Junhyung's Story

The Friendly and The Mean

            The bus ride to school was quiet. Doojoon sat apart from Junhyung and Yoseob and unfortunately, the two were seated next to each other. The tense silence between Yoseob and Junhyung unnerved the hyung. He kept watch on the two, making sure no violence was started.

            “So…how was your day yesterday?” Junhyung spoke calmly, not making eye contact with the younger one.

            Yoseob turned over in surprise but answered normally. “It was fun. Me and Doojoon didn’t start on the project yet.”

            “Yeah, I know.” Junhyung contained his anger about the ice cream scene, knowing that Doojoon was watching.

            “H-.” Yoseob shut his mouth, remembering he was the one who texted back to Junhyung. “Junhyung, why don’t you come work with us?”

            “I don’t do work.” Junhyung looked up and out the window, waiting for the school to appear.

            “Oh. Mmm…err…” Yoseob tried to find something to talk about but failed to. He reached into his bag and pulled out some of his lunch to snack on. He skipped breakfast that morning due to the fact that the alarm didn’t wake him up. The older one glanced over at him eating and turned away. Secretly, he was also hungry, but knew he had to wait until lunch. Clutching his grumbling stomach, he coughed to cover up the noise. The blonde looked over and looked at him. Smiling, Yoseob handed over some of his kimbap, surprising the older one. Junhyung reached for the food cautiously, but pulled his hand back and gave the boy a suspicious look.

            “You’re seriously giving me some?” Junhyung eyed the kimbap suspiciously.

            Yoseob rolled his eyes and giggled. “Aigoo, it’s not like I poisoned it or anything! Take some! I know you’re hungry!” Junhyung eyed it again but finally accepted it. He gobbled it down happily and created a little mess on his lap. Brushing it all off, he wiped his mouth off with his sleeve. Yoseob looked at him, amused. Junhyung stared back, not knowing what to say.

            “Err…K-Kamsahamnida,” he said while clearing his throat. The anger in him slowly disappeared. Yoseob smiled at him and nodded. Hesitating and deciding whether to give the hyung a hug, he finally wrapped his arms around him. Junhyung shot the boy a look, tensing up his body and had the urge to push him off. Looking up and seeing Doojoon smile, he kept calm and let the boy hug him. Yoseob released Junhyung from the hug and smiled again brightly. The school was nearing up and Junhyung got up and out of his seat. As the bus came to a stop, he ran out the door and headed to class. Doojoon quickly followed after and Yoseob ran around to search for Kikwang. After meeting up with Kikwang and Dongwoon, he began to walk to class.

-

            The whole class period, Junhyung drew all over his notebook. The boredom was killing him and he couldn’t wait to get out. Looking over at Yoseob, who was talking to Doojoon, he felt a wave of jealousy flow through him. He returned his glance to the notebook and closed it. Sitting alone in silence, he thought back on what he saw at the mall the day before and clenched his fist tight. “Yoseob, you are going to get it if I see anything else happening between you two.” Suddenly, he felt a hand on his shoulder and shot up in surprise.

            “Junhyung! Calm down, it’s only me,” Doojoon spoke calmly.

            “Oh, annyeong, Doojoon. What’s up?”

            “Nothing, you just seemed bored sitting here alone.” Junhyung smiled and looked away after hearing Doojoon’s notice.

            “Ahh, I just wanna get out of here. The class is about to end soon.” Junhyung began to pack up and glanced over at Yoseob who seemed to be smiling at him. Instead of smiling back, the bully shot back an evil glare and looked away. “Doojoon, why don’t you go back to Yoseob?” Junhyung honestly didn’t want Doojoon to leave him, but he wanted to see how Doojoon would answer.

            “Why, do you want me to?”

            “Well, I don’t mind if you do.” Doojoon looked at him with suspicion. Junhyung looked around and back at him innocently.

            “Junhyung, are you sure?”

            “No, I don’t mean it. I just wanted to see if you’d really go back. Haha.” Junhyung began laughing and pulled Doojoon over. The hyung rolled his eyes. An awkward silence took over the two. Yoseob finished packing up and gazed over to the two, eavesdropping on the conversation that began.

            “Mmm, Junhyung, why don’t you go talk to Yoseob?”

            “I don’t think he’ll want to talk to me after bullying him for so long.”

            “But, on the bus, he-“

            “Doojoon, I’m afraid of opening up to people.”

            “Why? There’s nothing to be afraid of from Yoseob.”

            “I never really told you, did I…?” From behind, Yoseob snuck up to listen.

~

            9-year old Junhyung walked around looking at the floor, in search of something to do. His father worked as a policeman and was constantly gone nowadays, but today was one of his days off from duty. At the time being, his mother was looking over a magazine article while waiting for the dinner to cook and his father was reading a newspaper article. He looked at his dad for a short time and ran to go find his ball. A few minutes later, he came out of his room with a blue ball in hand.

            “Dad! Can you play with me now? We don’t play much anymore! I still can’t catch!” Junhyung ran over to his father and held up the ball with pleading eyes.

            “Why don’t you go ask your mom to play with you?”

            “Mom’s busy!” Junhyung pouted and complained.

            “Alright, then. Why don’t you go outside and let me go change into my shorts first?” Junhyung’s father went in to change into more comfortable pants. The little Junhyung ran out with his ball and plopped onto the grass, waiting patiently for his father to come out. After his dad came out in a t-shirt and shorts, they started a game of catch. Constantly dropping the ball, Junhyung became frowned with frustration.

            “Dad! Can you teach me how to catch? I always drop it!” His father laughed and came over. Standing behind Junhyung, he grabbed his arms and outstretched them forwards.

