yippeun.”  He pulled her closer to him and pressed his lips to hers.

 - “Mph!”  She mumbled a halfhearted protest.

Grinning, he took her arm. Kaja, Sarang, before Na embarrass you again."  The blinds in her office were open and anyone could have seen them kissing at that moment.  Keeping with her Father’s idea that his employees were his responsibility; therefore, like family, ILC-Seoul was less formal than most offices.  Her staff usually just grinned affectionately at their boss and husband’s public displays of affection.

YiJung and GaEul arrived at the venue at the same time as the celebrated young lady and the team from Hyung & Hyun studios. Annyeong hasseyo, So-ssi, Song-ssi,” HyungJun bowed and greeted the husband's first.  We will provide you an excellent service today.”

 - “Greomyo!”  WooBin slapped HyungJun on the arm.

 -Deh! You two are great photographers.  Wae are we being so formal,” JaeKyung placed one hand on her hip.  We’re chingu, deh?”

 - “Greomyo!”  HyungJun agreed.

 - “Deh!”  GaEul joined in, happily.  YiHyun-ah, nampyon really liked our picture.”  GaEul had made a porcelain picture frame to display in the studio and inserted the pictures YiHyun had taken of her and the kids.

 - "Kansamnida, na did my best."

 - "Gwenchanayo, it's evident in the photos.  Would Hyung & Hyun studios consider being the photographer for JeongHee's 100th day?"

 - "Daeback!"  HyungJun said excitedly.  "Give us a date and we'll check our schedule."

Slowly, everyone began to arrive to the venue, which was decorated in shades of pink, white, and a splattering of red.  The party guest list included only one hundred names.  Aside from Pastor Victor, who was there to dedicate Hana to God, the names included:  Mr. Song's most trusted men and their families, the F4 families, JaeKyung's parents and closest family.  The Kim's were also invited, but of course, Isabel was in school and JaeJoong was too busy with the hospital.  He and Abigail couldn't get away; only the elder Kim's were able to attend.  Jihoo, Ilana, and the Gu family pulled into the hotel parking lot at the same time.  JanDi and Ilana hugged each other as best as their protruding bellies would allow.  "How are you feeling?"  They both said at once, bursting into laughter.

 

 - "JanDi Unnie!  What a pretty dress!"  The dress was a deep shade of pink and swung nicely over her baby bump, camouflaging it to look smaller.

 - "Deh!  JanDi-ah, Na told you it was perfect.  Greomyo, I knew it would be.  That's why Na bought it for anae."

 - "Gu JunPyo!  Ilana-yah doesn't need to hear you brag about nae dress."  He embarrassed her whenever he did that.  Some habits were hard to break.  At least he didn't mention the designer or the price.

 - "Gwenchanayo, Gu JunPyo-ssi has excellent taste.  The color brings out JanDi's natural color and compliments her dark hair."  Ilana had learned in her short time amongst the F4 that JunPyo was one of those men that needed affirmation.  He would shower the world at his wife's feet if she would let him.  She also understood JanDi did not enjoy the fuss, making her shy. The other F4 were a lot subtler with their wives.

 - "What about Ilana?"  JanDi turned the spotlight back to Ilana.  "Sunbae, Ilana didn't want to buy that dress when we took her shopping.  Sunbae, she looks yippeun, deh?"

 - "Deh," Jihoo laced his fingers through his wife's and smiled at her.  "Kaja, we're already a few minutes late."

 - "Ajussi!  What about me?"

 - "Ah, InHei-ah is the most yippeun."  InHei wore her hair braided to the side and a modern light pink and white hanbok. 

 - "Kansamnida Ajussi!"  Once in the banquet room, InHei skipped off happily to JeongYul or Yulie as she sometimes called her honorary dongsaeng.  Her parents and Jihoo and Ilana were accosted by the rest of the F4 and the photographers.  "Annyeong hasseyo," HyungJun bowed to them.  "Ha JaeKyung-ssi would like pictures of all her guests.  May I?"

 - "Deh, photographer-ssi," Ilana played along with her Maknae Oppa.

 - "Ilana-yah, don't encourage him!"  YiHyun posed the newest arrivals for the picture.

 - "Gwenchana YiHyun-ssi, he's fun," JaeKyung said.

 - "Deh!  If Kim HyungJun-ssi gets nae Abeoji to smile for a picture, Na will pay you triple your fees."  WooBin challenged the young photographer.

 - "Arraseo, na will take the challenge, Kim WooBin-ssi.  If na should fail in my noble quest to make Ajussi Song smile, Kim WooBin-ssi owes Hyung & Hyun studios nothing for our time, just the pictures that you like."

 - "Woe man, you're serious?"  WooBin broke into his gangster English.

 - "Yeah man..."  HyungJun answered likewise.  "The King of making reluctant passengers smile is in the house," he bowed exaggeratedly.

 - "WooBin-ssi, be prepared to pay triple the fee, he made me smile."

 - "And anae made me smile," Jihoo whispered in her ear.

When Ilana turned to look at her husband, he had already schooled his face, except his twinkling eyes.  "Na will tell HaEun to kick Appa in the middle of the night," she scolded.

 - "Saranghaeyo, HaEun Umma," Jihoo laughed.  His wife pushed him from her side, but he hooked his arm around her waist and brought her close again.  "We'll be heading to our seats now."

On their way to find seats, Jihoo and Ilana ran into the Kim elders.  "Jihoo!  Ilana!  It's wonderful to see you!"  Before Ilana could even blink, she was being pulled into Mrs. Oh's effusive hug.

Jihoo was being pounded on the back by Mr. Kim.  "Chukahae, Jihoo-ah!  Nae Anae and I have been praying for your good news."

 - "Kansamnida," Jihoo responded.

 - "Oh!   How is Abigail and Isabel and JaeWook?  I haven't had a chance to talk to her since before we arrived in Seoul?"  Ilana asked.

 - "They are well, praise God!  Abigail just recently went back to work part-time and the kids are doing well."  Mrs. Oh beamed at the mention of her Grandchildren.

 - "Deh, she did say that was coming up.  She held up well?"

 - "Deh, greomyo she missed the kids, but had peace in her decision."

 - “Choah!  I hope she can visit once HaEun is born.”

 - “Deh, I’m sure she and adul will make time to visit.”

 - “I’m sure these kids would like to find their seats.  Mr. Kim knew his wife would talk their ear off if allowed.

 - “Gwenchanayo, Abeoji,” Ilana said.

 - “Sarang, they will start the ceremony soon and we should get to our seats beforehand.”

 - “Jihoo-ah, she looks radiant.  Pregnancy suits her.”

Ilana smiled at Jihoo, remembering those terrible first few months of being constantly sick and having to get the equally horrible acupuncture treatments.  Deh, she is,” Jihoo wrapped a supportive arm around her waist. We’ll be leaving first.  Mannaseo bangawo (Nice to see you).”  Jihoo and Ilana respectfully bowed.

 - “Deh!”

 - “Such sweet kids,” Mrs. Oh said to her husband.

 - “Deh, and to think of everything she went through to finally find the Savior’s peace and love and an earthly love.”  The two elders also left to take their seats.

Fifteen minutes later, WooBin held Hana as her dedication ceremony was beginning.  "We’re here to give praises to Jesus for Hana’s birth,” Pastor Victor began.  “In days before modern medicine and perilous living conditions, babies didn't make it through their first one hundred days. The people gathered on the baby's hundredth day to pray for wealth, longevity, and luck.  Our prayers today are a little different, but we still pray for many blessings upon Hana. Our authority to dedicate Hana today comes from the Bible.  Jesus disciples rebuked the parents who brought their children to Jesus, but Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."  Then we are told Jesus laid hands on the children.”  Pastor Victor addressed guests.  The family is a divine institution ordained of God from the beginning of time. Children are a heritage of the Lord committed by Him to their parents for care, provision, protection, and spiritual training. It is good when parents recognize all of these obligations and responsibilities and make every effort to fully carry them out. In this act of dedication Song, WooBin and Ha JaeKyung acknowledge these responsibilities and come before us today to dedicate themselves and Hana to God and his will for their lives as a family”.  Pastor Victor charged JaeKyung and WooBin with six counts and to each, they responded.

 - "We will!”  JaeKyung and WooBin were both as nervous and excited as they were at their wedding.  They were by far the least Christ-centered or spiritual of the F4 couples, but for Hana, they wanted to give it their all.

Pastor Victor called up Jihoo and Ilana, the first F4 Godparents.  WooBin and JaeKyung knew if anyone could keep them on task, it would be them.  "Yoon Jihoo and Ilana Contreras, you have accepted WooBin and JaeKyung’s request for you to be godparents to their child.”  Like with JaeKyung and WooBin, Pastor Victor gave them a series of questions.

 - “We will!”  Jihoo and Ilana responded.  They already prayed for their friends and their children and would do anything for them.  They were not pledging to do anything new.

Pastor Victor then took Hana from WooBin, making her face scrunch up and her lips pout, she whimpered a bit and then let out a howl when she wasn’t given back to her Appa.  Mianhae Hana-yah, I’ll be quick.”  He bounced her a bit, trying to get her to calm down.  JaeKyung caressed her daughter's head, soothingly.  "If everyone will pray with me and extend your hand out to this family…Heavenly Father WooBin and JaeKyung have brought their family before You today.  I pray first for them as parents. I pray that You would give them grace and wisdom to carry out their responsibilities. And help them to be godly examples in their home. I pray that their home would be a place where each lives for the other and all live for You.  And for Hana, today we dedicate her to You.  I pray that she would be raised in the nurture and admonition of the Lord and that she would be trained in the way she should go. And I pray that one day she would trust You as her own personal Savior for the forgiveness of sin. Amen.”

