Hanging On

Love Covers a Multitude of Sins

The perfect song for this chapter.  http://youtu.be/7pSB_N88W10

New York March 31, 2014

JaejoongI know you're busy, join me for lunch, please.  I want to show you something.  I promise you won't be disappointed.

Jaejoong hit send.  He'd been bursting at the seams since yesterday, but couldn't show up at Abigail's house unannounced on a Sunday afternoon.  He couldn't wait to show her the evidence he received.  He knew those two were up to something.

Abigaíl: If you know I'm busy, then why are you bothering me?

Abigaíl had been coming in a little earlier, which meant she had to get up early to drive and drop off Isabel earlier so she could be at the hospital early.  She was not a morning person and she hadn't even had her coffee.

JaejoongWould I still be bothering you if I bring you a nonfat hazelnut macchiato?

AbigaílExtra hazelnut syrup and whipped cream!

It was already looking to be an unpleasant day.  Ilana and Dr. Jihoo were not allowed to be out at the same time ever again.

JaejoongYou haven't said yes to lunch.

AbigaílDepends on how fast you get here with the coffee.

JaejoongAlready in the elevator.

He had been at the cafe waiting for an answer.

 - "Abi-yah, are you bossing Dr. Jaejoong around?"  Uee noticed the grin where previously there had been a frown.  Everyone knew to wait until Abigaíl has coffee before saying good morning.

 - "Is it obvious?" Abigaíl laughed. "I'm getting a hazelnut macchiato for my trouble."

 - "Has Ilana-ssi contacted you at all? ShiYoon was curious.

 - "She sent me some pictures a little while ago.  She's at an amusement park."  Abigaíl passed her phone to ShiYoon and then Uee.

 - "Aww, she's at Lotte World.  Oooh!!  That dress she wore at the wedding is so pretty.  Is that her boyfriend?   He's cute!"

 - "She says they're just friends."

 - "She may just be friends, but look at the way he looks at her."

 - "Ah, unrequited love, the thing that has been the subject of millions of Kpop songs."  ShiYoon said, making the two girls laugh.

 - "That's the truth," Uee agreed.  "We sing a few of those songs as well."

 - "What songs?"  Jaejoong asked as he walked up to Abigaíl "Your coffee, my lady," Jaejoong bowed.  He waited until Abigaíl took a drink and saw it was to her liking.  "Greon, I mean, so...do I get your company for lunch?"

 - "I suppose."  Abigaíl knew Shi-Yoon and Uee were watching and grinning.  Jaejoong really didn't make it secret that he was pursuing her.

 - "We were talking about Ilana's boyfriend and unrequited love."

 - "Ilana has a boyfriend?"

 - "It's just her friend YoungSaeng," Abigaíl cleared the misunderstanding.

 - "Deh, I thought they were getting engaged when he came to New York.  I'm pretty sure that's not the case.  Ilana is the unrequited love you're talking about?"

 - "Deh, Ilana sent a picture to Abigaíl of them at Lotte World.  You can tell he really likes her," Uee explained.  “Abi-yah, show him.”

 - "Mmm," Abigaíl had passed Jaejoong the phone.  "Ilana's affection is requited elsewhere," he said with certainty.

 - "Mworago/What?!"  The three responded.

 - "Shh!  Noona's going to kill me for distracting you guys."

 - "Yah!!!  Dr. Jaejoong, you better not be withholding valuable information.Uee demanded.

 - "I know nothing.  Mollah!"

 - "I think I know where you are going but there's no proof other than a very close friendship," ShiYoon voiced his opinion.

 - "We'll see.  Jagiya, I'll see you at lunch," Jaejoong began to walk away.

 - "Will you stop calling me that."

 - "Arraso, yeobo," Jaejoong hurried down the hall.

 - "What!?"  Abigaíl shouted and ShiYoon and Uee burst into laughter.

 - "Abi-yah, don't worry, it's another pet name couples use in Korea.  It means honey."

Abigaíl didn't know if she should be more worried that he was giving her pet names.

Abigaíl felt like she was doing three people's work; her own, Dr. Jihoo’s and Ilana's.  All thoughts of taking a short lunch went out the window.  She needed a break or she was going to scream.  The target of her wrath would be Dr. Jaejoong since he's the one she needed to sign things.  Thankfully, lunch came quickly. 

 - "Unnie, I'm going to lunch now," Abigaíl let SeungRyung know in case she was missed.

 - "Take your time dear, you deserve a break.  I'll have more time to help now the month is over."

 - "Are you sure?"

 - "Go on!  I expect you to take at least an hour or longer.  If you come back sooner, I'll write you up."

 - "Unnie!"  Abigaíl laughed.

 - "Shoo," SeungRyung waved her out the door.

Jaejoong and Abigail walked to 'Bamboo Sushi' near the hospital.  The place was always busy, but Jaejoong could always get a secluded table when need be.

He ordered the Sushi and Sashimi for two and hot tea for Abigaíl and a beer for him.

 - "Mianhae, you look worn out.  It's been hard filling in for Ilana?"

 - "A little, it’s just handling all of Dr. Jihoo's administrative duties as well as his coding.  Tomorrow Unnie will take over that responsibility for me and I can handle the rest no problem."

Jaejoong suddenly felt guilty.  He hated the administrative duty, that’s why he became a Doctor and didn't go into business.  "I've been giving you a hard time, haven't I?  I'm truly sorry."

 - "Actually, you haven't been half as bad as when Ilana is here.  I should thank you," Abigaíl grinned.

 - "Then you can thank me by having lunch with me for the rest of the week.  Your lunch partner isn't here, so you can't say no."

 - "Whatever."

 - "Then I'll pick up Isabel and you on Saturday for a day of shopping.  Umma will like that.  It's your choice."

