As the Holiday's Approach: The New Year

Love Covers a Multitude of Sins

December 26, 2013

Jihoo was on the floor by six A.M. He had two hours to get his rounds done. Ilana was the last stop on his list; her case was the most involved at the moment.

- "Annyeong hasseyo, Uissa," Hani greeted. "She's making good progress; her vitals are showing improvement, also her breathing. The only thing is, she kept crying; like she was having a nightmare. Were you able to contact her family yet?"

- "Kansamnida, Hani-ssi, I see her fever has gone down slightly. Perhaps this will alleviate the nightmares. As for her family, one of her friends arrives today."

- "Daeback! Jaejoong Uissa wanted another transfusion. Do you mind if I go get that ready?"

- "Deh, go ahead. I'm going to listen to her lungs." He had been reviewing the night's activity prior to examining his patient.

Ilana heard voices, but she was so tired. She couldn't open her eyes, they felt heavy; she felt heavy. She tried moving just her arm but didn't really feel as if it moved.

Jihoo was concentrating on what he heard through the stethoscope when he caught movement out of the corner of his eye. Her fingers had moved. He took her hand gently in his.

- "Ilana-ssi, it's time to wake up, juseyo?"

- "Oppa?" Something warm had wrapped itself softly around her hand.

Jihoo couldn’t make out what she was saying; her voice was gruff and hardly audible mostly likely due to the ventilator.  "Ilana-ssi, can you hear me? I need you to open your eyes, now." Jihoo took the light and flashed it in her eyes. There was a definite reaction.

Ilana was mourning the loss of the warmth. She tried to feel for it but she was so stiff, it was a struggle to move. "Oppa, I'm too tired."

Jihoo thought she was saying, 'Oppa'.  "Oppa's here," he took her hand again. "Wake up now, arraso?"

Ilana felt the warmth again and tried so hard to open her eyes but couldn't. "Too tired Oppa, mianhae."

Jihoo only heard 'Oppa’ and ‘mia-‘; judging by the way her lips moved, he thought she meant ‘mianhae'.  "Anieyo, don't say mianhae. Ilana-ssi, wake up," he spoke firmly and waited for a moment but she didn’t respond again. There were fresh tears rolling down her face.

Hani had come back in and witnessed everything. Now Dr. Jihoo was gently wiping Ilana's face with his handkerchief. "Aish, so close," he said. Hani knew Dr. Jihoo was a different person with his patients, but she had never seen a display quite like this. It was as if he was trying to crawl into the place where she slept and bring her back by sheer force of will.

- "Jeogiyo (excuse me), Uissa, I have the transfusion ready.”

Jihoo sighed and ran a hand through his hair"Arraso, have the relieving nurse call me if there's any change. I'll be back after five and Dr. Jaejoong will be here in the early afternoon."

http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/lines-htm/lines/ddrule17.gif

St. Thomas, U.S.V.I.

The MS Amsterdam group of friends met early for breakfast. They would all be escorting Suzy to the airport in an about two hours. Complaints were still being heard from the youngest and oldest member of the group.

- "Suzy-ah, I want to go too."

- "HyungJun Oppa, your yeoja chingu wouldn't appreciate you rushing to another woman's side," Suzy teased.

- "I still think you guys had no right to decide who was going." YoungSaeng thought he should be the one to go.

- "Hyeong," KyuJong said patiently. "Suzy is the logical choice. She is not only female but a nurse as well. Suzy can stay with her at the hospital and when she gets released. It wouldn't be appropriate for you to go." YoungSaeng continued sitting with a mutinous glare on his face. "We're talking about what's best for Ilana-ssi.  Hyeong wants what's best for her, majayo?"

- "Deh," YoungSaeng also wanted what was best for his Cinderella. The problem was he wanted to be what was best for her.

- "If anyone should be upset, it's me." JungMin leaned over and planted a kiss on Suzy's lips, earning him protests from the guys and blushes from Suzy. "I'm losing my jagiya for a few weeks. Tell Ilana-ssi she owes me one."

Suzy smiled at her fiancé and then turned to look at the other guys.  "I've got all your get well wishes in my suitcase, I'll make sure to show her your video, HyungJun Oppa. I'll call you once I'm in her room. I'm sure she'll be better in no time."

http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/lines-htm/lines/ddrule17.gif

- "Can I get you anything, Miss Bae?" The steward on the plane asked.