With Hana still howling, everyone began to clap in earnest and looked forward to dinner.  Pastor Victor handed Hana to JaeKyung and pronounced an additional blessing on the couple in honor of their third wedding anniversary.

 - “Ooh Hana-yah, it’s okay.  Pastor Victor is very nice, deh?”  Ilana also tried soothing the crying baby in JaeKyung’s arms.

 - “You guys, go ahead and get in line for food.  I’ll go nurse Hana.”

 - “Deh, thank you, Pastor Victor.”  WooBin shook the Pastor’s hand.

 - “Anieyo!”  The Pastor waved away any gratitude.

 - “Wait!  Let’s get a picture of all of you together,” HyungJun stopped them all from dispersing.

 - “Hana-yah, Gwenchanayo?”  YiHyun asked the baby.

Hana had calmed down a little, now that she was back in her Mother’s arms. Hana-yah, Gwenchana?  One more picture?”  JaeKyung’s pitch rose as she spoke to her daughter. Dtal is so pretty in her hanbok.”  Kissing the top of Hana’s head, JaeKyung nodded, letting everyone know Hana was not opposed to another picture.

 - “Hana…Dol…Set!”  With that, the picture was taken.

Ilana and JanDi had been famished and didn’t complain about the piles of food their husbands piled onto their plates.  Back at their table, Jihoo placed the plate of sweets out of his wife’s reach when she went to grab the favor box that included several different rice cakes.  Sarang needs to eat her meal first.  Na don’t want you to fill up on sweets and not eat.”  She had developed a sweet tooth as of late and tried to monitor her diet.  It was hard enough getting her to gain the weight, but he wanted her to gain it in a nutritious manner.

 - “When do I fill up on sweets?”  Jihoo picked up meat and rice with his chopstick and brought it to her lips, forcing her to open or drop the food down her dress.  Sarang!”  Ilana covered as she chewed.  Mmm…,” the bulgogi was delicious.  Jihoo repeated the process with spicy pork.

 - "The caterer's kimchi is daeback! JanDi said.  "Not as good as Umma's but very good for caterers."

 - "Deh, it's been awhile since I've tasted JanDi Unnie's kimchi.  Na remember it had a very good taste."  It made Ilana's mouth water just to think about it.

 - "If it doesn't make you gag, na will teach you how to make it."

 - "Chinchayo?"

 - "Deh!"

 - "JanDi-ah, that wouldn't work."  Jihoo couldn't resist teasing his wife.  "Anae only craves Korean food when we're in Los Angeles."

This made GaEul giggle.  "Jihoo-yah, you can't control what you're craving."

 - "Anieya?  Wae does nampyon make fun of me?"

Jihoo kissed her cheek, "Deh, majayo!  The first week we arrived how many times did Sarang want Mexican food?"

 - "That was just..."

 - "Gwenchana Ilana-ssi," YiJung came to Ilana's aide.  "With JeongYul, Jagi wanted the Ginger Wasabi ice cream she tasted in Singapore once.  And with JeongHee, it was cinnamon ice cream blended with chili choco chips, chocolate-covered toffee pieces, and a molé fudge swirl, from the states.  Do you know how hard it was for the confectioner Na hired to recreate?"

While GaEul was horrified at the memory, JanDi and Ilana laughed.  "YiJung-ah, chinchayo?  Na thought you found those flavors at the local store?"

YiJung was having a good time with his wife.  "Jagi, you kept mentioning those ice cream flavors for two weeks straight both times.  Na had to do something."

 - "At least with GaEul and Ilana it's normal things.  All JanDi wants is rice, occasionally with egg or fish, but other times it's just rice.  She says it's full of nutrients..."  JunPyo looked to Jihoo for confirmation.

 - "Gwenchanayo, she could be craving worse things," Jihoo eased his friend's worries.

While all their friends were enjoying their food and good company, the little Song princess was overdue for her dinner and let her Mother know.  "Deh, deh,” JaeKyung placated her baby.  Hajiman Hana won’t enjoy her dinner if she’s all wet, deh?”  JaeKyung hadn’t gotten immune to her daughter's cries but learned not to panic and calmly proceed with what she was doing.  Placing Hana on the bed on top of a changing mat, she signed to the baby.  “Change, arraso?”  JaeKyung hooked her fingers together in the sign for ‘change’.  Remaining calm, while Hana still cried and squirmed, Umma removed the damp cloth and quickly snapped in the dry one.  “All done,” she signed to Hana and placed the wet diaper in a sealed bag.  “Now, let's go back to your party.  Appa is going to give Hana her lunch, deh?”

WooBin was walking around greeting guests and saw his wife come back into the banquet hall.  He took his daughter from the cruel Mommy who wasn’t giving her any food.  Hana was still making her hunger known and not understanding why Umma wasn’t letting her nurse.  “A-ppa, begopayo!!”  JaeKyung said in Hana’s voice.

 - “Deh?  Eottoke?  Umma palli!”

 - “Hana-yah, baby…see?”  She handed the bottle to WooBin after a generous shake. Bottle,” JaeKyung cupped her hand as if drinking from a bottle.  Milk,” she said squeezing her hand, simulating the milking of a cow.

 - “Umma,” WooBin smiled.  “Na don’t have time for lessons!  Nomu begopayo!"  Hana was already on the bottle as if her life depended on it.  WooBin walked back to the table with all their friends and JaeKyung piled a plate with food for the two of them to share.

 - "Annyeong hasseyo, Imo, Ajussi.  Jwosongmanida, Umma wasn't feeding me.  Nomu begopayo."  Everyone smiled at WooBin and Hana.

 - "Nado begopayo!"  JaeKyung sat down and ordered wine be poured for her and the rest of the table.  "Nae Hana is such a good girl, she lets Umma eat while Appa feeds her."  WooBin who had been an expert at wooing the ladies was now an expert at sweet-talking his daughter, who looked upon him with complete gratitude for her bottle.

 - "Yeobo, make sure you hold the bottle so she's not drinking air," the bottle had special liners to avoid that problem.

 - "Hana-yah, Umma thinks we don't know what we're doing."

JaeKyung laughed at her husband.  "Anieyo!  Appa just doesn't have as much practice."

 - "Hana-yah, isn't Appa the one to give you your bottle?"

 - "Deh, Appa!"

 - "Let's toast!"  JaeKyung said. 

 - "Deh!"  JunPyo agreed.

 - "To more gatherings of the F4 family," WooBin said.

 - "To all our children, present and future," Jihoo smiled mischievously at his wife, who shook her head at him.  Their HaEun wasn't even born yet and he was already thinking of the next one.

 - "Deh!  That they all have the same bond as the F4 and be each other's support in everything," JanDi put in.

 - "To being parents together."

Ilana didn't make a wish, everything had been said already.  They all had so many blessings and from the little stories she'd heard, they all came from a place so far to be at this stage of life.  The Bible says:  "Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching."  Ilana thought they were all gathered happily today because of their parents.  Good or bad there was always something to learn.  With the Lord's help, Jihoo, herself, and the other F4 parents will be good examples for their children and each other's children.  "Yesu, pour your love and blessings on all those assembled.  It's not that we need money, but may the businesses prosper under our dutiful care, so that we may be able to bless others with employment and the less fortunate with food.  Let these be the lessons our children learn.  Work hard for the money you earn and bless others with it."

They all clinked glasses around the table.  The woman all indulged in a small portion only.  "Mmm...it's been so long since I've had a glass of wine!"  JaeKyung savored every sip.

 - "Na think we'll have to find a new pastime," WooBin told his wife.

 - "Na was thinking the same thing."  Prior to Hana, they would enjoy spending the evening at a wine bar, sharing a bottle of wine over good music or poetry readings.  The wine will now have to wait until Hana was no longer nursing and perhaps instead of wine bars, the venue would be their bedroom and the Bose sound system for music.

Ilana glanced over to the other end of the hall where the kids were enjoying themselves on trampolines, bouncing beach balls and going through mazes and obstacles.  JaeKyung had hired one of the best party planners for the occasion.  "The kids are having so much fun.  InHei's braid is practically falling out already."

 - "Deh!  Na worked so hard to get her braid in place."

 - "Our JeongHee and HaEun will be running and jumping with all their chingu before we know it.  Time goes by so fast," GaEul sighed.

 - "You look forward to each new stage with excitement, but then you look back and wonder where the time went."  JanDi placed a hand on her round tummy.  "InHo, na promise to take it slow with you."

 - "InSu," JunPyo said under his breath.  JanDi scowled at him.  The others, not missing the interaction, began to laugh.

 - "Na think HaEun will be blessed with her Unnie-duel and Oppa-duel.  Although InHei-yah will be so much older than all of them, she probably won't give them any attention."

 - "InHei-yah loves babies, Na think she'll want to go into teaching or be a pediatrician."

 - "I wonder what Hana will be when she grows up?"  JaeKyung said.

WooBin had finished feeding Hana and she now slept peacefully in his arms, while his wife fed him from the plate.  Swallowing a mouthful, he said:  "Hana will be the best at anything she does."

 - "Aigoo," JaeKyung clucked her tongue.  "I'd hate to see you at her first Taekwondo match."

 - "Anieyo, na princess has bodyguards to protect her.  Na won’t let my princess get hurt doing Taekwondo, she'll be in ballet."

JaeKyung laughed even more.  "There’s the national swim team?"  She thought of JanDi and InHei.

 - "Hokshina she'll be an idol and Uee will be her mentor."

