Chapter 16

Neighbors

Chapter 16!

 

“Hyo, are you okay?”

 

Hyukjae… he arrived fifteen minutes after I spoke with my Dad. I knew that I wasn’t doing anything wrong. This is Hyukjae, it’s just that I felt guilty…

 

“Baby, can we cancel our dinner?”

 

“Why?”

 

“Something came up. I’m sorry… I know, I promised no more cancelled dates but Dad—”

 

“It’s okay, baby. I understand, so should I wait for you later? How about…”

 

“What?”

 

“How about sleeping over? My place? Tonight?”                      

 

Junho… I couldn’t get myself to refuse… especially now… but of course I loved to…

 

“Hyo, why are you smiling? wanna share?”

 

Hyukjae might have noticed the smile on my face as I remembered my last convo with my boyfriend. Hyukjae was kind but when he started to insinuate things… kid about his supposed feelings for me during our last “date,” I couldn’t help but feel uncomfortable.

 

“Nothing, I just remembered something, so where are we heading?”

 

“I thought Uncle told you. You really don’t know?”

 

I was confused… but at the back of my mind, I was nervous as hell.

 

“I’m just here to accompany you right? To check out this new place that you’re about to rent? Wait... tell me, it’s only here in Seoul right?”

 

“Hyo, no. The place that I’m telling you was in Buyeo.”

 

Hyoyeon… calm down… it was just a few hours away, don’t you worry. It was my inner voice encouraging me to simply shrug it off despite hearing my other inner voice that obviously screamed- NO. Tell that frigging idiot to turn around and bring you home.

 

“What time are we going back?”

 

I was more serious now and I guess, Hyukjae was able to get the hint. He sighed and looked partly defeated.

 

“Can’t say, Sorry that we had a misunderstanding.”

 

“It’s okay.”

 

“I thought Uncle already explained it --“

 

“I said it’s okay, I just want to go back early, if you don’t mind.”

 

“Yeah, I’ll see what I can do.”

 

“Hyukjae!!”

 

“Okay, okay... lighten up deary, what’s with the mood? We used to have fun, light conversations, what happened to you?”

 

He was right. He was Eunhyuk’s brother and back in the days, he was one of my favorite peers. He would always tag along whenever Eunhyuk and I went out on trips. I did not mind. He was fun to be with.

 

But the thing was…

 

“Coz really, Hyo, I could be your lab rat,haha!”

 

“What? If only your brother could hear you, Hyukjae.”

 

“If only my brother could hear me then maybe, you guys never happened.”

 

Those words… I wasn’t born yesterday and I knew that Hyukjae was trying to tell me something; something that I never wanted to know myself.

 

====================

 

She will be arriving anytime now and I should be prepared. I was laying the plates carefully on the table. I placed the cutlery in their supposed places while minding the Panna Cotta in the fridge. She likes sweets no doubt. In fact, I double checked every recipe with Yuri.

 

“Yuri, what now? Are you sure she’ll like it with berry sauce? Okay, okay… Hahaha, no! It’s only a simple dinner. Just tell Nickhun I said hi. Thanks… okay, bye.”

 

I was happy for my lovely girlfriend would be spending the night here in my place. It wasn’t her first time to be here really but when she called to tell me that she might be home for dinner, I opted to prepare something for her.

 

Hmmm… so everything’s set…

 

“Is there anything missing?” I thought and then I remembered that one remaining element to make this simple dinner more special… candles.

 

9pm. I checked my phone and no messages still. I stood up and tried appreciating the table setting that I arduously did… I was hungry but yeah, I want to wait. So, I waited.

 

11pm. I brought my phone out and dialled her digits but it seemed that she ran out of battery. I stood up… walked back and forth… looked at the table but as hours passed… my hunger wore off… I want to wait still… so I did.

 

I dozed off… in the couch. I straightened myself up. Looked at the table and the once vibrant colors of folded napkins, table cloth and accessories faded… not even the finest set of china that my mother handpicked could possibly change anything… and just like the tall taper candles that earlier brightened the table… my spirit was melting…

 

I was down… felt blue… disappointed.

 

The time… 1 am.

 

***************

 

Aw~ i feel bad for Junho:(

Comment & Subscribe!