- "Oh!  No thank you," Suzy's mind had been wandering. Never in a million years would she have thought to be traveling by private plane to New York. She never thought to question Dr. Jihoo when he told her there weren't any early flights from Cyril E. King Airport, but he had secured her one from another airport a few miles away. Her mind and the guy’s minds were blown away when a steward was waiting for her at the gate and escorted her to the J.K. Group airplane. How in the world had he done that? She was curious as to Dr. Jihoo’s ties to this J.K. Group.

- "Your lunch will be ready in about thirty minutes."

- "Thank you," she'll have an interesting story to tell Ilana when she gets to New York, she thought.

When Suzy arrived at the Teterboro Airport in New Jersey, she was again surprised to have someone waiting for her at the gate. A pretty brunette girl stopped her as soon she passed through.

- "Hi! I'm JaeKyung, or should I say Annyeong hasseyo, Jeo neum JaeKyung inmida. You must be Suzy. I'm a friend of Dr. Jihoo." Jihoo planned on sending a driver to pick up Ilana's friend but JaeKyung volunteered. Knowing there was most likely a scheme involved, even if JaeKyung and WooBin denied it.

- "Deh, Suzy imnida; English is fine with me."

- "Great, let's go. Do you want to drop your things off somewhere or head straight to the hospital?" JaeKyung asked as they walked to the red car.

- "Well, Dr. Jihoo text me this morning and said she was improving and the hospital isn't far from Ilana's apartment. Do you mind if I drop my things off at her place first?"

On the way back to New York, Suzy could no longer contain her curiosity.

- "JaeKyung-ssi, can you tell me who JK Group is and why they would allow me to use their airplane?"

- "Call me Unnie; J.K. Group is my family's company." JaeKyung had nothing to hide. "I've known Jihoo since our last year of high school and Ilana prepared an elaborate Marketing Research Report for my fiancé. It was the least I could do."

- "Kansamnida," Suzy was overwhelmed with gratitude and began to get weepy.

- "Yah, don't cry. Ilana will be fine; Jihoo will make sure of it. He needs his admin back." JaeKyung patted the younger girl’s hand.

http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/lines-htm/lines/ddrule17.gif

The two arrived back in Manhattan and stopped by Ilana's apartment only long enough for Suzy to put her luggage in the door. They were back in the car heading for the hospital. JaeKyung had a way of getting the information she wanted and never felt guilty if it was for the greater good. They walked into the hospital and headed for the elevator after checking in at the visitor's desk.

- "Suzy-ah, Ilana did a great job on the Marketing report, why did she quit ILC Group. It's one of the best companies in the country?"

- "Oh," not knowing exactly how much her friend had told them, she kept to a safe answer. "I think her family expected her to do that line of work and get into that particular company. But after a while, Ilana wanted to see if she could be successful at something else."

- "That's too bad, maybe I can steal her from Jihoo and have her work for me," JaeKyung laughed. They had arrived on the sixth floor.

- "Room 14, Ilana Contreras, please," JaeKyung said through the intercom of the critical care department.

Abigaíl had taken her break with Ilana. Uee and ShiYoon and some of the others came in and out of her room a few times a day. Flowers were not allowed in the critical care rooms but cards had started to pile up on her door. Abigaíl was just leaving Ilana's room; she removed the gown that covered her clothes and pulled the safety mask down when Suzy recognized her.

- "Abigaíl-ssi," Suzy walked up to her. "How's Isabel?"

- "Spoiled." Abigaíl sanitized her hands and gave Suzy a hug.

- "Good, HyungJun and Saengie Oppa will be glad to hear that."

- "That's so sweet of you to come. What about the others?"

- "It was too last minute for all of us to try and get time off."

- "Hi! I'm JaeKyung; I met Ilana recently and came just to say hi." JaeKyung introduced herself seeing as the other two already knew each other.

- "Nice to meet you, JaeKyung, I work with Ilana. Well, I'll let you two go since I have to get back to work."

http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/lines-htm/lines/ddrule17.gif

The attending nurse gave them masks and gowns to protect Ilana and them from harmful germs.