 - "Or she can rival JunPyo’s Umma as the most successful chairwoman."

WooBin shuddered thinking of how JunPyo's Mother used to be.  He wanted his little sweetheart to always be sweet.  "Anieyo, when adul comes, he can take charge of JK group and Song Enterprises."

 - "JeongYul already shows an appreciation for pottery, Na don't think we'll have to worry about what he'll do."

 - "Jagiya," GaEul, gave her husband a warning tone.  "JeongYul and JeongHee will do what's in their hearts.  As long as it's honest work."

 - "Na think a child can be groomed to appreciate their parent's work and want to accept the responsibility for it when they are an appropriate age.  Hajiman, they should never be forced or have the burden of it, placed on their shoulders.  YiHyun Hyeong left home because of the pressure and YiJung, you almost couldn't bear it either."  Jihoo words were very wise to Ilana's ears and she squeezed his hand in affirmation.

 - "Na was fortunate the other partners kept things running until Na was ready.  Also, most of their children took positions in the company.  I... could neglect my duty to my parents quite easily."  This time Jihoo squeezed his wife's hand in support.

Not liking to see the self-reproachful look on his wife's face, Jihoo .  "Deh, as soon as HaEun is born, we'll start working on our next child.  This way HaEun can share the burden of both our businesses."

 - "Yoon Jihoo!"  Ilana tried to untangle her hand from his, so she could sock him.  "Nampyon is going to get it when I get my hand free."  While everyone laughed, Jihoo held tightly to her hand.

 - "Na like that idea," WooBin had already placed Hana in her carrier and was free to reach over and kiss his wife.  "Hajiman, na think we'll practice a few times before making Hana a dongsaeng."

 - "Na will be happy to practice with nampyon," JaeKyung returned her husband's kiss, slowly.

 - "Aish!!  You two need to go back to your suite," JunPyo complained.

 - "Dude, we need to catch up!"  WooBin joked.  "My bro Jihoo and I are down one kid!"

 - "WooBin-ssi don't give nampyon ideas!"  Ilana said.

 - "Too late," Jihoo joked.

Four hours later, Jihoo and Ilana lay comfortably in their suite.  Ilana, having put in a full day at work, was much too tired to make it back home.  Thankfully, Jihoo packed for just such an emergency.  "My feet hurt," Ilana complained as she snuggled closely to Jihoo, but too tired to sleep.

 - "Should na massage your feet and legs?"

 - "Shiro, that would require me to move."

 - "Arraso, jaljayo."  Jihoo closed his eyes, but Ilana wasn't ready to fall asleep yet.

 - "Na had fun tonight."

 - "Mmm..."

 - "It was Nice to see YuJin and IlWoo today."

Uee had arrived while everyone was beginning to dance.  She and her husband paid their respects to WooBin and JaeKyung and immediately hugged Ilana.

 - "Omo!!!  Look at your tummy!"  Uee exclaimed.  "Yah!  Wae don't you put more pictures up on twitter.  The cat doesn't count!"  Uee scolded Ilana for only sharing pictures of her cat.

 - "Yah!  Joy likes having her picture on social media," Ilana joked.  "Wae were you so late?"

 - "Song Sajang scheduled me for a photoshoot and it ran late," Uee mock glared at WooBin.

 - "Ah, chincha?  IlWoo-ssi talk to Song Sajang and make sure this doesn't happen again.  He should be more careful with Uee's schedule."

 - "Yo man," WooBin said.  "She's in Seoul to work, not play."

 - "Deh, Sajangnim," Uee played along with WooBin.  She knew it would be hard work being in the entertainment business, but she didn't mind as long as she saw the fruit of her labor.  "Omo!!  I'll be in a drama soon.  Na can't believe I got the role of the female lead!"

 - "Wau, chukahae!  IlWoo-ssi is proud of his anae?"

 - "Deh, Na just wish Sajangnim would have picked a better role."

 - "Yah!  If she's able to pull this character off, she can do anything!"  WooBin was excited about the role.

 - "IlWoo-ssi is jealous of the first male lead?"

 - "Anieyo!  It's just the role.  It's a bit sad.  Being a detective, na wouldn't wish that situation on nae anae."

 - "What is the role about?"  Jihoo asked in curiosity.

 - "She's not very nice at first," Uee laughed.  "But...she's facing something really life-shattering.  Though she's a strong person and doesn't act or fit the mold of a victim and someone kind of comes along and helps her with the aftermath.  She softens up just a little toward the end."

  - "Victims come in all types," Ilana said with a half-smile and leaned into Jihoo for his comforting warmth.  "I'd like to see it when it's out.  Let me know."

Iliana had quieted when she remembered about the Drama Uee was filming.  In sharing her testimony, she'd met a few victims of ual attacks like the one Uee described.  They only pretended to be strong, but really could use someone to keep them going.  Then there were the victims like herself, who really wanted the help, but didn't think she deserved it.  "Sarang, are you asleep?"  Jihoo asked as she was suddenly quiet.

 - "Anieyo.  Na was just thinking about Uee's drama.  Naega glad I can share what Yesu has done in my life.  Even if Na can be there for one person.  That's one more person who's not alone and blaming themselves for something that was out of their control."

 - "Deh, it's easy to blame yourself.  It's a way of thinking that had you done something different, the situation could have been avoided."  Jihoo thought of his parent’s accident.  He would never know if the accident could have been avoided if he hadn't been playing around.  But the Lord had taken from him the weight of the guilt he carried all his life.  He wouldn't realize it until years later.

 - "Sarang?"

 - "Mmm...?"

 - "I'm too tired to sleep."  Ilana couldn't believe they had danced for over an hour without sitting.  "JaeKyung is a slave driver when it comes to dancing."

Jihoo laughed.  "Is anae ready for that massage?"

 - "Deh..."

After Ilana sat up in bed with all the pillows at her back, he began slowly with her feet that had been just a bit swollen earlier.  Confined to their heels all day long, it was no wonder.  Ilana relished his intimate touch.  lovemaking was getting sometimes complicated with her growing belly.  She was back to being shy in front of her husband, but his simple touch was something she could never shy away from.  She found comfort and pleasure from simply holding hands as much as the way he explored her body during their intimate moments.

The foot massage led to a leg massage which led to further activities leaving them with that blissful exhaustion that would let them sleep until almost eleven the next morning.


February 28, 2016

YoungSaeng's contract with CI Entertainment had officially begun on February 1st.  He had gone home to spend time with his family after being discharged from the army and was now living in HyunJoong's vacant apartment.  Both the agency and apartment were in Gangnam and it served him well, while he got used to his new routine and until he found his own place.  He worked on his voice and dancing with company instructors and on his own daily.  It was almost like being at boot camp all over again.  By the time his day was over, he was too exhausted to do anything but sleep.  He would start recording his first album in May.

One of his own stipulations on the contract was the use of ILC Group & Hyung & Hyun studios for marketing and photography.  Neither Mina nor HyungJun & YiHyun wanted to be paid for their time, only materials.  After a year, if CI was still pleased with their work, they would be added as subcontractors for the company and paid accordingly.

 - "Is Mina-ssi sure Ilana won't be upset that you are using the company's name for free?"  He had asked.

 - "Anieyo, we are getting free marketing as well.  Also, I'm using my own time to work on YoungSaeng-ssi's concept."  No matter what time she got home or how busy she was at work, Mina spent a little time each day jotting down ideas, doodling or surfing clothing trends and what other idols were doing so as to come up with an original style.  If they were successful with CI Entertainment, this would branch out ILC Seoul in the direction of entertainment like the Los Angeles office had also been doing for the last two years.

Mina dressed carefully and set out to meet YoungSaeong in Myeongdong for a day of trying on clothes.  She was his personal shopper for the day and was looking forward to spending the day with him.  Having only seen him once since his discharge, she'd taken great pains with her appearance.  Even if she told herself he was only a friend, the more she saw him or spent time with him; the more she wished it was more than that.  She'd been taught a woman doesn't make the first move and couldn't break that habit.  The few dates she had been on were because her parents arranged them.  Dressed in a taupe dress over black tights and a rust-colored jacket with wool lining and long boots, Mina sat on a bench in front of H & M and waited.  Inadvertently she smiled to herself as she thought that one day she could say she knew YoungSaeng back when he was just in the police choir.

YoungSaeng arrived and saw Mina smiling to herself from a distance.  "Paboya," he muttered from a distance, but couldn't help smiling himself.  He'd missed seeing and talking to her.  They had only met once, this month, to celebrate HyungJun's discharge and for some reason, neither one acted beyond common courtesy due to the friend of your friends.  It had been awkward.  They talked and even laughed together at Maknae, but it wasn't the same as when they'd gone to the Noreabang (Karaoke bar) and spent Christmas together.  There were no long and deep conversations over Soju and banchan.  He knew she was shy, but then she would blurt things out of and make him laugh or make him think.  She was definitely someone to share a drink and a good meal and good conversation with.  Not like one of the guys, but easy-going and comfortable like the guys.  She didn't try to act girly or weak, she acted upon her mood.  Sometimes playful and sometimes thoughtful and if he irritated her she wouldn't just pout but get very angry and tell him off.  It was nice not to start his career amongst complete strangers.  He decided to wake her from her daydream and let her know he was here.

 - "Mina-ssi is laughing by herself?  Na think she has been working too hard."  YoungSaeng walked up to the bench where she sat and had the satisfaction of making her jump.

 - "Heo YoungSaeng-ssi!!  Heo YoungSaeng-ssi should know better than to sneak up on people like that."  Mina's heart still pounded from the fright and all he could do was laugh.  "Yah!"  She socked him hard on the arm as if he were her younger brother.