 - "You're impossible."

 - "Just determined."

Abigaíl rolled her eyes at him.  "What is so important you had to bribe me to come to lunch with you?"

Jaejoong's face split into a boyish grin as he pulled out his phone.  "Check this out."  Abigaíl gasped.  She was staring at a picture of Jihoo and Ilana, she was straightening his tie.  "There's more, keep scrolling. The next one had Jihoo with his arm around close to or on her waist and still another hugging and what appeared to be a kiss.  It couldn't be distinguished exactly where the kiss was located.

 - "Is this Korea?"  Abigaíl asked completely shocked at the pictures.  "How did you get these?"

 - "I know people in security at Incheon.  She didn't leave the airport with him, another guy picked her up.  I think he's the one in the picture you showed me earlier."  He showed her a picture of YoungSaeng.

 - "Yes, that's YoungSaeng.  Why is she leaning on him like that?"

 - "My Source said she collapsed not long after going through immigration."

 - "What?  Is she okay?  Wait, she has to be, she sent me pictures of the wedding and Lotte World?  Dr. Jihoo wouldn't let her out of his sight if she wasn't, right?"

 - "The other lady in the picture is also a Doctor, the wife of Jihoo's best friend as is Jihoo's Grandfather.  She would not be able to escape three Doctors if she was truly sick."

 - "Still, you know how stubborn she is.  So, Dr. Jihoo is the good friend that was available.   Do you think there's something going on between them?"

 - "It's hard to say, even if the pictures paint a different story.  Jihoo is a different person around her.  When I saw them together at the wedding, it was like watching two strangers; not Jihoo and Ilana.  But he's very reserved and cautious, he has his reasons and I believe she does too.  But there's something there and if I know Jihoo, he'll try and ignore it; although, I don't think he can."

 - "I know she has a high regard for him.  They spend a lot of time together; he's kind of brought her out of her shell.  But I know she says she doesn't want a boyfriend."

 - "And he's come out too.  They're just taking their sweet time about it.  Jihoo can't be pushed into anything but he willingly rearranged his schedule for her."

 - "Dr. Jihoo is the only one that can push Ilana into anything.”

 - "What can we do?"

 - "Why don't we show them how it's done," Jaejoong brought his face dangerously close to Abigail’s.   Her eyes grew wide and she moved her face away from his.

 - "I-I think we should-eat."  The food had been served during their conversation.

 - "Arraso, can I bite those cute cheeks of yours."

 - "Dr. Jaejoong!"

He grinned and backed away.  Taking a piece of Sashimi in his chopstick, he took her chin in his hand.  "Open.”


Seoul, Republic of Korea April 1, 2014

Another early morning awaited Ilana.  A quick shower and breakfast and then she was on her way again.  They had kicked around the idea of going to the Jinhae Gunhangje Festival, but all the fun activities were at night and it would require an overnight stay.  There just wasn't enough time.  They opted for Yeouido Island.  The newlyweds would join them towards the evening as usual.  They had spent the night at the Lotte Hotel World.  While everyone trudged sleepily home, they just walked the ten minutes to their hotel room.

Once there, it was HyungJun's idea to rent tandem bikes.  They were an even number of people with Emily and her friends that had joined them.  Everyone agreed, minus Ilana, who had never ridden a bike before.

 - "Princess, what do you mean you've never ridden a bike before.

 - "I had a horse.  What need did I have of a bike?  We traveled a lot, so I usually wasn't home enough to need one but I always rode my horse, no matter what time of day we were home."

 - "Gwenchana, just pedal and I'll steer.  It can't be that different."  YoungSaeng laughed.

 - "So he says."

Ilana managed to not fall off the bike and enjoy the view.  The Island was compared to Manhattan and Yeouido Park as Seoul's version of Central Park.  They were pretty close, Ilana had to admit.  The Cherry Blossoms were in full bloom and absolutely breathtaking.  She couldn't wait to go back to the conservatory garden with Jihoo and see if the trees there had also blossomed. They came across a section of the park that was all fountains.  The temperature was in the low seventies and very pleasant.  Little kids on school holiday or younger waded playfully enjoying the warmest day of the week.

 - "Fountains!!"  Ilana stopped pedaling to point and almost upset her and YoungSaeng's balance had he not been able to stop in time.

He looked back at her slightly annoyed.  "Yah Cinderella, warn me if you want to stop next time."

 - "Mianhae, Oppa,” she grinned sheepishly.  "Can we stop and hang out for a bit?"

 - "Deh!"  HyungJun agreed.  "We can take a dip with the kids."

 - "Tch," KyuJong rolled his eyes.

His new friend Emily laughed.

 - "It's Cinderella's vacation, if she wants to stop at the fountain, we'll stop."

 - "Gomawo Oppa, you’re a nicer tour guide than Min."

 -  "Don't forget it."

 - "Anieyo, Oppa."  There was only one problem.  Ilana couldn't manage to dismount.  The seat was a little too tall and not used to bikes; she couldn't figure it out and was a little afraid of falling.  Everyone laughed until YoungSaeng steadied the bike and she used him to brace herself.  "Ugh, my legs feel like Jell-O. Her legs felt as if they were still pedaling.  YoungSaeng was there to help support her until she got her land legs back.

Most of the group immediately took shoes off and rolled up pants.  Ilana wore skinny jeans and wasn't able to roll them far enough.  She didn't need to go in; she was having fun just watching everyone.  HyungJun immediately began to chase YiHyun.  YoungSaeng hung out with Ilana as did KyuJong and Emily.  KyuJong also wore skinny jeans and Emily knew her friends would try and soak her.  Ilana took several pictures of everyone having a good time.  Putting away the camera, she stared at the water and dipped her hand in.  Not for the first time, she wondered what her childhood would have been like if her parents hadn't left her.  She smiled sadly at the little ones and their Mothers.