- "Yah, Ilana, you need to get better so you can come to my wedding. Listen to Jihoo-ah; he'll take care of you. WooBin says thanks for doing the report even when you were sick. You didn't say no, gomawo. I'm going to go now; I'll come by again before we leave for Seoul. Your friend is here to take care of you, arraso?" JaeKyung turned to Suzy. "Well, maybe I'll see you again."

- "Hokshina; it’s funny, I was going to tell her almost the same thing. My wedding is at the end of March."

- "Chukahae, ours is in February. See ya, I'll be leaving first." JaeKyung walked out the door. She was absolutely positive the 'ILC' in ILC Group had everything to do with Ilana Contreras. This was the start of a wonderful scheme.

- "Yah, Unnie, is she always this friendly? Anyways, I promised to call the guys as soon as I got in your room." Suzy took a disinfecting wipe from her purse and took her time scrubbing down her phone. She had already given it a thorough cleaning the night before; she didn't want anything to endanger her Unnie's precarious health. "Annyeong Oppa." KyuJong was first on the list.

- "You made it! How's our dongsaeng?"

- "The doctor hasn't been in yet but from what I can see her blood pressure is almost normal, her pulse is still week and she still has a slight fever. I'll text you as soon as I hear from the Doctor. Here, talk to her." Suzy had put the phone on speaker and laid it next to Ilana's head.

- "Yah, Ilana-ssi promised to take care of herself. Wae did you lie to me?"

Ilana could hear KyuJong's voice. Where was she? Why was she so tired?  "Mianhae, Oppa, it was an accident."

- "Oppa, she mumbled something.  Unnie, squeeze my hand if you can hear me." Suzy felt a weak pressure on her hand. "It's working! Let me call the others." She dialed YoungSaeng; before he could say hello, Suzy gave him instructions to speak.

- "Cinderella, I'm really worried about you, please tell me you'll be alright? I'll do anything to hear your voice."

- "Oppa, she just moved again!  I think she said 'gwenchana'.  Oppa, tears are rolling down her face. Sing for her or something."

- "Arraso: Can you believe that in my dreams, you are a princess that is cast under a magic spell? (Music)," YoungSaeng began to sing.

Ilana could hear YoungSaeng's voice; she loved to hear him sing but she couldn't see him. "Oppa, where are you?" She tried hard to shake off the fatigue that weighed her down.

Suzy could see her friend responding and held her hand.  "Unnie, you can hear us, right?" Ilana began to win the struggle and opened her eyes slowly, closing them more often than not.

YoungSaeng had finished.  "Oppa?" Ilana opened her eyes expecting to see YoungSaeng but it was Suzy holding her hand and grinning. "Suzy-ah?”  Ilana choked out a whisper. “Are we on the ship?" She was confused, disoriented and was dry and sore from the ventilator and from lack of use.  She began to cough.

- "Paboya!" Suzy pushed the button for the nurse and quickly filled a cup of water for her. "Drink!  Don't ever scare us like that again!"

- "Suzy-ah, what's going on?"  Ilana’s voice was a little more audible after having water.

- "Gwenchana, Oppa, she's awake." Suzy held the phone up to Ilana's ear.

- "Yah, don't ever get sick like that again."

- "Mianhae, Oppa. What...what happened? Where are we?" Ilana had to drink more water as the effort to speak above a whisper left her coughing again.

Just then the nurse walked in.  "Ilana! You're awake! That's wonderful! I'll call the doctors." The nurse ran out of the room and shared the news with the entire floor before contacting Dr. Jaejoong & Jihoo. The hospital was the best for a reason but Ilana was one of their own. If they couldn't take care of their own, then how could they take care of others? "I don't want everyone rushing in there." The nurse said. "Let's wait until the Doctors evaluate her."

http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/lines-htm/lines/ddrule17.gif

Jaejoong and Jihoo both received pages from the hospital. Jaejoong had just walked in his front door and left immediately back to the hospital. Jihoo was with a patient and booked for the next two hours. He text Jaejoong.

Jihoo: Get another ABG (Arterial Blood Gas Test).

Jaejoong: One step ahead of you...On my way back…See you when you're done.

Jihoo felt an enormous weight had been lifted off his shoulders. Anytime a patient crossed over the danger zone into safety, he was grateful. He was also grateful for Jaejoong. He drove Jihoo crazy sometimes but he was a great Doctor. His admin would be getting an earful from him when she was well again. Ilana would not be getting off the hook that easy. He was glad her friend came. Family and friends make a difference between life and death.