He stopped laughing and gripped his arm.  "Ah!!  Is this the way to treat Oppa?"

 - "Deh!  I guess YoungSaeng-ssi doesn't want my help.  I'll just go shopping myself and call your agency to tell them you weren't cooperating."  Getting up from her seat, she began walking quickly away.

YoungSaeng went after her.  "Mianhaeyo, mianhaeyo!"  He did the signature Korean wrist grab stopping her in shock.  Mina didn't know whether to laugh or hit him again.  "Mian...such a temper!  Let's go in the store," he hadn't let go of her wrist and was now dragging her along.

 - "YoungSaeng-ssi...?"  This would not do.  Friend or not, she really felt uncomfortable and she dug her heels refusing to move.

 - "Kaja," he tugged again.

 - "Let go of my wrist, juseyo?"  She smiled but was about to kick him if he didn't release her.

 - "Oh?"  He released her wrist slowly.  "Gwenchanayo?"

 Mina took a deep breath, hoping not to sound rude.  "YoungSaeng-ssi, Ara...that it’s very common to grab a yeoja's wrist, but not in the U.S.  It's very uncomfortable.  Had you been someone Na didn't care for, I would have kicked you and made a scene."

 - "Oh," YoungSaeng didn't even think about it his actions.  He was that comfortable with her.  Mina jumped in when she saw his puzzled and concerned face.  "YoungSaeng-ssi, Na didn't mean to be rude, it's just that..."

 - "Gwenchanayo...Na appreciate Mina's honesty.  If we will be working together, we should be comfortable enough to honest with each other, deh?"  Now it was Mina's turn to look worried.  "Deh?!"

- "Deh!"  She shouted back at him with a smile on her face.

 - "Kaja?"

 - "Deh."  They walked into H&M and went straight for the men's department.  Mina became quiet and focused on her job and began pulling things off the rack.

YoungSaeng made a face at a shirt she pulled out.  "YoungSaeng-ssi, trust me."

He sighed.  "Arraseo, hajiman call me Oppa.  YoungSaeng-ssi feels like we're strangers."  Now Mina made a face.  "Wae anieyo?"

 - "Anieyo!"  She was blushing to her horror.

 - "Choahyo, na will just call you Mina yang."

 - "Annchoahyo!"

 - "Dangshin?"  He .  That was extremely forward even between friends.

 - "Anieyo!  Ajussi should try these on," she threw a bunch of clothes at him.

 - "Ajussi?  Chinchayo?"

Mina giggled.  It was easy to call him Oppa while being sarcastic but didn't know if she could continue with a straight face.  "Nae chingu?"  She asked tentatively.

He shook his head 'no'.  "Oppa."

 - "Orabeoni, deh?"  When he didn't agree or disagree, she shoved him toward the changing rooms.  "Deh, deh, deh.  Nanneun choahyo.  Orabeoni must come out after each outfit.  Na will take a picture."

 - "Arraseo Mina yang."  Mina restrained the urge to stick her tongue out at him.

YoungSaeng tried outfit after outfit.  Long shirts, short shirts, sweaters, jackets, suits, solids, patterns, plaids.  After an hour of not being able to exit the dressing room, YoungSaeng had had enough.  "Hajimaseyo!  I'm done!"

 - "Orabeoni, hajiman..."

 - "Anieyo!  Mina yang had me try at least a hundred different items."

 - "Arraseo!"  She grinned at the cross look on his face.  "Orabeoni, begopayo?"  Her brother always got cranky when he was hungry.  She figured YoungSaeng was the same.

 - "Deh...Mina yang can treat after torturing me for the last few hours."  Grinning, he turned and went back to the dressing room to change.

 - "Yah!  Wae?  Orabeoni is the idol and will make lots of money."

 - "Not an idol yet...When Na release my first album, Na will treat Mina yang to one of the best restaurants in Seoul."

 - "Chinchayo?"

 - "Greomyo!"

 - "Yagsogyo (Promise) Orabeoni?"

 - "Deh."

 - "Arraseo, na will hold Orabeoni to his promise.  Where should we go?"  Mina tapped her finger on her chin as she thought.  "Orabeoni anchoa vegetables.  Orabeoni only likes junk food.  Arraseo...3:15 or Gyeyeolsa in Jongno-ru."

 - "Begopayo, whichever line is shorter."

YoungSaeng, Mina noticed, liked to eat and in turn, it made her eat more.  "It's been ages since I've had Southern Fried chicken.  It feels sinful.  I'll have to run several miles to work all this off."

 - "If you must work out, might as well be for a good reason.  Come train with Orabeoni.  Mina yang will work off her lunch in a few hours."

 - "I have to work...," she pouted.

 - "Mina yang won't get in trouble with Sajangnim."  YoungSaeng never brought up Ilana, he didn't know why he'd mentioned Mina’s CEO.

 - "Deh!  Marketing has more work than we can handle at the moment.  Ilana said she'd look into hiring someone else before she left.  That reminds me, ILC Seoul is having a small reception for their one-year anniversary.  Orabeoni should come."

YoungSaeng smiled a little sadly. Anieyo gwenchanayo...na have to practice."

 - "Hajiman Orabeoni is one of our clients now and entitled to come.  When did Orabeoni last get a chance to see Ilana?"

YoungSaeng shook his head.  "Anieyo, Na will send her my congratulations later."  Though the ache had subsided in his heart, he didn't want to take the chance of it re-opening again.  He was happy for her and her family but thought it would be too awkward to see her.

 - "Oh, arraseo."  Mina bit into a piece of chicken to avoid him seeing the disappointment in her face.  Putting the piece of chicken down, she pushed her plate away.  "Orabeoni, I'm full.  Let me wash my hands and we can look at the pictures Na took, deh?"

 - "Deh."  YoungSaeng waited until Mina was out of sight before he facepalmed himself.  His behavior wasn't fair to Ilana, but it wasn't like she needed him now that she was happily married.  This, of course, was nothing but an excuse, but he wasn't ready to face her yet.  When he left for the military he promised to come back a better Oppa and didn't think he was there yet.

Mina returned from the restroom to see YoungSaeng deep in thought.  "Orabeoni didn't drink enough to be drunk," she said, walking up to the table.  "Gwenchanayo?"

 - "Deh," YoungSaeng shook his head to clear it.  "Na was wondering what to send Ilana as a congratulatory gift.  Na was thinking of calling the others and sending a floral spray."

 - "She'd scold Orabeoni for spending money but would be honored at the gesture."

 - "Deh," he chuckled knowing his dongsaeng.  "Arraseo Mina-yang, which of the outfits did you like?"  It was time to get down to business.

It was getting dark by the time YoungSaeng and Mina's shopping date was over.  They had gone back to H&M for a blue suit with a short Jacket, some shoes and an oversized turtleneck and black skinny jeans.  YoungSaeng had insisted on escorting Mina to her apartment.  She dozed off on the train and he had to wake her up.  "Omo!  Mianhaeyo!  Orabeoni should have woken me sooner."

 - "Eottoke, Mina yang looked so peaceful.  Na almost considered not getting off the train and letting you sleep."

Mina laughed.  "Omo!  We'd both be late to work tomorrow!"

Without thinking, they began to walk through the park, not ready to call it a night.  "Has Mina-yang adjusted to life in the republic?"  YoungSaeng asked to break the silence.

 - "Deh," she answered readily.  "Kansamnida to Orabeoni's chingu-duel."

 - "Nomu seulpeoyo (sad), Orabeoni has done nothing to ease your transition."

 - "Deh!  Na looked forward to hearing Orabeoni sing each week.  Orabeoni didn't know he was helping me fight off being homesick."

 - "Eottoke?"  He was touched but didn't know how hearing the choir sing helped her homesickness.

 - "Mollahyo...it was something to look forward too and the week went by faster."

 - "Haengbokhaeyo (I'm happy), Na was able to help.  Hajiman, wae did Mina yang decide to come to the republic?"  Mina grinned, a bit embarrassed.  "Wae?!"  YoungSaeng insisted.

 - "Mollayooo!"

 - "There must be a good reason behind Mina-yang's red cheeks."  On impulse, he briefly covered her cheeks with his hands making her turn even redder.  Mina turned her back on YoungSaeng's laughing.  "Yah, na promise not to laugh, juseyo?”

 - "Chinchayo?"

 - "Deh!"

Mina covered her eyes so as not to see him.  "Na wanted to meet Korean idols."  Sneaking a peek through her fingers, she noticed he was smiling but not laughing.  She continued.  "Na was already thinking about it before Ilana's wedding and then Na saw Kim HyunJoong-ssi and Orabeoni and his chingu.  Na thought you all were idols.  Mollah!  Na thought it would be very interesting to get to know all of you and how you live, what you think of Americans...mollah, Na just wanted adventure.  And to immerse myself in a culture not my own."  Mina braced herself to get laughed at or scolded.  "Orabeoni?"  She looked up to see him smiling, but not spilling over with laughter.  "Orabeoni is not making fun of me?"

 - "Anieyo, that's how Na felt about learning Japanese.  Except for the idols."  This made Mina laugh, mostly in relief.  "Has Mina-ssi run into many idols?"

 - "Anieyo, na have been too busy working and don't get out much.  Only with Emily and YiHyun Unnie.  Na did go to Paju to visit HyunJoong-ssi."

YoungSaeng frowned in memory of all that his friend had been through.  "What did Mina-yang think of nae Sunbae?"

 - "Choahyo!  He's very kind and genuine just like Na have read.  Hajiman...YoungSaeng-ssi..."