- "Ilana-yah!"  YoungSaeng called. He snapped a picture as soon as she turned.  They couldn't have timed it better; the fountain jets had just risen in the background creating the illusion that she commanded the waters to rise and fall.  "Perfect."

 - "Oppa, let me see?"

 - "Eeliwa (come here)."

 - "Wae," Ilana was already walking towards him.

 - "Look," he said as he swung his around her shoulders.  He pulled her close to him and snapped a selfie.  Ilana's wore a curious face in the picture.

 - "Pabo!  You could've warned me. Her Oppa was busy laughing and Ilana had to sock his arm, making him stop.

Still laughing YoungSaeng wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tight.  "Bogoshipulgawya."

 - "Miss or want to see what?"

 - "I'll miss you."

 - "Yah Oppa, I haven't gone anywhere yet, let me breathe," sliding out from his grasp, she saw him pouting.  Behind YoungSaeng was HyungJun ready to place his icy hands on his neck, Ilana took a giant step back.  Having accomplished what he set out to do, HyungJun took off running.  Maknae was faster than YoungSaeng and most likely knew he could get away with it, for today.  Ilana and YiHyun laughed at the two crazy guys.

 - “KyuJong-ssi," Emily laughed.  "Are you guys always like this?"

 - "Deh, we worked together for the last five years or so.  It will be strange now not to see each other every day."

 - "Emily, I spent four months with these guys.  They are always like this."

 - "Ilana, I have a younger sister and an older brother and several male cousins, I'm used to it."

By the time the two knuckleheads returned to the group everyone was hungry.  They took a timeout in a Korean traditional forest to eat the picnic lunches they had purchased.  Ilana lay flat on the grass, not minding grass stains or anything else.  She'd done more exercise in the last three days then she had in the last three months.

 - "Yah!  Eat," YoungSaeng scolded.

 - "I'm too tired."

 - "Ilana-yah, your chingu will kill you if you lose weight," KyuJong warned.   That was enough to get her up and eating.

YoungSaeng dusted the grass off her back a little roughly.  "Oppa!!Ilana complained, with a mouthful of kimbap.  He was grinning, not the least bit sorry.  She took a handful of grass and threw it in his hair.

 - "Yah!"  He shouted.  She stuck her tongue out at him as he shook the grass out of his hair.

 - "Princess, be careful, last time we did this you sprained your knee."

 - "Saengie Oppa knows his dongsaeng is tired and won't make me run."

 - "Chincha?  Hana, dol, set..."  Ilana screamed and took off as fast as she could which wasn’t very fast at all.  YoungSaeng caught up, grabbed her by the waist and pulled her to sit on the grass.  He took several clumps of grass and sprinkled them in her hair.

 - "Truce!  Truce!"  Ilana was laughing so hard she could scarcely breathe.  He relinquished his hold on her long enough for her to squeeze just above his knee.  That rendered him immobile long enough for her to try crawling away.  They were making quite a spectacle of themselves but having too much fun to care.  Ilana was about ready to stand but YoungSaeng caught her foot, knocking her back down.  Having a death grip on her ankle, he took off her shoe and was tickling her foot.  In between giggling, she tried to get him to stop.

 - "Hajima, Oppa!  I can't take it anymore, my stomach hurts from laughing!"

 - "Nado," YoungSaeng said, plopping himself on the ground next to her.  He laid his head on his arms face up and similarly, she lay face down.

 - "Oppa is a brat," Ilana said not moving.

 - "I'm still your favorite."

 - "Confident Oppa."

 - "Promise I'll always be your favorite Oppa."

 - "Ani," Ilana giggled.

 - "Yah!!"  He ran a finger down the length of her foot, making her squeal.

 - "Arraso!  I promise!  I promise!"

 - "That's better," he stood and helped her up.

They arrived back with the others, arms over each other’s shoulders, still drunk with laughter.

After lunch and following a bathroom trip to remove any grass left in Ilana and YoungSaeng's hair, they went to the KBS building.  They all got the chance to pretend to broadcast a radio show; YoungSaeng was the host and HyungJun got to be the musical guest, singing a special song just for So YiHyun. (Music).  Everyone else had other duties to fulfill and Ilana just laughed and took pictures.

When they Left the KBS building, the newlyweds were on their way.  The plan was to head over to Madame Tussauds Wax Museum, watch the sunset and grab dinner and maybe a movie.  In the meantime, they would wait for the newlyweds at the IFC mall.  KyuJong went to cruise the shops with Emily and her friends, So YiHyun preferred a smoothie and of course, HyungJun accompanied her, and YoungSaeng and Ilana waited at the Coffee Bean.  Ilana had a passion fruit tea latte and YoungSaeng a bottle of water; they played bejeweled on YoungSaeng's phone while they waited.

Ilana received a text.  "Who is it?"  YoungSaeng asked, afraid it would be the Doctor.

 - "It's HyunJoong, he wanted to know if I wanted to see him film part of the last episode of his drama and to bring you with and then dinner at his place after."

 - "Wau!!  This is a treat, we usually only drink at HyunJoong's house,"

 - "I'll text him back."

Within a few minutes, the newlyweds arrived and they rounded up the rest of the gang to walk over to the 63 building where Madame Tussauds was located.

 - "Ilana-yah, why do you have grass in your hair?"  Suzy asked.

 - "Mwo?  I thought I got it all out."

 - "Yah, agassi, who were you tumbling in the grass with?"  JungMin had plucked a stray blade of grass that had stubbornly clung to her sweater.

 - "Blame Saengie Oppa."

 - "Cinderella started it."

