T

Guardian Angel

~Flashback~

 

“So who are you then, Dae?” I sneered as I balled up my fists.

I could see the sadness in his eyes. He looked so hurt and betrayed. His deep red eyes glistened with unseeing tears.

“I- don’t even know anymore.” He muttured.

Dae shrugged his shoulders and dropped his head. It looked like he had been defeated in a plaguing battle.

“Who are you right now, Dae? Tell me!” I shouted.

I saw Dae flinch a little before he lifted his head slowly to look at me. Tears had formed in his eyes and they slid down the sides of his face.

“I don’t know, okay! I don’t know who or what I am anymore!” Dae shouted back.

Dae dropped to his knees and I watched him beat his hands against in the hardened ground in frustration. My heart shattered into a million pieces as I watched the scene play out before me.

Never before had I seen Dae look so crushed.

I took slow and careful steps towards him. I towered over him and watched him lift his head to look at me. The tears kept streaming down his face as he looked up at me.

“We have to pick a side, Dae. You know we do. War will be upon us soon.” I whispered to him.

Dae stopped crying now and gently wiped away his tears. I wanted to comfort him. I wanted to hold him in my arms and never let him go, but I couldn’t do that.

“Then I’ll stay by your side, Jae. I won’t leave you.” Dae mumbled as he looked up at me with pleading eyes.

My heart became weakened by his words. I wanted to cry but I knew I couldn’t. I had to protect him no matter what.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before I looked back at Dae. I needed to do this. I needed to be strong for the both of us.

“You can’t, Dae.” I stated flatly.

“Why not?”

“Because we are enemies Dae. Angels and demons don’t go together. We can’t be together.” I hissed.

“Don’t do this Jae. Please? This isn’t you. I love you. You can’t leave me.” Dae spoke softly.

“I have to leave you Dae. It’s for your own good.” I replied.

“You can’t. You’re my Guardian. You can’t leave me. It’s our fate to be together. Please don’t do this to me. I need you.” Dae sobbed.

“Our fate can change. Goodbye, Dae.” I said flatly.

I stretched out my wings as I flew off into the air leaving a tearful and heartbroken Daehyun behind.

Once I made it into the air I couldn’t stop the tears from falling, and that’s when I felt the heavy rain slam against my body.

 

How many days, weeks, months had it been since I last saw Daehyun? I lost count after the first week. My mind constantly kept playing the last time I saw him. It felt like my own mind was punishing me for what I did.

My mind constantly betrayed me by showing me memories of when Dae and I were together. Those memories mocked me and made a laughing stock out of me. How cruel they could be.

I didn’t want to leave Dae but I had to. This was the only way to protect him. If we were apart then the Archangels couldn’t come after us, and we would be safe to keep our memories of each other.

War between Heaven and Hell was coming. I could feel it in the air. This war would soon change life as we know it.

The sun never came out since Dae and I have been apart. I guess that’s of my own doing. I probably deserve every punishment I get. After all, I left Dae when he needed me the most.

Why should I get a happy ending knowing that I left the person I love behind to suffer? Do I even deserve a happy ending after all the things I’ve done? Probably not.

 

I let out a sigh and got out of my bed. This small apartment held no value for me now that Dae wasn’t around.

My mind traveled to thoughts of Dae. How was he doing? Is he okay? Is he thinking of me?

That familiar pang in my chest crept up on me like a thief in the night. My heart was longing for Daehyun. I wanted to have him here with me. I wanted to hear his melodic laugh. I wanted to hear his soothing heartbeat in his chest that always made me feel safe. Most of all, I just wanted him to be back here with me.

I threw on a pair of shoes and headed out into the gloomy day.

 

My body soon took me to the beach where Dae and I spent most of our time together. I love the beach. I love the feeling of sand between my toes, and I love the sound of the waves crashing on the shore.

To me the beach is peaceful. It relaxes me and a sense of calmness always washes over me.

I removed my shoes and walked into the edge of the water. The water felt cold on my feet and if I was human it would probably freeze my feet off.

I let my head fall back and just closed my eyes trying to imagine the warm sun beating down on my face.

A pair of footsteps could be heard making their way towards me. I peeled open my eyes and looked in the direction of the intruder.

Daehyun slowly made his way towards me and I gasped in shock at the sight of him.

His hair was a complete mess, he had on baggy clothes, it looked like he had lost some weight, he had bags under his eyes that made him look like he hadn’t slept in weeks, but what hurt me most was seeing as how it looked like he had all of the life out of him.

It looked like he had given up on living. Seeing him like this just broke my heart. I didn’t know he would take my leaving so hard. I wanted to cry right then and there, but I remained frozen just staring at him in complete shock.

“You’re here.” Dae whispered.

Even his voice sounded different. It sounded so monotone like he had rehearsed that line a thousand times.

“I am.” I replied.

Just then Dae started to laugh a little. It was a bitter laugh and it terrified me. I had never seen him like this before.

“You can leave now. I’m tired of this dream. The real Jae isn’t coming back to me. He left me.” Dae scoffed.

My eyes widened in shock. He thought that he was in a dream? He thought I wasn’t real? Oh Maker, what have I done?

“Dae, I am real. This isn’t a dream. I’m really here.” I reassured him.

“Yeah. Sure you are. That’s what you said last time too.” Dae said bitterly.

How many times had he dreamt of me while I was gone?

“How can I prove to you that I’m real?” I mumbled.

Dae just glared hatefully at me his eyes were a deep shade of red. I didn’t know what to do to prove that this wasn’t a dream.

An idea came into my head and I smiled at Dae. He shot me a confused look as I slowly approached him.

I pressed our foreheads together and looked into his eyes. His breath hitched as he stared right back at me.

I soon closed my eyes and pressed our lips together. I had missed that feeling of his lips on mine.

His lips didn’t move at first but then his lips slowly started to move with mine. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him further into me. I let out a hearty moan as Dae my bottom lip.

I had to pull away from him before things got heated. I stared at Dae who looked at me with confusion on his face.

I slowly shook my head at him, “this isn’t a dream.”

Dae’s eyes lit up as he pressed his fingers to his lips. The faintest smile formed on his lips as his eyes sparkled.

“It’s really you? You’re back.” Dae mumbled.

“Yeah. I’m back, and I’m never leaving you again. I’m so sorry. Please forgive me.” I begged as I dropped to my knees.

“I already forgave you a long time ago. You had your reasons, I’m sure. Just don’t ever leave me like that again.” Dae stated as he pointed a finger at me.

“Of course. I’m never ever leaving you again. I love you.” I mumbled.

Dae helped me to my feet and instantly pulled me into a tight embrace.

“I missed you.” Dae whispered as he nuzzled into my neck.

“I missed you too.” I replied.


AN: This was a very emotional chapter to write, but I wanted to show everyone that DaeJae didn't always have happy times together. CHAPTER 24 WILL CONTAIN THE !! You have been warned. Haha! Comments and subscribers are welcome here. Thanks to those of you that have commented, subscribed, and even voted up this story. Thanks for the support!! ^_^