 - "Ah?  Mworago?” He'd caught her using 'ssi' again.

 - "Mianhae, Orabeoni!  Orabeoni is kind and genuine.  Na... hope Orabeoni stays that way and doesn't let fame go to his head!"  Mina had heard all about how meticulous he was with his hair and couldn't resist messing it up.  She took off toward her apartment building, screaming.

 - "Yah!  Just wait until Na get my hands on you!"  YoungSaeng was much more agile after the army and now with dance practice every day, he caught up to her easily.

Mina was not about to be beaten and ran full speed to her front gate.  "Safe!"  She called timeout as she leaned on the gate out of breath.

YoungSaeng stopped running and walked toward her slowly, he did hate his hair getting messed with and she was going to pay for it.

Half cowering against the door, Mina stretched out her arms.  "Mianhae!  "Mianhaeyo!  Jwosongmnida!!"

Reaching past her defenses, YoungSaeng began attacking her hair.  "Mina-yang thinks it's funny to mess Orabeoni's hair?"

 - "Anieyo!  Anieyo!  Ahh!!"  She was laughing and screaming.  By the time he was done, her perfectly straight hair was a complete disaster, looking like a bird had come and made its nest in it.  They were both weak with laughter.  Mina steadied herself with a hand on his arm and tried to smooth her hair back into place with the other.  "Pabo Orabeoni!"  She slapped his arm.

YoungSaeng couldn't contain his laughter.  Her hair reminded him of a basket of twigs.  He wanted to feel sorry and think that he'd gone too far, but it had been too much fun.  "Is Mina-yang angry at Orabeoni?"

 - "Deh!"

He knew she wasn't angry.  "Anieyo!"

 - "Wae anieyo?  Na can be angry with Orabeoni."

 - "Mina-yang is trying hard not to laugh anymore."

This was true, and a giggle escaped from .  With both hands, she smoothed her hair back into a reasonably tidy mess.  "Better?"  She asked YoungSaeng.

 - "It would be better if Mina Yang had a hat."

 - "Aaaish!  Na will leave first, and Na will not say jaljayo," she turned to enter the gate code.

 - "Anieyo!  Anieyo!!"  He was about to grab her wrist and just lay his hand on her arm.  "Mianhae...na don't want to go yet.  Let's go for drinks."

Mina smiled when he almost grabbed her wrist and didn't.  She felt he had really respected her as a woman and a friend.  "Aish, eottoke (what should I do) with na lonely otter Orabeoni.  We both have to work in the morning."

 - "It's only nine."

 - "It's only nine, he says.  Back home many people work at seven or seven-thirty in the morning, so they can leave early."

 - "Chinchayo?"  That was way too early In YoungSaeng's opinion.  "Does Mina-yang work those hours?"

 - "I did when it was just TaeYoung-ssi and myself.  Now that we have more staff and hopefully be hiring again soon, na keep normal hours."

Mina entered the code to the gate again and YoungSaeng thought she would leave him standing there.  "Yah!  Where is Mina-yang going?"

 - "To brush my hair, is Orabeoni going to come up or just stand here?"

YoungSaeng shook his head with a smile and followed her.

While Mina brushed her hair, YoungSaeng stepped out onto her balcony to enjoy the view.  It took longer to take the elevator to the apartment than for Mina to brush her hair.  "Orabeoni?"  Mina came back to her living room and didn't see YoungSaeng at first.  Feeling a draft, she realized he was outside.  "I'm ready,she stepped out onto the balcony.  He had her lights and seemed quite comfortable.  "Mina-yang has a very nice view of the Island."

 - "Deh!  This is wae Na fell in love with the place and Appa had to help me.  It was more than I had saved.  Now Na have enough to renew the lease one more year.  Though it's nice to have an extra room, Na don't really need it.  The one-bedrooms are just as spacious in the living room."

 - "It's a very nice apartment.  Choah Mina-yang's apartment better than HyunJoong Sunbae's."

 - "Is it really the one we saw on Barefoot Friends?"

 - "Deh.  Is Mina yang a big fan?"

 - "Jogeumyo," she said, with an embarrassed smile.

 - "Gwenchanayo, na won't tease you."  He noticed she was avoiding eye contact.  "If it was anyone other than Sunbae, na would have to scold you."

 - "Ah deh?"

 - "Deh!"

YoungSaeng didn't feel like getting up anymore but just wanted to hang out.  With or without alcohol.  He couldn't believe how easily conversation flowed between them.  With Ilana, he always had to coax her to talk.  "Na thought Orabeoni wanted drinks."

YoungSaeng sighed.  "That was before Na sat down."

 - "Lazybones," she laughed.  They were quiet for about a minute, gazing down at the city lights.  Mina suddenly got up to turn on the patio chimney.  "Orabeoni, na have a nice bottle of sparkling wine a client gave to me and some cookies.  Will that be as good as soju?"

 - "Chinchayo?  Mina-yang doesn't mind?"

 - "Anieyo.  Orabeoni looks comfortable.  We'll waste more time going out.  Stay there and Na will open the wine and make snacks."

 - "Na will help."

 - "Anieyo!"

 - "Deh!" He was already behind her.  "Where are your wine glasses?"

Fifteen minutes later, they were back outside.  YoungSaeng expertly popped open the sparkling wine that was already conveniently chilled.  He didn't miss teasing her about that while she threw crackers with cheese and assorted fruit in the broiler.

 - "You never know when an occasion for sparkling wine will arise?"  She said innocently.

 - "Ah, deh...how many namja chingu has Mina-yang invited over?"

 - "Mworago?!"

 - "Mina-yang should see her face," he laughed.  "You shouldn't let your face get so red.  It makes me want to think you have had namja Chingu in your apartment."

Now she was getting angry.  "The only namja chingu that have been in my apartment are Jun & KyuJong Oppa.  Along with their yeoja chingu.  And now YoungSaeng-ssi.  If Na should not trust you, you can leave."  She pointed to the door.  A very rude gesture, she knew, but didn't care.

 - "Yah, yah, yah Na will be nice and not make Mina Yang angry."

 - "Kansamnida for inviting me to stay," YoungSaeng savored the wine and bit into one of the snacks.  "Mina must have many chingu back home."  He liked her personality, she was kind and intelligent.  Her parents too were very inviting people.  Those types of people were very friendly and outgoing.

 - "Waeyo?  Does Orabeoni not remember Umma telling you Na was the only yeoja in our circle of chingu?  Yeoja only used me to get to them and namja wouldn't dare go near.  In college I was able to get some breathing room, hajiman by then Na didn't know how to live without my shadows."  Mina laughed at herself.

 - "Algesumnida (I understand).  Going from the ship to the military wasn't difficult, except Na had my own room on the ship.  Going from the military back home was difficult.  On furloughs Na would sleep on the living room floor, Na bedroom was too quiet.  When Na was discharged, it took me at least two weeks to be able to sleep in nae room.  Na made abeoji sleep on the floor with me a few times."

 - "Poor Abeoji!"

YoungSaeng poured them the last glass of wine.  They had been talking for about an hour.  "Gombae!"  He tapped her glass with his.  “When Na release my first album, Na will move next door to Mina-yang.  We can drink and talk on your balcony every night."

 - "Andwae!"  Mina leaned her head back and laughed.  The wine had quickly caught up to her.  "Nae liver couldn't handle it."

 - "Jeongmalyo!  Choah these apartments."  They were quiet and tucked away, but still close to Seoul Metro.  Soju had more alcohol by volume than sparkling wine, but he could drink soju all day long and not get drunk.  The sparkling wine made words slip off his tongue.  "How long will Mina stay in the republic?"

 - "Mollahyo, Na am a marketing VP here.  Na would never have that title back home.  Wae?  Orabeoni is trying to get rid of me?"

 - "Mollan anjii!  Na would miss my number one fan."

 - "Ilana can be your number one fan."  As soon as the words left , Mina noticed the smile fade from his eyes.  "Orabeoni?"

 - "Anieyo," he shook the melancholy feeling from his head.  "Ilana has Jihoo uissanim.  It wouldn't be appropriate.  Mina yang is not allowed to go anywhere."

Mina was relieved to see the smile back in his eyes.  Downing the last drop of wine, she stifled a yawn.  "Omo, what time is it?"

YoungSaeng looked at his phone.  It was past eleven.  "Chinchayo?  Ah, Mianhaeyo, it's past eleven!"

 - "Jeongmalyo?  It's been over two hours?"

 - "Deh, mianhaeyo, Mina yang will be tired for work."

 - "Gwenchanayo, na don't have to worry about having the office unlocked for the yeoja with Ilana in town.  If Na drag my feet in the morning, I'll just have to endure teasing."

YoungSaeng was able to hide his face while putting his jacket on.  He'd heard she was back in town of course.  He stayed away for both their sakes.  He didn't want to say or do anything that would unintentionally hurt her.  He didn't think his ignoring her could also hurt Ilana.  "Don't forget to turn off the fire," YoungSaeng gestured to the patio chimney.

 - "Deh...na will walk you to the door.  Hajiman, will Orabeoni be alright?"  She was concerned about him getting home.  "Will you be able to find a cab?"

 - "Deh...ara where they usually gather.  Na can always walk to the train station as well."

 - "Arraseo, be careful."

YoungSaeng laughed at her worried brow.  "Aigoo, gwenchana."  He took his finger and smoothed her forehead, surprising her.

 - "Oh?!She stepped back in shock.  "I can't help it.  If we were in Los Angeles, Appa would never let nae chingu go home alone at this hour."