 - "Anieyo!"  Ilana protested.

 - "And you guys think Maknae and I are bad."

 - "You two are absolutely impossible when you get going, aren't they Unnie?"

 - "Deh!”

The Madame Toussade's in Seoul was smaller than the others, they were told by some other tourists.  It was like a mini version.

 - "Too bad we couldn't go to the one in Busan," HyungJun spoke.  “I've been dying to see Sunbae's statue."

 - "If I never see the real Kim HyunJoong ever again, I do not want to see a wax statue."  Ilana did not like the Museum at all; the statues gave her the creeps.  She tried to stay as close to YoungSaeng and away from the statues as possible but after a while, she couldn't stand it anymore.  That panicky feeling that left her breathless was starting to come up.

 - "Come on Cinderella; let's take a picture with your President."  YoungSaeng and the others and tried to push her towards the statue of Barack Obama.

 - "Shiro!"  Ilana felt a cold sweat come over her and she couldn't breathe.  She ran away from the gang, desperately needing to get out of there or she was going to be sick.  YoungSaeng and KyuJong chased after her, Ilana was disoriented and heading further into the museum instead of the exit.  YoungSaeng got a hold of her and she screamed.  "Paboya, it's me," he wrapped his arms around her and spoke soothingly.  Ilana felt herself sag against him; she was safe.  Safe from what, she didn't quite understand.  Still shaking, they escorted her out of the museum.

Sometime later, Ilana was safely away from the museum seated in a chair the building lobby.  KyuJong brought her a bottle of water from a vending machine.

 - "Gomawo Oppa."

 - "Gwenchana?"  Ilana shook her head 'yes'.  KyuJong proceeded to check her pulse which was racing more than usual and the color in her face hadn’t yet returned.  "Meoriapayo (headache)?"

 - "Just a little, it's going away.  Mianhae, I don't know what happened back there, but I was really weirded out.  They looked real but they were lifeless,” Ilana trembled at the memory.  “You know, I've never been to a funeral but I imagine that's what a dead person would..."  She began to gag as if she was about to throw up.

 - "Drink," YoungSaeng pressed the water bottle to her lips and rubbed her back in long slow .

After a few minutes, Ilana felt sufficiently composed. "Gomawo Oppa, I think I'll be fine now."  She managed a half smile and sat up, no longer leaning against YoungSaeng.  He felt cold without her next to him.

 - "I think we've allowed you to overdo it these last few days.  Two major parties in one day, Lotte World, biking," KyuJong said.  "It's a good thing tomorrow we're taking it a little easier."

 - "Gwenchana, it's my vacation."

 - "Deh, it's your vacation but I don't want a phone call from Dr. Jihoo asking why we tired you out."

 - "Anieyo, Oppa, he'll have no qualms about yelling directly at me."

 - "Why should he yell at you?"  YoungSaeng was angry that anyone would yell at his Cinderella.

 - "Hyeong, in case you haven't noticed, nae dongsaeng is a bit stubborn.  I think the scolding has done her good."

Ilana laughed at this truth.  "Deh, I think it has; although, I think I've tested Dr. Jihoo's patience to its limits at times."

 - "He seems easy going enough to be able to handle you without your knowledge."

 - "Yah!"

KyuJong laughed at her outrage, YoungSaeng didn’t.

 - "Anieyo, I'm glad you've made such good friends.  I'll let them worry about you while I'm in the military."

 - "I'm going to miss talking to KyuJong Oppa and HyungJun Oppa, at least Saengie Oppa will still be around for me to pester. She reached up and boldly messed up his hair.

 - "Nae Cinderella can never pester Oppa," the shy prince finally spoke.  No one other than Kim HyunJoong knew exactly when YoungSaeng would enlist and he wasn't ready to tell her yet.  "Kaja, he stood and pulled Ilana up too.  KyuJong-ah, we'll meet you guys up on the observatory floor, it's less than an hour until sunset."

 - "Arraso, I'll round up the others and we'll catch up.  Ilana-yah is feeling better?"

 - "Deh Oppa, don't worry about me; go have fun with Emily and her chingu."

YoungSaeng and Ilana walked around the Sky Art gallery for a few minutes before finding a bench to sit on in the observatory.  The others began to arrive, expressing their relief that Ilana was fine.  Everyone talked quietly amongst themselves as they watched the dark orange and red orb sink slowly into the ocean.

 - "Does this remind you of our time in New York?"

 - "Deh, that was so much fun.  Until I sprained my knee, that is."  Ilana braced herself hoping he wouldn't bring up the topic of his love for her again.

YoungSaeng noticed she was looking around at the others.  Did he make her uncomfortable?  He cleared his throat, "You wore the necklace I gave you."

 - "I told Oppa, I wore it every day."

 - "Chuah, at least I can be close to her heart in some way,” he mumbled, feeling emotional and trying to hide it but Ilana knew him well.

 - "Oppa...are you missing me already?  We still have one more day together and breakfast on Friday.  Is the ship going to be in Ft. Lauderdale soon?  Maybe I can plan a weekend trip, in a few months."

 - "Oh, mollah, I'll have to check."  Now it was YoungSaeng's turn to be uneasy, he hadn't told her he wasn't going back to the ship.

 -"Oppa, look, it’s going," Ilana tapped YoungSaeng's leg to get his attention. There was only a yellow line, where full circle had been just moments before.

 - "Wau, it's so beautiful."

 - "You're beautiful."

 - "Oppa, stop," Ilana pushed him playfully.  He brought his arm around her and leaned her head against his shoulder.

 - "Let's freeze time, we can all stay as we are - together, all of us."

 - "Mmm, like never growing up?"

 - "Deh, I never want to grow up if it means you can stay by my side."

