Chapter 24

Neighbors

Chapter 24!

 

If you are happy, as in extremely happy, no one can burst your bubble.

 

Junho was back. He was caring and loving and accepting, I could not ask for more.

 

I, on the other hand, managed to speak with Hyukjae, with Junho’s consent, of course, telling him that he had to respect my relationship with Junho. He never hesitated nor argued.

 

If you are happy, time moves fast… I was surprised thinking that it has been nearly a month since we made up. I was back to my old, giddy self while he? He has been more real, sincere, that every term of endearment that he utters; every gesture that he makes, I could certainly feel.

 

We were in love and we still are… the next days and what lies ahead hold a certain promise that only our hearts could decipher.

 

It took me years before I had the courage to set foot in this place…

 

Alas! I was no longer that fragile, emotionally broken girl, whose fiancé died a few years back…

 

I refused to sulk in sadness and moved on… god, even the mere idea sent chills to my spine.

 

I have finally moved on.

 

The tears I shed for him can never be accounted for. The memories that Eunhyuk left for me to savor remains and it surely provides a different kind of joy.

 

I was here, sitting on the grass, speaking to Eunhyuk… with hopes of renewing everything that I nearly lost.

 

“Eunhyuk… I know that you might sulking at me, coz I only get to visit you here again after for so long. It’s so hard for me when you left, I don’t know where to begin again. But you know what, I met someone. He is funny & he takes good care of me… Just like you then. He helped me get through this… and I’m thankful that he did. I know that he doesn’t want me to forget you; I didn’t tap him to replace you. But Hun, I’m happy… and I know that you’re happy seeing me happy.  He loves me…”

 

Assurance. We want that from people we love. We want our feelings to be justified… felt… recognized. And as I whisper my prayers to the wind… as the breeze gently touches my face... I found what I longed for… closure… closure from a past that left me hurting… and yes, the hurt wasn’t there anymore.

 

============

 

“Min, do I still have schedule for today?”

 

“Hmmm… dinner with Mr. Choi at 7pm.”

 

“Can you re-schedule it? I needed to go home early.”

 

“Hm… I’m guessing that you have another date again? Haha! I really envy you Ms. Kim!”

 

Min… my personal secretary and friend… what would become of me if she wasn’t here to guide or help me… I was blessed to have her.

 

“Why are you looking at me like that Ms. Kim…?”

 

“Min, did I ever been kind to you? Or Am I really grouchy & snob just like what other people told me?”

 

She pulled a chair and sat comfortably. She then met my gaze. I smiled.

 

“You are one heck of a moody boss, Ms. Kim. But you’re the one and only moody boss that I loved.”

 

“Really?”

 

“Of course! Remember the time when I can’t get a job because I’m undergraduate, so you asked your dad to hire me. I was a single mom, with no money or family, but then you came and helped me. I owe you, super. Words couldn’t express my gratitude towards you or your family. That’s why even though you’re grouchy or you always scold me every time, I will stay.”

 

I reached for her hand and muttered, “You don’t have to thank me, Min. What you did for me and my dad... is so more than enough than what we did for you. Thank you.”

 

“Let’s not be emo now Ms. Kim. Just go home now; I will cancel your last appointment. Just go to you Prince Junho.”

 

“Hahaha, thank you Min!”

 

==================

 

Second chances… not all people have them.

 

I was given this chance to prove myself, to love her even more.

 

Fate was kind for I have met Hyoyeon but God was kinder, for he gave her to me.

 

I had everything set. I would ask her to marry me. My mom said it was too early but I can no longer wait… I wanted her to be mine… I wanted her to own me.

 

My mind wandered. My heart beats fast thinking of what lies ahead. A year long engagement would suffice then we will tie the knot in her preferred church.

 

I wanted an intimate wedding, with our closest friends and family as witnesses.

 

I could imagine her already in her white, flowing gown, looking elegant and perfect.

 

I would be waiting on the aisle… wishing about so many possibilities, starting a new life even having babies… lots of them.

 

She’s here. I thought upon hearing loud knocks on the door. I readily moved.

 

“Baby, where’s your spare key? Did you forgot it agai--- what are you doing here?”

 

Apparently, it wasn’t the face that I hoped to see at this very hour.

 

==================

 

“Good evening, Ma’am!”

 

The guard greeted me and I smiled back. I could not wait to see him… he told me that he had something for me.

 

One, two, three steps… if only I could stretch these legs so I could walk faster, I would.

 

I pushed the button, entered the elevator.

 

Third floor, unit 215… I’m coming for you.

 

The elevator opened. I stepped out.             

 

One, two, three, a couple of steps more… and I was already seeing his front door.

 

With a smile on my face, I opened my purse, got hold of the spare key and slid it inside the lock.

 

Surprises… they’re like unopened gifts for Christmas. And now, I’m about to open one.

 

With the door half-opened, I saw two figures kissing… Junho and this woman.

 

Damn.

 

=======================

 

“What are you doing here?”

 

She let herself in and closed the door behind her. I could not believe what I’m seeing.

 

“Just paying a visit. How are you, Junho?”

 

“Answer me, how did you even-“

 

“I had my ways.”

 

“Sorry but you have to leave. You are not welcome here.”

 

“Hey, hey. That was rude. Won’t you even offer me a drink, just like the old times?”

 

“That was the only time, and that was the last, Just go or else I’ll call the security.”  

 

“Okay, as you wish but I won’t leave without my goodbye kiss.”

 

In one swift move, she held my neck and pulled me close.

 

“Stop it?! Just go please?! Go! Now!!”

 

I was mad. I hated the taste of this woman’s lips.

 

I was about to go for the door but it was already half-opened… and standing by it was the one person, who I wished did not see what just unfolded a few minutes ago.

 

Hyoyeon.

 

“Hyo… wait!!!”

 

She was running fast and it gets faster by the minute. I was running after her, I grabbed her arm at one point. It halted her.

 

“Hyo, baby. It’s nothing, please, listen to me. It’s not what you think!”

 

She was not looking back. She went for elevator trying so hard to have it opened. I held her by the shoulder, she pushed my hand aside, stepped inside and I did the same.

 

“Hyo, she kissed me! Didn’t you see that, I wasn’t even kissing back… God, please say something? You can slap me, kick me, but please listen to me!”

 

Undaunted, the doors opened again and she made her way towards the parking lot. Curious glances came after. I was walking beside her, trying to make her stop. Still, she has not spoken a word.

 

She fumbled for her car keys. I held her hand, but again, she pushed me.

 

“Junho, Just go. GOOO!”

 

“No, you’re not leaving, Just listen to me, please.”

 

“Leave me alone!!!”

 

She managed to get inside the car and I tried following her. She locked the doors. I tried stopping her but she sped up.

 

“! !!!”

 

=================

 

The road was stark.

 

Speed up, Hyo… speed up.

 

With tears streaming down my face, I knew that I had to leave at once.

 

Bereft of any emotion, I left him there… isolated in that spot and never looked back.

 

Cars in motion left and right… honking loud and clear…

 

The long wide stretch of pavement... with me and my wheels… accelerating, gaining more speed.

 

My car was going pedal to the metal. Honking sounds reverberated.

 

I drove and drove….

 

Beating the red light…

 

A ten-wheeler advancing….

 

I got scared….

 

In fact, I was crying. Fear sets in.

 

Two large yellow lights greeting me…

 

Then everything went pitch-black.

 

 

***************

 

Oh no!!!! Is this the end of their relationship???

What will happen to Hyoyeon???

Find out in the chapter finale!

Comment, Subscribe & Vote!