 - "It's much safer in Seoul than in Los Angeles.  Mina yang should sleep and not worry over Orabeoni.  Naega a retired police officer.  And I've dropped you off this late before."

 - "Hajiman...you've never left directly from inside my apartment.  I'm responsible for Orabeoni now.  Just call when you get home."  Again, led by years of hugging and kissing her friend’s goodbye and the added alcohol, she gave YoungSaeng a light hug and a quick cheek to cheek kiss.  "Que Dios te bendiga y te proteja."

 - "Mworago?"

 - "May God bless you and protect you.  It's how my parents always sent my friends and me off.  I'm surprised they didn't say it the day you were all here.  I'm sure they were thinking it."

Mina wore a faraway grin on her face that YoungSaeng found very endearing, reaching out he pinched her cheek.  "Gwiyeowoyo."

 - "Ah!!  Orabeoniii!!!"  Mina rubbed her cheek when he finally let go.

 - "Jaljaeyo Mina-yang," before she could smack him, he ran out the door.

 - "Aigoo...pabo."  Mina couldn't stop the smile on her face as she watched his retreating form.


February 29, 2015

Ilana and TaeYoung were both in the office before Mina arrived.  She'd gotten ready for bed and sat back on the couch to wait for YoungSaeng to call her when he reached the apartment he was staying in.  It was around one A.M when she was falling asleep still waiting.  Realizing he never called, she woke in a panic at six A.M. and called him twenty times until he finally answered.

 - "Yah!!!  Do you think it's funny to let someone worry about you?!  You didn't even have the decency to send a simple text!  I thought we were friends, but you could care less about how I would feel?"  She laid into him as soon as he said a sleepy 'hello'.  Perhaps she expected too much from her new friend, but none of her friends had ever not called.  Even Emily and YiHyun had sent her a text to let her know they arrived back safely.

 - "M-mina?"  YoungSaeng was now shocked out of his sleep by the woman on the other line.  She was so angry he could hear her breathing hard on the other end.  "Jwosongnmida?  Na forgot!  What-what time is it?"  He rubbed his face trying to wake up.

 - "It's six.  Now that I know you're safe I have to get ready for work."

 - "Wait!  Mianhae, Na didn't think.  The champagne made me so tired Na could barely keep my eyes open.  Jeongjunghi sagwa deurinibada juseyo (please accept my sincere apology)."

 - "Mollah..."  She really had been worried.

 - "Yah, did Mina stay up waiting for me to call?"  When she didn't respond he knew she hadn't gone straight to bed after he left.  He felt horrible.  "Aish!  Umma doesn't even make me call her when Na leave."

 - "Excuse me for looking out for my friend's safety.  Jeon haru jwaseyo!"  She hung up the phone seething.  "No regard for the thoughts of others."  Was she being irrational, she wondered?  Perhaps the lack of sleep made her oversensitive.

YoungSaeng didn't quite understand what was going on.  Had he really worried her?  He thought it sweet but at the same time a little uncomfortable.  Was she really upset at him?  He had enough on his conscience with Ilana, he didn't need to add Mina as well.  He called her back and received her voicemail.  He hung up and tried again and again with no luck.  He finally left a voice message.  "Mina yang...mina-ssi...Agassi...jagiya...mianhae...don't be like this.  Deh, Orabeoni is a pabo sometimes.  Chinchayo jeongjunghi sagwa deurinibadajuseyo, Na didn't mean to worry you.  Orabeoni will make it up to you.  Ara you're busy, call me when you have time, deh?  Mianhae, Na can't say I will never be so inconsiderate, but Na will give my best not to be.  Jabal, believe me.  Mianhae Mina yang, call me, juseyo?"  After ending the message, he took a selfie with a sad face. He hoped that would convince her.

 - "Mina-yah, you're so late?"  Ilana had an early Doctor's appointment and had also just arrived.  She hadn't even stepped foot in her office.

 - "Deh, jwosongmnida sajangnim, Na overslept."

 - "Gwenchanayo you're never late and it surprised me."

Mina had yet to turn on her phone, she didn't want to know if he'd called her back or not.

 - "Sajangnim, na will be sending nae assistant Soo JeonHeyeuk-ssi for some consulting work today," TaeYoung advised Ilana the status of the architectural department.

 - "Deh, Chi Geonchugga (Architect Chi) we'll get you an intern after our one-year anniversary.  Ara Chi Tae Young-ssi came to ILC to avoid the long hours and it seems like you still have them."

 - "Anieyo!  Na can at least take one day off now, and Na have two assistants, and back up from ILC Corporate if needed."  Chi TaeYoung was quite pleased with the way things were going.  The first few months, the only help he had was at the corporate office, but now he had an assistant and an assistant in training.  With an intern, he'd have most positions covered to free his time.  Eventually, they would need another architectural team, but they didn't have the need for it yet.

 - "Kansamnida for your understanding as we continue to grow."

 - "Anieyo, jaega grateful to be a part of the growth process."

 - "JiNa-ssi, make sure to confirm with Shinwa catering and the KJ for the anniversary celebration."  Ilana gave instructions to their admin.

 - "Deh, Sajangnim.  Our investors have all confirmed and many of our clients.  We should have plenty of food."  Ilana ordered a catered appetizer reception as well as a KJ for entertainment.

 - "Mina-ssi, na will help you and Miri tomorrow while you decorate the conference room and the halls.  Mianhae, that Na can't help you with the decorating."

 - "Anieyo!  Uissa would kill us, if we let you climb a ladder.  As it is since you've been here, you leave at a reasonable time, but I see your emails late into the night."

 - "Deh, hajiman I need to work while I still have energy."

 - "Sajangnim shouldn't stress," TaeYoung added.

 - "Na will stress if I can't work!"

 - "Ilana-ssi is incorrigible!"  Mina rose from her desk.  "I need coffee."

 Ilana walked back into her office, but TaeYoung followed Mina.

 - "Fill my cup, juseyo?"  Mina poured for TaeYoung then herself.  "Gwenchanayo?  Mina seems preoccupied."  TaeYoung had become like a much older brother in the few months she'd lived with him and his wife.  He was similar in age to Brendon and Juan Carlos.

 - "Jogeumyo.  Is it obvious?"

 - "Ara you're a quiet person, reserved, but you always have a smile on your face.  Even if you were homesick.  Namja trouble?"  Mina looked up startled.  "Kaja, let's go to my office."

They finished preparing their coffees and walked into the office.  "It's not namja trouble, exactly."

 - "Mina-ssi, if you're not homesick or having a hard time at work, it means a namja is involved."

This made her smile.  "Na just tend to overreact at the dumbest things and I can't help it.  Is it because Na wish he was namja chingu, not just chingu?"

 - "Does he know your regard for him?"  Mina shook her head 'no'.  "Have you been chingu long?"

 - "Deh and Ani.  I knew him before he knew me.  We've just hung out a few times, nothing special.  Na don't want to mention anything to our mutual chingu for fear of the expectations."

 - "Mina-ssi, you're not a child, but a successful yeoja.  Be yourself, it seems you two are just getting to know each other.  Namja don't like to be rushed, but when Mina thinks he's ready, drop him a clue.  He might be struggling with his own insecurities and not realize you feel the same way."

 - "Deh, majayo.  We really don't know each other.  Na don't want a relationship based only on physical appearances."

TaeYoung saw the dreaming look on her face as she thought of his physical appearance.  "Aish!  Yah!  Get back to work and stop daydreaming."

Mina laughed, "Kansamnida Chi Geonchugganim!"  Bowing exaggeratedly, she left his office and returned to her desk.  Turning on her phone she saw the numerous missed calls.  The selfie made her smile and laughed at his voice message.  "Jagiya?  Tch!  Since when?"  Mina muttered as she listened.  "Alright, I'll give you another chance."

 - "Sunbae?  Did you say something?"  Mina's assistant asked, overhearing the muttering.

 - "Anieyo Miri-ssi, I was just talking to myself."

 - "Arraseo," the woman chuckled.

Mina placed her phone in her desk drawer, deciding to let YoungSaeng stew for a while before calling him back.


March 2, 2015

 - "Chukahae on ILC's one year!"  Jihoo woke Ilana up with much fanfare.  Ilana smiled but didn't move immediately.  After a long day at the office, they spent the evening with Pastor Victor, celebrating one year since their reunion, one year since Ilana made her solo debut, one year since the Lord delivered her right into Jihoo's waiting arms.  Though they only shared a meal with the pastor, the time flew, and they returned home late.  Ilana had so much to do today and needed a little extra push.  "Sarang needs to get up or I'll throw you and HaEun in a cold shower."

 - "I can be a little late," she burrowed herself into her husband's side.

 - "Anieyo, na have work to do if Sarang wants me at her reception tonight."

 - "Deh...," she pouted.

 - "Bpo bpo and then Sarang has to get up."

 - "It has to be a good kiss."

 - "Is Sarang being greedy?"

 - "Deh!"

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4-lRviF3uS-ZhdcwN9V7IyWVTObJgM-v-ypR0YUKrkrhDxikl

Ilana was in the bathroom, touching up her face when Mina came in.  It was still cool enough at the beginning of March to wear the same red dress she'd worn to Hana's dedication/JaeKyung and Woo Bin’s anniversary party.  "Is Jihoo Uissa on the way?"  Mina asked.

 - "Yeeess," Ilana couldn't help smiling at the thought of her husband.  Especially their morning kisses.

 - "I don't want to know what you're thinking."

 - "Mworago?!"  Ilana asked innocently.

 - "Ilana, you don't mask your feelings anymore."  Though Ilana's thoughts were innocent enough, Mina's words made her blush.  "See!"