 - "Oppa," Ilana grabbed his head in between her hands.  "Why do you act like you're never going to see me again?"  If she didn't know better, she would say this was an 'I'm breaking up with you for your own good' kind of moment.

 - "Anieyo," he removed her hands from his head but held them in his.  "Let's get dinner and a movie."

No one needed to ask Ilana what she wanted for dinner, everyone knew she wanted Korean food.  "I want to be so sick of Korea and Korean food, I won't miss you guys when I leave," was always her response.

 - "You can always stay," was always YoungSaeng's response.

They had a bulgogi dinner at the IFC mall and back to the 63 city building for the IMAX showing of Captain America.  YoungSaeng pulled Ilana out of the cab, in front of the hotel close to midnight.  He piggybacked her to her room as he didn't want her tripping over her half-asleep feet.  After saying goodnight to her pouty otter, Ilana brushed her teeth, washed her face and went straight to sleep.  She'd have to put more effort into her face and hair tomorrow since they would be visiting HyunJoong at the filming site.


April 2, 2014

They were off and running again that morning, with a full schedule ahead of them.  Ilana had barely enough time for a granola bar before the gang picked her up.  They headed for Gyeongbok Palace, Changdeok Palace, and Bukchon Village in between.  Ilana was in love.

 - "I could totally live here," Ilana said quietly.  There was no loud talking inside the palace.

 - "I don't think you'd take kindly to being a pawn of your parents or lady in waiting to a temperamental queen or princess."  KyuJong teased.

 - "I'm sure there would have been something I would be good at."

 - "Nae Cinderella can do anything she puts her mind to."

 - "Deh, Princess is the most stubborn yeoja I know."

 - "Yah Junnie-ah!"  So YiHyun smacked her boyfriend and potential husband on the arm.  "Mules are stubborn, yeoja are just persistent."

Ilana stifled a giggle at the funny couple and the face HyungJun was making.

Whatever he said he'd be in trouble with YiHyun so he opted for the smart choice which was to keep quiet. The palace tours were an hour each and they used the rest of their time exploring the village alley shops and snacking on many of the delicious treats for sale.  They had fish cakes, rice cakes, and the odd pastry.  No one was hungry for lunch, so they continued exploring and taking pictures, not just in the favored photo spots.  They were on time constraints and were only stopping for a few minutes at each shop or exhibit.  If Ilana or any of the other girls stayed too long in one place, one of the guys would drag them out of the shop.  Ilana was usually the one freezing in one spot, completely enthralled.  She had refused to leave the quilters shop, getting caught up in the colors of the fabric and the stitching.  She didn't know why she was fascinated now but not when Nana tried to teach her how to stitch.  Not coming out of the shop, YoungSaeng picked her up by the waist and took her out. "Oppa, you're mean."

 - "There's more to see," he dismissed her pouting.

There was so much more to see, they wouldn't have time for it all.  The non-Korean girls just had to visit the Lee’s House, which was a Korean Home Culture Experience.  They got to wear Hanbok's and learn about drinking traditional tea, about tea ceremonies, traditional manners, and making kimchi.  They spent a long time at this exhibit, the guys and YiHyun cheered them on.

 - "The hair comb agassi wears complements the dress," the ajumma told Ilana.

 - "Kansamnida, nae chingu gave it to me."

The ajumma looked up to see YoungSaeng looking at her.  He had stiffened when he heard her say a friend had given her the comb.

 - "Aigoo, the namja has good taste.  Agassi is yeppeun."  She obviously thought Ilana referred to YoungSaeng.

 - "Gomawo, ajumma.  Namja just likes to spend money."

 - "She has to be talking about that Doctor.  What other guy did she know who would've given her hair combs?"  YoungSaeng thought to himself.   He walked back outside, dejected.

 - "Aigoo, gwenchana," the ajumma waved a hand, dismissing the issue of money.  "Namja chingu is jahlsenggeehn (handsome)," she whispered.

Ilana smiled as she turned her head in the direction of the ajumma's gaze.  "Anieyo, just chingu," she waved her hands to trying impress upon the woman that she and YoungSaeng were just friends.

 - "Jeongmal?  What is Agassi waiting for?  That namja is in love.  Does Agassi have another namja?"

 - "Anieyo!"  Again, Ilana found herself waving her hands in front of her and her face getting warmer.  "Jeogiyo, I'd better change," Ilana excused herself from the matchmaking ajumma.  She walked out of the store with the other girls, a few minutes later.  Grabbing YoungSaeng by the arm, she asked:  "Where to now, Oppa?"

 - "Mollah, which way does nae Cinderella want to go?"  That simple gesture cooled his ire.  At least for today, she was all his, their last day together.

 - "Mollah, let’s just walk."

They wandered down different alleyways until Ilana heard music.  "Oppa, where is that music coming from?"  Ilana asked.

 - "I think there's a Korean classical music studio somewhere, let me check the map."  He looked at his map, then back up.  "This way guys."

Only a few yards away, they came across Gugak Sarang studio and all sat to listen for a little while.  Ilana was enamored with the music and could sit and listen all day.  "Oppa,” she asked YoungSaeng.  "Can you play any of these instruments?"

 - "Anieyo, I can only fake it on the keyboard."  Ilana mentally reminded herself to ask Jihoo the same question.

Too soon YoungSaeng was signaling Ilana it was time to go; she pouted and refused to go.  She had her eyes closed, letting the music fill her.

 - "Yah," he whispered.  "Ara you'll regret not saying goodbye to JungMin and Suzy."  The newlyweds were leaving for their official honeymoon in Jeju and they had all promised to see them off.

 - "Deh...," Ilana sulked as she got up from her sitting position.

 - "Stay with Oppa and you can come listen every day," YoungSaeng had thrown his arm around her shoulders as they left.

