The Door To Safety

The Friendly and The Mean

            The JunSeung couple strolled down the street, holding hands and eating ice cream with their free hands. They had just been out to eat and were ready to go back home.

            “Omo, look at that Junhyung!” Hyunseung said as pointed over to a mural on the side of a shop. Junhyung looked at it, inspecting every detail that was put into the piece of artwork.

            “Wow, it’s so daebak! I should paint one on the side of my house…”

            “Haha, do you think you can?” Hyunseung said as he stared at the bright visuals.

            “Probably not.” He looked away and continued down the street, pulling Hyunseung along. Immediately, something caught his eye. “Hyunseung…do you see that?”

            “Hmm?” The older one turned over and looked at what Junhyung was facing. In that instant, the two sprinted down the streets, not caring if their ice cream was going to waste.

-

            “Kikwang, can I use the computer now?” Dongwoon sat on the older one’s bed, bored out of his mind. He looked around the room, trying to occupy his mind.

            “Wait, let me finish this assignment real quick…” Kikwang was focused and typing as fast as he could, making as little mistakes as possible. Dongwoon nodded and continued waiting patiently. The room was silent as Kikwang worked.

            Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Clickclick-c-click. Click-cl-clickclick-click.

            After a while, Kikwang saved his file and stretched his arms, sighing in relief.

            “Alright, I’m done! You wanna use it now right?” Dongwoon’s mouth stretched from side to side into a smile as he nodded happily. “Haha, here. Lemme go find something to eat.” Kikwang got up and out of the chair, letting Dongwoon take his seat. Walking to the door, Kikwang looked out the window as something caught his eye. “Is that…” He looked closer to make sure what he was looking at was correct. Suddenly, he grabbed Dongwoon’s arm and started to pull the boy up. “Let’s go!”

            “Aww, but I just got to use the computer!” Dongwoon pouted and frowned.

            “No time, come on. We need to hurry, Dongwoon!” The younger one sighed and stood up. The two hurriedly rushed out the house and rushed down the street.

-

            Beep! Beep!

            “Ugh…Is it time to get up already…?” Doojoon opened his eyes. Everything around him immediately became a blur. The room he wasn’t right. The feeling was clear to him, and he knew there was no time to dawdle. “Yoseob! YOSEOB, GET UP!” The blonde rubbed his eyes sleepily, still half asleep.

            “Neh…? What is it…?” Doojoon got up instantly and tried to wake up the boy. He pushed Yoseob off and pulled the boy back up.

            “WAKE UP! WE NEED TO GET OUT OF HERE!” Yoseob rubbed his eyes and tried to wake up.

            Beep! Beep! Cr-Crackle. Crackle.

            “I’m up, I’m up.” He opened his eyes and looked at the spectacle that was in front of him. A dreaded feeling immediately swept over him, fear struck his heart, and confusion flew through his mind. “F-Fire? D-D…Hyung! We need to get out!” Doojoon had already flung the backpacks onto his shoulder.

            “I know! Are we missing anything?!”

            “I-I don’t know!” The two ran around as the large fire in the kitchen had begun to spread. It was already too big to begin with, but it was quickly growing into a large inferno. “I don’t think so?! I can’t think! We just need to get out of here!” Doojoon nodded and headed for the door with Yoseob following. Suddenly, the boy stopped and turned back to face the hallway. The fire was making its way over to the hall, but Yoseob didn’t back out. “Wait!” he called to Doojoon and began to run back in.

            “Yoseob?! What are you doing?! We’re supposed to be LEAVING!” The hyung reached for the boy’s hand, missing by an inch. “Aish, YOSEOB!” But Yoseob was already gone. Doojoon unlocked the door, leaving it ready for escape, put the backpacks down, and ran back in for the boy. “Yoseob, what’re you doing?!” Yoseob was busy choosing out his favorite plushy toys to take with him.

            “I don’t want to leave all of them behind! Here! You hold onto this!” Yoseob dashed over and stuck the huge Chibimaru into the hyung’s arms, and ran back to his pile of plushies.

            “Aish, Yoseob, we have no time for this, hurry up and get out of here!”

            “B-B-But!” Doojoon grabbed the boy’s arm and dragged him out. The fire had already reached nearly all around the house, catching onto the walls of the hallway. “Wait!” Yoseob yanked away from the hyung’s grip, leaving him terrified and shocked.

            “Aigoo, YOSEOB, JUST GET OUT OF THERE! Arrrrgghhhh!” The boy disappeared through the door once more and soon came out with a huge sack.

            “I just remember I kept this large bag thing in my room, to hold all my plushy toys!” Yoseob smiled cheerfully, the background around him was a destructive field of flames. He looked to see if Chibimaru was safe. “Doojoon-hyung! Hold him up higher, he’s gonna catch on fire!” Doojoon did as he was told and charged over to the door, Yoseob following close behind.

            “You are so ridiculous! We were almost killed!” Doojoon scolded as they hurried to the door. A huge piece of scorching ceiling came crashing down, blocking off the escape way. “Great!” The smoke that filled the air made the couple dizzy.

            “Doojoon, we need to get down…” The older one did as he was suggested and they crawled around looking for a way to escape. They reached a window, and tried to open it.

            “Why won’t it open?! Ahh, it’s hot!”

            “You’re not holding on the handle…it’s over there…” Yoseob pointed over but his face drooped. The handle had already begun melting. The smoke continued to fill their lungs, blurring out their minds. “I think we’re going to die here…” The fire had started to catch onto the floor.