 - "Ah!!  Knock it off!"  Ilana playfully shoved Mina away from her.  "How's the downstairs?"

 - "It's really nice, I'm glad we decided to hold the reception downstairs instead of on the floor.  The balloon arch makes a nice touch as you enter, and we've gotten several floral sprays."

 - "Really?"

 - "Shinwa sent two..."

 - "Really?!  That JunPyo doesn't know how to do anything on a small scale."  She was touched that Jihoo's busy best friend would think of her company.

 - "Ah, there's also one from Su-Am foundation."  Mina rolled her eyes at Ilana's dreamy smile.  "Hanssem sent one and so did a few of our other clients and your friends."

 - "That's very kind of them.  Remind me to ask Jihoo if we send ‘Thank You’ cards?"

Mina looked down at Ilana's feet which were in slippers.  "Feet hurt?"

 - "A little."

 - "Did you elevate your feet while you worked?"

 - "Yes, but pregnant or not, my feet don't like being stuck in heels all day.  I have a pair of flats I can change into later."  Ilana had just finished her face when her husband texted to tell her he was on the way.  "Jihoo will be here any minute."

Mina sighed at Ilana's look of anticipation.  "You two are very much still newlyweds; despite HaEun.  HaEun-ah Umma and Appa are as sweet as honey.   Very sickening."  Mina pat Ilana's bump.

 - "Oooh!  She heard you."  HaEun shifted lazily.  "HaEun-ah heard Imo?"

 - "Greomyo she knows her Imo."

Both women laughed.  "I'm going to put on my shoes and wait for Jihoo downstairs.  TaeYoung and his wife are probably already there.  Don't take too long."

 - "Deh Sajangnim!"

Ilana rolled her eyes and went back to get her shoes.

The building lobby was full of delicious treats.  Traditional western appetizers were served alongside a few Korean banchan such as fried dumplings, savory pancakes, and gimbap.  Balloon clusters adorned the wall and ceiling and there were about six different flower sprays, creating a hall for guests to enter.  "Princess!"

Ilana heard someone calling her.  There was only one person who called her 'Princess' even now.  "Oppa!  Unnie!"  It was early enough for no guests to arrive, she quickly hugged the two.  "Every time we see each other you guys are always working."  Ilana felt odd, paying her friends to work for her.  But then if she was going to pay complete strangers, she might as well pay her friends.

 - "Gwenchana, ILC is a good paying customer."

 - "Junnie!"

 - "Oppa!"

 - "Aish!  Can't take a joke?"

Ilana stuck her tongue out at HyungJun, just as Jihoo walked up to her.  "Sarang!  Is that any way for the Sajangnim of ILC Seoul to act?"

Ilana jumped nervously at her husband's scolding, but then quickly walked up to him and wrapped her arms tightly around his middle inhaling his scent.  "Deh!  That's exactly how the CEO of ILC Seoul acts.  Besides Junnie Oppa started it."

Jihoo untangled himself from his wife to give her a kiss before guests began to arrive.  "Na can feel Sarang's heart beating.  Nervous?"

 - "As if it was the first day in front of the investors all over again."

 - "That's not good for HaEun.  HyungJun-ssi, please make nae anae argue with you so she loses her nervousness."

 - "Deh, Uissanim!"

 - "Ah, the rest of the F4 will be stopping buy at one point this evening."

 - "Talk about nervous!"

 - "Gwenchana, their only chingu."

 - "Only friends he says," Ilana muttered, making Jihoo laugh.  She still hadn't quite gotten over the awe that the wealthiest families in the republic would be associating with her.  Nor that she was now one of them by marriage.  She could care less about their net worth or hers and despite that, they still extended their hand of friendship to her.

 - "Ilana, it's almost time for guests to start arriving.  You and Uissa and your V.P.'s should form your receiving line."  YiHyun shooed them along, while her Fiancé went to round up TaeYoung and his wife and Mina.

As guests began to arrive, Ilana recognized some of the tenants from the building and a few of their clients and subcontractors.  Their investors all arrived together in a flashy display of entitlement that made Ilana a bit nervous.  She was grateful for Jihoo's solid presence.  The F4 arrived fashionably late, along with Hana in tow.  JaeKyung still didn't leave her or put her down if she could help it.  "Hana-yah!  So nice that you came."  JaeKyung had Hana facing outward in her Ergo Baby and Ilana the soft round cheek.  "Where's JeongHee and the other kids?"  Ilana asked.

 - "With the babysitter, Umma needs a short break,” GaEul answered.

 - "Na could never bring InHei to these kind of things," JanDi said.  "She'd cling all over us once she got bored.  InHo is more than enough for the moment."

JunPyo cleared his throat, "InSu.”

Jihoo and Ilana shared a smile.  Evidently, JunPyo and JanDi hadn't settled on a name.  "Nae Anae will say you didn't have to come out tonight, hajiman she's honored that you did."

 - "Yo, we had to support or Bro and his wife," WooBin smiled.

 - "Ilana-yah was so pleased she had Shinwa groups floral arrangement first in line," JunPyo said proudly.

Ilana glanced at Mina, who was also greeting guests next to her and TaeYoung.  That had to have been her doing.  "Deh, Mina-ssi thought they should take a prominent place as being our best man and JunPyo-ssi is like a Sunbae to me.  Na could learn so much from you and your company. She wasn't lying or over exaggerating.  He was number one for a reason and the little research she'd done for the Macau trip had left her impressed.  That and despite his busy life, he remembered her name almost a year after her stay in Macau.

ILC's Upper Management smiled and shook hands of the guests as they arrived.   Once many guests arrived and were enjoying the refreshments, there was a lull at the door.  "Sarang should formally open the party," Jihoo suggested.

Ilana took a deep breath.  "Arraseo."  Walking to the middle of the lobby, she clapped her hands together, getting everyone’s attention.

 - "Mina-yang, it's been a while."  Mr. Rim, Jr. Had never given up hope of wooing Mina, even though he had just recently been engaged.

 - "Deh, chukahaeyo on your engagement.  Na would love to meet Rim-ssi's fiancé.  Would you introduce us?"

 - "Ah, she wasn't able to come.  I'm sure she wouldn't mind if we spent some time discussing business.  Na believe Mina-yang never took me up on my offer of a tour of the city.  I know where we can get the best view of the night lights."

Mr. Rim, Jr. was the slimiest of playboys.  She was forever grateful to TaeYoung for distracting him that first meeting so that she could leave unnoticed.

 - "Ah, mianhae, na can't hear Ilana.  I'm going to stand over by Chi geonchugganim.  Annyeong hasseyo," Mina Politely inclined her head and walked to where TaeYoung and his wife were.

 - "Exactly One year ago, after a lifetime of struggles, I signed the papers that made it official: I had breached the final frontier in making my Father's dream of a global company real."  Ilana began after a formal greeting and introducing herself.  "I had no idea what to expect as this was all orchestrated by God.  ILC Corporate had begun to specifically Market to the Korean community in my native California and I had just been handed the reigns of the project by my VP when my project manager found out from one of the geonchugga-deul that his cousin Chi geonchugganim would be interested in signing on with our company, but here in the Republic.  Without knowing the outcome, I boarded a plane to my future.  ILC-Seoul was born, this property was purchased, I was married in less than a month and Rodriguez Mina-ssi was on her way to head the marketing department here."  Everyone clapped, for Mina and TaeYoung.

"God doesn't call the qualified but qualifies the called.  It was never my dream to lead ILC Group, but through my research expertise, I knew ILC Seoul was possible.  God brought me Chi geonchugganim who had the architectural experience I didn't and later Rodriquez Mina-ssi, who was also raised to be a part of ILC.  My team at the corporate office is unprecedented, from Park JungMin who has successfully met the needs of many of your family in California and recently Peru and Washington state, to my VP of Marketing, Antonio for his confidence in me and his dedication to ILC Group, Attorney Lee for answering all our legal questions and my board of trustees for throwing your hat in with me.  Lastly, to my husband and all our friends for their overwhelming support.  Ilana heard the loud cheers of WooBin, YiJung, and HyungJun.  Of course, I can never forget all our clients for trusting us with your buildings and your marketing needs.  A year is not a long time, our branch is still in its infancy.  On the other hand, a year in a sector that has so much competition is an achievement we can be proud of.  It means we have successfully delivered our product to our consumers and established your trust.  To my investors, it means they've gotten a return on their investment.  A year ago, I stepped off the plane as a foreign woman with only God's word that I needed to come to Seoul.  Today I can stand here confident that the teams at ILC Corporate and ILC Seoul have furthered my Father's dream and year one is just the beginning of our relationship with the people of this beautiful republic.  Kansamnida, for being here to celebrate with us.  Masitkke deuseyo (Enjoy your meal)!"  Ilana finished her speech, which she gave in English.  She had basic Hangul but wanted to speak from her heart and not from a piece of paper.  Mr. Rim, Sr. did her translating.

 - "Not bad for a novice speech giver."  JunPyo complimented her.

 - "Kansamnida JunPyo-ssi!"

 - "Tch," JaeKyung rolled her eyes at JunPyo.  "Ilana was great!  What are you talking about?"

 - "Ara she's great," Jihoo wrapped his arms around her from behind.  Ilana let herself fall back against his chest and be enveloped in his praise.  For no reason whatsoever, other than complete happiness, the tears began to slip from her eyes.

Ilana's staff, namely TaeYoung, Mina, MiRi and JiNa all came over to congratulate Ilana on her speech.  "Uissanim, did you have to make her cry?"  Mina complained, making Ilana smile.

 - "It's not his fault, I can't help it."

