Chapter 18

Neighbors

Chapter 18!

 

The smell of freshly-brewed coffee, amidst the sight of inviting desserts arranged colourfully in trays, from pumpkin pies to apples tarts and raspberry brulee, all these should have been inviting… tempting… but even my penchant for sweets could not take the worries off my head.

 

I chose the table that was located at the farthest corner of the shop, more likely, beside the window where I could get a good look of both passersby and bystanders.

 

This is supposed to be a happy day with my best friend. Yuri and I were the regulars. This has been our comfy place… our nook… the very witness to our rants, lullabies as well as grudges. But I could not even get myself to lift a finger to touch this delightful piece of apricot tart that the owner generously shared.

 

Surely, there was something wrong with me. I know exactly what it is…

 

“Hyo, sorry, I’m late. So how are you my dear? Uh-oh… don’t tell me…”

 

She was sure swift with words as she managed to ask those questions in succession while hurdling with this strange guy, whose legs were stretched, it almost tripped her. Normally, Yuri would go nuts and started complaining but as she approached me on the table… she instantly knew.

 

We are sitting across from each other. Silence was too deafening that I could hear every clank and clink.

 

“Okay now, Hyo. Talk.”

 

She started by letting go of her dessert fork that for awhile reveled in Crepe Suzette… and yeah, that was a biggie… it really was.

 

I sighed, “Yuri… do you think Junho will get mad at me if… if he finds out that I lied?”

 

“Pabo! Of course he will, but wait, it depends on the lie… tell me, what is it? Did you cheat on him?”

 

“Me? Cheat? Are you really sure you're my bestfriend? Do I look like someone who’s about to cheat? Huh?!”

 

“Okay! Sorry… But can you just tell me what is it?”

 

“You know Hyukjae right? I went with him in Buyeo a few days ago and…”

 

“You didn’t tell him? When is that?”

 

“Hmmm… three days ago?”

 

“Three days… three days… oh em, so you stood him up? Tsk, tsk, so that’s the time when me & Khunnie can’t concentrate on what we’re watching because your boyfie keeps on calling us. But wait, he said that you will go home? Don’t tell me you spend the night with Hyukjae? I will really hit you in the head.”

 

“Of course not! I still went home but when I get there he’s already sleeping… so, I really missed out on dinner.”

 

“So, Junho doesn’t know that you’re with Hyukjae? Hmm… maybe he doesn’t really need to know anymore to think that there is nothing weird that happened right? You said it yourself, you just missed the dinner but you're still able to go home right? Why it bothers you this much?”

 

“I told him that I needed to help a friend. That’s why I wasn’t able to go home on time. Junho never really asked so I never had the chance to explain but Yuri… Do you think it’s right for me to hide it from him… that there’s this someone who seemed interested with me?”

 

“Woah! Wait! Hold on a second, did I hear the last part right? Are you telling me that Hyukjae was hitting on you? Yah! Hyoyeon, even though I’m not that close with the brother of your ex, I know that he is a player. Even Eunhyuk doesn’t trust that kid.”

 

“sigh~ I know…but he tends to say things… he even ask for my Dad’s permission just to make me accompany him in Buyeo. I just don’t want to make Junho think about something else… he doesn’t even know Hyukjae. And maybe, it would be Hyukjae’s last attempt to… you know… insist or make me accompany him.”

 

“I dunno, Hyo. I just don’t trust the guy. Remember the time when I told you that if not only you we’re dating Eunhyuk, I would say, that maybe, he would also court you? I really meant that. It’s so obvious.”

 

“So tell me, should I be worried?”

 

“Yeah, you should. And if I were you, I would tell Junho.”

 

============

 

Tonight’s a normal Friday but to me and Junho, this is our movie day. We would do this regularly either in my unit or his place, whichever seemed fit.

 

I chose to spend the night with him in his pad tonight. For clearly, I was somewhat trying to compensate for missing out on dinner. I wanted to talk to him too about Hyukjae. I wanted to get this thing off my chest as soon as possible so that I won’t feel guilty.

 

We are sitting side by side. His arm draped on my shoulder, with his head leaning towards mine. I wanted to do Yuri’s advice but maybe, after the movie, would be the perfect time.

 

“I think you’re an Annette.”

 

“Why is that?”

 

“Coz you’re too afraid to love at first. You had reservations. There are things that you valued so much, you never wanna risk it.”

 

“So, you’re a Sebastian?”

 

“Hahaha, maybe. Aside from good looks, I have this charm that sweeps women off their feet,haha! Maybe, the only difference was I don’t play with fire. I only make love. Haha!”

 

“Tsk, stop complimenting yourself haha!”

 

“But really baby, see this movie? “Cruel Intentions” It’s about deception, luring people into doing something that they would regret afterwards. Simple really, but if you’ll try to look closely, you’ll learn a lot.”

 

“Okay, Mr. Know-it-all, what could a predictable movie with a basically simple plot teach you?”

 

“That even the simplest of lies can ruin relationships, that secrets should not be kept. Honesty baby, that’s the key.”

 

“But Sebastian was forced to lie to Annette coz he felt it was the right to do.”

 

“But he ended up bringing his journal to her right? Still, he chose the right thing. He did the right thing.”

                                             

“Too bad… it was too late…”

 

“Yeah… too bad. But with you, I won’t have any problems.”

 

“Because?”

 

“Because we love each other so much… that we won’t be stupid to keep secrets.”

 

His words… how can I dampen his spirit tonight by telling him something that I lied about…

 

How can I figure a way to relate to him that I have a secret… an unintentional one…

 

It looks like… I am no Annette or Sebastian.  I chose to be just Hyoyeon… the Hyoyeon who chose to keep silent… for now.

 

Some other time, maybe… some other time…

 

 

***************

 

Ouch! It hits her right into her heart :( I really do hope she could tell Junho the truth before it's too late!

Comment & Subscribe!