Ilana had been able to speak briefly with HyungJun and JungMin. Not having the energy to laugh, their silliness at least made her smile. The nurse had come in and explained to her, briefly, how she was found unconscious and remained in that state up until today.

http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/lines-htm/lines/ddrule17.gif

- "Gueron, look who decided to wake up?" Dr. Jaejoong walked into the room. Ilana remained quiet and wished she was invisible. "I see the effects of the ventilator haven't worn off. Ja Neum Jaejoong Uissa inmida," he bowed to Suzy. "I will take full advantage that chingu is temporarily speechless and scold her for being irresponsible and lying to me as well."

Suzy grinned and introduced herself.  "Ja neum Suzy inmida mannaseo bangawoyo (nice to meet you). We've heard so much about you."

- "Knowing Ilana, it was all good things."

- "Gueromyo!"  Suzy’s grin stretched wider.

- "Yah Ilana-ya, I don't suppose this is the friend that needed an immunologist?" Ilana tried to give him the fiercest glare she could muster up for picking on her. "Had you told me the truth, I would have taken you and been discreet. Hajiman Ilana-yah had to be stubborn and get herself sick. Agassi, do you have anything to say for yourself?"

- "When can I go home?" Ilana asked in defeat.

- "Chincha? She's unconscious for days and she wants to go home the second she wakes up?"

Suzy smiled at her friend.  "Mianhae Unnie, you're not getting out that easy. Your pneumonia is severe, I'm sure you'll be on oxygen for a few more days. I'm a nurse," she explained to Dr. Jaejoong.

- "Mmm, is she always this much trouble?"

- "Deh," Suzy laughed.

- "Yah," Ilana mouthed as she still couldn’t speak louder than a whisper.  Anything more made her cough.

- "Agassi, na will be seeing you often. Your red blood cells are stable at the moment but I might give you another transfusion before you leave. How long have you had the anemia?"

- "I've known about it for a year but I don't know how long I've really had it."

- "Mmm,” Jaejoong made a mental note. “Do you know, if it weren't for your fever, the hypothermia could have killed you?"

- "I-I don't...remember much of what happened." Everything was a blur to Ilana.

- "Just thank Jihoo for finding you in time."

- "D-Dr. Jihoo?!" Ilana could feel her heartbeat speed up and close; she reached for the water.

- "Nae Jagiya was worried sick when you disappeared. We all split up to look for you and he found you, wet and unconscious, on the roof." Jaejoong smiled at her panicked look and the numbers on the monitor. "Don't worry; I'm sure he won't scold you in front of Suzy-ssi."

Ilana wasn't so sure about that.

- "Anieyo," Suzy said. "He has my permission. Kansamnida, Uissa, for taking such good care of her."

- "Anieyo gwenchanayo; Ilana-ya, I'll see you when Jihoo comes and we can review your test results," Dr. Jaejoong left the room cheerfully.

- "Suzy-ah, I'm in trouble."

- "Mianhae, Unnie, you deserve all the scolding you’re going to get."

- "Gomawo," Ilana said sarcastically.

http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/lines-htm/lines/ddrule17.gif

When Dr. Jihoo arrived, he treated Ilana very different than he usually did. It made her a little apprehensive. She was prepared for him to yell at her but he was largely indifferent to her. He examined her quickly and quietly, directing his comments mainly to Suzy. To which he was kindness itself.

- "Kansamnida, Uissa," Suzy bowed. "Kansamnida, for saving her, for calling...for everything."

- "Anieyo gwenchanayo," he smiled. "I had a responsibility to do. I'll see you tomorrow. Please call me if you need anything during your stay. Once we see significant improvement Ilana-ssi can be moved out of critical care; most likely this weekend. Annyeong hee gyeseyo (goodbye when you’re leaving), take good care of your Unnie." Jihoo bowed to both.

- "Annyeong hee gaseyo (goodbye when you’re staying)," Suzy said as Dr. Jihoo left. "Unnie, he's so kind. I can see why he's held in high esteem."

- "Mmm...I'm cold." The cold came from more than just her illness, but it seemed Dr. Jihoo left it in his wake. Again, she felt bereft of a friend. She couldn't put her finger on it but she was certain he was different somehow.