 - "Not every day, Oppa, I'd still have to work."

 - "Cinderella, we can form a duet and go into the music industry.”

Ilana began to laugh so suddenly didn't have a chance to open.  What came out was more of a raspberry, which made her laugh even more.  "Ugh, pabo," she said once her laughter had died down enough to speak.  "My singing days have been long gone.  Nae Oppa-deul should form a group and I'll start your fan club."

 - "Anieyo, Cinderella can only be my number one fan."

 - "Jealous Oppa."

They departed from Bukchon village and from Emily and her friends who were staying behind. After a twenty-minute cab ride, they arrived at Gimpo airport with a half hour to spare before JungMin and Suzy were to leave.  The great thing about traveling with a group is that cab fare divided by a minimum of four people was usually only two or three dollars each; although, they had all been taking turns just paying the entire fair.  Quickly they spotted the newlyweds cuddling on a bench, waiting for their boarding call.

 - "Suzy-ah!"  Ilana called.

 - "Unnie, Oppa, you made it."  Suzy embraced her friend.

 - "Yah, it took you long enough; we didn't think you were going to make it," JungMin complained.

 - "JungMin-ah, it didn't look like you were missing us too much," KyuJong teased the couple and JungMin blushed brighter than Suzy.  There appeared to be some truth in KyuJong's statement.

 - "I didn't know Mal could blush."

 - "Yah, Maknae, if you want to keep that cute face of yours, shut up.  When it's your turn to get married, I'd watch my back if I were you."

 - "Park JungMin-ssi, I'm not worried.  Suzy will keep you out of trouble."  So YiHyun made everyone laugh at the very true statement.  Suzy took advantage of her husband and s her arms around his neck for a sweet kiss.  JungMin didn't need encouragement and pulled his wife closer and deepened the kiss.  Everyone smiled encouragingly.  Who would have thought y Charisma would've been the first to fall.

 - "Saengie Oppa, I don't think we'll have to wait long to be Imo and Ajussi.This sent Suzy into a fit of giggles and JungMin pouting over their interrupted kiss.

 - "Yah, Ilana-yah," JungMin said.  "I'll make sure to interrupt your sweet moments with your nampyon one day."

 - "Arraso, that's never going to happen, it's an empty threat Park JungMin."

 - "That's jebu (younger sister's husband) now, Agassi.  I married your dongsaeng and never say never."  JungMin locked eyes with YoungSaeng and received a reluctant smile in return.

 - "Jebu?"  Ilana tried the name on her tongue.  "I can handle that.  Jebu is just as nae dongsaeng."

 - "Deh, don't forget it."

 - "Suzy-ah, you can't have a baby yet.  We'll be in the military, we can't spoil him as much," HyungJun said, as if baby revolved around friend’s schedules instead of the parents.

 - "Suzy-ah, I can spoil her for the namja," So YiHyun had no problem being an auntie without her boyfriend around.

Ilana thought if Suzy got pregnant in California, Nana would be so happy.  She also knew her cousin-in-law would make a good Unnie to her friend.  The PA system began to announce the first boarding call for their flight number.

 - "This is it guys," Suzy's eyes began to water; it felt like nothing would be the same when they returned.  Not that it was a bad thing, just different, frightening and exciting all at the same time.

 - "We'll see you when we get back."  JungMin was quickly mobbed into a group hug by all the guys.  HyungJun was crying and YoungSaeng tried hard not to.

 - "Yi Hyun Unnie, take care of the guys for me," Suzy said.

 - "Greoumyo," YiHyun hadn't known Suzy long but who couldn't become attached to the young woman.

 - "Ilana Unnie, gomawo for everything," the waterworks had begun between the two.

 - "Wae?  I didn't do anything," Ilana was also sniffling.

 - "For coming, for the gifts - we're really going to consider your proposal."

 - "Suzy-ah," KyuJong said, "you're not leaving forever."

 - "Arrayo, Oppa; it just feels like it.  Unnie, promise me you'll be happy.  Your heart will know when it's time to love, don't ignore it."

 - "Suzy-ah, don't start, juseyo.  It doesn't matter if my heart knows or not, I can't."

 - "Promise you'll at least try."

 - "Anieyo, it's not worth it."

 - "Unnie, it is, I promise.  Don't let whatever happened in the past, win."

 - "It's too late; it already won a long time ago."

 - "It doesn't have to be that way..."  The second boarding call interrupted Suzy's lecture.

YoungSaeng took hold of Ilana by the waist.  Suzy had hold of her hands as if what she was trying to convey would flow through her arms straight to her friend.  Suzy and Ilana were both in tears.

JungMin also stepped in and put his arms around his wife.  He understood what his Suzy was up to but didn't want to miss their flight.  Ilana would be more upset.  "Cheoje (wife's older sister), that's you, sister-in-law."  Ilana looked up at him.  "All nae anae wants is for Ilana to really think about it.  We're not asking you to change your mind right now.  Let your heart decide, not your fears, arraso?"  Ilana remained quiet.  "Ilana-yah, I'd like to go on my honeymoon, nae anae won't leave until you agree."

Ilana pleaded with her eyes at Suzy but Suzy just shook her head.  She wasn't budging. The final boarding call was announced.

 - "Unnie, I can be just as stubborn as you."

 - "I hate you guys," Ilana cried while embracing her friend.  "Arraso, now go."

 - "Saranghae Unnie."

 - "Nado, you too, Jebu," hugging JungMin.

 - "We'll be in touch, cheoje."  A final wave goodbye and they turned to the boarding line.

 - "Kaja," YoungSaeng said. "It's an hour to Yongin; Sunbae will make you feel better."

 - "See you Thursday, Princess!"

