The Assignment

The Friendly and The Mean

            Zzz…zzz…

            Yoseob slept peacefully for the past hour. Suddenly, the doorbell rang. The loud ring, ring, ring woke him up by surprise. Sleepily walking towards the window and checking for the visitor, Yoseob’s mind shot wide awake as he saw a large figure standing outside the door.

            “D-Doojoon?” he mumbled to himself. He began to panic. Afraid of what was going to happen, the blonde boy backed away from the window and curled up by the couch. He didn’t want to open the door.

            Ring. Ring. Ring.

            Doojoon’s voice was heard from outside. “That kid better open the door,” he spoke with a tone of frustration. Still curled up by the chair and now quivering with fright, Yoseob decided to face the menace that was behind his door. Slowly trudging towards the door, he reached forth for the knob.

            Ring. Ring. Thump. Thump. Thump.

            Yoseob flinched when Doojoon began to pound on the door, but he continued to open the door slowly.

            Click.

            He unlocked the door and opened it. The seriousness in Doojoon’s face was revealed. Yoseob shut his eyes closed and ducked, predicting an attack. Junhyung, who was standing behind Doojoon, stared in confusion. The emotionless face of the large figure quickly changed to show surprise. They stood there for about a minute or two until Yoseob opened one of his eyes, unharmed. He looked around and returned to face the two.

            “O-Oh, a-annyeonghaseyo!” The nervousness and embarrassment was clear in his voice. He bowed quickly and gave an uneasy chuckle. Doojoon began to speak.

            “What was that about?”

            “What? What was what about?”

            “You looked like we were about to attack you.”

            “Oh…ani! Ani! It’s nothing! It was nothing, ahaha,” Yoseob nervously laughed and turned red from embarrassment. He scratched the back of his head and tried to remain calm. “Well, did you guys need anything?”

            “Mmm, after you stormed out of that classroom, Mr. Kim called us back,” Junhyung began. “He asked us again, about the paper balls. But of course we blamed you.” Yoseob looked down with disappointment again. Doojoon examined the unhappy child and felt a bit of pity for him. Junhyung continued, “He decided, after seeing you so angry, to not give us detention,” At the moment those words left Junhyung’s mouth, Yoseob’s face lighted up with joy.

            “Really?! So no detention! Oh, thank you, Mr. Kim!” He jumped around happily and laughed with joy.

            “I wasn’t finished,” Junhyung interrupted the little celebration. Yoseob turned back to Junhyung and Doojoon with a shocked expression. The delight in his face disappeared again. Doojoon chuckled at the silly boy. “He told us that we have to complete a little project in place of detention. And, yes, it’s a group project.”

            “A PROJECT?! WITH YOU TWO?” the blonde shrieked in distress.

            “What? Got a problem working with us?” Doojoon asked, a little irritated.

            “Oh… aniyo, aniyo. Mianhe, mianhe.” Apologizing and bowing, Yoseob quickly hid his feelings.

            “Good, ‘cause you’re doing most of the work.” Doojoon smirked. The younger child fell silent. Then, he nodded sadly. “That’s a good boy.”

            “Well, we’re gonna leave now. Just wanted to let you know about ‘our’ project. Good luck finishing your part.” Junhyung and Doojoon left the little house that sheltered the miserable Yoseob.

            “Annyeong…” He closed the door. “A group project…and I’m stuck with most of the work…Hopefully the thing won’t be so hard.” Yoseob let out a huge sigh. He went to the bathroom and got ready to shower. He the warm water and let it run down his body. The warmth soothed him. After a moment of coziness, he shouted, “DOOJOON. JUNHYUNG. I HATE YOU BOTH SO MUCH.”

-

            “You know, I kinda feel bad for the little guy,” Doojoon told Junhyung as they both walked down the sidewalk.

            “Eh, why is that? You never felt any pity for anyone we’ve picked on. And we’ve been picking on this guy for a while now, why should your feelings change? It’s just the same thing every day.”

            “Well, that’s kind of part of the problem. We’ve been picking on him for so long now. He’s to the point where he’ll go nuts one day, and possibly attack us.” Junhyung laughed at this statement.

            “Doojoon, what can he do? It’s nothing, there’s no need to feel sorry or anything. Unless you have any feelings towards him. But, hah, I highly doubt that. I know you won’t fall for some pipsqueak like him.” Junhyung’s sureness was shown in his voice and Doojoon nodded in agreement.

            “Mmm, I guess you’re right. I’m probably just tired from all this project crap.” Doojoon shrugged. “But you know, his childishness and whininess is kind of cute.” Junhyung continued to look at the floor as they walked and soon he came to the turn to his house. They both lived in different directions from this point. He gave his friend a punch on the shoulder and chuckled.

            “You know, you shouldn’t soften up to this guy. You might end up weak. And I don’t want to have to leave you because of that. I don’t like hanging around soft people. Well, anyway, I have to go. Annyeong.” The two exchanged goodbyes and left off in separate directions. Doojoon continued on home with the piteous feeling stuck in his gut. On the other hand, Junhyung was slightly worried. “Doojoon, I really hope you’re not falling for him…I-…I’ll tell you one day.” Junhyung closed his eyes as he reached the door to his house.