- "Your fever's gone down, that's probably why. I'll get you a warm blanket." As soon as Suzy left the room, Ilana closed her eyes. Her best friend was by her side and yet she felt lonely. She had no explanation for these feelings, so she decided to sleep lest she cry.

http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/lines-htm/lines/ddrule17.gif

Jihoo left Ilana's room and sighed. It was all he could do to not yell at her for nearly killing herself, for not seeking help until it was too late, and for causing everyone to worry. For causing him to worry, to be exact; clearing his head, he checked on the rest of his patients before heading home.

After dinner, Jihoo reached for a glass of wine deciding he needed to unwind. He hadn't felt this stressed over a patient in a long time. Ilana was progressing slowly still; therefore, the risk of her getting worse was still possible. Her lungs weren't sufficiently cleared to remove the oxygen yet. Jihoo did not realize his Grandfather was studying his elusive Grandson.

- "How is Ilana today?" Harabeoji asked.

- "She's still progressing, albeit slowly. Having her friend here helped immensely."

- "Yet she is still in danger."

- "Deh, Harabeoji, it'll be a few more days before we see any significant progress. And even then, there is always the risk of relapse."

- "In your few years as a Doctor, you have not had many cases where the patient relapsed," Harabeoji reassured.

- "Anieyo, Na haven't had a patient with as many complications before."

- "Mmm, let me know when I can visit her."

- "Sunday, it should be safe enough as long as you wear a mask."


December 27, 2013

Jihoo tossed and turned and eventually lay wide awake; as much as he tried, sleep would not come back. He decided to get up and get ready to go to the hospital well in advance of morning rounds. He could always take a nap later in the day. Arriving at the hospital by five A.M., he went straight to Critical Care. He was reviewing the night's activities on the computer when Hani spotted him.

- "Annyeong hasseyo Uissa," she greeted him. "You're early today."

- "Annyeong hasseyo, Hani-ssi, I couldn't sleep.” Hani knew Dr. Jihoo was not above sneaking cat naps in inconspicuous corners of the hospital. "All was well last night?"

- "Deh, although I don't think Ilana slept well. It seemed as though she was having nightmares or talking in her sleep more so than the previous nights. Her pulse was a little fast but that's expected; otherwise, everything was normal."

Jihoo knew all about Ilana's sleep murmuring.  "I'll check on her first, as soon as I've read through everyone's notes."

- "Arraseo."

http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/lines-htm/lines/ddrule17.gif

Ilana was dreaming about her Mother. She was playing a Mozart Sonata (Music) and her Father was chasing her around the piano as her Mama played and laughed at them. Suddenly the music stopped; Ilana looked to the piano for answers. Her Mother was no longer there. She looked again and she was alone. Neither of her parents were there. "Mamá, porque paraste (Why did you stop)?" No one answered. Suzy jumped up from the couch she slept on, more asleep than awake."Mami, Papi, donde se fueron (where did you go)? Mamá! Contéstame (Answer me)! Mamá!" "Mamá!" Ilana bolted upright in the bed. She felt like someone was trying to restrain her (even though no one was) and she fought against it. "Let me go! Mamá!"

- "Unnie, gwenchana..." Ilana had the faraway look in her eyes and was trembling. Not unlike the night she, along with KyuJong, and YoungSaeng slept in her room. Jihoo and Hani rushed into the room having heard a scream. "Uissa, she's having a panic attack."

- "Deh, I've seen her like this before." He firmly caught hold of one of Ilana's hands, while Suzy had the other. "Yah, look at me, arraso? Gwenchanayo," he gently turned her face so she was looking directly at him and wiped her tears from her face. "Breathe," he spoke soothingly. "Gwenchanayo," her shaking soon subsided.

- "I want to go home," Ilana mumbled when she finally realized where she was.

- "Anieyo," Jihoo smiled at her. "Hani, her temperature has gone up again. Bring a pitcher of water, juseyo." Hani ran off to do as she was asked. Jihoo still held her hand firmly. Ilana didn't realize she was holding Jihoo's hand just as firmly. Hani had returned, she poured water into a cup and handed it to Jihoo. He held the cup up to Ilana's lips: "Drink," he said and she did. "Suzy-ssi go back to sleep. I'll stay in the room until she falls back to sleep."

