L

Guardian Angel

This chapter is in honor of the fourth of July for all us Americans. Enjoy!! ^_^


Daehyun and I stepped into the backyard of his cottage home. My eyes widened as I took in all of the scenic beauty before me.

I saw nothing but fescue grass for miles. Dandelions were scattered through-out the lawn, and tiny purple flowers outlined the soles of my shoes. I smiled widely as I saw a wild rabbit run across the yard. This place was the definition of perfect, and if I was a human I would love to live in a place like this.

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” Daehyun asked as he smiled at me.

“It is. I’ve never seen something so beautiful like this before. I’ve only heard about it but I’ve never seen it.” I said softly.

“Well if I knew that I would have taken you here sooner. Let’s go to the pond now.” Daehyun replied as he gently grabbed my hand.

That shock I felt each time we touched had become tolerable now. I barely noticed it now. Daehyun didn’t seem to mind it anymore either.

We stepped onto the pathway made of pebbles and headed towards the pond.

The pond was fairly large and a white bridge in Japanese style divided it. We walked to the middle of the bridge and looked around. Waterlilies covered the top of the water, and I could see both small and large Koi fish dart around the water. Cattails surrounded the edges of the pond, and purple irises littered the edges of the pebbled pathway.

I leaned over the railing of the bridge and watched the fish swim around. Some of them started to swim to the top and kiss the water.

“What are they doing?” I asked as I pointed to the fish.

“Oh. They’re probably hungry. I’ll go grab the fish food real quick. Just stay here while I go get it.” Daehyun mumbled.

“Okay.” I replied as I turned back to look at the fish again.

I could see my reflection in the water before I spotted someone else’s. I turned around and smiled at the person before me.

“Bom. What are you doing here?” I asked in surprise.

She smiled sweetly at me before she spoke, “I came to see you before I leave. The Archangels gave me a new human to guard.”

“Really?! That’s wonderful Bom. I’m so happy for you. Who is your human?” I asked excitedly.

“His name is Choi Junhong. You two have already met. Oh! Where is your human?” Bom asked as she looked around.

My stomach did an unfamiliar flip when I heard Bom say your human. I couldn’t help but smile when I thought of Daehyun.

“He went to go get food for these fish. He should be back in a minute.” I replied.

“I see. Well I guess I should leave then. It’s very beautiful here. It reminds me of the gardens in Heaven.” Bom stated as she gazed over the pond.

“Yes. I think so too. I guess I’ll see you later then. Goodbye Bom.” I smiled at her.

“Goodbye Youngjae.” She replied.

I watched her as she flew off faster than the speed of light. A sigh escaped me as I remembered that it was forbidden to fly here especially near humans. To make it even worse, a yellow butterfly flew right past my face.

Daehyun came back carrying a large container of what looked like fish food. He had a smile plastered on his face as he walked up to me.

“Do you want to feed them?” Daehyun asked me as he opened the container.

I flared my nostrils at the nasty smell of the fish food. Daehyun just chuckled at me a little. He held the container in his hand as I took a pinch of food from it. The food was flaky and started to crumble between my fingers.

“Now all you do is throw the food into the water. Make sure you sprinkle it all over though.” Daehyun instructed.

I nodded and sprinkled the food into the water. I watched as hundreds of fish swam to the top and instantly began to devour the food. I grabbed another pinch of food and threw it in. Within seconds all of the food I had thrown out was devoured. Not a trace of food remained.

“Mom said that our neighbors will be shooting off fireworks tonight. We can watch them from here if you want.” Daehyun said as he popped the lid on the food container.

“Sure. I’d love to see them.” I exclaimed.

I had never seen fireworks before but I had heard Bom mention them to me a few times. She said they would always light up the night sky and it would leave you in a pleasant trance from the beauty of it.

 

 

It was late in the evening when Daehyun and I headed back outside to go watch the fireworks. We quickly took our seats on the bench that was near the pond. Everything was so quiet and peaceful as we sat there.

“Will your mom be joining us?” I asked.

“No. She got called in to work tonight.” Daehyun frowned.

“Oh. What does she do?”

“She’s a nurse. Mom is hardly ever at home since she works so much. She just can’t seem to turn down people in need.” Daehyun smiled.

I smiled too. His mom truly was a good-hearted person.

Just then the sound of a loud gunshot could be heard.

“Oh! The fireworks are starting.” Daehyun said happily.

I followed his gaze to the sky. Loud noises could be heard and I watched as the sky lit up in colors of blue, red, green, white, and purple. I looked at the sky in awe. I was mesmerized by the way the remnants of the fireworks trickled down from the sky.

“Oooh! That was a good one.” Daehyun yelled out.

I smiled before I turned to look at him. He looked so happy and child-like sitting there. His eyes were wide and he had the cheesiest smile plastered on his face. He had his fingers intertwined as he held his hands up to his chest. He looked completely…..happy. I could see the faintest twinkle in his eyes as he continued to stare up at the sky.

“Daehyun….” I whispered.

He turned to look at me with that twinkle still in his eyes, “Youngjae….”

“Thank you.” I whispered slowly.

“You’re welcome.”

The faintest smile graced my lips as I closed my eyes to take in all of the sounds. Loud booms from the fireworks could still be heard.

I suddenly felt something soft and warm being pressed up against my lips. I realized that it Daehyun’s mouth. I don’t know why I did it, but I found myself slowly kissing him back.

Our lips moved in sync with each other as we slowly took in what was happening. His plump lips felt soft to the touch and at that moment I wanted nothing more than to have his lips on mine forever.

Daehyun pulled away quickly as I slowly recovered from my dream-like trance. My heart was beating wildly at this new found feeling and sensation.

I blinked a few times before I looked at Daehyun.

His eyes were frozen in both shock and horror. There was a burning look in his eyes. His eyes had turned a deep scarlet color as he continued to remain unmoved.

“Daehyun, what’s wrong?” I hesitantly asked.

“I-I remember.” He choked out.

My eyes widened in shock as well as that familiar ringing in my ears returned to me. That well known headache had also returned to me as well.

 

I was soon met with nothing but the pitch black.


A/N: Hmmm.....I wonder what Dae remembered? Wonder what happened to Jae as well? Looks like things will be more interesting now. Comments and subscribers are very welcome here. Spam the heck out of my comments if ya want too. Thanks to those of you that voted up this story. I appreciate all of the support. Thank you!! ^_^

Side note: This chapter was inspired by the beautiful works of the French painter Claude Monet. 

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!! ^_^