The Fight

Dear Diary

Eli’s mum looked at the TV at the wrong time. She saw the kiss and looked down at her food, "Maria, turn the TV off!"

The maid hurried in and turned the TV off.

“Aw, mum... why? It was funny. Just a kiss anyway,” Eli said jokingly. “It’s not even real," he added softly when he saw his mum glare at him.

“Are you alright with this? Do you think it’s right? They're both guys; two young boys kissing each other!” Eli’s mum screeched. Suddenly, his mum's angelic face didn't seem so kind anymore.

“YES, I DO think it's alright as a matter of fact. Why is it wrong? It’s about love. If a guy loves another guy then that’s that! They should be allowed to do whatever they want!” he half-shouted back.

He didn't know why, but when his mother had said to turn off the TV, he had felt a pang in his heart. He wasn’t gay but he didn’t think there was anything wrong with it. Maybe it's because I'm ashamed to have such a narrow-minded mother. He saw his father trying to calm his mother, while Eunhye sat next to him startled.

“Eunhye,” he said with a gruff voice, still disgruntled at the situation.

“Y-Yes?” she replied quickly, seemingly nervous.

“Go home. I’ll call you," he whispered as he placed a hand on her shoulder.

“Okay,” she got out of her seat, looked at the parents and bowed, “Thanks for having me, the dinner was delicious.”

Eli looked at her plate and saw everything was untouched. He frowned but before he could say anything she had run out the door.

He sighed and stabbed at his food. "Eli," his mother said in a shaky voice, "Let's just eat."

He nodded and poked his fork into a piece of meat. "Sorry mum," he whispered.

His mother's face was angelic once again, "It's okay. I think you should go and get Eunhye though. She didn't eat anything."