 - "Have fun tomorrow," Yi Hyun said.

 - "Give my regards to Dr. Jihoo and Harabeoji," KyuJong waved.

Ilana had been quiet, since getting in the cab.  Her heart was heavy with the weight of the promise she had made.  Not knowing how she was expected to keep it.  YoungSaeng took Ilana's hand.  "Gwenchana?  Did you really mean what you promised Suzy?"

 - "Mollah.  Mianhae Oppa, I’m a little tired, I want to close my eyes for a little bit."

 - "Guerae, if you move to the middle, you can lean on me.  I'll wake you when we get closer."

It suddenly felt a little awkward, as if YoungSaeng was expecting her to accept his proposal, now.  Ilana sighed.  First and foremost he was her special Oppa and she didn't want to hurt him anymore than she already had.  Smiling, she scooted over and leaned against him after re-adjusting her seat belt; he woke her up a few minutes before they arrived at the filming location.

Ilana allowed the excitement of watching Kim HyunJoong in action, chase the clouds away.  She had no real clue of what was being said but it wasn't any less exciting.  If she flinched when HyunJoong got hit on TV, it was worse watching it live.  The difference was she had to keep quiet and not gasp or scream like she usually did.

It was getting late, Ilana was tired and a little hungry but if she felt that way, how did Kim HyunJoong feel?  He had been so serious the past hour she and YoungSaeng had been watching.  A head nod was the only acknowledgment they received when the idol noticed them.  Ilana thought he looked tired.

The sun had begun its descent and was falling fast.  By the time it made its complete exit, thankfully the production team decided to call it a day.  HyunJoong made his way to makeup and wardrobe.  By the time he re-appeared, Shin JungTae was gone and only Kim HyunJoong remained.

 - "Annyeong hasseyo," HyunJoong greeted them properly.  "Kaja, I'm ready to get out of here."

 - "HyunJoong looks worn out, you don't need visitors.Makeup now off Ilana could see his tired face.

 - "Sunbae, are you sure you're up for company?”

 - "I’m not having company, it's just you two."

 - "Hagsilhaeyo (are you sure)?"  Ilana asked.

 - "Guerae."

 - "Arraso but kick us out as soon as you're tired,” Ilana smiled at him.

 - "Don't worry, I will," he grinned at them. "Maria, go ahead and take the front seat, I'll sit with nae dongsaeng."

It would take about thirty minutes to reach HyunJoong's apartment in Ganghnam.  Once on the road, a quiet settled in the car; everyone was tired from their day’s activities.  HyunJoong took out his cell phone.  He usually didn't like to text but had found himself utilizing that service more and more lately.  He began to type.

Not a minute later, YoungSaeng's phone buzzed, announcing a message.  "Sunbae?"  YoungSaeng questioned the message sender.  HyunJoong just pointed with his eyes to the front seat.  Ilana was enjoying the scenery, oblivious to the silent conversation in the back seat.

HyunJoong:  Did you tell her?

YoungSaeng shook her head.

HyunJoong:  Wae?  What are you waiting for?

YoungSaeng:  Eotteoke?

HyunJoong:  You can't let her leave without talking to her.

YoungSaeng:  If I just disappear, she won't notice.

HyunJoong pretended like he was going to slug his friend but ended up messing his hair.  A worse crime.  YoungSaeng gave him an irritated look and HyunJoong returned it tenfold.  Not only had he been filming around the clock, but also had to deal with his friend’s love life or lack thereof.

While the two men in the back seat were having a silent argument, Ilana's own phone buzzed a message.

JihooHope you're enjoying your day.  Get a good night's rest, we need to be on the road by 5:45, dress comfortably.

Jihoo couldn't wait for it to be the next day and had been painstakingly planning the day’s activities.  He liked his sleep but was willing to sacrifice to see her smile.  Several times that day, JanDi and Harabeoji had spied him smiling to himself.  Of course, they couldn't think of any other reason than he would be seeing Ilana.

 - "Chincha?"  Smiling, Ilana muttered to herself as she read and answered.

IlanaJihoo means A.M.?  Does Ajussi realize I've only been able to sleep in twice this vacation?

Jihoo read her response and chuckled.  He was sitting in Harabeoji's desk at the clinic, JanDi had just left and Harabeoji was seeing a patient.

Jihoo:  Arraso, sleep in and I'll take someone else with me.

Ilana pouted.

IlanaAnieyo!!  :’(

JihooDon't worry about breakfast; we'll eat when we get there.

IlanaJihoo is not going to tell me where we're going?

JihooIlana will find out when we get there.

IlanaI don't like surprises!

JihooIf Ilana doesn't like it you may leave.

IlanaCruel Ajussi.

JihooNado choahyo, see you tomorrow.   

Ilana laughed out loud at his teasing sarcasm.  The two in the back had still been carrying on their conversation consisting of texts, sign language, and low muttering.  Ilana had been oblivious of them and them of her.  YoungSaeng startled that she might have understood something they were talking about.  "Cinderella?   Gwenchana?"

 - "Mmm," Ilana said, distractedly. "I was just reading a funny text."

 - "What did Maknae want?HyunJoong asked, already assuming that's who the text was from.

 - "Anieyo, it was Jihoo Uissa."

 - "Mmm, where are you guys going tomorrow?"  HyunJoong ignored the wounded otter look on his friend's face.

 - "Mollah, he says it's a surprise.  I have to get a good night's sleep; we're getting a very early start."

 - "Oh," YoungSaeng said quietly.

They arrived at the Idols house soon after.

 - "Wau!  This is nicer in person than on TV."

 - "Gae," Ilana asked as sweetly as possible.  "May I look around your apartment?"