            “Bend your elbows. And if you want to be ready to run, keep your knees bent a bit, also. Of course, don’t forget to keep the eye on the ball!” Junhyung nodded and his father ran back to position. As the ball left his father’s hands and into the air, Junhyung reached forth and tried to catch it again. But again, he dropped it. His appa ran over and patted his head. “Well, you were closer this time! It just takes a bit of practice.” He gave a reassuring smile to Junhyung and the boy nodded back with a determined smile. From inside the house, his mother called.

            “You guys! Get back inside, the dinner’s ready!” Junhyung got up and grabbed his father by the hand, dragging him along. Somewhere on the street, there was a loud crash. Junhyung’s father turned his attention over in the direction of the sound and saw the situation.

            “Junhyung, quick. Get inside the house.”

            “What’s happening?”

            “I’ll tell you later, daddy has to do his job right now.” He quickly ran in and grabbed the spare pair of handcuffs that he kept next to his police uniform. As he ran out the door, his wife called from behind.

            “HONEY, IS THAT ALL YOU’RE GOING TO TAKE WITH YOU? ISN’T THAT DANGEROUS?”

            “It’s ok, dear! I’ll be fine, there will be other guys to back me up!” he yelled back in response.

            “BE CAREFUL!”

            “I will!”  He was across the street and running after the criminal that caused the crash earlier. Behind him and the criminal were four other policemen, all armed. Junhyung’s father forced himself to run faster, forced his legs to move faster than they already were. He slowly caught up to the burglar and grabbed him by the shirt. Dropping the bag of items, the burglar tried to break free of his grasp, but the lone policeman already began to cuff one of his hands. With his free hand, the criminal tried to throw a fist at the policeman but missed. Junhyung’s father had dodged with surprising agility. Forcing the burglar to the floor, the policeman struggled to cuff his other hand. Junhyung’s father’s main plan was to slow the guy down, and allow the other police to catch up. The burglar fought back, but the plan had already succeeded. He was surrounded by the other four policemen in a matter of seconds and completely cuffed. The first policeman began to speak.

            “Good work, Yong.”

            “Just doing my job.” The father nodded. “I thought I could’ve been a help, noticing how far back you guys were.”

            “Ah, well, you were a lot of help. Thanks.”

            “Again, just doing my job.” He smiled and the policeman nodded. “I’ll go pick up that bag of stuff this guy dropped earlier on our chase.” He motioned at the masked burglar and walked off. While they were talking, the five didn’t notice the burglar slipping his hand into his pocket. The four policemen began to follow along with Junhyung’s father in front as the burglar clumsily, but swiftly, pulled out a pistol from his pocket, aimed it at the leading man’s head, and pulled the trigger.

-

            “NO!” Junhyung screamed through tears as one of the policemen told him what happened.”P-PLEASE, SIR. THIS IS ALL A LIE.” His tears flowed down his face as the man shook his head apologetically. Junhyung’s mother had her face against his shoulder, sobbing silently. Her arms were wrapped around him tightly, holding him back from doing anything careless.

            “I’m sorry, Junhyung, but…” The man didn’t know what to say and turned over to his mother. “Ma’am, I’m sorry. Is there anything we can do to help?” She sent Junhyung back into the house, signaling him to go to his room. She stood up and wiped away any tears that were still on her face. Junhyung walked through the hallway to his room, the last thing was spoken by his mother.

            “It’s fine…Thank you, sir…”

            Tears ran down his face, seeming to never end. He wrapped himself up in his blanket and laid his head down on the pillow. There was a knock at the door. It opened and his mother walked. She sat down beside him, her face stained with tears. The sorrow in her eyes hurt him. He sat up and hugged her tight. She put her arms around him and swayed back and forth, trying to calm the poor boy.

            “M-Mom…”

            “What is it, dear?”

            “That policeman was lying right? Dad will come back…right?” His mother remained silent and looked at him. A tear escaped her eye and ran down her cheek. Junhyung reached over and wiped it from her face.

            “No, Junhyung…He wasn’t lying.” Junhyung felt his heart shatter at her words. The many sharp pieces of his heart stabbed the inside of his body. The pain surged through him and he tried his best to hold it in.

            “Mom…Why did daddy do that?”

            “…Your father was a great man…He was just trying to keep his duty. If he let that bad guy run loose, they would’ve never caught him. You know that right?” Junhyung nodded, his head aching with each movement. “And you know that if he let the bad guy run around, it wouldn’t be safe, right?” Junhyung simply nodded again. “That’s the reason why he came running after the big, bad guy. He’s like a Superman, without superpowers. But this time, the bad guy had his weakness and there was nothing he could do about it. Just like when Superman runs into kryptonite.” Junhyung listened to everything his mother had to say and cheered up a bit, considering his father to be a superhero. His mother kissed him goodnight on the cheek and stood up. She walked over to the door, holding in her tears as she did. Turning around before closing the door, she said to Junhyung.

            “When you grow up, you will become a great man also. You’ll be my little superhero son! Remember that, okay?” Junhyung smiled and nodded, the pain slowly fading away. His mother smiled back. And said something that shouldn’t have been said.

            “Goodnight, son. I love you! Remember to become a great superhero, just like daddy!” and she closed the door.

            “Goodnight, mom! I love you, too.” Junhyung laid back onto his pillow and thought. Just like my father…?After what just happened…?Junhyung became of afraid of the future and grew insecure. He definitely did not want to lead a life that would have so much risk like his father. Listening around, he heard the sound of an ambulance from outside. Tears began to escape his eyes again but he tried to get some sleep. Soon, Junhyung was fast asleep. And after that night, he grew up to be the opposite of a great superhero. 

----

I think Junhyung's flashback idea is kinda ehhh... xD Tell me what you guys think. Thank you for reading/commenting/suscribing! :D Sorry I didn't update yesterday!