            One day.

-

            Yoseob got out of the shower and grabbed a towel. He wrapped the towel around himself and ran into his room. After putting on some comfy shorts and a t-shirt, he began to dry his hair. He put the towel aside and sat down at his computer.

            Sigh…”I wonder what the project will be about. I guess I’ll find out tomorrow.” He turned the computer on and loaded up the school site. He checked his school mail and saw that Mr. Kim had sent him something. He read:

Annyeong, Yang Yoseob!

            So, I have talked to Doojoon and Junhyung about the mayhem in class today. I have decided to remove your guys’ detentions, but I must replace it with an assignment. The three of you are needed to come up with a presentation of some sort about proper school behavior! Now, I am not sure how you guys will do this but my main piece of advice is use the many different school rules and explain how students are needed to follow them! You may explain any other things about them all you like, the more and detailed the better, but remember not to ramble on about unnecessary things. Well I wish you three the best of luck, have fun working on it.

            P.S. Presentations may be a poster, report, skit, anything you three can come up with! It’s due three days from now! Remember!

                                                                                                Mr. Kim

            “Have fun…” Yoseob mumbled as he read over the last sentence. “What a dumb assignment…Why do I need to do this?” He placed his head down on his desk, again in frustration. Suddenly, his phone rang. Hello, Hello! Nareumdaero yonggil naessoyo! Hello, Hel- Yoseob answered the phone. “Yeoboseyo?”

            “Hey. It’s me, Doojoon.”

            “Doojoon? What do you want?” Yoseob was stunned. How’d he get my number?

            “You saw that email from Mr. Kim right?”

            “Yeah, I did. Why?”

            “Oh, never mind, then. I just wanted to tell you what the topic was for it. But you know already so it’s nothing!”

            “Oh, well okay, then. Kamsahamnida, Doojoon-hyung! I can call you that right?” On the other side of the line, Doojoon fell silent for a second.

            “Yeah. You can. While we’re working on this that is. But once we’re done, I don’t want you calling me that anymore. You got that?” Doojoon honestly didn’t want to revert back to bullying Yoseob, but as long as he was friends with Junhyung, he couldn’t let the younger brute down.

            “Oh, okay. I got it. But, I’m confused. Why are you so nice to me suddenly after today?” Yoseob was a bit confused over Doojoon’s sudden gentleness.

            “Well, if I wanted you to do most of the work, I should at least be nice to you, so you don’t rebel on me, Right?” This was not Doojoon’s truthful reason.

            “Mmm…You’re right, hyung. Well, I guess that works…As long as this is part of my grade, I’ll work hard. Hopefully, I don’t let both of you down, either. I don’t want to get into any…t-trouble with you guys…” Yoseob began to stammer as he confessed his fear to Doojoon. Doojoon’s pity had returned after hearing the words spoken by the younger one.

            “T-Trouble…? Err, that’s right. You better not let either of us down. Or you’re gonna get it. You keep that in your head, alright?” The bully tried to keep his voice intimidating and stern, keeping Junhyung on his mind. I can’t let Junhyung down, I’m his hyung and he follows me, he thought. His conflicted mind was hurting, so he decided to hang up. ”Yoseob, I’m gonna go now. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

            “Okay, I will see you tomorrow, hyung!” Yoseob said happily through the phone, making Doojoon smile. Before they both hung up, Yoseob quickly called for Doojoon’s attention. “Ah, Doojoon!”

            “Hmm? What is it?”

            “…How’d you get my number…?”

            “This other day I was bullying you, like usual, I took your phone without you knowing. I slipped it back into your bag when you weren’t looking. Mianhe.”

            “Oh, ani! It’s fine! I don’t mind. I think. It’s kind of creepy, but it wasn’t like you were ever going to call me, right?”

            “Haha, probably. Or I could’ve prank-called you.” The bully laughed a bit.

            “Haha, you could’ve! Well, okay, then. I’ll see you tomorrow, hyung!”

            “Bye, Yoseob.”

            They both hung up their phones and went to lie down in their own beds. Yoseob laid there and thought to himself. He really isn’t that mean…But it’s only for the project. Sigh… I wish I could befriend him. But I know he’ll change. One day!

            Doojoon pulled the blanket up to his chin and thought about Junhyung and Yoseob. I really can’t let Junhyung down. He looks up to me, really. But, at the same time, I really had enough of Yoseob getting hurt. I really hope everything resolves one day. I should just go to sleep. It’ll happen one day. One day.

            One day.

----

Ahhh, mianhe! It's still quite short, is it?^^'' I'll try to make them longer, if you want! (I know I want to xP) Thank you for reading! This chapter is updated quite quickly because I worked on it before I actually decided to submit it. Please comment! Kamsahamnida ^^