- "Hwagsiliya (are you sure)?"

- "Deh," he responded. Suzy lay back down but didn't fall asleep immediately. She listened to Dr. Jihoo talking to her friend for a little while, completely amazed at his interaction with her. "Do you want to tell me about your nightmare?" Ilana shook her head 'no'. "Was someone hurting you?" Again, Ilana shook her head. "Frightening green men on spaceships?" Ilana shook her head but this time she smiled and relaxed the grip on his hand. "Since you're awake let me do my job, arraso?" He examined her quickly and Ilana's hand felt cold after he had let go of it. Vaguely remembering having had the same feeling before but couldn't remember why. Ilana finished her water in the appropriate time and quickly fell back asleep. "So much for wanting to yell at you," he smiled at his sleeping admin. "You'll be fine, whether you want to or not." If he could watch over JanDi all those years, he can certainly handle this stubborn girl.


December 29, 2013

Ilana was getting stronger every day, but her patience wasn't. It was no secret to her two doctors or Suzy that she wanted to go home. She was starting to get sick of hearing 'anieyo' all the time. She was dying to get back to work. At least her co-workers came and entertained her often. And every so often an unexpected guest arrived.

- "Annyeong hasseyo, this old man came to keep you company and I see you already have a visitor." Harabeoji walked into Ilana's room.

- "Harabeoji!" Ilana said, excited about the visit. Suzy gave Ilana a 'who is this?' look. "Suzy, this is Dr. Jihoo's Harabeoji. Harabeoji, nae dongsaeng-ah, Suzy inmida."

- "Annyeong hasseyo," the two greeted each other.

- "Mannaseo bangawoyo; Na brought Ilana-ya pumpkin porridge. Don't tell my Grandson. Na thought Ilana might be tired of the food here."

- "Deh!"

- "Unnie, since Harabeoji is here, Na think I'll go stretch my legs for a little bit." Suzy had been living at the hospital and only sneaking back to Ilana's apartment when her friend was sleeping and was not in danger of being awakened by the nurses.

- "This is wonderful, Harabeoji," Ilana dug into the porridge after Suzy exited the room. "Kansamnida."

- "Anieyo, child. Is Ilana-ya listening to her Doctor?"

- "Deh, Harabeoji only asks because nae Uissa is his Grandson." Harabeoji laughed. "Gueron, does Harabeoji know when Na can go home?"

- "Na imagine soon, child. Better to delay your discharge a few days then to be discharged and end up back again because of a relapse."

- "Deh, Harabeoji." Ilana had relapsed before and it wasn't a pleasant experience. She usually ended up worse than she began.

- "Does Ilana-ya like card games, Na brought one for you to pass the time."

- "I'm terrible at all the Korean card games and I don't know if I have money to play."

- "Agassi hasn't had a good sangsaneim; Na will teach you this time and we will play officially on my next visit."

- "Arraseo," she grinned at her companion.

http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/lines-htm/lines/ddrule17.gif

Jihoo had been busy with his administrative duties the time had flown by without his knowing. He still hadn't checked in on his patients. He felt a twinge of guilt at his Grandfather being left alone. Then again, the old man had more friends and acquaintances than he did. He smiled. He had to admit, it was nice coming home to find Harabeoji tinkering in the kitchen. Jihoo powered down his computer and left to do his rounds.

Jihoo arrived on the sixth floor sometime later, leaving Ilana for last.  He tended to stay longer in Ilana's room, so he looked in on all the other patients first. He had to admit he enjoyed watching Ilana and Suzy conversing and teasing each other, except, when they received phone calls from their other friends. Then, Jihoo would excuse himself and leave. He didn't want to be a third wheel when they were talking to their boyfriends. Ilana was so much more relaxed and at ease amongst Suzy and her other friends. He liked this lively side of her and hoped to see it often in the future.

Stepping into Ilana's room, Jihoo spied not the usual scene of the last few days. Suzy was not in the room but his Grandfather was. The pair was so intent on their card game; they did not notice Jihoo come in.

- "Yah!" Ilana started at the sound of Jihoo's voice but Harabeoji continued on as before. "I was rushing to do my rounds because I thought Harabeoji was home alone. Instead, I find Harabeoji tiring out my patient."

