Chapter 8

Neighbors

Chapter 8!

 

The smell of burning wood greeted my nostrils as I tried to continue sleep. I was partly dazed by crying but more than that, remembering Junho as soon as I tried opening my eyes was the first thing that came.

 

It was just a few hours ago when I felt his warm hands in my back as I wept. It was just a few hours ago when I found myself listening to his thoughts, as if those were the only sustenance that I needed. His comforting gaze, his tender touch, everything that I felt when I was crying for a heart that once betrayed me… it suddenly changed. And while I knew that I could not do anything to change the past… his words linger.

 

I checked my watch and saw that it was past three in the morning. I did take a short nap but such provided the best reprieve as I woke up refreshed… somehow relieved.

 

The smell of burnt wood alongside the rustling of the leaves as they met the fire welcomed me again. I then stood up, got my jacket and slid out of the tent to see Junho sitting by the fire… somewhat having the moment by himself.

 

“Did you not sleep? You don’t have to guard me you know, I won’t kill myself.” I chuckled and he did the same.

 

I sat beside him and the bluish, orange flames got bigger… despite the breeze.

 

“I tried sleeping… earlier… but I woke up half way so I ended up here.”

 

Silence. It was one of those shared silences but this time, this one was different. It was friendlier.

 

“How about you? Did you get some rest?”

 

I nodded and then I saw him turning his gaze to the growing fire ahead.

 

“We were going home… from here when our boat sank… the waves were really big that time… Eunhyuk was a good swimmer but I guess… that time, the waves were better…”

 

I then focused my gaze towards Hyoyeon…. as she recounted the details of the past… knowing that she was again opening up… I knew I had to listen. She continued,

 

“…saving me was the last thing that I wanted for him to do… but the guide during that time wasn’t able to do anything… I thought that it was the end for me… I was already seeing nothing… I was unconscious and the next thing I knew… I was in the hospital… in Seoul… and he… he was gone.”

 

“Hyoyeon-sshi---”

 

“Just call me Hyoyeon. Let’s just drop the honorifics okay?”

 

“Okay.”

 

“Hmm… Where were we again? Ah right!” She faked a smile as she remember where she left off

 

“His family was mad… I understand them… they never liked me in the first place… to them I was just a distraction. They wanted Eunhyuk to become a doctor and he was about to do his residency in the States… even though I don’t like it, ‘coz he’s going to be far away from me, I still agreed… we came here… to celebrate…”

 

Her words were echoing amidst the breeze that brought this scent of both weeds and sea. Her voice was cracking… tears were again forming… I posed to move closer, I put my arm around her and she never resisted. She then resumed with her tale,

 

“Maybe, you would think… death was something that I should have overcome long time ago… dealing with it should come easy since years passed… That’s why, I worked my off just to forget… his family ended up hating me for what happened… while I dealt with misery… for a while I thought I deserved the loneliness… ‘coz my life took another life… If he didn’t save me… If he just let me drown, maybe… he was still alive.”

 

“But he would still save you, Hyoyeon... even though you don’t want to, he will still save you… because he loved you, you’ve beaten yourself up so many times… two years was more than enough… don’t you think Eunhyuk-sshi would want to see you happier, living a full life rather than to see you like this?”

 

I heaved a sigh… and looked further to see the nothingness that the vast sea offered. The sound of the crickets nearby… the feel of the wind brushing against my cheeks… with Junho’s arm draped with security… I knew… I was blessed… I am getting my heart back.

 

“Junho?”

 

“Hmmm?”

 

“Will you help me…. will you help me forget?”

 

The question… her question had me both worried and satisfied. Satisfied, for finally she is taking the chance and she is doing it with me. I liked Hyoyeon more than what Yuri or Nickhun thinks. But I was also scared… for I knew that I could be the rebound… and being the rebound wasn’t ideal to begin with.

 

Worried… oh yes, I am. For when I took the chance to help her inside her unit, I knew that my likeness could turn worse… when she said that she wanted friendship, I agreed thinking that it was the next best thing. But now… hearing the question… knowing that she wanted me to try things… with her… it was not just a basic question of forgetting… but a question that will tear me up when the answer ended up bitter.

 

I had reservations. My heart was doing these somersaults while my mind wasn’t agreeing fully. But this time, I also knew that my heart won.

 

I found myself planting a soft kiss on her temple. I pulled her close. I drenched my heart in joy as rooted from a love that was promising but at the same time unsure…

 

And just like the leaves that turn to ash alongside the burnt wood… I am opening my heart… to be tried… burned… and possibly, trifled.

 

***************

 

Hi guys! just a heads up... I might not be able to update for about 2-3 days because of my exam but don't worry i'll assure you that you will love the upcoming chapters!^^

Don't forget to leave your Comments & Subscribe!