 - "Deh, YoungSaeng will show you, I'll get dinner started.  Mianhae, Ilana-yah, I would've prepared something better but I've been working day and night."

 - "Anieyo!  We can eat out if you like."

 - "Anieyo, anieyo, I'll be done in fifteen minutes.  Explore, if you want."  That she did.   HyunJoong's home mirrored his personality perfectly.   Very simple and honest, with its black, white and occasional beige decor and open floor plan.  Ilana walked into the studio only to be greeted by a skull.  She gasped and stopped dead in her tracks.  YoungSaeng laughed and walked ahead of her.  "He won't bite."  He picked up the skull and walked towards her.  Ilana screamed and ran out the room.

 - "HyunJoong-ssi!!  Your dongsaeng is trying to scare me."

 - "Anieyo!"  YoungSaeng was grinning with the skull in his hands.

 - "Yah!  Put the skull back.  It actually goes in the living room but some people moved it."

 - "Maknae and Mal," YoungSaeng was still grinning as he returned the ornament to its rightful place.

Ilana helped HyunJoong set the table.  It didn't take long and they all sat at the table eating cucumber cold noodles, grilled salted corbina and kimchi.  Ilana thought the guys must be really hungry as they were very quiet.  "HyunJoong-ssi, Gomawoyo, this is really good.  You didn't have to cook, you're so tired and I won't even get to see the last three episodes until I get home."

HyunJoong chuckled.  "How has Ilana-ssi liked Seoul?"

 - "Neomu.  It's been too short of a vacation.  I knew I wouldn't get any sleep on this trip. So what is HyunJoong-ssi doing after the drama?"

 - "I start my world tour."

 - "New York?"  Ilana asked, excitedly.

 - "Anieyo, the closest I'll get to the states, is Mexico."

 - "Chincha?  Maybe I can get Kike Oppa to take me.  Let me know when tickets are on sale or the dates."

 - "Arraso, I'll get the agency to contact you or contact Henecia Mexico."

 - "Arraseo, I will."

They continued making small talk until they were done eating.

 - "HyunJoong-ah, let me clean your kitchen."

 - "Anieyo, you two go to the living room, I'll clean up.  Nae dongsaeng needs to tell Ilana something."

 - "Hyeong," YoungSaeng pleaded.

 - "Tell her or I will."  He'd had enough drama with the drama; he didn't need it in real life too.  "I'm going to sleep after I clean up.  I have another early schedule tomorrow.  Maria, enjoy the rest of your vacation, maybe I’ll see you in Mexico."  He gave Ilana a quick hug before walking back to the kitchen.

 - "Jalja!”  Ilana called out to HyunJoong before he rounded the corner into his kitchen.  “Oppa?  What’s wrong, what do you want to tell me?” She asked YoungSaeng.

 - "Amogotdoyo."

 - "Oppa, should I get your Hyeong."

 - "Anieyo, sit with me for a little while," he took her hand in his and stared at the necklace he gave her.

Ilana was getting nervous.  Why did HyunJoong leave the room?

 - "Ilana-yah, Jihoo Uissa takes good care of you?"

 - "Deh, he's been very kind and nae companion these last months.  If I can't have Oppa by my side, at least I have him.  I'm not as frazzled when I call you guys anymore, he keeps me calm."

 - "I never minded when you called upset over something."

 - "Ara but it's not fair to burden you with my issues."

 - "Is it fair to burden him?"

 - "Anieyo, Oppa, that's not what I said.  You’re twisting my words."  Ilana was getting irritated.  "He's just there; he knows my moods; just like you do.  I can't hide what I'm feeling from him."

 - "Ilana-yah," he always used her name when he was being serious"Stay in Seoul."

 - "Oppa can't be serious."

 - "Choah Jihoo Uissa?"

 - "Deh Oppa!  He's nae chingu, as are you.  Nan Oppa ahnchoah (don’t like) right now."

 - "Choah Ilana-yah, mianhae."

 - "Oppa!"  YoungSaeng had gone down on his knees.  "Oppa, get up, jaebal."

 - "Saranghaeo, Cinderella-yah," he took her hands again.  "Jebal nado sarang hejwo (Please love me too)."

 - "Nado saranghae!  Chingorosu but I can't give you what you want.  I told you already, I need nae Oppa, not a namja chingu."  Tears were flowing freely down both their faces and still YoungSaeng was on his knees"Oppa, I can never...fulfill a wife's duties.  What's the point of getting into a relationship?"

 - "You promised to try," he whispered.

 - "At this point, I don't see how and you pressuring me isn't helping."

 - "Ilana-yah, I'm enlisting as soon as you leave."

 - "Mworago?  I thought you were going with KyuJong Oppa?"  YoungSaeng had finally stood and Ilana looked up at him with pain in her eyes.

He shook his head.  "There's nothing keeping me from going now," he ran his fingers on her necklace, pausing at the stone for a second.   "Ilana-yah, remember what I said in New York?  My heart for you is so big, you can't carry it but it's always with you.  That's always going to be true no matter what.”

 - "Oppa..."  Ilana was tired and hurting.  Hurting because he was hurting.

 - "Shh...listen carefully.  Nun cham tek byeol hae (you are so special) and I failed to convince you that you are.  Ilana is my precious tree that grows more beautiful with each tear she sheds.”  He wiped her face with his thumb.  “But someday I hope someone convinces you and takes away your fears and makes you happy. That would make Oppa happy too, jeongmal.  If not, I'll see you at the top of the Empire State building for my birthday when I'm done with military duties.  Then I'll prove to you nae sarang is enough.”


Arraso, extra-long chapter.  Is the title okay guys?  Next is Jihoo's turn to show Ilana around.  Wonder what he's got planned, hmm?  Thank you for the love, guys.

- Kansamnida