            From outside, Kikwang, Dongwoon, Junhyung, and Hyunseung all met in front of the dying house. Dongwoon pulled out his phone and started to make a call for the fire department. Kikwang’s eyes widened and he immediately charged over to the doorway. He tried to open the door, but it was blocked by something. The knob was warm, and he could see from inside the devastating sight.

            “You guys, get over here and help!” The other three immediately ran over and tried to push open the door, but it wasn’t budging. “How else can they escape…Aish, what do we do?!” They continued pushing on the door, it slowly moving. They pushed harder and harder, moving the huge slab of ceiling. From inside, Doojoon had noticed the moving door.

            “Yoseob, quickly, over there!” He feebly pulled on the boy and dragged him along with the Chibimaru plushy. Yoseob carried his bag as the two scurried across the floor to the slowly growing opening. “K-Kikwang?” Doojoon saw the boy pushing at the door. Yoseob’s face lit up.

            “Kikwang? Kikwang, help us!”

            “Don’t worry, just a bit more! Hang in there!” Doojoon pulled Yoseob in close and waited for the door to open. But the unfortunate happened. The door burst in flames as the fire had reached it and quickly the whole house was engulfed in the inferno. The blazing flames flickered and danced around, frightening the six. The trapped couple was sweating, just ready to pass out, but they held on. The blaze on the floor was already over to the living room and dining table, and it was still making way to the opposite wall where the DooSeob couple was.

            “Kikwang! Where are you?! Please!” Yoseob cried out, tears flooding from his eyes. Doojoon had also begun tearing, not wanting to die so soon. From outside, the four were deciding what to do, with the door now covered in flames.

            “Just kick down the door! The fire has already weakened it.”

            “It won’t bring anything else down, right…?”

            “There’s no other escape?”

            “Just do it now, it’s the only thing that can save them!”

            “B-But…” From inside, Yoseob was screaming for his life.

            “HURRY!” The flames traveled like raging waves from the ocean, so widespread and moving so quickly. Doojoon held him tight, tears now flowing down his face like rivers. “D-Doojoon…I-If we die in a few minutes…Please remember that I love you…” Yoseob clung tight onto the older one’s arms, sobbing and gulping for air, the smoke was choking him. Nodding became such a difficult task for the hyung.

            “Y-Yoseob…I love you, too…Please know that what you saw earlier was just a complete misunderstanding…And please forgive me…” Doojoon’s vision was blurry and soon his brain shut down. Black. I can’t believe I’m dying today…

            “Doojoon…? Doojoon?! KIKWANG!” Yoseob shrieked at the top of his voice as Doojoon out. The cries for aid quickly died down and soon Yoseob’s mind was no longer functioning. He was weary and had lost hope. He, too, began to shut his eyes, not knowing what would happen next. Doojoon, I love you…Kikwang, Dongwoon, Junhyung, Hyunseung…Thank you…for…try…ing…

            Finally, the three turned immediately to their only chance left. Dongwoon looked back at them seriously, taking a few steps forward, and kicked down the door. It easily broke down, leaving a slight entrance. They quickly moved it off with their feet and rushed in, seeing the unconscious two. Hyunseung gasped and covered his mouth. Kikwang immediately ran by.

            “No time.” He immediately grabbed Yoseob and carried him off to the outside world. He looked back and said to Hyunseung, “Hey, grab that bag, and the Chibimaru plushy. If Yoseob woke up with them missing, it won’t be a good thing.” Junhyung and Dongwoon had already lifted Doojoon up and was carrying him out the open exit. The fire barely reached them, giving Dongwoon a across the wrist and part of his arm. He cried out in pain but continued to carry the oldest out to safety. Hyunseung zoomed over to grab the toys as Kikwang said. Turning back to safety, another large slab of ceiling came crashing down, barely missing him. He jumped in fright and began to run faster, tripping on a large chunk of the broken house.

            “Aish, HELP!” Kikwang turned his attention over to the call of distress and set Yoseob down quickly. He charged back in and found Hyunseung on the floor, the fire quickly reaching his foot. Junhyung and Dongwoon immediately rushed in also. Kikwang grabbed the toys and headed out, leaving the stronger two room to work. They tried pulling Hyunseung up but his foot had been trapped under all the junk. The fire caught up and brushed against his ankle, making him cry out in pain. Junhyung quickly cleared out all the pieces of the broken house and the two pulled him out, helping him head out the escape way.

             Kikwang had noticed the two backpacks earlier and took them out along with the plushy toys. He searched around in the bags and pulled out a water bottle, quickly pouring it over Hyunseung’s slightly burnt ankle. He then did the same to Dongwoon’s arm. Exhausted, Junhyung and Dongwoon picked Doojoon up and began to carry him back to Junhyung’s house. Kikwang went over to pick up Yoseob, with the backpacks on his shoulder. Hyunseung carried all the toys and limped along with the group. They slowly trudged to Junhyung’s house to safety, dying from weariness.

            Behind, Yoseob’s house began to fall apart. The roof began to cave in and the walls had crumbled. Soon the house was nothing but a pile of flames when the fire department had finally reached. They had taken too long and least they could do was put out the fire before it caused anymore trouble. Once the group reached the designated house, they put Doojoon and Yoseob down onto the bed, placing cold towels over their heads. The couple was still hot from being trapped inside the house. Hyunseung went to the shower stall to rinse cold water down his ankle and Dongwoon ran his arm under the sink faucet. Junhyung and Kikwang sat and watched the DooSeob couple asleep. Soon they fell asleep, exhausted. 

----

Thanks for reading/subscribing/commenting! Sorry I didn't update yesterday :|''