- "Ilana-ya, this young Uissa thinks he has all the answers, doesn't he?"

Ilana smiled, loving the playful banter between the two.

- "Ilana-ssi, where is your nurse? She's supposed to keep you from overdoing it."

- "I think she went back to my place for a little while. Dr. Jihoo, when can I go home?"

- "When I'm certain I won't find you unconscious as soon as my back is turned." His admin's brooding face, made him smile. "A few more days; I'll start weaning you off the oxygen tomorrow, arraso?"

- "It's not like I have a choice," Ilana pouted.

- "Mojayo (That's right)! I'll let Harabeoji stay until you two finish your game. Then you need to rest." Jihoo left the room with a grin on his face. He briefly wondered why it was so much fun to tease his admin.


January 1, 2014

- "Unnie, wake up," Suzy shook Ilana, gently.

- "What's wrong?" Ilana asked sleepily.

- "It's the New Year."

- "So?" Ilana had been off the oxygen for just over a day, and although she had no problems breathing on her own now, she got tired very easily and wanted her sleep.

- "Get up and bow to your Umma and Appa?" This woke Ilana up.

- "Mworago?"

- "Bow in honor of your deceased, come on, follow me." Suzy was already tugging Ilana off the bed. "Now, repeat after me, saehae bok mani badeuseyo (Please receive a lot of luck in the New Year)". Ilana dutifully followed her friend, although it was a little difficult to manage with the IV attached to her. "Now, since you're older, I do it to you. Saehae bok mani badeuseyo," Suzy said bowing to Ilana. Ilana smiled at her friend, getting teary. How much more luck did she need, she already had a great best friend who was one of the sweetest and thoughtful people she knew. Not to mention, her Oppa's and Jung Min.

- "Gomawo," Ilana said.

- "Anieyo, now we eat tteokguk. We don't have a moon house, so write your wish on these cards and I'll hang them in your patio later."

- "I don't have any wishes."

- "Everyone has something they wish for." Ilana still looked at her friend without a clue. "Arraso, I'll make a wish for you. I want Ilana to open her heart to love." Suzy wrote on the card in front of her.

- "Suzy-ah," Ilana said, exasperated.

- "Waeyo, wouldn't Unnie like to be able to love someone?"

Ilana delayed her response.  "Will a wish, take away the memories?" She asked quietly.

- "If you want it to, it can. It's up Unnie to make the wish."

http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/lines-htm/lines/holiday-bar-490x12.gif

Abigaíl apprehensively got ready for her and her parents’ brunch date with Dr. Jaejoong and his parents.

I’ll see you tomorrow,” Jaejoong had told Abigaíl.

She didn’t know why she felt so nervous; it was as if she was taking a test or something of that nature. Abigaíl and her Mother made buñuelos and cooked tamales for his parents to enjoy on another day. They packed the food and were soon on their way.

- "Dr. Prince!" Isabel accosted Jaejoong when he opened the door.

- "Jagiya," he picked her up. "Feliz año nuevo, gracias for coming." Jaejoong greeted. "Come with me, Umma is finishing in the kitchen.

- "Happy New Year, Doctor. We've brought some treats for your family," Abigaíl said.

Jaejoong's parents greeted the Garcia family warmly. Once the New Year greetings were done they sat down to eat. Mrs. Oh made a simple but elegant meal of croissant French toast, quiche, and salad. "New friends and new families are made over wonderful food. May today be the start of both," Mr. Kim toasted.

- "Gumbae...Salud," everyone responded.

After the meal, Abigaíl and her Mom insisted on helping Mrs. Kim with dessert while Jaejoong took Isabel into the TV room to select a movie.

- "Isabel es un encanto y Abigaíl también (Isabel is a dear and Abigaíl as well)." Mrs. Oh and Mrs. Garcia were left alone in the kitchen while Abigaíl took the dessert plates to the table.

- "Gracias, Señora Kim, igualmente a criado un caballero (likewise you've raised a gentleman)."

- "Jaejoong adora Isabel, podría preguntar qué pasó con su Padre (Jaejoong adores Isabel, may I ask what happened to her Father)? Está en su vida (Is he in her life)?"

- "No sabemos lo que sucedió, mi hija nunca nos dio explicación y nunca más lo volvimos a ver (We don’t know what happened, my daughter never gave us an explanation and we never saw him again)."