Jihoo turned his wife to face him and he dabbed her face with his handkerchief.  "Sarang, wae?"

 - "Haengbokhaeyo (I'm happy)."

 - "Nado Sarang, all praises to Yesu for his blessings upon us." He pulled her into his embrace and Ilana felt the tears falling once more.

 - "This is what JiNa, MiRi and I have to deal with all the time," Mina teased the sweet couple.

 - "Mina-ssi will understand when she has someone to love," TaeYoung said.

 - "And pregnant," his wife added.

 - "Mina is like Brendon Oppa back home," Ilana turned to face them.  "PDA's drive him crazy!"

 - "YoungSaeng Hyeong too!"  HyungJun said.  "Na wish he would've come.  Mina-yah couldn't convince him?"

 - "Ah...anieyo," Mina tried not to sound nervous at the mention of YoungSaeng.  No one knew of her growing crush on him or how often they had met.

 - "He's busy since he got out of the army, Oppa."  Ilana defended him.  "He'll come around when he's able."

Mina detected a hint of sadness in Ilana's voice, but wouldn't know why.

 - "Deh," Jihoo also defended Ilana's missing Oppa.  "I'm sure there are many things that require his attention at the moment.  Once his pressing issues ease up, he'll come around."

 - "Deh, Uissa," YiHyun said.  "Junnie and Ilana were used to seeing him every day on the ship."

  - "I remember, now," JaeKyung said.  "Your Oppa that walked you down the aisle said he was your best friend."

JanDi remembered the man that had met Ilana at the airport the first time they had met her.  Also, when they all flew together for the wedding, there was some issue with him.  It seemed he didn't know why he was there.  There was something more to their relationship and Jihoo, it seemed, knew everything.

 - "Deh," Ilana smiled a little sadly.  "Such a pabo.  He's my best friend and he doesn't even call or text to say hi."

 - "He doesn't call us either!  If it weren't for Mina-yah inviting us for a meal at her house, we would never have seen him.  He probably wouldn't have even told us to do his photoshoot."  HyungJun complained about his Hyeong.

 - "Mina-yah, take care of our otter prince, he's a special one," Ilana said.

 - "Mina-yah, no pressure.” teased YiHyun.

 - "Don't let your namja chingu find out you're entertaining another namja."  TaeYoung couldn't resist.  Little did he or any of them know the one they thought of as her namja chingu was, in fact, the very one she was supposed to be watching over.

 - “Aish!  I don't have a namja chingu!  Tae Young-ssi, wae do you always tease me.  As for your Hyeon..," Mina addressed HyungJun.  "Eottoke!  All I'm doing is working with his agency regarding marketing?"

 - "Leave her alone," TaeYoung's wife soothed Mina's ruffled feathers, while everyone else laughed.  "It's awkward for a namja to be chingu with a married yeoja.  Uissanim wouldn't appreciate his anae spending time with another namja, deh?"

 - "Majayo," Jihoo gave his wife his 'serious' face to which Ilana answered by poking him in the side.

 - "Ilana-ssi's chingu is just being respectful."

 - "Deh," Ilana acknowledged TaeYoung's wife.

 - "Oooh!  People are starting to do Karaoke!"  JaeKyung said excitedly.  "I'm going to wait in line."

 - "Anieyo!!” WooBin and the other F4 men shouted.

 - "Waaaeee?!"

 - "Jagi, just stay by my side with Hana, deh?"  WooBin caressed his wife's cheek and kissed his daughter's fuzzy head.

 - "Arraso," JaeKyung pouted.

 - "ILC group, kaja.  Let's split up and make sure everyone feels welcome."  Ilana addressed her team.

 - "Deh, Sajangnim!"

They all spent about an hour mingling with the guests.  Their tenants and customers were impressed that the CEO would even bother to say hello and spend a few minutes talking to them.  Ilana was tiring quickly and was glad the reception was almost over.  Excusing herself from her husband, she went to use the bathroom and ran into JanDi.  "Annyeong Unnie!  Pigonhaeyo?"

 - "Jeogumyo.  Gwenchana, Harabeoji and Uissa won't let me work more than a few hours a day.  Naega grateful to go out, even if annchoah social events."

 - "Unnie, Kansamnida for coming."

 - "Anieyo, it's an important night for you as the gala is for Sunbae.  We always make sure to support each other."  JanDi smiled her sincerity.

 - "Kansamnida!  You guys are daeback."

JanDi noticed Ilana was in heels and wondered if she wasn't tired.  "Ilana-yah, aren't your feet tired?  You worked all day?"

Ilana looked down at her feet, "jeogumyo.  Na had forgotten about them until now.  We only have an hour to go."

 - "Have you seen Uissa since your arrival?  Everything is well?"

 - "Deh, though he makes me nervous since Na haven’t seen him since the beginning of my pregnancy.  They had to take my blood pressure twice to make sure I wasn't getting gestational hypertension."

JanDi laughed, "he takes getting used to, but he loves his work.  Be careful, don't get stressed or you will be at risk."

 - "Deh," Ilana heard a familiar voice singing.  "It's HyungJun Oppa!  Kaja!"

JanDi and Ilana went out to see Hyung Jun playing it up for his fiancé, singing to her and dancing around her much to her embarrassment.  Finding their husbands, the two women listened happily to his singing.

 "...The Girl who enthralled me! The me who knows no one but you!

The Me who wants only you!

The Forever Girl! My heart for you only

The truth of my heart! This love song for you!

Oh, Girl, Girl, Girl, U Know! You’re my all!"

Ilana clapped and cheered for her friend until he opened his mouth again.  "Annyeong hasseyo!"  Ilana looked at Jihoo who was just as clueless to what her friend was doing.  "Kansamnida Contreras Sajangnim for celebrating ILC Seoul's one year with all of us," he paused for applause.

 - "Anieyo gwenchanayo!"  Ilana shouted at the crazy guy at the mic.

 - "Did you know, sajangnim is an excellent singer?  Should we call her up here?"

 - "Sajangnim...Sajangnim!"  He led everyone in a chant and Ilana was shaking her head 'No', even if she knew it was useless to protest. To not sing would be rude.  Mina, JiNa, and MiRi were already dragging her to the KJ.  Jihoo nodded at her, smiling, letting her know she'd be fine.  "Maknae, wait until I tell your Hyeong-deul," Ilana knew that was an empty threat.  The rest of her Oppa-deul would be carrying her bodily to the KJ stand.

 - "Ilana, I'll help you find something," Mina said.  She was faster at reading hangul than Ilana.

Thankfully, they had time while those already in queue went ahead.  It was difficult since Ilana didn't know many contemporary songs, much less female KPop songs. Oh, this one is cute," Mina pointed to 'To know him is to love him'.  "It's easy enough."

Ilana had her phone in a hidden pocket of the dress and pulled up the song.  "Yeah, but I'd rather sing a song I can mean."  Ilana continued to peruse the titles when one struck her as familiar.  "I've heard this song...Listening to the lyrics, she smiled.  It was a sweet love song and very much like her and Jihoo.  "This one!  Mina-yah, you dragged me up here, you pick one too."

 - "Andwae!"

 - "Oooh!  We want to hear Sunbae?!"  JiNa and MiRi had been hovering around the KJ stand to see what Ilana would be singing.

 - "Greomyo, Mina dragged me up here, she has to sing too."

 - "Daeback!"  The nosey Maknae was also loitering nearby.  "This is going to be so cool!"  He said in English.

All too soon, it was Ilana's turn.  She'd never sang Karaoke before.  "As long as we live, there is never enough singing," Isabel Contreras was fond of quoting.  If Yesu gave her this life, he also gave her this gift to use for Him, for herself, for others.  Taking the stand, as always, closed her eyes and let the Music fill her heart.  "To my muse," she said quickly.  (Music) "It's amazing how you can speak right to my heart

Without saying a word, you can light up the dark

Try as I may I could never explain

What I hear when you don't say a thing

The smile on your face lets me know that you need me

There's a truth in your eyes sayin' you'll never leave me

The touch of your hand says you'll catch me if ever I fall

You say it best when you say nothing at all..."

Bowing quickly to the applause, she took the mic once more.  "Kansamnida!  Please take care of nae Vice President of Marketing, Rodriquez, Mina-ssi!"

Mina glared at her as she took the mic.  Ilana quickly went to her husband and dragged him to the hall by the bathrooms.  "Choah?  Na ran out of breath in spots?"  Ilana asked.

 - "Mmm."  He had cupped her face in his hand.  Who would have ever said, that more than twenty-five years after his parents passed away, he'd finally meet someone that would fill his heart with music and he hers.

 - "Saranghae."  While Mina sang and gained confidence, Ilana reached up and brought her lips to her husband's and had one of those conversations only she could hear.

Mina was enjoying herself, she took Ilana's words to heart and sang a song that she could mean.  It didn't start that way, but by the time she was done singing, the song was dedicated in her heart to a certain someone that made life in Seoul worthwhile.  (Music)

Why can't he see?

How blind can he be?

Someday he'll see

That he was meant for me

 

Oh oh, to know, know, know him

Is to love, love, love him

Just to see that smile,

Oh, it makes my life worthwhile

To know, know, know him

Is to love, love, love him

And I do, I really do, and I do.

A cell phone caught Mina's performance and was sent to another.  While not a professional, Mina sang well enough and there was something in her countenance that made her audience believe what she was singing.


I had to re-do the entire Valentine's scenes as I was not happy with them.  Thanks, Midnight Onyx for your help, it's no fun when you're just plain stuck.  The next 2 babies will be due next.  Pray for a safe delivery.  ;)