- "Qué triste, te diré que Abigaíl es mi hija ideal. Cariñosa, servicial, trabajadora, respetuosa. (How sad, I’ll tell you, Abigaíl is our ideal daughter. Loving, helpful, hardworking, respectful)"

- "Gracias es muy buena mi hija (Thank you, she’s a very good daughter)." Abigaíl was coming into the kitchen.

- "The plates are served."

http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/lines-htm/lines/holiday-bar-490x12.gif

While the women were in the kitchen, the two fathers were having their own conversation.

- "Jaejoong nos dice que Abigaíl es una señorita muy trabajadora y su gerente la estima mucho. (Jaejoong tells us Abigaíl is very hardworking young lady, and her boss holds her in high esteem)."

- "La Señora Kim es muy generosa y cree buenos empleados como mi hija (Mrs. Kim is very generous and creates good employees, like my daughter)."

- "Verdad, un buen patrón se necesita para tener Buenos empleados.”  Mr. Garcia nodded his approval of this statement. De veras nos gustaría pensar en Abigaíl como una hija (We’d like to think of Abigail like a daughter). Quizás en un futuro ella considerara trabajar en nuestra empresa (Perhaps in the future she would consider working at our company)."

- "Mi hija es muy fiel (my daughter is very loyal)."

- "Si, también nos ha dicho lo mismo Jaejoong (Yes, Jaejoong has told us that). Además, me gustaría que fuéramos socios (Also, I’d like for us to be partners). Me gustaría invertir en su restaurante y quizás abrir un segundo restaurant (I’d like to invest in your restaurant and perhaps help you open a second one)."

- "Lo tendré que pensar (I’d have to think about it)." Mr. Garcia didn't know what to think, he had enough sense to know there should be a catch somewhere. "Sin ofender, me gustaría saber porque este interés tan de repente (Without offending you, I’d like to know why this sudden interest)?"

- "Su familia nos ha impresionado y compartimos los mismos ideales, el trabajo duro y la familia (Your family has impressed us and we share the same ideals of hard work and family). Mi esposa y yo nos hemos encariñado con su hija y Isabel (My wife and I have quickly become attached to your daughter and Isabel). Nada nos gustaría más que Abigaíl se convirtiera en nuestra nuera (Nothing would make us happier than to have Abigaíl as our daughter in law).

http://www.hellasmultimedia.com/webimages/lines-htm/lines/holiday-bar-490x12.gif

Ilana was trying to read but was dosing off, Suzy was watching a drama when two noisy visitors arrived.

- “Hi, guys! How are you feeling, Ilana?” JaeKyung and WooBin walked into the room.

- “I’d be better if I wasn’t here, Ilana smiled. “WooBin-ssi, this is my friend Suzy.”

- “Yo, nice meeting you.”

- “Nice to meet you too.”

- “Ilana-ssi, I just wanted to thank you personally for helping me. Thanks to you, I’ve decided to buy a floor of the Shinwa New York for my club. I’m in negotiations with their CEO. I’ll be contacting your friend Uee soon.”

- I didn’t do anything, it was fun.”

- “I thought maybe I could offer you a job as mine and JaeKyung’s personal marketing rep.? I’ll make it worth your while? How much were you making at your old company?”

- “Oh, no thank you, WooBin-ssi, I enjoy working here at the hospital.”

- “Whoa, Jihoo better appreciate you. I couldn’t buy you from him; call me if he gives you a hard time. I’ll have some of my men give him a talking too.” Ilana smiled at his teasing, oblivious to the fact that he really could do what he said.

- “Well, we’re leaving back for Seoul later. We’ll see you at our wedding in February,” JaeKyung said.

- “Wedding?”

- “Oh, Jihoo probably hasn’t been able to give you the invite, since you were sick. It’s February 15 and you can’t say no. See you then!”

- “Annyeong ladies!”

- “He looks familiar for some reason. Suzy said when they left. Watch he be some KPop Idol in disguise.”

- “I think you’ve been watching too many dramas.”


Anyone but me notice a few Jihoo/JanDi moments in Angel Eyes?  That’s what I was watching when this chapter was originally published.  We're now in January of the New Year. Jihoo couldn't stay mad at Ilana but I'm sure she's not off the hook. More fun to come.